Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/3/2005 5:59:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2005 6:00:37 AM EDT by u-baddog]
hamptonroads.cox.net/cci/newslocal/local?_mode=view&view=LocalNewsArticleView&articleId=987439

NRA Endorses Democrat Deeds for Attorney General
10-03-2005 8:29 AM

(Richmond, VA) -- For the first time in eight years, the National Rifle Association is endorsing a Democrat for statewide office in Virginia. The NRA has thrown its support behind Creigh (cree) Deeds for attorney general. The endorsement could prove critical in a race that is seen as very tight. Deeds is running against Republican state delegate Bob McDonnell. Deeds says the NRA's endorsement validates what he says is his lifelong support for gun and hunting rights. The NRA points out that Deeds sponsored legislation that led to a state Constitutional amendment guaranteeing the right to hunt.

I just dont know how I am going pull the trigger on this one. I will do a little more checking on Mr Deeds and see how he fairs on other issues. A DEM

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:48:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2005 8:50:45 AM EDT by Bubbles]
What did you expect? His Republican opponent voted against that "Right to Hunt & Fish" amendment to the state Constitution that was sponsored by Deeds, and eventually passed by a huge margin in the statewide referendum.

IMO this is fine. The NRA needs to be non-partisan, or else we'd call them the "National Republican Apologists".
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:51:31 AM EDT
Mr Deeds must be a free thinker, its rare a Dem will break from the herd and vote pro gun/hunting.
I thhink the NRA must look both the person and the party. They have to keep in mind the balance between Rep and Dems. I would hate to see another Clinton era congress.
I dont vote any party line I vote for the best person for the job. I just cant remember the last time the NRA gave a nod to anyone that was a Dem.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:10:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bubbles:
IMO this is fine. The NRA needs to be non-partisan, or else we'd call them the "National Republican Apologists".

Well put. Even on DU one will find several posters that argue for the right to keep and bear arms for sporting AND self-defense.

The NRA should be concerned with the issues concerning their mission, nothing more. Shouldn't matter the party, though I'm not sure if they ever consider candidates other than Republican and Democrat. The educated voter is supposed to take this information (from trusted organizations for issues they are interested in) along with personal research and use to to select their preferred candidate.

Otherwise they would simply print "This year's Republican candidate is <strongly|mildly> <pro-|anti-> gun".
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:05:04 AM EDT
Funny, I'll be going against the NRA on this one, based primarily on a related gun rights issue.
Bob McDonnell has actively brought forth bills against some of my pet peeves in VA law: the overregulation of smokeless powder storage based on local fire codes. This is the same issue that currently causing the powder buying PITA at local gunshows. See link to .pdf file here: http://www.geocities.com/vasportsmen/FBB404.pdf
For that alone, he'll get my support. I also support his stance on other social and fiscal priorities,besides gun rights.

Honestly though, I'd not be disappointed to see Deeds in the office either. We really don't have a losing bet in the AG race.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:16:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By u-baddog:
Mr Deeds must be a free thinker, its rare a Dem will break from the herd and vote pro gun/hunting.
I thhink the NRA must look both the person and the party. They have to keep in mind the balance between Rep and Dems. I would hate to see another Clinton era congress.
I dont vote any party line I vote for the best person for the job. I just cant remember the last time the NRA gave a nod to anyone that was a Dem.

Expect it not to be so rare in the future. The Dems are learning from their past lessons and quite a few are beginning to court the gun owners in a bid for a return to majority status. Warner proved that gun rights is a winning stance and the Dems see that the Republicans take us gun owners for granted. Hell, even Feingold said during the confirmation hearings for Roberts that he believes the 2nd Amendment refers to an individual right. Hell surely must have frozen over.

The landscape of politics is changing my friends... the Virginia Governors race is a gift to us in the fact that we'll be able to cement our importance if we play our cards right. This has the possibility of causing a shockwave across the country if we pull it off right.

Our cause is helped by the NRA stance on the AG race but I wish they would pull their endorsement of Kilgore...

Mike
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:39:13 AM EDT
I've known Creigh for over 20 years. I had cases against him when he was Commonwealth's Attorney in Highland County, including one where he was prosecuting my client for allegedly jacklighting a deer. Creigh grew up in that area and has hunted and fished all his life. Although he is political to the bone, I'm convinced his support of hunting rights is genuine rather than an affectation to gain votes. Frankly, I think his ideas on a lot of issues are more conservative than what I see coming out of Washington now.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:37:46 AM EDT
Next year will be very interesting. Ok so Deed wants to make sure we have the right to hunt and fish. What does that have to do with owning weapons? Also having the right to hunt and fish is worthless if we trade that for having the state increase taxes and regulations. I am still going to vote Republican on this one....
Top Top