Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2007 9:12:55 PM EDT
Okay, going through the law, I can't find anything that would preclude a guy from qualifying with a Short Barreled Shotgun and adding it to his CCW. Am I missing anything? I know we had this discussion a while back and somebody knew somebody who had an MP5K on his CCW. the definition of concealed weapon is pretty clear:(from NRS 202.350)
(d) Carry concealed upon his person any:

(1) Explosive substance, other than ammunition or any components thereof;

(2) Dirk, dagger or machete;

(3) Pistol, revolver or other firearm, or other dangerous or deadly weapon; or

(4) Knife which is made an integral part of a belt buckle.

or: (FromNRS 202.253  Definitions)

3.  “Firearm capable of being concealed upon the person” applies to and includes all firearms having a barrel less than 12 inches in length.

Anybody got any ideas or leads? Just kinda considering a few fun things...
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:31:08 AM EDT
[#1]
There is nothing that states that you can/cannot have it on your permit.  I don't know if any county that knows their weapons will catch it and then say 'no'.  By the way..... are you referring to an AOW?

You might want to shift your focus on liability reasons.  There are some instructors that will NOT qualify your shotgun due to liability and IMHO, I wouldn't carry it as a primary carry gun.  Just use common sense.  You probably wouldn't have to worry about the criminal side but the liablity/civil side it what will destroy you.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:12:43 AM EDT
[#2]
as far as i know u r not able to have a NFA item on your ccw.. if im wrong i need to find a nice iwb holster for my suppressed p22.. lol....

jon..
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:37:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I was indeed also considering an AOW.
I am aware of the potential liabilities. It's not something I plan to tote around town on grocery runs unless things have really gone to hell at Scolari's. I am just considering flushing out my collection of goodies and I was wondering whether or not an SBS, SBR or AOW would be do-able. I might also consider putting a 10.5 inch AR SBR on if it will fly.

Okay, Mr Pball, since you brought it up, let's open that discussion, too.
Is there any reason you can't CCW a suppressed weapon? My Mark II is already on my permit , along with a nice leather FIST hip holster. With the TAC65 on a belt pouch or in my pocket, is that illegal? How about if I screw it on to the weapon? How about if I qualify with the Mark II and the TAC65 together?
Is there a set of regulations that instructors have that could be shared with the rest of us?

Before this argument comes up: Yes, I know this is pushing the issue a bit. Yes, I know this is going to look like I am stirring up trouble and if we just lay low they will leave us alone. I also know that if we do not exercise our rights, they will be casually taken away from us. I take my suppressor to work with me and display it. I bring it out and start a discussion. People have no idea what is legal and what isn't. They can't believe it. I had a South Lake Tahoe PD officer who was afraid to touch it because he didn't believe it was legal! My point is, if we only enjoy this hobby because we skulk about, hoping they "don't come for us", we are just as bad as Zumbo. I also like toys and I am trying to compensate for my small winkie, so a short shotty would be uber-cool.    
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was indeed also considering an AOW.
I am aware of the potential liabilities. It's not something I plan to tote around town on grocery runs unless things have really gone to hell at Scolari's. I am just considering flushing out my collection of goodies and I was wondering whether or not an SBS, SBR or AOW would be do-able. I might also consider putting a 10.5 inch AR SBR on if it will fly.

Is there any reason you can't CCW a suppressed weapon? My Mark II is already on my permit , along with a nice leather FIST hip holster. With the TAC65 on a belt pouch or in my pocket, is that illegal? How about if I screw it on to the weapon? How about if I qualify with the Mark II and the TAC65 together?
Is there a set of regulations that instructors have that could be shared with the rest of us?

If you have time to screw on a suppressor to use it in a self defense scenario, then you were obviously not in danger.  You went on the offensive the second you began to screw on the suppressor.  If it's an suppressed hangun (barrel), then I don't see any problems with it.  If I'm in danger, I want EVERYONE to witness and hear the situation if shots were fired.  No need for suppressing the firearm.

Suppressors are not considered firearms so carrying one concealed that is not attached to the weapon is no biggie.  You'll just have a lot of explaining to do to an officer if you have one attached to your belt.  Again, use common sense.

You mention 'things gone to hell'..... if SHTF, you should be staying home and let the LEO's do their job.  Are you saying that you are going to run around town with your SBRs, SBSs, and suppressors while the LEO's are trying to restore order?  As for me.... I'm staying home watching the news while protecting my family and castle.  No reason for me to go out and about the town.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I know this may come as a surprise to many folks around this forum, but Nevada is made up of a bazillion acres of open desert, mountains, and meadows, broken up by the occasional small town and one big clustercoitus in the South. I was just kidding about a trip to Scolari's, but I put my MarkII on my CCW specifically because if I am out and about in the woods and I swing in for gas and ding-dongs, I have the option of covering up and not scaring the natives.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I also like toys and I am trying to compensate for my small winkie, so a short shotty would be uber-cool.    

Oh, THAT's why you got the 9" suppressor, rather than the 7" like mine.

I was wondering ......
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You mention 'things gone to hell'..... if SHTF, you should be staying home and let the LEO's do their job.  .

Hey, there's always the trip TO home from the office...
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Dont think the can issues is addressed by Nevada but if you did not mention it on your form 4 then you could have an issue.

Most people put "Shooting And Investment" etc etc

ATF could say you were using it for an undeclared purpose as you have not put self defense on the form

What you should put is "Any Legal Purpose"
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Dont think the can issues is addressed by Nevada but if you did not mention it on your form 4 then you could have an issue.

Most people put "Shooting And Investment" etc etc

ATF could say you were using it for an undeclared purpose as you have not put self defense on the form

What you should put is "Any Legal Purpose"

I put "ALL LEGAL PURPOSES" on my forms.  Pedro66 does bring a very valid point.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I
Is there any reason you can't CCW a suppressed weapon?

i heard it sumwhere befor but hey i could be wrong..

My Mark II is already on my permit , along with a nice leather FIST hip holster. With the TAC65 on a belt pouch or in my pocket, is that illegal?

sure its legal that way but what purpose would it serve.. if u have to draw your firearm in a defensive manner r u really gunna take the time to put on your suppressor.. i dont think so.. i have my p22 on my ccw but i sure dont plan on ever carrying it with my 65 screwed on..

How about if I screw it on to the weapon? How about if I qualify with the Mark II and the TAC65 together?

you are qualifying with the firearm not any of its fancy attachments.. that would be like me saying i qualified with glock lite on my 19 .. it  really doesnt make any difference..

im sure  that if there is regulations ither ISHOOT or  Jim M. will be along to let us know..i was just letting u know what i have been told ..

jon..
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Like i said before, I may be bummin' around the woods with it on, or whatever. That makes it illegal if I cover it with my coat, even out in the middle of nowhere, where the law might be a ranger. Just kinda spitballin' and wonderin', besides, without MeanSteve, what else do we have to talk about except guns and laws in Nevada?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top