Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/9/2005 7:38:41 AM EDT
Folks,

Let's get organized. AO1 Maso of the base range is willing to deal w/ a shooting club. He's booked two months out, so let's get started.

I nominate myself as club secretary. Need someone familiar w/ non-profit organizations in Texas, etc, to step forward. We also need a webmaster.

If you have local friends on other forums, let them know.

Gig 'em,

PO2 backbencher USNR
(My opinions are my own, & not those of the US Navy)
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:46:27 AM EDT
I'd join, but don't have time to be an active member (e.g. officer of the club).
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:55:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:38:00 AM EDT
Mojo,

We just want you on the rolls. It's much more impressive when I show up & say we have a 25 member shooting club rather than a 3 member shooting club.

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:01:52 PM EDT
I'm in, and I can shoot on weekdays better than getting away while on husband/daddy duty on the weekends.

PM me if there's anything I can help out with.

tvone
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:59:23 PM EDT
I want in.

I would have to take off work if it's only open weekdays.

My brother just so happens to work in the command post.

(Shoot me a pm if I can help.)
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:38:30 PM EDT
Count me in!
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:35:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By backbencher:
Mojo,

We just want you on the rolls. It's much more impressive when I show up & say we have a 25 member shooting club rather than a 3 member shooting club.

Gig 'em,

backbencher

If you just want names on the rolls, why did you mention there would be dues in the other thread?

I'm not in the military, but I shoot at Carswell occasionally already. I could "join" your club or not, it depends on what you're going to do with this club. How 'bout a little more information on your intentions...
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:54:15 PM EDT
I'm in.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:42:22 PM EDT
I may be interested, but I think it's important to note that this should not be necessary to shoot at the range.

Also, I would recommend you come up with a new name for the club, it's too limiting. I choose another name (North Texas Shooting Club?) or something, for the possiblity of using other applicable ranges.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:23:01 PM EDT
Im in.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:09:19 AM EDT
what kind of range is it?
any details for the those that don't know about this place (like me)
I would join and try to help when I can
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:24:24 AM EDT
Yeah, can someone tell me more about the range please.

Do they have a long range rifle range? Thsi is what I am
most interested in.

I assume the law that allows us to use it does not stipulate what type firearms are allowed,
so they won't get bent when some of us show up with NFA toys.

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:03:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CB1:
what kind of range is it?
any details for the those that don't know about this place (like me)
I would join and try to help when I can

Additional information here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=216833
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:56:25 AM EDT
DaDave, et al:

I see y'all have been busy. The name - North Texas Shooting Club would be fine, but it's kinda broad. I was thinking of Panther City Gun Club - any seconds? (And I'm from Dallas, I know, boo, hiss :) Other suggestions?

Dues - was thinking of taking advertisements in the NAS/Senior News, as well as the FW Weekly & Startlegram. We need a web site 1st, & all that costs money. I don't envison a monthly magazine or a salary for the officers, so I'm thinking just $1000 a year - just joking, maybe $20-50? Even if you can't shoot, your money is going to a good cause - see below - and perhaps eventually we can work out more convenient hours.

Zulu Niner is correct, this should not be necessary to shoot @ the range, but I don't have the energy or the money to sue to force the Navy to conform its regulations to Federal law. Forming a gun club is not that hard (oh, I will rue those words), and it keeps us from making payments on a lawyer's BMW.

The range under discussion is a twin bay 25 meter range @ NAS JRB Fort Worth, formerly Carswell AFB. It can handle @ least up to 3000 fps SS109 & 12 ga 00 buck. martel, I don't know if it can handle full-auto. SBR should work, but let's make very sure we have our paperwork w/ us - some of the security folks @ the gate are 18 years old, & we're gonna want to try not to confuse them. One mistake on our part & our organization could be banned from the range, so let's not screw it up for everyone else.

Good causes - our causes - what your money would be going for:

Bureaucratic Hastle-Lite access to an otherwise free range, constructed w/ your tax money, on which you can shoot rifles, pistols & buckshot.

Promotion of shooting & marksmanship generally in your local community.

Another range on which Concealed Carry Holders can qualify on.

Improved relations btwn the local Navy base command & the shooting community.

Increased revenue for our local gun shops.

Increased opportunities for local Reservists to get otherwise non-available trigger time, thus decreasing casualties overseas.

Increased knowledge of firearms on the part of the Navy's GM's, which can only help them in their careers & in their duties.

Any 2nd's? Other suggestions? The floor is open. If folks will post in other forums, link to that thread in this forum, & link to this thread in your other forum post. We need to settle a name quickly so we can get a website up & going. When we get to that point, I will be asking for donations/initial dues, unless someone else wants to step forward & be webmaster - I would appreciate the help - hint, hint.

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:14:27 PM EDT
Cross-Posting beginning -

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=170965

A poll going on over there too. I've set a time limit of one week over there, so hopefully we can have a web site by the New Year.

Gig 'em,

PO2 backbencher USNR
Acting Secretary
NAS JRB Ft Worth Shooting Club
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:21:10 PM EDT
Native Fort Worthian of 45 years here.......Count me in .......SIR!

Also I am willing to take on any responsibilities to see this club begin that I may find within my capacities/capabilities and inside the boundaries that you may set forth to originate this fine organization so that we ALL may partake of this facility within the boundaries of what we call GOD'S city...............My hometown!

FORT WORTH...................................
Where the WEST begins!

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:53:05 AM EDT
I voted Panther City.
everything is "north Texas blah blah"
Something different is cool
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:21:21 AM EDT
Being new to TX I'm not sure where this range is. Is it on the NAS grounds?

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:45:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2005 7:28:59 AM EDT by Triple_D]
Petty Officer backbencher,

Be sure to run this pass the base CO. If for no other reason, then just as a matter of common courtesy. After all, he does have a right to know about everything that happens on his base. Be sure to have all of your ducks in a row, and work hard to get his support. If he gets behind you, everything else will be easier.

There is already a North Texas Shooters Association (I'm a member), so I think the name "Panther City Gun Club" would cause less confusion in the long run.

Good luck!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:41:17 AM EDT
I'd join I could not get any place closer to my work to shoot
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:36:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2005 11:18:23 AM EDT by backbencher]
VA, 3D, et al:

Yes, the range is on the grounds of NAS JRB Ft Worth. After this club forms, we will have to sign a Memorandum of Understanding w/ the base CO, absolving the Feds of responsibility for any lead poisoning that may occur.

If anyone else has any other suggestions for a name please post them, so we can quickly decide & get a website. May have recruited a lawyer today who dabbles in site design & could host it for consideration of his yearly dues.

Over on the High Road, "Squirrel Snipers of North Texas" has been suggested. If you wish to vote for this name, just drop a post & mention it. Also, "North Texas Gun Club."

(Edited to add - there's already someone using North Texas Gun Club - http://www.classicshows.com/ )
(Edited to add - 1 vote for Trinity River Gun Club from the folks @ Highroad)

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Acting Secretary
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:05:20 AM EDT
3D,

Wow, you guys pay $300 just to join! You guys must have quite the shooting range. $125 a year! Ouch. Let's shoot :) for less than that given the taxpayers already pay to maintain where we'll shoot @.

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:16:18 AM EDT
Ha! That's nothing compared to these guys. They pay $3000 to join and $85/ month. Hell, they charge $100 just to fill out the application!!!

My club is pretty nice. It meets my needs well.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:39:38 PM EDT
More ideas:

D/FW Gun Club (or Dallas/Ft. Worth)?
D/FW Shooting Club (or Dallas/Ft. Worth)?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:40:18 AM EDT
Forgot to post this from CXM on the High Road:

Carswell AFB Shooters

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:27:48 AM EDT
Folks,

I see North Texas has pulled even w/ Panther City on AR-15.com, & it's already ahead on the High Road. Let me give another pitch for Panther City. While the range we expect to shoot @ is already paid for, gas is $2.00 a gallon. I really don't think folks from all over North Texas are going to drive very far to a range that is only open 5 days a week during working hours. I think it's gonna be folks from west Fort Worth & the north-western suburbs that shoot there. North Texas is an awfully large area, & there's already an organization w/ a similar name.

Panther City is a historic name, & instantly recognizable to folks in Fort Worth & environs. I'm a Dallasite, and even I know what Panther City means. So please - vote for Panther City - early & often : )

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:31:39 PM EDT
while i work at a store and range just up 183 from the base (The Shooters Club), our range is pistol only. I havent been out to the new range yet, even though the base PD Cheif is a friend. I'm in. and I liked the Squirrel Snipers Name, but vote for Panther City. so how far have we gotten on this? I'll start talking to all the customers who shoot rifles about it. I know of the PD want a different place to shoot their AR's. I'll talk to JAck and ask if he knows anything to help this along also.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:02:25 AM EDT
My apologies folks, I'm up to my neck in retail. More after xmas.

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:42:11 AM EDT
I'm in...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:22:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By backbencher:
Folks,

I see North Texas has pulled even w/ Panther City on AR-15.com, & it's already ahead on the High Road. Let me give another pitch for Panther City. While the range we expect to shoot @ is already paid for, gas is $2.00 a gallon. I really don't think folks from all over North Texas are going to drive very far to a range that is only open 5 days a week during working hours. I think it's gonna be folks from west Fort Worth & the north-western suburbs that shoot there. North Texas is an awfully large area, & there's already an organization w/ a similar name.

Panther City is a historic name, & instantly recognizable to folks in Fort Worth & environs. I'm a Dallasite, and even I know what Panther City means. So please - vote for Panther City - early & often : )

Gig 'em,

backbencher

I agree and let me add that everything is north texas this or north texas that. let's be different with panther city.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:43:17 AM EDT
Folks,

Despite the poll on AR-15.com, North Texas Shooting Club came in 1st over on the High Road. And I think I voted once on both fora for Panther City, and tallying the votes, both names are in a dead heat. So, North Texas Shooting Club it is then. If someone would like to step forward as webmaster, let me know & we'll get started w/ the website.

Merry xmas, happy Hanukkah, & a kwaiss Eid.

(cross-posted to the High Road - see above for link)

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Acting Secretary
North Texas Shooting Club
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:40:14 AM EDT
Carswell Targetmasters

-or-

Carswell Shooting Club

I really think the name outta of this group outta have Carswell in it, somewhere. After all, thats where its located.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:23:06 AM EDT
Fail-Safe,

It's now North Texas Shooting Club. We hope to shoot @ NAS JRB Fort Worth, a NAVY base : ) It's not been Carswell AFB for years. Thanks for the suggestions.

Gig 'em,

PO2 backbencher USNR
Acting Secretary
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:40:04 PM EDT
Hey folks:

Just registered NorthTexasShootingClub.org w/ GoDaddy - y'all owe me $11 : ) Will get w/ my hoster Sunday, unless someone else steps forward to be webmeister. Email is our new club name@hotmail.com - will check that periodically. Anyone want to donate their pet-free house for an organizational meeting?

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Acting Secretary

(cross-posted to TheHighRoad.org)
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:09:25 PM EDT
In reply to a question posted on the Highroad.org:

orion,

We don't know the requirements yet. Possibly 3 pints of blood for a DNA sample & your 1st born child. But the process is this: form a shooting club, then go to the Navy hat in hand & say,"We're a shooting club, we'd like to sign a memorandum of understanding." We're still working on the 1st part - we've got a name, a domain name, an email address, & an acting secretary. We need a whole lot more than that, and it's slowly coming together. Once we actually have a web site up, we'll schedule our 1st meeting, elect officers, & collect dues. I'll be calling another prospective web host today - my friend wanted $100 for a year, which I thought a bit much for a simple announcements & contact page.

Gig 'em,

backbencher

Cross posted to AR-15.com
Acting Secretary
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:35:08 PM EDT
Well..I"m in
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:13:14 AM EDT
Folks,

Still getting the website together. A fella from the HighRoad has graciously offered web space, but got snowed under @ work (sound familiar?). He just replied, & hopefully we'll have it up in a couple weeks. Then we can promote it, collect email addys @ northtexasshootingclub@hotmail.com, then schedule our organizational meeting.

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Acting Secretary
Top Top