Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2007 4:19:55 PM EDT
I'm looking for 2-5 15 gallon water barrels, or 1-2 30 gallon, or 1 55 gallon water barrel. MUST be food grade, and a good price. I don't want to pay a new price for a used product ;-) Checked the coke bottling plant and they said they didn't sell them, not even to distributors. I don't really know where else I might find them locally unless I got lucky on craigslist. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/11/2007 6:39:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I get mine for a couple bucks each, 55 and 14's.  A friend in South Bend picks them up for me and I get them when I go to visit him.  I do not know his source, but it is soem guy in the area.  I could find out if that is a drvie you can make.
Link Posted: 9/11/2007 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Ill-noise for what that's worth, but I get mine for free from our Pepsi bottling company. Bottlers get much of their syrup in those plastic 55 gallon drums if that is what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 9/11/2007 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Those 55 gallon ones are exactly what I was looking for, but the coke bottling did not sell them (at least, thats what the lady on the phone said, maybe they give them away and she said no because they didn't sell? I don't know).

I could possibly drive to south bend depending on price on price and availability. Could you check on price and availability of both the 55 gallon and 14 gallon containers?

What part of illinois do you get yours from dab2? I will be driving through on my way to springfield (MO, not IL) and if it is somewhere between there I could possibly stop by and get one from them if they have any.
Link Posted: 9/11/2007 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Those 55 gallon ones are exactly what I was looking for, but the coke bottling did not sell them (at least, thats what the lady on the phone said, maybe they give them away and she said no because they didn't sell? I don't know).

I could possibly drive to south bend depending on price on price and availability. Could you check on price and availability of both the 55 gallon and 14 gallon containers?

What part of illinois do you get yours from dab2? I will be driving through on my way to springfield (MO, not IL) and if it is somewhere between there I could possibly stop by and get one from them if they have any.

E-mail is on the way!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 5:29:26 AM EDT
[#5]
If you ever get down to Terre Haute, there is a food grade container factory there that sells them. It is on the main drag, right before a big hill/overpass. Its a blue warehouse, and they have examples of all their products stuck to the side of the building.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If you just need one 55 gallon I will sell you one of my spares that are in storage right now.  But you will have to drive to me to do it.  I am going to the shoot friday night on the west side.  If you want to swing by there, I wil toss one in my truck Thursday when I am near my storage unit that has them.  Let me know by tonight if that works for you.

PS got your IM
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I was thinking about this the other day.  Can anyone suggest a place near Indy to obtain food safe barrels?
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I can tell you where to get the following in Scottsburg, Indiana.  Thur-Sunday at the flea market across from Walmart.  They take debit/charge with a very small fee.  I think it is .40 credit fee.

All are food grade and had food products in them and have been cleaned.

Blue poly with bungs $10
Blue poly (very hard to get) with removable lid and steel galvinized/locking ring $11
metal with removable lid $6
metal with bungs $5
5 gl jugs with screw on lid $2  !!!!

All barrels are 55 GL.  The removable lid polys are the shit for storage.  They have a gasket and the ring locks tight.  They had tomato paste.

I have gotten alot of these for members.  PM me if you need info.  I have zero interest in these, zero.  They are just a great deal.  Google those removable lid barrels.  They run $85 plus over sized shipping.  I had a member drive from Western KY to get a load.

Bob
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#9]
A buddy of mine in Cinci has these
http://cgi.ebay.com/210-Gallon-WATER-Storage-TANK-Tree-Watering-Can-TOTE_W0QQitemZ250171532820QQihZ015QQcategoryZ20547QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#10]
does drinking water store indefenatly in an air tite container, or is there a shelf life?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
does drinking water store indefenatly in an air tite container, or is there a shelf life?

City water will store fairly long even if no bleach is added.  the biggest issue is exposure to sun.  the next is germs/bugs.  Which is why when you drink from a bottle and then leave it in your truck it goes bad.  Germs enter from your mouth and the sun cooks it.

A good rule of thumb is change water you store every 6 months to a year.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Water is a stable compound and does not "go bad" per se. Organic matter in the water can cause blooms of bacteria or algae. If you're water gets crap growing in it use bleach or boiling to restore it to potable condition. Keep a supply of pure bleach (water and sodium hypoclorite 4 to 5% solution without detergents or scents added) for emergencies.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#13]
i have heard iodine helps purify water but don't know how much for how much. isn't bleach a poision, how much would you use for say 5 gal.?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#14]
The rule of thumb is 16 drops per gallon. I'm not suggesting you drink concentrated bleach, sodium hypoclorite is not poisonous in the small quantities we're talking about and is used as a disinfectant additive in many municipal delivery systems. The chlorine will also evaporate. If you're storing the water, try to seal in the chlorine, if intending to drink the water you can leave it open for a while to allow the chlorine to evaporate off. Pouring it between containers also helps the evaporation through aeration. I don't recommend iodine because of the very bad taste and the large percentage of the population that has iodine sensitivity.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:18:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The rule of thumb is 16 drops per gallon. I'm not suggesting you drink concentrated bleach, sodium hypoclorite is not poisonous in the small quantities we're talking about and is used as a disinfectant additive in many municipal delivery systems. The chlorine will also evaporate. If you're storing the water, try to seal in the chlorine, if intending to drink the water you can leave it open for a while to allow the chlorine to evaporate off. Pouring it between containers also helps the evaporation through aeration. I don't recommend iodine because of the very bad taste and the large percentage of the population that has iodine sensitivity.

do like 556 says and use chlorine
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top