Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/25/2006 9:43:46 PM EDT
They had an airplane up friday running a speed trap on 80 west of Reno. Its the first time I've seen them do this in three years.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:41:39 PM EDT
Makes me glad I don't have an automobile that can make it up past seventy miles per.

Man, I'll never go back to 1985 at this rate.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:13:46 AM EDT
Huh. Much harder to rear-end a caddy with an airplane, I guess they do it differently in the north.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:26:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/26/2006 12:27:42 AM EDT by ColSanders]
Guy posted on GT the other day that he got pulled over outside of Vegas and the guy had said an airplane clocked him.

It was Presidents day I think.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:58:24 AM EDT
Those guys that fly that shitbox are a riot. They show up at the air races and park thier 182RG next to F15's and F16's. To top it all off they wear nomex flight suits.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:16:26 AM EDT
There is one up north and one in the south.

They finally have their staff up enough to run the operation again.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:16:29 PM EDT
In truck driver vernacular: "bear in the air"
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:56:57 PM EDT
Here's the NHP Aviation Units website:

http://www.nhp.nv.gov/Air_Operations.htm
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:46:06 PM EDT
Arlis---
Thanks for the heads up. They love to troll Washoe Valley and I tend to let it fly through there.
---AllAlphas
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:25:12 AM EDT
If I got a ticket for 81 in a 75 I would lose my job
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:25:19 AM EDT
I've seen the "Patrolled by Aircraft" signs on the highways in rural areas, but I've never heard of anyone personally getting a speeding ticket due to the air patrols.

The rural highways of Nevada are pretty long and flat. Personally I respect speed limits and I try not to exceed more than 10 MPH over the posted limit. But then again there are idiots that will put us all at risk and drive in excess to the extent of reckless driving and endangering everyone else on the roadways.

I often drive on US 93/95 between Las Vegas and Boulder City where the speed limit is 65 MPH. I have witnessed cars and motorcycles (crotch rockets) speed past me so fast that they are just a blur. I drive a full-size pickup and when these speeding vehicles zip past me it causes me to slow down for fear of losing control. Those idiots need to be dealt with accordingly. As for the guy like me, I think that the Trooper/Officer has a lot of discretion, and believe it or not.... they exercise it.

They know who the true violators are.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:45:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lem:
Huh. Much harder to rear-end a caddy with an airplane, I guess they do it differently in the north.

Hey Dipshit thanks for the fucked up comment. The accident down there is a true tradgedy. Bad all the way around. I "AM" a trooper, and the whole story will come out in the future. No court can punish that trooper more than he is punishing him self. I pray for all those involved, and their families.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:59:00 AM EDT

That was out of line, Lem....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:08:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Rick-James:
Those guys that fly that shitbox are a riot. They show up at the air races and park thier 182RG next to F15's and F16's. To top it all off they wear nomex flight suits.

LOL I fly in that "shitbox" and have done so since 2002. Im glad you think we are a riot. We wear flightsuits because its policy.

Each aircraft runs several speed enforcement missions a month. Weather dictates how many we fly. We also fly prisoners around, search for varios lost things ect.

We direct gound units to stop speeders when they ("the speeder") exceed 10 mph over the limit. Thankfully not that many get stopped at 10 over because others go way faster than that. Also just a note for any future customers: We have never lost in court since the inception of our air program. Keep contesting those tickets I need the overtime to pay for my AR-15 habit!

We fly missions all the time on I 80, US 95, and US 50. If you see the patrolled by aircraft signs, and the painted picture of an airplane thats where we fly. I work the ground quite a bit as well too.

Here are a few pics I snapped on a mission:

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:14:00 AM EDT
Hey RU1096,

Do ya think you could borrow the "shitbox" and recon some hot bunny blastin' spots for us down here in Clark County?

BTW: Cool pics.....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:20:16 AM EDT
Ishoot - not from where I stand. You are welcome to your opinion though.

What IS out of line, would be the NHP holding the corner of the rug up, and Metro sweping like mad.

24 hours after that collision, NHP spokespeople were saying there was "no black box in the NHP car" Complete and utter bullshit. Any third rate mechanic can tell you that both OBDII & the airbag computer on that vehicle stored the crash data, ans several seconds of driving data before the impact. The data can usually be recovered on-scene. Why do I see an NHP officer at accident scenes with his laptop plugged into the connector of the involved car?

Get yourself involved in a traffic fatality, and see how long you can tell the investigating officers to go bump their nuts. Think you will get equal treatment?

Now, that is what I see as "out of line".

Lem
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:20:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ishoot2live:
Hey RU1096,

Do ya think you could borrow the "shitbox" and recon some hot bunny blastin' spots for us down here in Clark County?

BTW: Cool pics.....

I'm just the JAFO (Just Another Fucking Observer), but I don't think your fellow tax payers would like to foot the fuel bill for such a unique mission. Nor would our pilot fly it!

Now on the other hand If I happen to fly over a spot that would suit your needs, I will be glad to share such information with you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:40:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 10:42:06 AM EDT by RU1096]

Ishoot - not from where I stand. You are welcome to your opinion though.

What IS out of line, would be the NHP holding the corner of the rug up, and Metro sweping like mad.

24 hours after that collision, NHP spokespeople were saying there was "no black box in the NHP car" Complete and utter bullshit. Any third rate mechanic can tell you that both OBDII & the airbag computer on that vehicle stored the crash data, ans several seconds of driving data before the impact. The data can usually be recovered on-scene. Why do I see an NHP officer at accident scenes with his laptop plugged into the connector of the involved car?

Get yourself involved in a traffic fatality, and see how long you can tell the investigating officers to go bump their nuts. Think you will get equal treatment?

Now, that is what I see as "out of line".

Lem

Ok dummy gloves comming off!
Newsflash: You dropped your tinfoil hat en route to your black helecopter sighting. Then again exercise your 1st amendment rights with your foot in your mouth.

1. Nothing is going to be swept under the rug!!!!
2. Quite a few troops know nothing about black boxes due to a change in policy in fatal accident investigation. So our spokes person is uninformed. Happens quite a bit.
3. Really you have seen our troops getting the black box info at the scene. Wrong!
4. I have investigated over 50 fatal traffic accident in the past 11 years. How many have you?
If I am investigating a fatal accident and you don't wish to speak to me without your attorney present, and you tell me to bump my nuts so be it. No attorney no interview. Man are you that ignorant of the system?
5. Special treatment, not likely for anyone involved in an accident of this magnatude.

If the trooper is 100% at fault he will wear the heat 100% Again he will punish himself for this worse that any court can.

Go find your tinfoil hat dude, the agents from the goverment are comming to read your mind!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:59:33 AM EDT
Another fine member of the NHP is heard from. Good thing not all of them have your attitude.

Insults, name calling... no wonder they keep you in the air, and away from the public.

I stated it WOULD be wrong to sweep things under the rug - Glad to see you say it won't be.

Your "talking head" should know MORE about things, to avoid making mis-statements to the press. The argument over the contents of the black box from a downtown parking garage crash made the newspapers - perhaps your PIO should pick up the paper occasionally.

I ASKED a question about the trooper with the laptop & cable - If you don't have anyone doing this I stand corrected.

Oh sure, you would wait for my lawyer. With me in the lockup.

Since you tried so hard to insult me, I guess you have issues of your own. I have never worn a tinfoil hat, so say whatever makes you feel good pal.

Heck, go fly a "mission" in your tactical A/C if it makes your blood pressure drop.

Lem
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:54:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 12:55:51 PM EDT by ishoot2live]
It never ceases to amaze me how some people will deliberately start shit with our LE members. It's not like LEO's don't have enough shit to deal with, and I am sure they don't appreciate being fucked with and chastised in their own HTF.

Yes, it was tragic what happened with the NHP Trooper and Mexican family from Utah. On the other hand I believe that Metro will do a fair and thorough investigation. Some may not like the outcome, but unless you were there the attitude and Monday morning QB'ing is nothing more than poser bullshit.....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:13:18 PM EDT
Apology IM sent on the "shitbox" comment.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:05:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:55:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 3:03:26 PM EDT by 444]
Thank Goodness.
Those guys are really doing society a favor.

IMO, the state highway patrol is a law enforcement agency that has no purpose other than to fine people so they can continue to exist. They have no legitimate purpose.
Think about this: here we have a government agency that has airplanes, pilot and crew. They pay to maintain this aircraft and keep it in the air. Then they have cars on the ground that they pay to maintain, with officers that they pay. The cars are filled with electronic equipment.
Why ?
So they can fine someone for going faster than a speed limit that they just made up.
IMO, this is a total waste of time, effort, and most importantly money.

Speed doesn't kill, it is simply a way to gain revenue so they can keep their jobs which is to generate revenue.

I used to love those billboards they had up: "I never unbuckled a dead person".
No shit, that is what the firefighters, EMS, or even the coroner do. You just give someone a ticket.

Another one of my faviorite NHP antics (I saw this this morning on the way home from work). They have some pulled over for going over the speed limit while a mile up ahead there is someone broken down wishing someone would help them.
They are worthless leeches.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:02:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Wolfpack:
RU1096, can you guys patrol hiways that are not marked with the air patrol signs on the ground?

Good question. I'd like to know as well.

Also, how does the airplane radar work? I thought that was radar, the more of an angle you have and less straight on, the more the reading will favor the person being radared... Seems like there'd be quite a bit of angle...

Also, how high do you guys fly, usually?

My dad is in the FBI and flies a Cessna 210 on the surveillance squad. I wonder if he'd be interested in trying to fly for NHP after he is forced to retire in 1 1/2 years, or if NHP would even consider hiring him because of his age at that point (58).

Can you say what pilots are paid?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:06:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ColSanders:

RU1096, can you guys patrol hiways that are not marked with the air patrol signs on the ground?

Also, how does the airplane radar work? I thought that was radar, the more of an angle you have and less straight on, the more the reading will favor the person being radared... Seems like there'd be quite a bit of angle...

My dad is in the FBI and flies a Cessna 210 on the surveillance squad. I wonder if he'd be interested in trying to fly for NHP after he is forced to retire in 1 1/2 years, or if NHP would even consider hiring him because of his age at that point (58).

I think they time vehicles between marked points on the ground.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:22:39 PM EDT
Yes its my understanding its time and distance with marks or known ponts on the road
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:38:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pedro66:
Yes its my understanding its time and distance with marks or known ponts on the road

OK, that's cool, but don't you think when you add in the human aspect in timing like that it may be more prone to error? I realize they most likely use a stopwatch or something but how can you garauntee that they are "clocking" just right? I don't know, but it seems like radar would be more of an exact science (as long as they are clocking one car all by itself and not one out of a pack of 4 or something).
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:43:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 5:44:06 PM EDT by pedro66]
I come from England they use this all the time along with static speed cameras and number recognition systems linked to Freeway cams that automatically send you a ticket without human involvement, guess thats one reason I moved here.

Here is a link to the system they use in the UK being advertised here

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:12:46 PM EDT
Since there is a human delay starting the watch and the same human delay ending the time, they are pretty close.

BTW, 1 mph over the speed limit is a violation. So, if the process has an error or 2 mph, it really won't matter since they are looking for the 15-20+ mph violators.

VASCAR is one company that makes the units.

As for the investigation, the days of sweeping anything under the rug are long gone!! Not since Lamb have we had things disappear.

As for the black box argument, that is two fold. Yes, there are black box recorders which are in addition to the factory airbag deployment memory module. There was a module in the car. That has been downloaded.

Just give it time.......the Fatal detail is very meticulous in what they do. They would rather take their time to make sure it is right, then to come in with some guesses. Photographs (aerial and ground) aren't available right away. Those alone take a few days to get. A warrant may have been required to for the memory from the module.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:55:20 PM EDT
If this were anyone from the general public, they would be sitting in jail until they are done with there investigation and not waiting for a attorney to finish his vacation. No lights, No siren, No excuses... The color of there skin is not a issue.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:58:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RU1096:

LOL I fly in that "shitbox" ...

Arfcom strikes again.

So can you give us advance notice of fly days?

I commute that stretch every day. Do you know anything about that chase that came in from California several weeks ago? I drove past the CHP with 4 NHP in the median a few minutes later so I presume they lost him.

Nice pic of Virginia City btw.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:12:16 PM EDT
no wonder they keep you in the air, and away from the public.

Thanks for the laugh. I see no matter what I say you will not be happy with it. For the record I have never recieved a complaint filed against me. I have been o the job over 11 years. My record speaks for its self. You and you attitude struck a chord. I will refrain from commenting to your banter from here on out.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:15:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 444:
Thank Goodness.

IMO, the state highway patrol is a law enforcement agency that has no purpose other than to fine people so they can continue to exist. They have no legitimate purpose.
Think about this: here we have a government agency that has airplanes, pilot and crew. They pay to maintain this aircraft and keep it in the air. Then they have cars on the ground that they pay to maintain, with officers that they pay. The cars are filled with electronic equipment.
Why ?
So they can fine someone for going faster than a speed limit that they just made up.

Speed doesn't kill, it is simply a way to gain revenue so they can keep their jobs which is to generate revenue.

No shit, that is what the firefighters, EMS, or even the coroner do. You just give someone a ticket.

Another one of my faviorite NHP antics (I saw this this morning on the way home from work). They have some pulled over for going over the speed limit while a mile up ahead there is someone broken down wishing someone would help them.

You forgot to mention that I'm lazy

You did get the part right.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:18:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ColSanders:

Its a time distance measuring device, not radar.

We are up around 6000' UGL.

No age issues as far as I know. The pay is the same as a DPS Sgt.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:19:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rick-James:
Apology IM sent on the "shitbox" comment.

No worries. I put an "LOL" maybe I should of put a
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:21:45 PM EDT

Thank Goodness.

Why ?

Speed kills pal. Reckless drivers are more dangerous behind the wheel than idiots with firearms.

By the way, I drive a strech of 95 from Vegas to Indians Springs everyday and I see NHP assisting stranded motorists more often than "collecting revenue".
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:22:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tri-tone:
If this were anyone from the general public, they would be sitting in jail until they are done with there investigation and not waiting for a attorney to finish his vacation. No lights, No siren, No excuses... The color of there skin is not a issue.

Lets review this case and chat about it in a few months.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:26:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Arlis:
So can you give us advance notice of fly days?

I commute that stretch every day. Do you know anything about that chase that came in from California several weeks ago? I drove past the CHP with 4 NHP in the median a few minutes later so I presume they lost him.

Nice pic of Virginia City btw.

Maybe an advance warning can be given, but if I forget a CB on channel 19 will work better.

I work up north so I have no clue of the chase your talkin about.

VC is one of my two most favorite places in NV, Austin is the other.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:28:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:32:23 PM EDT

RU1096, can you guys patrol highways where there are no signs to warn motorists about air ops?

To do speed enforcement we need the painted marks. But if we see crazy shit in a non-marked area we can take care of it.

The truck drivers know our schedule better then I do.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:36:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:36:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 7:39:30 PM EDT by ishoot2live]

Originally Posted By ANIMUS:

Thank Goodness.

Speed kills pal. Reckless drivers are more dangerous behind the wheel than idiots with firearms.

By the way, I drive a strech of 95 from Vegas to Indians Springs everyday and I see NHP assisting stranded motorists more often than "collecting revenue".

+1 Animus.

Hey 444,

Ill bet your attitude would change pretty quickly if one of those "illegitimate" Troopers saved your life by pulling you from a burning vehicle on a rural highway.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:12:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tri-tone:

Buhhhhhhhhhh.......WRONG ANSWER!!!!

If it were a regular citizen and the case was not DUI, they may have been cited at the scene and released. Cases that are this in depth will be investigated and submitted to the DA or city attorney as a cite is rarely issued.

In case you were unaware, the govt. must have probable cause to arrest you and be able to articulate such cause to a judge immediately. There is NO arresting anyone in NV for a suspicion charge. You can not be help for a suspicion of committing an offense.

The required hearing time per SCOTUS is 48 hours. The judge may allow a couple more days for complex cases where blood tests, scene processing, or DNA tests are required. But the DA has had suspects released because the tests were not back in a timely manner. These only apply in cases where the tests are a critical point in the criminal complaint.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:55:31 AM EDT

Thank Goodness.

Why ?

The NHP does alot more than traffic enforcement.They provide security for the Governor, assist with quelling disturbances and apprehending escapees from state prisons, they run the state's criminal history repository, and backup up other LE agencies when they need help, especially in the rural areas of Nevada.
Also if they were not there, how safe would the highways of Nevada be?People would be driving like bigger idiots than they already do.Not to mention all the drunks NHP gets off the highway who might kill a member of your family or mine.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:20:46 AM EDT
I for one am glad that the NHP is out there putting some control on the typical idiot with a driver's license.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:23:30 PM EDT
That seems like a really cool job.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:42:31 PM EDT
Do you have to be NHP to fly the Cessna? If you guys ever need a back up pilot let me know, i'd fly for you guys anytime.

Oh and to the genius trying to trying to crack jokes about wearing a flight suit in a Cessna - let me ask you this - How many times have you been in a plane, especially a Cessna, when it has caught on fire? How many? I've had two fires while flying. One in a T-38 while we were taxing, and one in a Cessna. In the 38, we had to get out quick, but the flight suit bought my IP a few seconds. The Cessna had a bad gas leak catch on fire when I was flying sky divers. If it wasn't for my nomex flight suit, my legs would be toasted. You don't wear a flight suit to look cool. You wear it to save your ass.

My hats off to all the NHP guys out there - I just hope you don't nail me if I'm pushing the speed limit a bit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:26:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/28/2006 6:28:34 PM EDT by Rick-James]

Originally Posted By Scot45:

Oh and to the genius trying to trying to crack jokes about wearing a flight suit in a Cessna - let me ask you this - How many times have you been in a plane, especially a Cessna, when it has caught on fire? How many? I've had two fires while flying. One in a T-38 while we were taxing, and one in a Cessna. In the 38, we had to get out quick, but the flight suit bought my IP a few seconds. The Cessna had a bad gas leak catch on fire when I was flying sky divers. If it wasn't for my nomex flight suit, my legs would be toasted. You don't wear a flight suit to look cool. You wear it to save your ass.

Well, in my 4500 hours I've never had a fire. I'm currently a captain for an airline, so you could say I have a little experience, but not with fires thankfully. I sent an apology for the other remark, so maybe you could let the other gentleman defend himself. And one thing is for sure, I'm not a genius, look at my carreer choice.
P.S. I'm glad you made it out of your two fires safely.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:41:58 PM EDT

So if a driver challenged the ticket in court saying he wasn't aware of air ops because there was no signage he would lose? Just wondering.

They need the marks on the ground in order to clock the speed of a vehicle between two points from the air.

I don't think a person needs to be "aware" of any type of speed monitoring. The law is the law and if a speeder breaks it and the officer can prove it, the speeder loses.

Usually if you have a good driving record you can make a deal with the judge to complete traffic safety school. After successful completion of school the judge will usually dismiss the citation and block any points that might have been levied against the driver's license.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:46:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/28/2006 6:54:44 PM EDT by 444]
"You forgot to mention that I'm lazy"
I doubt that you are lazy. I know the NHP in Southern Nevada isn't lazy. They are busy handing out tickets as fast as they can.

"Speed kills pal. Reckless drivers are more dangerous behind the wheel than idiots with firearms."

Really ? So, speed defines recklessness ? If I am in Germany driving a 500 series BMW at 100 MPH I am a safe driver because it is legal. If I do the same thing between Las Vegas and Indian Springs on US 95, I am reckless ? So if someone is going 75 they are safer than someone going 85 ? Why ?
Let's say you lose control for some reason, leave the road and flip through the desert. If you were going the speed limit, I am sure you would be OK. But, if you were going faster than that number, you are a dead man ? Let's say you crest a hill doing 60 and there is a cow right in front of you. You should be fine, but if you were going 80 you would be dead, right ? BS

"Ill bet your attitude would change pretty quickly if one of those "illegitimate" Troopers saved your life by pulling you from a burning vehicle on a rural highway."
And this might happen when ? What about if they saved me from a zombie ?

"Also if they were not there, how safe would the highways of Nevada be?People would be driving like bigger idiots than they already do."
It wasn't that long ago that there was no speed limit in Nevada. Seemed to work OK. I am all in favor of going back to it. Let the NHP find employment else where: "Do you want fries with that ?"

Sorry, you know what they say about opinions. And yes, I have one. I didn't drink the koolaid. Just because someone tells me they are serving the public doesn't mean I believe it.
I am sure that over the years NHP officers have saved many people's lives. So have average citizens that just happened to be in the right place at the right time.
I know this has become a totally forign concept, but I honestly believe that as a taxpayer, I have the right to comment on where my tax money is being spent. And, I don't believe that funding a many multimillion dollar agency that gives out speeding tickets is a good use of my tax money.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:54:14 PM EDT
Why don't you ever use the quote tool to quote those you are responding to? I often find it difficult to fully understand your responses....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top