Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/28/2005 10:36:34 PM EDT
The AC/Heat guy was over to service our heater today and I think he might have stolen one of my pistols. I was cleaning it the other day and left it under my gun-rug on my desk(in the basement) and didnt remember to put it away. I left the guy down there for about 2 hours not even realizing it was still down there relativly out in the open. Going through to finish the cleaning process tonight, I come to realize that my pistol is nowhere to be found. I havent had a chance to talk to my roomate yet but I'm leaning HEAVILY towards the AC/Heat guy to be responsible. If after checking with my roomate tomorrow when he gets back into town it turns out the repairman did indeed steal it, what steps should I take? I'm really fucking freaking out right now and dont know what to do.

Joe
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 10:49:52 PM EDT
Damn that sucks. I woudl just hope that friend/roommate/wife might have put it away. AFter they confirm that they did nothing with it (and s long as everything was/is legal about the pistol) I would file a police report and tell them what you told us. Unless you have the serial number written down you may be SOL. I hope the best for you
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 1:55:09 AM EDT
I'd be sure to call the office for the HVAC company. They might tell you to f*&% off, but they might also have gotten other complaints of theft against this same technician and will see a pattern. Probably won't get you your gun back, but it's about the only thing you can do.

Oh, I wholeheartedly recommend you immediately report it stolen. If it ends up being used in a crime you don't want the serial # being traced back to you if it gets left at the scene. Since the IBIS system is such a flop the ballistic fingerprinting won't be the biggest thing to worry about.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:37:10 AM EDT
Assuming your roommate didn't take it, definitely file a police report that it was stolen. At least then you'll have an "official" paper trail in case your firearm is used in a bad way. You'll have it on record that you didn't have it in your possession when a crime was committed with it. Cover your butt. I do hope it works out.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:55:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TallNorton:
I'd be sure to call the office for the HVAC company. They might tell you to f*&% off, but they might also have gotten other complaints of theft against this same technician and will see a pattern. Probably won't get you your gun back, but it's about the only thing you can do.

Oh, I wholeheartedly recommend you immediately report it stolen. If it ends up being used in a crime you don't want the serial # being traced back to you if it gets left at the scene. Since the IBIS system is such a flop the ballistic fingerprinting won't be the biggest thing to worry about.

I agree 100%, call the police NOW.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 11:59:31 AM EDT
Montgomery County Police is on their way. I wont get in trouble for not having the chain-lock on it will I? I mean its in my house, unloaded and all the paperwork is legit on it. Will update with news after I talk to the cops.

Joe
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 3:25:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By -Mil-Surp-Phreak-:
Montgomery County Police is on their way. I wont get in trouble for not having the chain-lock on it will I? I mean its in my house, unloaded and all the paperwork is legit on it. Will update with news after I talk to the cops.

Joe

Check with your roomate; hopefully he or she just put it away. However, good call on reporting it to the police. I seem to recall that MD has some sort of requirement for how long you have between when you discover it stolen and when you report it stolen to the police. Hopefully you have the serial number. When you find out if it was the HVAC guys or not, be sure to let us know which company it was. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 3:48:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By libertyforall:

Joe

Check with your roomate; hopefully he or she just put it away. However, good call on reporting it to the police. I seem to recall that MD has some sort of requirement for how long you have between when you discover it stolen and when you report it stolen to the police. Hopefully you have the serial number. When you find out if it was the HVAC guys or not, be sure to let us know which company it was. Good luck.

They tried to push through that law last year, but it was one of the bills that was defeated thanks to the dozens of gun owners who sat in the hearings for hours. If anyone ever tells you that going to Annapolis makes no difference, they are wrong.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 4:27:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/29/2005 4:29:20 PM EDT by -Mil-Surp-Phreak-]
Ok heres the deal....I've got the report from the officer who stopped by, he went to the HVAC business to try to talk to them and is going to call me tomorrow with more details. I myself talked to the business and got the run-around from someone who wasnt in charge. They seemed to have an attitude when I told them I suspected their employee and insisted that they couldnt do anything for 3 days when the owner of the business returns from "vacation" In talking with the officer, he said there is but a slim chance that I will be able to recover my Sig and very little hope of getting prosecution brought upon whoever took it. Im not too happy with that fact but at least the cop was honest and upfront about that part of the whole mess. I'm fucking livid at myself right now for not taking the extra 30 seconds and putting my pistol away before heading to lunch, but more pissed that someone had the balls to steal something and hope that I wouldnt report it. I will continue to keep everyone up to date on the situation as it drags on. Im not comfortable throwing the name out on the net yet in case of future court appearences. Guess I dont have any excuses not to buy a gun-safe anymore right? An expensive lesson learned on my part. Thanks to all for your concern and your guidance. Wish me luck.....I'll keep you all updated.

Joe
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 5:14:42 PM EDT
What HVAC company was it? That way we'll know NOT to use them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 5:29:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/29/2005 7:06:01 PM EDT by -Mil-Surp-Phreak-]
Not comfortable giving the name just yet. After I get done talking with my uncle who is a laywer and I talk to the investigating office some more I'll let you all know.

Joe
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:06:31 PM EDT
The police report is in hand with the investigating officers business card and I did try to call the company. I got the brush-off and was transferred to several different people with no real progress. They wouldnt give me the guy's last name or his Union# and said that the owner of the company was "out of town on vacation for a few more days" and that they couldnt do anything until they returned. I dont want to list the name of the company just yet, but now they are adding to my frustration about the whole dilemma.
Be aware of any Sig P229R 9mms with hogue wrap-around grips with one screw missing, and an onboard Insight M3 that may or may not pop up on the market in the Maryland area or on the net. If one does and you do see it, please IM or email me for the Serial# from my stolen Sig P229R. I've alerted my local gunshops and pawnshops of my situation and contacted my uncle who is a lawyer about my legal options against both the individual and the company.
I dont think anything further is going to happen until tomorrow afternoon so I will update everyone then. Thanks again to everyone for their continued support and suggestions...Nice to know someone out there feels my pain.

Joe
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 1:37:22 AM EDT
Good luck! What part of the state are you in? If I get out to the shops this weekend I'll keep my eyes peeled.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 5:29:15 AM EDT
Sorry to hear about that. I hate a thief. That's pretty ballsy to take it while you're home. Too bad you didn't catch him taking it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 7:21:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Trumpet:
What HVAC company was it? That way we'll know NOT to use them.

IMHO . . . Not such a good idea to post this and likely not fair at this point either, depends on how the company's owner handles it if/when they find him.

I can assure you that, were it one of my guys, police involvement or not, if he wanted to have his job in the AM, we'd both be going to visit the owner NOW to talk this over.

BUT, I would be very disappointed in my staff if they, in my absence, overstepped their positions regarding accepting responsibility for something like this. Do not mistake this for evasion or protection of the (possibly) guilty. To me, a bit more professionalism in handling your call is certainly in order, but they DO need the owner to address this with you and not say anything that might be misconstrued.

If one has been advised the owner is out of town for a few days, to continue calling is obviously going to be non-productive and inflammatory, and likely taken that way by stressed out underlings.

Want what could seem to be a runaround? Ok, expect results before the "few days" the owner is expected to be away, and this staff has advise you he will be away, expires. . . . for this reason, I'd say to wait for Mil-Surp-Phreak to speak with the owner of the company, who definitely owes him a reasonable response.

I don't run an HVAC company, but do work for a general contractor and these issues will arise. We had a new plumber's helper lift one of the other guy's cell phones while it sat on a counter on the job. Had he not called his mom on it, he might never have been caught, but the accusations flew and several guys were strongly suspected, obviously not all of them were guilty. . . .

Why not to publish the company info?:

#1: There is no proof (yet), so it's all libel, eh?
#2: Don't want to jepoardize any legal position if court becomes necessary.
#3: Bear in mind that "court" can go both ways, and unfounded accusations in the absence of real proof can easily lead to a libel/slander suit. Why assume the risk?
#4: If the employee actually did steal it, he will be terminated (and arrested), and thus no longer a risk
#5: The company is really not obligated to, and may not be at liberty to give out any personal details on their employees
#6: It's Maryland gun season for deer (Ha!) . . . . my company's owner, and it's GM (me) have both "been on vacation for a few days" - there are more hunters in construction trades than about any other field . . . think it through . . . .
#7: The owner might actually be totally temporarily out of touch. Quite a few places right here near metropolis have NO cell service . . . deer camp, for instance.
#8: To expect any difinitive action in the ower's absence is unrealistic. There is really no one at my own company that could, or is authorized to, make any sort of command decision in our absence - like many HVAC companies, for instance, it's just not that big.

I easily can see my secretary freaking out at an angry homeowner calling and accusing one of our employees of such a deed, why would not the other company's personnel be evasive and clueless?

I WOULD say, however, that the homeowner had better be treated with the utmost courtesy and that someone had better be calling every dang number they have for me and the our owner as well, should something like that ever happen to us with one of our guys.

Mil-Surp-Phreak, sorry you lost your handgun, man. Talk to your roommate yet? Know him well? I hope it all works out for you. I'd like to hear what the HVAC company's owner has to say when you speak with him.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 7:29:50 AM EDT
Call your insurance company and talk to your agent about putting in a claim.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 7:37:22 AM EDT
This is the reason why I never leave a serviceman by themselves. It only takes a second and something is gone. Hell, even when I have been there, I have seen them try to put some of my tools into their boxes. Wether they were stealing or a honest mistake, if I wasn't there the tools would have been gone. I now clean everything up in the area they will be working. And hide the fact that I even have guns, safe and a tools are hidden.

And they do other shit, like smoke my house without asking.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 8:45:40 AM EDT
Still waiting for someone from the HVAC company to respond to my call yesterday, and the responding officer has some more follow up things to do so no progress yet. I agree wholeheartedly with what eshell has said about keeping my mouth shut about the business so until I talk to someone in charge there I will reserve judgment on them. When I first called them though I got what sounded like a teenage girl on the other end, and when she asked what had been stolen and I told her a handgun, I got put on hold for a transfer so fast I think I got whiplash lol.
As to the questions about my roomate, he has been my best friend since 6th grade so I know when he is lying to me, and besides that, he wasnt even in the house during the time period the HVAC serviceman was. I appreciate that you all are exploring all the possibilities but I have pretty much narrowed it down to 100% sure it was the HVAC guy because I wouldnt steal my own pistol I dont think lol. I've finally stopped being pissed and sobbing when I look at the empty case and am now even more determined to get to the bottom of this.
Once again, I will keep you all updated.

Joe
ETA: Im in Montgomery County and the guy apparently lived in Mt. Airy from what I got from talking to him(before we went into the basement)
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 11:44:10 AM EDT
Hope you are able to get your pistol back and they can put that a-hole in jail for a long time.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 12:16:40 PM EDT
once again let me say i am sorry for your loss. i find that there are few happy resolutions in situations like this. Eshell i agree with the things you say but that is also assuming good customer service, A hard thing to find today. Many employers have more loyalty to staff and the path of least resistance. MSF - stay strong and calm and just continue to be a thorn in there side. I know stuff like this throws me into a rage but that seldom accomplishes much. Good luck and definatly keep us updated
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 3:10:24 PM EDT
eshell,
I do agree with what you're saying. But consider this; if one of your employees was thought to have stolen a high dollar item (let alone a handgun) from a client, wouldn't you want to know ASAP regardless of where you were? I sure would. That's why people leave emergency contact numbers, and I would say an employee possibly stealing a handgun from a client is an emergency.

R
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 11:39:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Trumpet:
eshell,
I do agree with what you're saying. But consider this; if one of your employees was thought to have stolen a high dollar item (let alone a handgun) from a client, wouldn't you want to know ASAP regardless of where you were? I sure would. That's why people leave emergency contact numbers, and I would say an employee possibly stealing a handgun from a client is an emergency.

R

Absolutely, I DO agree Trumpet, this is as close to a company emergency as it gets w/o blood or fire (or positive home pregnancy test) . . . .that's why I said this above:

I can assure you that, were it one of my guys, police involvement or not, if he wanted to have his job in the AM, we'd both be going to visit the owner NOW to talk this over.

and

I WOULD say, however, that the homeowner had better be treated with the utmost courtesy and that someone had better be calling every dang number they have for me and the our owner as well, should something like that ever happen to us with one of our guys.

Link Posted: 12/1/2005 2:31:16 PM EDT
Tag
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 9:26:00 PM EDT
Tagged, I hope you get your pistol back
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 12:46:38 PM EDT
Mil-Surp,

There's a small shop down in St Mary's county listing a SIG 229 on his sale flyer as a "new arrival" ....don't know if this refers to a single firerarm or multiples. Let me know how to contact you off board and I will forward you the flyer.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 1:12:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2005 1:13:15 PM EDT by Zaplatus]
I live in St' Mary's. I'd be willing to go have a look at the sig for you. Shoot me a email Overlijden@gmail.com - Zap
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 3:03:19 PM EDT
Damn! Another St Marys boy!
Shop on St Andrews Ch RD?
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 3:59:30 PM EDT
Aren't FFL's required to do a check on used weapons they get in to make sure they aren't stolen?
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:11:19 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I just went back and looked at the advertisement one more time......the 229 in the ad is a .40sw.......my mistake, glad I didn't mention the name of the shop.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:17:28 AM EDT
On used guns the serial number gets checked when someone buys the gun and does papers on it.
The shops are required to get the seller's name address phone number and drivers license number.
If the gun comes up stolen the state police will contact the shop to get this info.

Mil - even one of the cheap safes from Kmart is better than nothing. And it cost a lot less than your pistol did.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 1:53:04 PM EDT
It'll probably turn up in a street shooting. I used to work for DNR and the idiot DNR cops, when they got their pistols, would sometimes leave them sitting in the Tawes state office building mail room, so one time, a box of them got stolen. They never reported it to any other law enforcement since they are supposed to be some sort of "law enforcement" (as much a joke as that is). Eventually, as I heard, at least one of the pistols popped up in a Baltimore city shooting.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:59:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:57:53 PM EDT
I appreciate the offer BBQMan and would take you up on it if I didnt move around so often. I dont know how long I'll be at the place Im at and dont know if I would be able to take it along with me. Let me get through this month and I'll let you know. Thanks again.

Joe
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:03:57 AM EDT
I had a SW 29 44 mag that I legally sold turn up in a double homcide. I sold this in good faith to a guy I used to work with. This was back when you could do face to face handgun sales without running through the MSP. To make a long story short, about a year later, I got a knock on the door. It was the ATF wanting to know why a gun registered in my name was involved in a serious crime. I about $hit in my pants. All I needed to do was show proof of the sale of the weapon, which I did. I made a copy of the receipt and gave it to them. Never heard from them again.

It turned out that the guy I sold the 44 to was a convicted felon. I worked with this guy for 2 years and had known him prior for several years. Never knew he was a scum bag. Even went shooting with him many times. Never seemed like one of the bad guys. Luckily on the receipt I had him sign, it stated that he was legally able to own it......CYA

Live and learn.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:11:07 AM EDT
That sucks dude... keep us posted.

Was the guy's name anywhere on the service receipt?

Have you talked to your roommate yet?
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:42:55 AM EDT
check ur email. mcp has a half dozen gun nuts assigned to handle firearms crimes. the only thing they love more than catching a gun thief is a day at the range.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:44:49 PM EDT
So whats the latest update?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:18:33 PM EDT
bump, any news. Would love to know how this worked out
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:05:50 AM EDT
Latest update is.....there is nothing to update. The guy has pretty much gotten away scotfree with my pistol. There isnt enough to charge him with a crime and his company wont do anything unless charges are filed. I've already picked up a 1911 to fill the void and this has pretty much just been a lesson on what not to do....albeit a very expensive lesson. Thanks for the outburst of concern and thoughts everyone. Happy Holidays to you and yours this season.

Joe
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:52:00 PM EDT
My cousin Vinny once gave me some advice on how to handle a situation like this...Capice?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:53:28 AM EDT
New Update.....My case has been turned over to the Firearms division of MoCo police so now I might actually be going in the right direction. Talked to the detective today and hes gonna get on it today. Things are starting to look up a little bit but I still entertain no hope of ever getting it back.

Joe
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:38:46 AM EDT

New Update.....My case has been turned over to the Firearms division of MoCo police so now I might actually be going in the right direction. Talked to the detective today and hes gonna get on it today. Things are starting to look up a little bit but I still entertain no hope of ever getting it back.

Joe

Did he mention anything about "leads" or having the whole crime lab working in shift on your case?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:38:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:

Joe

Did he mention anything about "leads" or having the whole crime lab working in shift on your case?

And solved in an hour with limited commercial interuption.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:25:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:54:20 PM EDT
How about Home Owners Insurance? You didn't make a claim??
Frank
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:43:13 PM EDT
No updates as of yet. Left a message for the Detective to call me back tomorrow on my day off so I can shoot the shit and figure out exactly what has been going on and what my options are.
Top Top