Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 12:57:14 PM EDT
Under NC law a  Federally or state " licensed collector" can possess a SBR, SBS or silencer. They are classified as "Weapons of Mass Death and Destruction" along with bombs.

AOWs, any other weapons, are not classified in NC but still NFA firearms under Fed law.

So I call up  Roy Cooper's office about unregulating NFA firearms and state law.

You can own certain NFA firearms as licensed by BATFE under the NFA under NC state law.

But, say if short barreled rifles were removed from the NFA, you technically couldn't own them under the collector exemption as state law requires you to be registered/licensed at the Federal level.

So state law would have to be changed if the NFA were ever changed.

Machine guns require a state permit from your sheriff. They are different. That law is from 1933.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#1]
So how does one get licensed as a collector?  Because I would love to have an SBR or two or three or...

But yeah, I don't know much about the NFA issue here in NC.  I know my county sherriff won't sign for class 3 either.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:51:16 AM EDT
[#2]
All you need from your local sheriff is his signature on the ATF form saying that he doesn't know of any reason why you shouldn't own one of these devises. I've never heard of needing to have a state permit for anything like that and I have 2 class 3 items.

wheelow
If you want a SBR, find your local class 3 dealer, tell him what you want to do. He should be able to help you with the paper work. You still have to pay the $200.00 tax stamp though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#3]
CRC is correct about the Collector thing.  Most sheriffs dont know or care about that law as its stupid.  I have a C&R FFL so as far as I read that law I am covered with the collector clause.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess collector means anyone licensed under the NFA by the BATFE.

This does not include machineguns under state law.

This is all in the General Statutes Chapter 14.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#5]
My paper work says "for scientific reaserch". Phil Phlack filled it out for me, I figure he knows best. The guy I got the machinegun from, his paper work said "for private collection". Hey, what ever works I guess.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
All you need from your local sheriff is his signature on the ATF form saying that he doesn't know of any reason why you shouldn't own one of these devises. I've never heard of needing to have a state permit for anything like that and I have 2 class 3 items.

wheelow
If you want a SBR, find your local class 3 dealer, tell him what you want to do. He should be able to help you with the paper work. You still have to pay the $200.00 tax stamp though.

So it'd basically be so much easier to get an SBR than a class 3 weapon?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#7]
A SBR is class 3 registered. It would be the same process.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#8]
ah, ok.  Well then I'm probably SOL.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Basicly you need to talk to your sheriff first, If you want a machine gun you need to get a permit from the sheriff for one before you pay for the gun.  Once you have the machine gun permit you know that he will sign the form 4.  If you are getting something else just talk to him and be up front about everything.  Here is what I did

I had a copy of my CCW permit (both renewal and expired)
Copy of the receipt of my safe
Spec's to my safe
Persoal resume (where I have lived for the last 10+ years, parents names, community service fire/ rescue etc...)
Pistol permit dated the day I talked to him (this was before ccw to buy pistol)

When he asked why I need my sound suppressor I told him I didn't need one but that I wanted one since I do some much shooting and didnt like wearing ear muffs.  I also told him that if he didn't sign that it was ok, not the end of the world and I would still vote for him as sheriff.  I acted like it was no big deal (which it really wasn't if he didn't sign, I just wouldn't get it).

Hope this helps
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top