Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/3/2006 9:51:46 AM EDT
I am thinking the law on banning the concealed carry of non firearms needs to be repealed.

What say you? Is it a waste of time to contact my legislators about this?

I'd just like to throw my hunting knife in my hunting pouch and not worry about being in possession of a 'concealed weapon' while wearing my pouch hunting.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:17:20 PM EDT
It is the suck, I have a chl, but cant carry a knife
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:07:39 PM EDT
I bet most cops either don't know the law or would not interpret it to include your hunting knife in your pack. Perhaps I am either giving them too much or too little credit

I carry whatever I feel like and try not to attract enough attention for it to matter
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:14:53 PM EDT
based on the amount of knives I see clipped in pockets here on campus (UNCC) and just in the Charlotte area in general, I wonder if this gets enforced, or is just one of those things that gets tacked on to charges when you get caught holding up a liquor store or something...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:11:23 PM EDT
Whats the deal with pepper spray? Is it legal to carry? I bought a small can of it for my girlfriend, I hope I didn't make her a felon!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:01:05 PM EDT
As a general rule, if you tell an officer that yu have something like a knife on your person before he pats you down and finds it, you arent going to get in trouble.

Personaly, I dont like the idea of repealing the CC charges.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:20:30 PM EDT
I would like to see a way for civilians to carry tasers concealed legally. As far as knives I have never researched it but when I took the CCH Instructor class in 1999 I was told that if the pocket clip of a knife is showing then that counts as open carry. Like I say I havne't researched that and am not recommending it as the "correct" answer. Heck, I would be more worried about defending my use of a "fighting pocket knife" in court then defending a handgun. I dont' have case history to back that fear up but I wonder if a jury would be less forgiving to someone trained to knife fight then to shoot defensively...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:23:08 PM EDT
By the way unless we go the route of all non criminals can carry concealed I don't have a problem with having a CCH permit and having some sort of permit for non lethal weapons such as tasers. I don't know if it should be a different permit or just an expansion of our existing law. I think an expansion would be better and cheaper then two seperate permits.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:41:40 PM EDT
The only thing you can carry concealed is a handgun.

I think Swiss Army knives may be exempted too. I have to go back and reread the law.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:02:41 PM EDT
Pocket knives are exempt. The general guideline is that the knife be ulitarian in nature and the blade be shorter than an ID card in length (per our police attornies here)
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:21:29 PM EDT
NCGS 14-269 specifically speaks on knives and as long as it can't be opened in an explsoive, spring loaded or other similar manner, it should be good to go. The spirit of the law speaks to spring assisted "switchblades" and the like.

14-269 covers concealed weapons. there is a separate paragraph, 14-269(A1) which allows me to charge a person with Carrying a Concealed Gun.

I can't speak for others, but I don't mess with anyone carrying a legitimate pocketknife, unless they're threatening me with it.

Box cutters and straight razors I take on a case-by-case basis and I consider all of the other circumstances as well. A carpet installer on his way home from work is more likely to have a legitimate reason to have a razor knife/box cutter in his pocket when stopped than is one of our local well-known prostitutes who has a razor taped under her bra strap.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:46:49 AM EDT
So it's just pocketknives? Not fixed blades or multi tools?

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:55:46 AM EDT
§ 14‑269. Carrying concealed weapons.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slung shot, loaded cane, metallic knuckles, razor, shurikin, stun gun, or other deadly weapon of like kind, except when the person is on the person's own premises.

(a1) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any pistol or gun except in the following circumstances:

(1) The person is on the person's own premises.

(2) The deadly weapon is a handgun, and the person has a concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter or considered valid under G.S. 14‑415.24.

(b) This prohibition shall not apply to the following persons:

(1) Officers and enlisted personnel of the armed forces of the United States when in discharge of their official duties as such and acting under orders requiring them to carry arms and weapons;

(2) Civil and law enforcement officers of the United States while in the discharge of their official duties;

(3) Officers and soldiers of the militia and the national guard when called into actual service;

(4) Officers of the State, or of any county, city, or town, charged with the execution of the laws of the State, when acting in the discharge of their official duties;

(5) Sworn law‑enforcement officers, when off‑duty, if:

a. Written regulations authorizing the carrying of concealed weapons have been filed with the clerk of superior court in the county where the law‑enforcement unit is located by the sheriff or chief of police or other superior officer in charge; and

b. Such regulations specifically prohibit the carrying of concealed weapons while the officer is consuming or under the influence of alcoholic beverages.

(b1) It is a defense to a prosecution under this section that:

(1) The weapon was not a firearm;

(2) The defendant was engaged in, or on the way to or from, an activity in which he legitimately used the weapon;

(3) The defendant possessed the weapon for that legitimate use; and

(4) The defendant did not use or attempt to use the weapon for an illegal purpose.

The burden of proving this defense is on the defendant.

(c) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. Any person violating the provisions of subsection (a1) of this section shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor for the first offense. A second or subsequent offense is punishable as a Class I felony.

(d) This section does not apply to an ordinary pocket knife carried in a closed position. As used in this section, "ordinary pocket knife" means a small knife, designed for carrying in a pocket or purse, that has its cutting edge and point entirely enclosed by its handle, and that may not be opened by a throwing, explosive, or spring action. (Code, s. 1005; Rev., s. 3708; 1917, c. 76; 1919, c. 197, s. 8; C.S., s. 4410; 1923, c. 57; Ex. Sess. 1924, c. 30; 1929, cc. 51, 224; 1947, c. 459; 1949, c. 1217; 1959, c. 1073, s. 1; 1965, c. 954, s. 1; 1969, c. 1224, s. 7; 1977, c. 616; 1981, c. 412, s. 4; c. 747, s. 66; 1983, c. 86; 1985, c. 432, ss. 1‑3; 1993, c. 539, s. 163; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 1995, c. 398, s. 2; 1997‑238, s. 1; 2003‑199, s. 2.)

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:15:35 AM EDT
I've never seen any arrested for something like a Leatherman. For a fixed balde, if you have it concelaed, then you could be charged with CCW-edged weapon
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:17:13 AM EDT
I like Five's outlook...

If you are in possession of a pocketknife and a bag of Meth = Scumbag

If you are in possession of a pocketknife and a bag of wire nuts = Electrician
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:31:51 PM EDT
so what about the "assisted opening" knives such as the little kershaws?

are they legal since they open with a spring?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:29:43 PM EDT
Legal
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:56:44 PM EDT
thanks NCPatrolAR. i went into the Mooresville courthouse today and had to "surrender" my kershaw to the security guard. he was nice to hold it for me - i forgot i had it. when i came back out, he was flicking it open and shutting it. had a tough time getting it back! he liked it.

i just wondered about it since it was assisted open.
Top Top