Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 6:58:28 AM EDT
I know about the separation of gun and ammo on the way to the range, however are these types of bags legal?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BAG141-3047-1078.html

The gun is in a zippered bag inside the larger that would carry the ammo. In my car, there would be the one bag with ammo and gun in the same bag, however it is a bag within a bag.

Right now, I using two separate bags which is a pain.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess no one owns a handgun...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I know about the separation of gun and ammo on the way to the range, however are these types of bags legal?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BAG141-3047-1078.html

The gun is in a zippered bag inside the larger that would carry the ammo. In my car, there would be the one bag with ammo and gun in the same bag, however it is a bag within a bag.

Right now, I using two separate bags which is a pain.

It is my understanding that the gun and ammo are legally required to be in separate locked containers stored seperatly from each other.  

Keeping the gun inside a zippered bag within the ammo container I am pretty certain would not be legal.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#3]
You didn't mention whether you have a lockable trunk separate from the passenger compartment.

That makes a difference regarding how you can transport the firearm / ammunition.

Here are relevant wordings from the NJ laws link in this forum:

• Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

• The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

D. The firearm is unloaded

E. The firearm is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle

F. The ammunition is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle

G. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle’s glove compartment or console;

2. To carry any firearm unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported and the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances from

The ammunition should be stored in a closed and fastened container or locked in the trunk of the motor vehicle in which it is being transported.

Everything focuses on ensuring the following:
 a) the firearm is unloaded
 b) the firearm is inaccessible from the passenger compartment (either in trunk or locked in container)
 c) the ammunition is inaccessible from the passenger compartment (either in trunk or locked in container)

I haven't actually seen any wording requiring that the firearm & ammunition be in "separate" locked containers.

Perhaps someone could help point this out, it has been referred to quite a bit.

Maybe I'm missing some relevant section or case law.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I don't actually believe the firearm and ammunition are REQUIRED to be kept in separate containers, but I've always thought it was a bit safer than transporting them "together".
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a lockable big range bag that always has all the stuff I needed. I also has an lockable ammo bag, my pistols were in a lockable container. I always carry it in the trunk inside the locked big range bag, and I saw a lot of people do the same. Three padlocks and having inside the trunk count as fourth lock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top