Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
7/8/2020 3:01:36 PM
Posted: 11/1/2013 4:24:00 PM EDT
Yup, that's right.  I just found out that during my initial NJ FID application process, my local PD DID do a neighbor check as they described it.  They'd said they would but I sort of assumed they were blowing smoke to shell game the unlawful delays that we all know about.

My neighbor stops me the other day, almost a year after my approval, and asks if I hunt.  That led to him telling me that someone had knocked on their door and asked questions about me.  Basically told a neighbor that there might, in the future, be a firearm in my home.

So, what good is the background check that the liberals are blasting as inadequate, one I willfully submit to as required, if they choose to ignore the results anyway and inform my neighbors of my personal business during their witch hunt?  Where are the liberals when my civil liberties are being so brazenly ignored?  I guess the right to privacy no longer applies.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 5:39:27 PM EDT
Move to PA.  Seriously.  When I got my CHL in 2008 I found out they didn't even call my character references let alone mail them anything.  There is nowhere in NJ you can't get to from PA in two hours, I don't know why I stayed as long as I did.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 12:35:40 AM EDT
That's pretty scary. Never heard of that being done before. What business is it of your Neighbor if you own a firearm or not? I don't see the logic in even asking.

This State gets more insane everyday. We are turning more and more into a Police State with the Govt. just getting more and more into our lives.

Ronald Regan said it best, "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 4:38:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 5:32:40 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LUGERMAN:
That's pretty scary. Never heard of that being done before. What business is it of your Neighbor if you own a firearm or not? I don't see the logic in even asking.

This State gets more insane everyday. We are turning more and more into a Police State with the Govt. just getting more and more into our lives.

Ronald Regan said it best, "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"
View Quote

You did not get the memo?

We already live in a police state!
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 7:42:17 AM EDT
Yeah it's insane.  Really tough to believe they get away with it.  

I'd consider PA if I didn't work and live as far away as I do.  I live in Bayonne right now and work in Jersey City right on the water across from downtown NYC.  I'd be looking at a 2.5 hour commute each way, into the sun both ways during the summer.  I'm not the type to spend 5 hours per day commuting.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 9:44:04 AM EDT
I'm pretty sure it's  against NJ state law for local police departments/municipalities to add additional requirements to the FOID card process.  Contacting your references is part of that process, but contacting anyone else is not.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:56:55 AM EDT
Things like this, is the reason we call it New Jermany.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 6:38:50 PM EDT
Just applied for a purchase permit.

My wife got a letter to fill out asking  if she had any objections or reasons why I shouldn't be issued one.

And my employer got one one too......even though I am employed in NY City!

WTF is this about?  I never had this before.  I already have a FID....I just want one purchase permit!
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 3:56:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:57:09 PM EDT
I'm glad that didn't happen for me. The old guy next door hates me, because I park a work van in the street
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 5:03:35 PM EDT
I have been shooting with the one neighbor, were worked in the same department together years ago, the other side has issues, I won't follow their HOA rules.... cause I don't live in their friggin HOA
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 8:26:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:

I'd consider PA if I didn't work and live as far away as I do.  I live in Bayonne right now and work in Jersey City right on the water across from downtown NYC.  I'd be looking at a 2.5 hour commute each way, into the sun both ways during the summer.  I'm not the type to spend 5 hours per day commuting.
View Quote

I stayed within my company and moved to another office.  I was fortunate to have the opportunity to do so without losing my benefits and longevity.  Honestly I could have taken a $10k/year income loss and have made out okay.  My property was $120k less than an equal plot in NJ and my taxes are $4,400 a year versus my inlaws paying $8,900 for comparable land (same acerage, same size house, we both have pools) in Hunterdon.  Unless you work on Walll St or for NYPD you can probably find a job in the same field in PA.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 8:41:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By burnka871:
I'm glad that didn't happen for me. The old guy next door hates me, because I park a work van in the street
View Quote

My one grumpy old neighbor came out yesterday as I was charging my tractor.... took one look, got up from his chair and went inside... wait until I put the sleeve hitch, I will be plowing and planting clover in my yard.... wish I could borrow a horse for a day or two?
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 11:29:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TheWind:
My one grumpy old neighbor came out yesterday as I was charging my tractor.... took one look, got up from his chair and went inside... wait until I put the sleeve hitch, I will be plowing and planting clover in my yard.... wish I could borrow a horse for a day or two?
View Quote

If Dad was alive I'd say he would ride on down to help you out. He was Mounted Artillery in WWI. I must add he really did like his 45ACP too.

Maxwell
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 11:50:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/4/2013 11:52:09 AM EDT by TheWind]
Friend of mine his Dad was calvary right before WW2..tranistioned to tanks with Patton, I miss him, great stories, he was a chaplain on Air America...Dammit Jim.... one of my old students has horses, maybe HurricaineAllie would like a Horse ride for her next birthday
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 2:19:01 PM EDT
Last time I applied for a PPP they sent a reference letter to my office.  I got called into HR and everything.  My corp has a policy about character references and such, it was not a good situation to be in.  Next time I apply I'm going to speak with the Detective and the Chief, if necessary, to make sure that does not happen again. They are legally only allowed to contact your references about character, and your employer about employment status ONLY.

OP, NJ2AS is the org to call if you're looking to do something about it, they are all over this extra requirements stuff.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 3:52:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By joeyd16779:
Just applied for a purchase permit.

My wife got a letter to fill out asking  if she had any objections or reasons why I shouldn't be issued one.

And my employer got one one too......even though I am employed in NY City!

WTF is this about?  I never had this before.  I already have a FID....I just want one purchase permit!
View Quote

I also had to ask my employer, a public well known company,  to fill out a proof of employment form.  It was identical to the reference form.  Asking things such as "does this person have any personal problems?"  Not kidding, that's a question they asked.  My HR Rep, 700 miles or more from me, said she was not willing to complete that form.  Rightfully, and I told her as much and said that I was embarrassed.  My PD, after telling them these embarrassing facts, said just to X out the areas like that and just confirm my proof of employment.  Then, the neighbor check.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 3:59:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KnuckleSandwich:
Last time I applied for a PPP they sent a reference letter to my office.  I got called into HR and everything.  My corp has a policy about character references and such, it was not a good situation to be in.  Next time I apply I'm going to speak with the Detective and the Chief, if necessary, to make sure that does not happen again. They are legally only allowed to contact your references about character, and your employer about employment status ONLY.

OP, NJ2AS is the org to call if you're looking to do something about it, they are all over this extra requirements stuff.
View Quote

Roger that. I'll admit right now that I, like others, am unlikely to put up much of a fight.  I'm a regular guy and don't have the steam for a legal battle of which I can't afford.  Just full honesty there.  But, man it's not right.  Feels like I've been invaded upon for nothing.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 3:43:25 PM EDT
I am so happy I dont live there anymore. Living in New Mexico is so nice. No gun kaws like that, lower taxes cheap car insurance nice weather no crowds lots of open land Heaven
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:17:52 AM EDT
I was looking for something else and found this thread.  I had no idea you guys up there had to put up with this kind of $hit - a card to buy ammo, character witnesses, neighbor interviews, arrested for transporting without a card, etc.  Life is much simpler elsewhere.  Here we buy guns, and ammo at will with only our wallet being the judge.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:35:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:35:11 AM EDT
And I am on day 47....awaiting the purchase permit to pick-up a handgun sitting at my FFL.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:30:48 AM EDT
you guys are crazy for not pursing this further.  What those departments did is illegal.  If you care enough to bring it here, you better care enough to help the cause and press these illegal moves
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:39:29 PM EDT
there ya have it !   Fkkkk NJ. they are out of thier minds !!!!    or shit, buy a little 30k house there... or most other states
most of the Country is Pro Gun. i was in TX for ten days staying with a friend, and all you heard on the radio was
gun show here... guns on sale there....LOL. its a whole different world out there outside of NJ,NY, CA.   they can blow me.
its makes my stomach hurt to hear this type of stuff everytime i talk to a NJ gun owner....

fkkkk NJ.

Originally Posted By ICEMAN19047:
Move to PA.  Seriously.  When I got my CHL in 2008 I found out they didn't even call my character references let alone mail them anything.  There is nowhere in NJ you can't get to from PA in two hours, I don't know why I stayed as long as I did.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:40:27 PM EDT
the other stupid thing is Now the neighbor knows you have guns. he tells someone tells someone..
then you get robbed.... thanks NJ.

Originally Posted By LUGERMAN:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:42:25 PM EDT
i know so many that do it, and commute to NYC from Bucks County. Freedom isnt Free nor is it easy !!!!!

Originally Posted By DV8EDD:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:06:01 AM EDT
Top Top