Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 1:18:24 PM EDT
As some of you may remember, I have been looking for a Denver area rifle range to sight in at for over a year.  I'm somewhat shocked not to have found anything decent, but I guess I'm just spoiled by the Phoenix area.

Anyway, I heard that K2 had a rifle range, and they were close to me.  I knew going in that they were overpriced, but I really needed to get my post-post ban project rifles sighted in.  Being a younger guy (I'll be 20 in January), I thought I'd try to get some information on range policy, etc.  I emailed Scott Wolff, one of the range partners and got the following response:

Ben,

There are five lanes for rifle at 100 yards, and the bullet trap is rated for everything up to and including the .50BMG.  The target trolley is able to be moved from 0 out to 100 yards in one-half yard (18-inch) increments….So the distance is entirely up to you…We charge $15.00 per hour, per shooter.  And generally on weekends the rifle fills up first, especially now with hunting season going.  But during the week it’s okay—especially during the daytime….If there is a wait, it’s between thirty minutes to an hour.  As far as the age goes, if you are of legal age to be in possession of a rifle, then you are more than welcome to use our rifle range.

If you have any other questions, please let me know…

Regards,

Scott Wolff

LE Sales/Training

K2 Firearms Training Center, Inc.

I have a big shoot coming, so I went in today to sight in.  As I entered the range, the first thing I saw was a sign saying something like:  "No shooters under the age of 21 unless accompanied by an adult."  I figured I'd still give it a try, and they actually didn't care that I'm under 21, nor should they, especially after what Mr. Wolff told me.

They rang me up, and I was thinking that it would be fine.  The range itself was OK, though firing an AR15 and an AR10 underground is never particularly great.  I got my AR15 sighted in, and pulled out my AR10 to do it.  At that point(1 hour into shooting), one of the employees tapped me on the back of the shoulder to say my time was up.  

I went with him back out to the counter to get another hour, and he informed me that during hunting season, it was $15/half hour.  Apparently hunting season goes from now until march...  Also during hunting season, each shoorer is only allowed to shoot for 1/2 hour, and they were  being nice to me for letting me stay longer.

I hadn't finished yet, so I asked to pay for another half hour.  He had to go check with someone, but let me, for another $15.  I quickly finished sighting the '10 and left.  On the way out though, I saw a sign saying something like: "It is against the law for anyone under the age of 21 to be in possesion of  a handgun.  This facility will work with law enforcement to enforce this"  which is just not true.  Thankfully I had not brought a pistol, or I might have had to deal with the police.

So to all who want to shoot in Denver-- Avoid K2.  I still don't know where I will go in the future.  If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the heads-up. I've never been in there, have the $ for a new rifle and am going shopping tomorrow. They were on my list to visit. Not now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top