Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 5:29:31 PM EDT
My buddy received his permit a few months back as he just turned old enough. He works at a motel here in Columbus. Saturday a potential robber came in and my friend shot him 3 times. No charges have been filed against him as he refused to make a statement at that time before consulting a lawyer. The amazing part was the guy he shot was only 20 and had been arrested for armed robbery, aggravated armed robbery, and auto theft. He was a 3x felon on the street trying to commit a 4th. My buddy said that the cops were really relaxed to deal with in a highly tense situation. He did mention they took his G27 with no mention as to when hed get it back.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I sure hope the guy that he shot was armed as well. Was he?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#2]
keep us updated
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:02:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes the man pulled a revolver. My friend drew on him and ordered him to drop the gun. The guy started to lift his gun and thats when my buddy shot him. There was a co worker as well as a lady holding a baby inside the lobby when this occured.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:56:59 AM EDT
[#4]
tag

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:19:33 AM EDT
[#5]
tag for more info.... another +1 for the good guys
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:30:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yes the man pulled a revolver. My friend drew on him and ordered him to drop the gun. The guy started to lift his gun and thats when my buddy shot him. There was a co worker as well as a lady holding a baby inside the lobby when this occured.

Excellent.  Sounds like he handled it perfectly.  With witnesses he should have no problem.  Definitely keep us posted on how it turns out for him.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like he used a gun!
j/k

Well done.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:48:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Hopefully the BG is DEAD
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Last I heard was BG was in Critical Condition.  

Story is here: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2648
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Publius' employer also has no problem with the employees taking appropriate self-defense precautions

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My buddy received his permit a few months back as he just turned old enough. He works at a motel here in Columbus. Saturday a potential robber came in and my friend shot him 3 times. No charges have been filed against him as he refused to make a statement at that time before consulting a lawyer. The amazing part was the guy he shot was only 20 and had been arrested for armed robbery, aggravated armed robbery, and auto theft. He was a 3x felon on the street trying to commit a 4th. My buddy said that the cops were really relaxed to deal with in a highly tense situation. He did mention they took his G27 with no mention as to when hed get it back.

Anybody(LEO or DA's) know if he can carry until the investigation is over?
Can he carry another handgun until his is returned?
When will his be returned?
Are there laws on the books that protect him from repercussions if it is ruled a "good shoot?"
(Such as the "Good Samaritan Law" that protects those that render aid to the injured)

I'm not flaming him.(Good Job keeping a cool head!) I was just wondering if he was at work and, (God Forbid), was put in the situation where he had to use deadly force again before his handgun was returned; what the procedure was.

Hessian-1

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#13]
good deal.....i hope he doesnt get in a bit of trouble as there was a mother there holding a baby who in the end was probly very thankful to your friend cause who knows what that guy could have done....
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Are there laws on the books that protect him from repercussions if it is ruled a "good shoot?"
(Such as the "Good Samaritan Law" that protects those that render aid to the injured)

I'm not flaming him.(Good Job keeping a cool head!) I was just wondering if he was at work and, (God Forbid), was put in the situation where he had to use deadly force again before his handgun was returned; what the procedure was.

I am not a DA, just a LEO..  
If he was indeed lawful in the carry, and has not been charged with any crime up to this point, I can think of no reason he cannot carry.  If he has a valid Ohio permit, it does not specify what gun he must carry, so again without researching, he should be legal carrying another gun.
If he is cleared "justifiable use of lethal force" he can still be sued civilly by the family of the BG.  No "Good Samaritan Law" that I know of.  Unless this took place on the water? Interesting thought actually.  Just as a LEO can be cleared and still sued in civil court, so can the person in this case.
This is off the top of my head and I have done no specific research in this area, so this should not be used a "law" just my opinion at this point.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#15]
i hope everything goes well for your friend.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:43:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Ditto on that...

Where did this occur?  any news links?   I would love to see the media's view on this and how they portray it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:17:15 PM EDT
[#17]
if the police did not take his permit and no charges have been filed he shoudl be in the clear......

another one for the good guys....

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#18]
good deal.....glad everything is ok
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Your buddy will get his piece back after they decide not to charge him with anything.  At minimum, it will probably take a couple of weeks. If he hasnt done so already I would make sure he has a receipt for the gun, find out who the lead detective is, and who the property Sgt is.  This will help expedite the return process. And good call on him not making a statement until he consulted an attorney. Hopefully there is a security camera that shows the dirtbag reaching for his gun 1st.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#20]
The Dispatch didn't really smear him. They didn't praise him either.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I am not a DA, just a LEO..  
If he was indeed lawful in the carry, and has not been charged with any crime up to this point, I can think of no reason he cannot carry.  If he has a valid Ohio permit, it does not specify what gun he must carry, so again without researching, he should be legal carrying another gun.
If he is cleared "justifiable use of lethal force" he can still be sued civilly by the family of the BG.  No "Good Samaritan Law" that I know of.  Unless this took place on the water? Interesting thought actually.  Just as a LEO can be cleared and still sued in civil court, so can the person in this case.
This is off the top of my head and I have done no specific research in this area, so this should not be used a "law" just my opinion at this point.

+1  
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top