Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 9:04:49 AM EDT
I'm seeing conflicting reports online.

What is Minnesota's NFA rules, mainly SBR and suppressors. I'm seeing SBR's as allowed and as C&R only. And for suppressors im seeing yes and no.

I am stationed in ND, but regularly visit family in Wisconsin. Naturally, i go through MN. Now, i know if i pass through im legal. But i have a friend that jsut moved to Rochester. And i'm looking into the legality of stopping by his place with toys in tow. I know the 5320.20 and that info, but what i haven't been able to find out is some concrete reference to MN NFA laws.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:12:17 AM EDT
[#1]
SBRs and AOWs allowed with a form 1 tax stamp.
Suppressors and MGs not allowed.  Period.
C&R weapons are permitted.

I don't have a link to the laws, but that's pretty much it in a nutshell.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
SBRs and AOWs allowed with a form 1 tax stamp.
Suppressors and MGs not allowed.  Period.
C&R weapons are permitted.

I don't have a link to the laws, but that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

SBR is on a form 1.

So i guess i could visit my buddy with the SBR, but not the cans.

Oh well...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

So i guess i could visit my buddy with the SBR, but not the cans.

Get a picture of those cans and post them!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Can you take SBRs across state lines?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe that there is a form that you have to fill out to take any NFA weapon across state lines.  If I remember correctly it is good for a certain amount of time and then you have to re-submit.  I am not sure about actually transporting the NFA weapons through states that ban them.  I'd check with one of the local C3 dealers, they might know the current rules, at least you'd hope they know them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#6]
They only MG's are C&R MG's that are ok In Minnesota, unless you are a S.O.T.
SBR's and AOW's are ok in MInnesota

To transport you have to file an application with the BATFE stating the reason of transportation and length of visit, you put down the dates that you are going to be in-transit/visiting and then they will approve it.
Make sure you always have your approved application with you
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They only MG's are C&R MG's that are ok In Minnesota, unless you are a S.O.T.
SBR's and AOW's are ok in MInnesota

To transport you have to file an application with the BATFE stating the reason of transportation and length of visit, you put down the dates that you are going to be in-transit/visiting and then they will approve it.
Make sure you always have your approved application with you

Well my 5320.20 was sent in for Wisconsin. I'm debating sending one in for MN.

So far the official ARFCOM count for SBR's in MN is 1 yea and 1 Nay. Can anyone give me a statute to reference?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:

So far the official ARFCOM count for SBR's in MN is 1 yea and 1 Nay. Can anyone give me a statute to reference?

I see all yeas in here.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I see all yeas in here.

my bad. i mixed up suppressor and SBR.

So SBR's are definitly good to go then. What about suppressors? I've found both online.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Supressor are only a go for LE in MN.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:04:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Supressor are only a go for LE in MN.

crappity crap crap. And my buddy had to move from Eau Claire to Rochester. Go figure.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#12]
i know this is going to stir the pot and possibly screw people up, BUT people in MN CAN own non-C&R MGs, but they have to have an Ammunition Manufacturer's license, i guess it's a type of FFL, only for making ammo.  when i had the ATF send me the app, it was the standard FFL license app, but you checked a different box.  you still need to get fingerprinted and follow zoning regs and it's not too spendy.

possessors of said ammo makers license are eligible to own non-C&R MGs in Minnesota.  Bob Bowman has helped a couple dozen people go this route in the past.

it is more of a hassle than owning C&R MGs, but if someone really wants to own non-C&R mgs in MN, this is a way to do it.

Craig
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

it is more of a hassle than owning C&R MGs, but if someone really wants to own non-C&R mgs in MN, this is a way to do it.

Craig

Can such a license holder own post-'86 MGs?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Craig

Can such a license holder own post-'86 MGs?

If you are a S.O.T. and have a letter from the CLEO in your area, then you are good to go
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:44:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I see all yeas in here.

my bad. i mixed up suppressor and SBR.

So SBR's are definitly good to go then. What about suppressors? I've found both online.

Yep SBR's are ok
No Suppressors here unless of course you are a S.O.T. or LEO  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:23:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Here's the link you requested...

www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin/getpub.php?pubtype=STAT_CHAP_SEC&year=current§ion=609.67

Thanks!

For suppressors, see 609.66.

"Subd. 1a.    Felony crimes; silencers prohibited; reckless
discharge.  (a) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision
1h, whoever does any of the following is guilty of a felony and
may be sentenced as provided in paragraph (b):

(1) sells or has in possession any device designed to
silence or muffle the discharge of a firearm;  "
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I know what a SBR is but what is a AOW?
and how does one get one
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
and how does one get one

Any
Other
Weapon

Pen guns
Short barreled shotguns mfg as AOW's
the list goes on
It has a $5.00 Federal Tax
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Anything that matches the federal definition of a firearm, but does not match the definition of a rifle or a handgun.

and how does one get one

The same way you would an SBR.  Either a form 1 and build it yourself or a form 4 and buy it.  The odd thing with AOWs is that for a regular person to make one on a F1 it's a $200 tax, but it's only $5.00 to transfer on a F4.  Therefore, people don't generally make one, they buy one already made from an SOT (who pays no such tax) and transfers it for $5.00.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#21]
To further complicate things, what the feds may consider an AOW under fed law could be considered a short-barreled shotgun under MN state law. Read the statutes carefully before proceeding!

To quote MN SS 609.67

(c) "Short-barreled shotgun" means a shotgun having one or
more barrels less than 18 inches in length and any weapon made
from a shotgun
if such weapon as modified has an overall length
less than 26 inches.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#22]
any weapon made from a shotgun that needs to be listed on the NFA registry is an SBS according to the feds also.  in order to be an AOW it has to be made from a previously unassembled/stripped receiver.  it is kinda like how you are able to build an AR pistol from a stripped AR lower  that has never been made into a rifle.

example:  remington 870s that come from the factory with a short barrel and a PG  are sold as AOW.  if you were to file a form 1to make the exact configuration from say a wingmaster you used to hunt with it would be an SBS.  the diff is that remington made them from receivers that never had buttstocks on them, and yours did.  stupid, i know.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

example:  remington 870s that come from the factory with a short barrel and a PG  are sold as AOW.  if you were to file a form 1to make the exact configuration from say a wingmaster you used to hunt with it would be an SBS.  the diff is that remington made them from receivers that never had buttstocks on them, and yours did.  stupid, i know.  

Which also means it would transfer as an AOW for $5 instead of an SBS for $200.   Don't get a stock anywhere near it though, it would then be an unregistered SBS and you'd win a free trip to Club Fed.

Ain't these gun laws just dandy?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top