BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 6:14:56 AM EDT
www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060405/NEWS02/604050417/1070/NEWS02

State trooper wounded in incident at Dover home
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 04/5/06
BY MATT PORIO
TOMS RIVER BUREAU
DOVER TOWNSHIP — An off-duty State Police trooper was shot in the stomach Tuesday night in an incident authorities say was accidental.

The trooper — whose name was not released — was expected to undergo surgery after he was taken by a family member to Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune Tuesday night, said Sgt. Jeanne Hengemuhle of the State Police public information office.

The trooper was reported alert and conscious after the shooting but was listed in critical but stable condition when he was admitted to the hospital, Hengemuhle said.

The incident occurred around 6:15 p.m., and involved one bullet and no other individuals, she said.

The gun involved was "not his duty weapon" nor another weapon he owns, she said.

Dover Township Police Chief Michael G. Mastronardy said the shooting occurred at a Nebraska Avenue address.

Hengemuhle said the home is not the trooper's.

The circumstances of the shooting were not known. The shooting was being investigated Tuesday night.

"I can't comment until I get more information," Hengemuhle said.

It seems like a mini-spurt in the reporting of gun related incidents in the local paper.

Sounds like he and his wife were visiting some friends for dinner and he and his buddy were "checking out" his buddy's collection.

More violations of basic safety protocols - making us all look bad.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Idiot
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Wouldn't it be ironic if this was the same guy who said "I'M THE ONLY PERSON IN THIS ROOM QUALIFIED TO HANDLE A GLOCK....(bang, oh shit...uh...)
Hopefully the guy will be alright, getting shot really sucks.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:19:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Wouldn't it be ironic if this was the same guy who said "I'M THE ONLY PERSON IN THIS ROOM QUALIFIED TO HANDLE A GLOCK....(bang, oh shit...uh...)
Hopefully the guy will be alright, getting shot really sucks.  

lol..Hopefully he'll be alright anyway.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Idiot

Why are you so quick to label him an idiot? I didn't read anything that
would warrant it - yet. I think we are probably capable of something like
this .  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#5]
The incident occurred around 6:15 p.m., and involved one bullet and no other individuals, she said.

If you shoot yourself, you are an idiot.  There is no possible way to discharge a weapon into yourself if you follow the three rules:

Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
Do not point any weapon at anything you do not want destroyed.
Know your target and what lies beyond.

If I shot myself in the gut, negligent/accidental discharge, I would be an idiot.  You see its not really that difficult.

ETA In light of wallyh4184's post.  I will now give the idiot label to whomever shot the trooper.

Will there be charges filed, I wonder?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I can't give details but the trooper did not shoot himself.  He is expected to recover but will be hospitalized for a while.  .25 cal Beretta
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If you shoot yourself, you are an idiot.  There is no possible way to discharge a weapon into yourself if you follow the three rules:

Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
Do not point any weapon at anything you do not want destroyed.
Know your target and what lies beyond.

If I shot myself in the gut, negligent/accidental discharge, I would be an idiot.  You see its not really that difficult.

ETA In light of wallyh4184's post.  I will now give the idiot label to whomever shot the trooper.

Will there be charges filed, I wonder?

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest but you made my point. It really isn't that difficult
to do something like this. I haven't shot myself  but I've made mistakes that could have easily been alot worse. You probably have too....

Things like this remind all of us to be more careful...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top