Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/18/2008 4:59:52 PM EDT
I have an older in ground swimming pool that recently started losing water. It is Gunnite and probably about 20yrs old. I had a local company come out to take a look at it, but their price to resurface seems a little high to me. Anyone have experience with this or can recommend someone?
Thanks,
Robert
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:09:20 PM EDT
The only place my pool has developed leaks is where the skimmer is mounted against the gunite.
take some food coloring and put it in the water by the skimmer to see where it is flowing. If you can see that it is leaking in the joint. Go to home depot and get some epoxy putty (its in a tube in the plumbing dept. )and place it in the seem( you have to squeeze it together to make it work). I did that years ago and havent had a problem since.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:46:55 PM EDT
Probably needs to be re-plastered. It is only good for 10 years or so. It should seal the gunite.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:17:35 AM EDT
check also around the pool light with food coloring .....
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:26:05 AM EDT
Yeah you can check for leaks like was said with food coloring.

Else, if it is probably not that easy to repair (which I would imagine if it's 20 years old and was never replastered) then you should be able to get it replastered for like $4000 or refinished with a quartz or pebble type finish for around $8000. This is assuming an average sized pool of about 15k gallons.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:43:38 AM EDT
We had ours redone about 3 years ago and I think it was a little more than $2000, and that was replaster only. Checking you skimmer intake is a VERY GOOD idea, because alot of times they tend to crack there, either right outside the opening or right inside the opening. Just make sure if you try to seal the cracks yourself, to make sure the surface is very dry so your repair lasts...
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:22:25 AM EDT
Remember, when finding the leak with food coloring, turn off your pump. You need very very still water for it to work. If there's a current from someone swimming, or the pool pump suction, it'll throw it off.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:34:38 AM EDT
I had this problem about a year ago. My pool is 13 years old now.

My leak was around one of the "eyeballs" that pumps water into the pool. My pool service provider sent a guy out and found the leak with the food coloring trick others mentioned. He fixed it in about 10 minutes for $75.

Before the fix, I was adding 2" of water every 2 days. Since it was fixed, I have added water 3 times in the past 12 months.

Having a pool is like taking care of a pet. It does get old after a while.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:37:13 AM EDT
Thanks guys. I think I'll try the food color leak test. Worth a try. I think the company that came out wanted to redo the whole pool. It probably could use it, but no can afford right now.
Robert
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:44:17 PM EDT

j/k ;)
Top Top