Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/30/2011 10:42:16 AM EDT
Everybody ready for .25" to .75" of ice in FYV?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:48:42 AM EDT
Yup could get very interesting Tuesday night.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:59:16 AM EDT
how much ice does it take to drop a power line? when is the storm coming in? wife just got back from walmart and of course its a mad house
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:11:20 AM EDT
I am not up on power line physics. However, a saving grace may be that a lot of the weak lines and trees got dropped in the 2009 ice storm.

The storm should move in tomorrow night. Things may be ugly by daybreak Tuesday.

Current models show mostly snow (4" - 8") for Benton County and most ice for Washington County.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:14:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2011 11:15:31 AM EDT by stuckincal]
4-8 inchs would be nice. kids always have a lot of fun with the snow. the ice would suck. glade i live up in benton and down in washington. dreadful what city are u in?

stuck
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:27:56 AM EDT
We are near the state line in the Pea Ridge area.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:54:15 AM EDT
I'm ready for whatever.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:05:08 PM EDT
Throw another log on the bed, and dog on the fire........

Wait, wait......make that dog on the bad, log in the fire......

I always get those confused.....

Mcdonald Co. forecast from 40/29:

"Moderate to heavy winter precipitation will develop Monday night and continue into Tuesday. The snow will end Tuesday night.
Snow and sleet accumulations, moderate to heavy snow accumulations are expected. A significant accumulation of sleet is also possible. Snow accumulations greater than 6 inches appear likely along and north of interstate 44 with some areas possibly receiving around a foot of snow.
Ice accumulations, up to two tenths of an inch of ice is expected across southern Missouri with localized amounts of one quarter to one half of an inch. The highest ice accumulations are expected along and south of interstate 44 into the eastern ozarks.
Winds and visibility, strong and gusty north winds will lead to blowing and drifting of snow, along with the potential for near whiteout conditions from late Monday night into Tuesday.
Impacts, travel conditions will likely become extremely treacherous, especially from late Monday night into Tuesday. The combination of heavy snow and strong winds may make travel nearly impossible at times due to snow drifts and near zero visibilities.
Localized to scattered power outages cannot be ruled out, especially south of interstate 44 where ice is more likely.
Bitterly cold temperatures will follow this storm system and last into Friday morning. Sub zero temperatures will be likely by Thursday morning, with wind chills dropping into the 10 to 20 below range at times.
Precautionary/preparedness actions,
A winter storm watch means there is a potential for significant snow, sleet, or ice accumulations that may impact travel. Continue to monitor the latest forecasts".

Better make that 2 dogs....
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:37:16 PM EDT
Wood stacked, generator gased, fridge stacked, bookes stacked and ready to go. Yep I'm ready.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:39:57 PM EDT
Ill be working at the firehouse Monday night, should be interesting. Generator transfer switch was just installed on Thursday. I too just got back from the china mart, and it was crazy. Now to sit back and enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:49:42 PM EDT
the older two boys just brough in a extea big load of wood. man its nice having kids hopefully i can get my truck started if it gets icy. our van is not the best in the ice/snow. but our older 1 ton diesel does great with 4x4. its just getting it warm to get it started. i love diesel trucks. just not as much in winter.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:22:11 PM EDT
For the past 5 years XNA calls the company I work for to shovel snow and ice on the sidewalks when bad weather comes in. Since I am the only one with a badge to get in the secure areas I get stuck taking a crew out there whenever we get snow or ice. It really complicates matters since the wife's due date was today. She hates me going out there and leaving her even when she isn't pregnant, maybe she will go into labor before the storm hits and I won't have to go out there. I really hope they are over estimating this storm.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:56:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By hero2three:
Ill be working at the firehouse Monday night, should be interesting. Generator transfer switch was just installed on Thursday. I too just got back from the china mart, and it was crazy. Now to sit back and enjoy!

You poor bastard....I'm glad you weren't hurt in the obligatory rush to buy bread, eggs, and milk.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:36:45 PM EDT
The band appears to have shifted and the model now predicts .5" of ice for Benton County.

I think I will be doing a lot of telecommuting this week (if net access stays up).
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:29:32 PM EDT
I am hoping the models are wrong but preparing for the worst. Fuel for the generator, wood for the stove and getting the oil lamps down just in case. Since I live in NW Benton county I am praying that I get a lot more snow than ice and the ice ends up east and south. Tuesday's commute to work should be fun in Bentonville either way though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:43:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rlhollo:
Tuesday's commute to work should be fun in Bentonville either way though.

That's what I am thinking. I live in Fayetteville and work in Bentonville. Fun times on 540 may be ahead.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:47:49 AM EDT
For those of you that haven't seen it before, 40/29's weather blog has been useful in the past:

http://www.4029tv.com/weatherblog/index.html
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:20:46 AM EDT
Arkansas is in the medium loading district so the power poles should be designed to support at least a 1/4" radial ice thickness. The design strength can be increased if the power company decides.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:36:46 AM EDT
I sure hope you dont live in Bentonvilles Ambulance response area! I would hate to deliver your baby tonight! Either way, good luck with the soon to be new addition to the family!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:41:35 AM EDT
I am dreading it!!! Patrol bites when the weather is bad.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:41:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sarge38624:

What PD are you with?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:54:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ISED8U:
Originally Posted By sarge38624:

What PD are you with?

Siloam Springs

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:59:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:55:57 PM EDT
Personally, I hope my class that I'm teaching is canceled tomorrow, that way I can head over to teh females and hopefully get snowed in.

I'm thinking of heading to wally world tomorrow to pickup the essentials just to experience the mayhem.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:00:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By supplex:
Personally, I hope my class that I'm teaching is canceled tomorrow, that way I can head over to teh females and hopefully get snowed in.

I'm thinking of heading to wally world tomorrow to pickup the essentials just to experience the mayhem.

was starting to wonder if you were alive.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:06:07 PM EDT
I'm on call at the hospital tonight and off tomorrow. I will likely be staying in with my kiddo and watching the carnage unfold. The market was a madhouse tonight.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:15:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By far_right:

was starting to wonder if you were alive.

really, I wasn't, I was in Kommufornia for a few days.

That being said, I did shoot an AR and a ruger 22/45, just had to reload more often

Ohh, and clearing malfunctions due to shitty steel cased ammo is a bitch with a bullet button
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:38:58 AM EDT
we have 3-4 inchs of snow with about .3 of a inch of ice under. i left for work at 445 and it was just the freezing rain. then got off and drove home in the snow.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:46:56 AM EDT
It has been a fun day as well in the snow in NWA. On my way to work had a flat on the Blazer and had to get a new tire today before coming home. I have to really hand it to the Benton County Sheriff's office as one of there deputies stop this morning in the ice and snow at 5:30AM to help me, I wished I asked his name so I could write to sheriff to thank him personally.

Being in extreme NW Benton county we did not get much ice but as of 14:30 we had 8 inches of snow in the yard and it is still snowing really hard. I expect to see 10 or 11 inches before it is over. I am really, really glad I brought in about a half a rick of wood last night before bed. I should have enough to last until next Monday or Tuesday.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:58:32 AM EDT
It has been a fun day as well in the snow in NWA. On my way to work had a flat on the Blazer and had to get a new tire today before coming home. I have to really hand it to the Benton County Sheriff's office as one of there deputies stop this morning in the ice and snow at 5:30AM to help me, I wished I asked his name so I could write to sheriff to thank him personally.

Being in extreme NW Benton county we did not get much ice but as of 14:30 we had 8 inches of snow in the yard and it is still snowing really hard. I expect to see 10 or 11 inches before it is over. I am really, really glad I brought in about a half a rick of wood last night before bed. I should have enough to last until next Monday or Tuesday.

cold and clear here.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:31:00 PM EDT

Live near the cornerstone rlhollo?

The deputies in the West are usually pretty cool, IMHO. I usually stop and talk with the short deputy, who takes great pride in the non-eventfull goings on in the area.

We got 6-8" as well, a little ice. Going to dig the truck out in a few..
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:51:27 PM EDT
We got a little ice, some sleet, and about 4" of snow.

It was pretty much a fizzle.

I have photos of me sitting on 4' of snow here back in '68.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:42:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2011 2:42:44 PM EDT by rlhollo]
Live near the cornerstone rlhollo?

I live west of Gravette about 2 or three miles up Georgia Flat's Road.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:37:19 PM EDT
I was at XNA from 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m shoveling/scraping ice and snow and we go back at 7 in the morning. I had two guys that couldn't make it, so it was me and two others until noon keeping all of the sidewalks clean with shovels, scrapers, and chemical. I wouldn't mind if I never saw snow or ice again.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:06:41 PM EDT
22F and flurries here in Alexander currently.

Just got back from WLR, lots of ice patches. Lots of police working wrecks and road blocks to keep people off the ice.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:10:45 PM EDT
forecast looks pretty mild as far as precipitation in the coming days, though it will be quite cold.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:27:20 PM EDT
forecast looks pretty mild as far as precipitation in the coming days, though it will be quite cold.

Yeah. -6 in Springdale...
Top Top