Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2003 5:54:24 PM EDT
BRADY CAMPAIGN RELEASES 6TH ANNUAL REPORT CARD
North Carolina Receives Grade of C on Laws Protecting Kids From Guns

(Washington, D.C.) In its sixth annual analysis of state laws protecting children from gun violence, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence united with the Million Mom March, highlighted its progress in protecting children from gun violence. The analysis noted an encouraging decrease in the number of children killed by guns.

Eleven states won "Sensible Safety Stars" for protecting children from gun violence. "Sensible Safety Star" states heeded the concern of their residents by resisting efforts to weaken common sense laws and by enacting pro-child gun legislation. Unfortunately, once again 29 states received grades of D or F in this year's report card. Not surprisingly, many of these states have child and teen firearm death rates that are higher than the national average. For example, the average firearms death rate of youth in the eight states that received an F grade was 33% higher than the average firearms death rate for the 10 states that received an A or a B.

North Carolina again received a C and was given a demerit for bad conduct because the state passed a law granting broad legal immunity to the gun industry. North Carolina does not require child-safety locks to be sold with handguns, does not set any safety standards for handguns, forces police to let people carry hidden handguns in public, and has failed to restrict assault weapons and Saturday night specials. On a positive note, North Carolina holds adults responsible for leaving loaded guns around children, regulates possession and sale of guns by kids, and requires background checks on handguns sold at gun shows. In 2000, the most recent year for which data is available, 95 children and teenagers in North Carolina died from gunfire. North Carolina's weak laws also create devastating consequences outside its borders. According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (BATF), North Carolina is a significant supplier of crime guns to other regions in the nation. i

North Carolina can improve its grade next year by requiring handguns to be sold with child-safety locks to prevent accidental shootings and by establishing basic safety standards for handguns such as restrictions on Saturday night specials. The state should also require all gun buyers to go through criminal background checks, especially buyers at gun shows. By closing this loophole in its laws, North Carolina will prevent criminals, fugitives from the law, and kids from buying guns.

"Polls consistently show that most Americans approve of stronger gun laws to protect our children. Unfortunately, the deep pockets of the gun lobby have paralyzed efforts to enact new legislation at the federal level. Congress and the Bush Administration have turned a deaf ear on the nation's desire for common sense gun laws" said Sarah Brady, Chair of the Brady Campaign. "It has fallen to Governors and state legislatures to take up the mantle of child safety and pass laws to protect our kids from gun violence. Several states have stepped up to meet this challenge. Working with the Million Mom March and grassroots activists in all 50 states, we will continue fighting until not one child is lost to gun violence."

CRC
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
A grade "C" for not bending to the whime of anti-gun idiots.I'll take it.

Gun companies should not be held responsible for what some crook or whoever,did with the gun.Do you hold GM or Ford responsible for someone driving their car into a crowd of people?Would you hold Louisville slugger"baseball bat" responsible for the damage it did to someone,for what ever reason?Knife maker?Beer maker for getting the person drunk and driving and hurting someone?That list can and does go on.

ENFORCE the laws that are there.Do the crime,do the time.It seems the crook is always the victim.

Safty locks are ok but a safe is better,for a gun you are not using for self defense.Then you need to use the safty between your ears.

As for conceal carry it is my right to protect myself and the ones I love.However you can not cc without the ccw permit.You can carry openly legally.The "law" does have a way around that.

All the background checks will not stop a crook.A crook will not bother with it.

"Assault weapon",hunting rifle,they both shoot.Ban it because it looks evil?10 rounds,30rds,what difference does that make.I just have to reload sooner.
Wake up you nut case.
A few years ago a similar report came out.Chidren,were from the age of 21 and under.Most were in the upper age group."Crooks"

The loss of any child is tragic for what ever reason.
Improve our grade?You need to look closer at where this"grade" came from.Brady and the Million(?)Mom March.
They want yours and my guns.PERIOD,and will bend the facts and tug at your heart strings  to get what they want.
You fell for it.
Take your blinders off.
GLOCK23

If I have taken your post out of context,sorry.

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, by all means, North Carolina needs to improve its grade to an "F" as soon as possible.

Link Posted: 7/6/2003 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yes, by all means, North Carolina needs to improve its grade to an "F" as soon as possible.

You mean F+ with Idaho. That's what I mean.

CRC
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#4]
i'd agree.  this is one test i'd like to flunk - we have to get an F to be free.  amazing.  what about the 95 children and teenagers?  with accidental firearms deaths at low levels, most of their statistics include 17-18 yr olds in gang related and drug related crimes.  large difference between my 13 year old son and one in the inner city areas.  looks like we all need to do some studying on candidates  before next election cycle.  maybe, just maybe we can "improve" this grade.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top