Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2006 8:21:56 AM EDT
Hello Everyone!
 I've been luking on this site for a few months now, I've only made a couple of posts as I'm a long time pistol guy and just got my AR in October.  But after competing in my first action rilfe event. I just have to tell you guys IT'S A BLAST!!!  If you get a chance DO IT! The folk there are fun, friendly, and helpful to the first time shooter.
   Five stages of all types of different shooting. Up close, nearly point blank stuff to steel plates at 200 yards.  If you would have asked me if I could hit a 12" steel plate at 200 yards two weeks ago I'd have said "no way".  But I was poping them with relitive ease with just an EoTech no magnfication! That kind of shooting is probably old hat to some of you, but it's brand-new to me, and I loved it!  

I highly recomend checking it out!
  Be Safe,
  Jimmyd
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I want to try something like this.  I seems like it would be really fun and challenging.  Do you have to have a carbine length AR or can I use my 20" A4 upper?  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I want to try something like this.  I seems like it would be really fun and challenging.  Do you have to have a carbine length AR or can I use my 20" A4 upper?  

Forgive me, my AR vocabulary isn't up to snuff yet... If a 16 inch barrel and 6 position stock  qualifies as carbine length then yes.
 There were all manner of rifles there. Long, short, scopes, iron sights, optics, fixed stocks, bipods... you name it.  I consider my rifle (and skills) very average, and I finished out the day 19th out of 53 shooters. Suffice it to say no matter what you shoot you’re gonna have fun!  Bring bug spray, sun screen, about 300 rounds (you'll take some home), and at least two mags.  You can not have more fun for $10!
 Be Safe,
  Jimmy D
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hello Everyone!
 I've been luking on this site for a few months now, I've only made a couple of posts as I'm a long time pistol guy and just got my AR in October.  But after competing in my first action rilfe event at Hernando Sportsman Culb I just have to tell you guys IT'S A BLAST!!!  If you get a chance DO IT! The folk there are fun, friendly, and helpful to the first time shooter.
   Five stages of all types of different shooting. Up close, nearly point blank stuff to steel plates at 200 yards.  If you would have asked me if I could hit a 12" steel plate at 200 yards two weeks ago I'd have said "no way".  But I was poping them with relitive ease with just an EoTech no magnfication! That kind of shooting is probably old hat to some of you, but it's brand-new to me, and I loved it!  
  Anyway, heres a link to thier site:
Hernando Club
I highly recomend checking it out!
  Be Safe,
  Jimmyd

Shhhhh, it is our secret.  Brian and I didn't tell you about it so you could tell the whole world.  J
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you had a blast.  I just got my rifle last month and am hoping to find something similar in the S. Florida area.  Anybody know about any place that has these types of shoots in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#5]
We will be up there in May and June. We are hoping to get enuff folks to make up our own squad.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah the hernando shoot is the best thing going.

Some REALLY creative stage construction and the 'cowboy' guys have built up some nice props to use. If any of them read this I'd like to thank the regulars who set up and run that event. Well done fellas!

I recommend it to just about everyone I talk to but it's beginning to get a little crowded with 50-60 guys on 5 stages (particularly if one of the stages takes too long to re-tape and gets all backed up!).

I missed it last weekend but I'll be there in May.

Good chance to practice your skills at different distances, while moving, reloading as well as giving your rifle quite a workout/function check. Very interesting to see the number of equipment malfunctions.

Good times indeed!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:40:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
We will be up there in May and June. We are hoping to get enuff folks to make up our own squad.

Count me in.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sounds like you had a blast.  I just got my rifle last month and am hoping to find something similar in the S. Florida area.  Anybody know about any place that has these types of shoots in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area?

Sure do!

It's called South Florida Defensive Carbine Club SFDCC and we meet once a month on the last Tuesday Night of the month at Markham Park.

Check here for the exact date. In_Burrito runs the show and he's the one who'll post the when/where.

Rifle length is fine and usually a pistol is included in the COF.
Last month we had a guy with an SKS with stripper clips. He did well.

Here's a link to some more info.

tssa.net/SFDCC.htm

Check it out, you'll love it. There are some guys who attend with actual combat experience.
You'll learn a lot and improve your skills. Make sure you're safe at all times and you'll have a great time. It's very therapeutic!

HS1
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#9]
There will be on this tuesday coming at markham park.  Its a 3 gun match held by the south florida pistol club.  sigh up is from 6.30 to 7 pm.  and it costs $17 bucks.  this one is held on the 3rd tuesday of every month and the tssa one on the 4th tuesday of every month.  This way we get two matches a month.  the one this tuesday you will need your shotgun (not mandatory), rifle and pistol.  the tssa you  only need a rifle and pistol.  for the people that live in miami its a trek but worth it.  usually takes about an hour to get there in the traffic.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

hey Mark let Boom know he likes to go up there , and i will be intrested also
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hey Mark let Boom know he likes to go up there , and i will be intrested also

Well unless something comes up we are for sure goin up. May and June. Dunno about any other dates. But ill IM ya'll night or two b4 hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top