Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2003 3:49:42 PM EDT
Thought I'de show you all my SAR-1! It's not the $1200-$20,000 AR's and SAW's that were at the last shoot, but I love her none-the-less!!!
http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data/500/18816SAR-1-today-med.jpg
See you all at the shoot!!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#1]
It needs one more thing .... a 75-rd drum !!  Then you can call it a low-cost fire support system.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:55:40 AM EDT
[#2]
VERY NICE! Im afraid iim comming more and more tothe dark side. seems like my AKs are calling me more and more. thats sad when you own 5 ars. Ronald
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It needs one more thing .... a 75-rd drum !!  Then you can call it a low-cost fire support system.

hehe - that's what I told him yesterday when we were out shooting.

btw - I'll be at the Oct. 4th shoot with my AK also.
http://home.centurytel.net/beta/images/Plum-AK_01.jpg

- Beta
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#4]
METALMAN, if you want I'll bring my drum mag to the Oct. 4 shoot so you can try it out on that setup.  You supply the ammo! lol
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
METALMAN, if you want I'll bring my drum mag to the Oct. 4 shoot so you can try it out on that setup.  You supply the ammo! lol

Ahahahahaaa - he definitely wants to BUMP a full drum, is yours a 100 or 75 rounder?

- Beta
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Show and tell ....

Here is the GreyGhost ... a MAK90 with 8 US compliant parts (KVar stock, ACE grip, Choate handguard, RSA trigger set, Tapco piston, CDNN brake (high temp silver soldered)).

The gun has been reparkerized by Dale McCarthy of Custom Rifles, Lewistown, MO.  A great guy and excellent gunsmith.

The trigger on this rifle was installed and adjusted by Ron Power himself, the brain behind Power Custom & RSA AK trigger.  It is a 2-stage pull, with crisp letoff at 4.5 lbs per NRA service rifle specification.

I run the COF on Sept. 6 using the GreyGhost and happy to find out it can hold its own in the accuracy department against AR15 and others for close range type application.  The GreyGhost had participated in the ComBloc rifle match at the Pioneer gun club for two years in a row.  For 200 yards, it is a good combat rifle with acceptable combat accuracy.  But let just say the shotgroup is a bit too wide for a consistent headshots from 200 yards.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#7]
My drum mag is a 75-rounder.  Show and tell, huh, well I guess I pretty much showed it all at the last shoot...

www.imagestation.com/video/view.html?id=4213798869&dl=1

Remember to right-click, "save as..."
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey Mouse - I like yer FAL better!

I guess I need to name mine the Plum Persuader ;)

- Beta
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Beta, but which one ?

If Tapco sends me the replacement piston in time, I plan to take my Izzy light barrel clone for the next shoot.  There is nothing like an MBR action !!  

Didn't you use your Cetme in the last shoot?  How about taking your L1A1 next time?
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks Beta, but which one ?

If Tapco sends me the replacement piston in time, I plan to take my Izzy light barrel clone for the next shoot.  There is nothing like an MBR action !!  

Didn't you use your Cetme in the last shoot?  How about taking your L1A1 next time?

Ahh, yer mistaking me for Brad - I'm a friend of Brad and MetalMan ;)

I met ya out at Rocky Forks when Brad had his L1A1 out for the first time, and you showed us yours (hrmm that DOESN'T sound good, hehe). I dunno which one that was ;)

I remember talking to you about off-hand shooting, if you recall that.

BTW - I told Brad that he oughta shoot his L1A1, since it werked GREAT for me yesterday! He's had some problems with mags - maybe you can help him out with that?

- Beta
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Ah, my mistake ...

Both of my FALs are metric, so I have no idea what's going on with the inch pattern fal.  All I know is the inch pattern mag fits better on the receiver than the metric due to a stronger welded locking lug rather than a punched out one found on metric mags.  What kind of hiccups did Brad have with his L1A1 ?  What are the symptoms?
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

YOU ARE ON!!!!! Not only will I supply the ammo I will be honing my bumping techniques in the mean time. I figure it takes me about 2 seconds to unload a 30 round clip so a nice 7 second stream will be FREAKIN SWEEEET!!!! Bwa-HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

YOU ARE ON!!!!! Not only will I supply the ammo I will be honing my bumping techniques in the mean time. I figure it takes me about 2 seconds to unload a 30 round clip so a nice 7 second stream will be FREAKIN SWEEEET!!!! Bwa-HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey Mouse gun I have a question about the Grey Ghost.  I noticed you have holes drilled in your upper gas tube. Someone was telling me that reduces the cyclic rate by reducing the amount of gas allowed through the system. Now I know its semi auto, but how come some have these holes and others dont? Mine doesn't. I have heard that they also cause short cycling problems if you are not careful with what type of AK you do this to.
Any input?

Oh , since everyone is naming their babies, mine is now the 'Black Cloud'
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ah, my mistake ...

Both of my FALs are metric, so I have no idea what's going on with the inch pattern fal.  All I know is the inch pattern mag fits better on the receiver than the metric due to a stronger welded locking lug rather than a punched out one found on metric mags.  What kind of hiccups did Brad have with his L1A1 ?  What are the symptoms?

The problem WAS with a metric mag - a guy at the range showed us a difference in the rear slot, the inch has a BIGGER rear slot than the metric?

Anyway, he can always just use the mag that works!

- Beta
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ah, my mistake ...

Mousegun87,
Hey it's Brad, my L1A1 is a Century (ouch i know)and at first the barrel was loose and i sent it back.  Well even with that fixed it just did not seem to fire right.  The action was too tight and the feed was sloppy.  I'm not a gunsmith, but I looked close at the US parts and they are rough.  The machining and surfacing sucked.  The sides of the reciever that the bolt carrier rides has grooves where the milling cut too deep (both sides) and it grabs the carrier.  The hammer had a rough pitted surface, so when the bolt was released it would hang up and not strip a shell off the mag.  The finish covered most of the messed up work.  I used a fine wet/dry paper and smoothed it with a fine steel wool.  The action is a thousand times better and i think when the surfaces mate together it will be a nice weapon.  my chinese MAK has such a smooth action like glass maybe i'm expecting too much.  I am going to look at all the parts real close.  I was told the inch mags are wider than the metric at the opening on the top?  Oh yea, since I can't use my Franchi SPAS 12 at the shoot i will try the L1A1 and my 45!
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Shi_Huang_Di, welcome to the boards.  What is the significance of your name?

No shame in having a Century L1A1, with a little TLC and maybe some parts swapping you can convince them to run 100% reliable, for very little money.  Bring it to the shoot and Mousegun and I can help you diagnose your problem.  In the meantime, try to find "inch" magazines to use in your "inch" receiver, "metric" mags can be used in an emergency but, as you have discovered, they often will have feeding and fitment problems.

METALMAN, I believe that most of the Chinese Kalashnikov variants had holes in the gas tube for a couple of different reasons, namely cyclic rate control and heat dissipation.  Most European variants do not have these holes, and drilling your own on a European gun would probably be a bad idea, since the gas block and gas port are different.

Bring gloves for bumpfiring my drum mag--and I hope you don't mind melting that lower handguard just a bit.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted: Bring gloves for bumpfiring my drum mag--and I hope you don't mind melting that lower handguard just a bit.

Why do ya think he put on that vertical fore-grip! - Beta
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Why do you think I put the wood vertical grip  on mine?

Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Metalman, your question about the holes on the AK gas tube was answered by Duke-Nukem.  I dont know exactly why the Chinese put some holes on the gas tube, but the 3-4 Chinese AKs I have seen all have vented gas tube like on the GreyGhost.  

Brad, try to use only inch magazines on your L1A1.  The inch magazine has a welded locking lug in the front of the mag. The metric mags have a punched out locking lug, not as strong nor as large as the inch mags.  This may result in a sloppy fit if you insert a metric magazine on an inch receiver.  

Your L1A1 probably has a cast hammer, trigger and sear produced by Century Arms.  Their quality is spotty at best.  Duke-Nukem had his HTS failed which he promptly replaced with a milled HTS from FSE.  I have an FSE HTS on my STG, but my Imbel Izzy has a cast HTS set from IAI (probably made by Hesse).  My cast HTS still works fine, so I dont feel the need to replace it with an FSE set yet.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#21]
mousegun87,
I really think the polishing of some of the parts did the trick.  The inch mags are the way to go.  M.T. has brand new ones at a reasonable price, so ill get a couple more.  I'm looking forward to putting some rounds down range to really work the surfaces, and use it at the shoot.

Oh yea the CETME jammed at the last shoot...I have to lube the shells and i did not lube the last 5.  This sounds wierd but i really think the flutes burn all the lube out and those old dry surplus .308  will not feed right (it was left in the sun for an hour before too).

Dukenuckem,
the name is the title of the Emperor of China..221 bc the Qin Dynasty. Thanks for the greeting, and i will have the L1A1 out at the shoot.  Even though it sounds like i butcherd the machining I was very careful polish and clean it up.  I'll show you the "clean up" at the shoot.

Also too everyone at the shoot THANKS for the welcome and the really enjoyable time!  
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#22]
SHD,

did you use any lubing or oil on your L1A1 ?  May want to try some CLP.  Some older guns, like M1, M1A, MAS 49/56 prefers grease over oil.  If CLP does not cut it, you may want to try some GI rifle grease or plastilube. My FAL works well with CLP, but who knows, your L1A1 may does better with grease.

oz
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Mousegun87,
I have encountered more problems with the machining...the rat-tail on the carrier(correct term?) is hitting about half way down.  The machined oblong cut for it to give clearence is cut out to the left and it hits the side.  I opened it up a little (not enough yet) and it is close to closing the action without grabbing.  I really think this is where my final action problem is.  The clp will work fine i think when the action is free.  It sounds once again that im tearing the hell out of this weapon, but I will show you the touch up needed to be done.  If this all works like i think it will i am going to post all the problems and what I did for others.  Thanks for the advice.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I am trying to visualize the problem and what may have caused it.  So, you are saying the rat-tail was rubbing the vertical part of the lower receiver?  Sounds like the upper receiver rail was not aligned well with the rest of the gun.  I would like to see this up close.

I got my Tapco replacement pistons today.  They are much better made than the ones they put out years ago.  So my FAL seem to be ready for the 4th of OCt.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#25]
mousegun87,

I'll bring it and show you sat.  It is in the machining.  Below where the rat tail fits into the plunger in the stock they machine the bottom of the hole to allow the rod to move down when the carrier cycles.  On my lower the hole is suppose to be oblong to allow for this, but it was machined off to the left a little and it hits about half way down.  A small amount of metal needs to be removed to make it clear.  I will remove it when i get time this week, test fire it, and it should be ready for saturdays shoot.  If it still acts up I may be using my CETME or MAK!

I am looking forward to seeing you FAL to compare some of the tolerances, fitting and machining.  The next rifle I buy I will go over very carefully!      
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top