Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/17/2005 6:10:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:24:42 PM EDT
I don't know how it is there. Why don't you contact the DMV and see if you can get a temp tag for moving it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:25:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:59:04 PM EDT
You should be able to obtain what's known as a moving permit from DMV. If NHP catches you on the road with no registration, or no proof of insurance, it get's impounded and towed plus NHP places a hold on the trailer until such time as you obtain registration and proof of insurance on it. Large, large dollars for the towing, impound, and storage, while the meter continues to run until you prove to NHP you've registered and insured it. Then and only then, will they release the hold and allow you to bail it out. Decide not to pick it up? You're still responsible for all the accrued charges and many companies will litigate to collect the lien charges they place against the impounded trailer. No way will NHP allow you to just let it sit on the side of the road or merely cite you. The DMV bullshit as you call it, is a lot less hassle IMHO. But as always, YMMV.

The above advise is worth less than you paid for the trailer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:12:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:13:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:18:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NONEYA:
I don't know how it is there. Why don't you contact the DMV and see if you can get a temp tag for moving it.


You can get a temporary movement permit.

You should check with DMV online before you move the trailer. Nevada DMV (Boats and Manufactured Housing)

Hope this helps.

Be Safe.


Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:23:55 PM EDT
Yep. Get the temporary moving permit, insure it for a week, haul it, and be done with the whole mess. LOTS cheaper in the long run IF something should go sideways.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:30:36 PM EDT
Stop being such a sissy and tow it with someone other than myself following you....sheesh.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:31:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Wolfpack:
OK, I picked up an old trailer for basically free, it is in great shape and I'm gonna take it out to Rachel to have a place to crash when I'm out there. It was last registered in 1994 in Cali, I have the Cali title. Would you guys just take the chance and haul it out there, I'd probably have someone follow me in case the brake lights don't work or should I go through all the DMV bullshit with changing the title, safety check, registering and all that for it's one and only 2 hour trip to Rachel. Once it's there it ain't ever leaving. If I got pulled over what would happen? They couldn't tell me just to leave it on the side of the road right? It would just be a fine? I could handle paying a fine better than going through the DMV hops on this but if they tell me to park it in the middle of nowhere I would rather register it.

The only part I'm hating about this is that new NHP officer...he is a real hardass and gets wet thinking of ticketing people. I see people drive around for months in Vegas with no plates at all of their car too.

so what then... you have a plot of land in Rachel?
how much was that?

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:02:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 7:04:40 AM EDT by Hiwathl]
WP just do it,I hope the axle bearings are greased and tires are up to snuff run a blocker and ya' have your little cabin on your piece of Heaven.Good Luck
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:33:15 AM EDT

....have you considered towing it on a flat-bed???? Just roll it on, and roll it off when you get there. Don't know the insurance requirements (if any) or expenses, for a one-time haul; but pro'bly the safest.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:17:34 AM EDT
A quick thought. Do you have a bill of sale? A bill of sale is usually good for 10 days. I have gotten temp permits for homemade trailers that I needed to get from point "A" to point "B". They just need a VIN and Vehicle make and model I believe. Also, as far as I know, insurance isn't needed on any trailers. They recommend it, I believe, but its not neccessary. I have never had to insure any trailers, or know of anyone that has had to. This is a camp trailer right?

So, take the title into the DMV office (call first), tell them you need a temp permit to move it from point "A" to point "B" and do it in that prescribed amount of time. As long as you have the title, there should be no problem. Tell them where the vehicle is at, and where it is going, can't see anything going wrong.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:46:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:47:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:50:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:54:54 AM EDT
That should work. That bill of sale should automatically act as a "temp" permit for 10 days before it has to be regsistered.
Top Top