Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 6:39:08 PM EDT
I am in the process of buying an AR15. I live in NJ and have read the laws pertaining to NJ on this site. However, I still am a little confused on what I can and can't have, the laws are too "legal mumbo jumbo". Also, I am an Air Force CSAR veteran. I have heard that veterans are an exception to the rule whe nbuying weapons.

Any clarification on these two questions woul be great.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I may be mistaken, but I don't think veterans are exempt from firearms laws.  As an active duty law enforcement or military you MAY sneak some things by, but that's about it AFAIK.

Welcome to the site, BTW .
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#2]
well, veterans might be able to benefit from that proposed NFA amnesty i keep hearing rumors about.  not that it matters in jersey
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I know the mags can't exceed 15 rnds. What about a collapsible stock? Is that legal?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:31:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I know the mags can't exceed 15 rnds. What about a collapsible stock? Is that legal?

Nope, not at all. Folding is a no-go too.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:55:52 AM EDT
[#5]
There's nothing in the law that exempts vets from the AR restrictions here, unfortunately.  

Two things in the law that you need to use in tuning your shopping list:

1.) The list of named firearms that are banned.  It's right there in the text of the law itself, don't buy any of those specific manufacturer/model items.

2.) The list of banned features.  AR-15 type rifles have a pistol grip and detachable mag, so the rest of the banned-feature list is a no-no.  No bayonet lug, no flash hider, no telescoping stock, etc.

Mag capacity has already been covered and it's very non-negotiable here.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:19:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, not at all. Folding is a no-go too.

I know I have said this before...   but it just makes me nuts that NJ allows the stubby stock on a bushmaster but not a collapsable...   the stubby is just as short as the fully collapsed collapsable..   NJ SUX ...  sry for my rant : )

If you go to any gunshop in NJ and they have an AR it is more than likely NJ legal.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I just bought a Bushy Carbon 15 Model 4.

I have one last question that I forgot to ask the gun shop. I want to buy an ACE ARFX Entry Stock. It is a fixed skeleton stock so I'm guessing due to it being a fixed stock I am good to go?

www.aceltdusa.com/ar15.htm
Fifth set of pics.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#8]
As long as it's fixed and not telescoping, should be fine.  

It's very common to use fixed versions of M4-type stocks here in NJ, the market is saturated with take-offs now that the ban is gone in the USA.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I hate to say this but the only exception to this NJ gun laws were the gansgters, theft, murderers, drug traffickers and many more critters that does not bother to get an FID to purchase a firearm. If you're a lawful man please check the ban list and be happy with what's left,... please don't start thingking of moving out of NJ
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#10]
NJ;
no collapsable or folding stocks on AR 15.
No flash hiders, but brakes are ok, provided they are permanently fixed by welding.
No bayonet lugs.
Minumum barrel length is 16" total.
"Pre-ban" weapons had to be registered by a certain date back when the AWB was enacted.
Sunset weapons still must comply with post-ban BS
Grey area about mags, as NJ enforces 10 rounders at point of retail sale.  Grey area about being blocked to 15 rounds.
Even posession of 20 rounders with your AR 15 is a misdemeanor.
****Only LE ACTIVE officers are exempt from these restrictions.
Now that Corzine is in, we'll have to watch it get worse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top