Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/26/2005 8:46:00 PM EDT
Like a SOB!!!  So, here are my options: (1) not go to LCR shoots, (2) wear ear protection the whole time at the next LCR, or (3) talk you guys into having some consideration as to when the range goes hot and tannerite goes hot.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Like a SOB!!!  So, here are my options: (1) not go to LCR shoots, (2) wear ear protection the whole time at the next LCR, or (3) talk you guys into having some consideration as to when the range goes hot and tannerite goes hot.

I think I agree with the last one....

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if electronic muffs would work with your hearing aid?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

No.  My hearing loss is too severe.  I've tried them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#4]
My ears ring pretty bad all the time so I pretty much wear plugs whenever someone is shooting. The smallest bit of gunfire makes my ears REALLY ring now. I won't even shoot a 22 without plugs anymore.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.  My hearing loss is too severe.  I've tried them.

Both hearing aid and muffs at the same time, or just muffs? I suppose muffs wouldn't get a good seal around the hearing aid though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey RS, not to change the subject, but a question...

One of my best friends is deaf, and wears hearing aids just for some sound, but they are not really anygood for anything...anyway, I fly Radio Control planes and he wants me to teach him to fly them. The prob is He is going to have to learn to tune the engine and to do that he has to be able to hear it, and also be able to hear it in the sky when it over rev's so he can throttle it down. I have never said anything about it and just keep telling him I will and never get around to it. I think I can Maybe get by with a digital Tachometer but with these little 2-stroke's that is not very reliable. any ideas?...or should I just let him fly planes that only have electric motors?....

Other prob is, I have to be able to talk to him when he is learning to fly them and I dont want him to watch my lips when he should be watching the plane, but I think I may have that prob taken care of with a buddy cord so I can take control from him...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's an IM I was going to send 1GR, but I decided to post it here instead.

Hey 1GR, you know how you were talking about having a no shoot shoot get together?  What if we made the shoots more enjoyable by having an hour on hour off range hot and cold?  I feel this is as much a social gathering as it is a shoot.  I'm not looking for rules, but common courtesy among friends.  I have other shooting friends that don't come to the shoots, and we respect each other's ear protection.  and we kind of plan how we're gonna do things.  I don't see why an LCR should be any different.  I feel it would just make it more enjoyable for everybody, except maybe a couple of renegades that wanna shoot whenever the fuck they want to.

ETA:  IM sent to R-32 so not to hijack my thread.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I was talking in the tent and removed my plug to hear what someone said, just as they let off a 5 gallon bottle. My ear rang for weeks. Not fun. Won't happen again.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I was talking in the tent and removed my plug to hear what someone said, just as they let off a 5 gallon bottle. My ear rang for weeks. Not fun. Won't happen again.

SEE!!!!

Now you all know why I dont come to these thing's!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My ears ring pretty bad all the time so I pretty much wear plugs whenever someone is shooting. The smallest bit of gunfire makes my ears REALLY ring now. I won't even shoot a 22 without plugs anymore.

Yeah, after I noticed I had noticible permanent hearing damage, I started getting paranoid about plugs.  I'm sure a number of you all noticed me shouting around the campfire, because I hadn't yet taken my plugs out ...
Tinnitus is bad, mm'kay?

Anyway, I don't what to say for Coyote's problem.  I don't really know how his hearing is in each ear, and I seem to recall him wearing a plug in the non-hearing-aid ear everytime I happened to notice (of course, I could have simply only noticed when he had them, and didn't notice when he didn't).
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#11]
My only problem is the range would be called cold, and not be noticably called hot...

so the muffs would come off and not have time to go back on... especially when someone was a good shot and actually hit the tannarite first time out.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

#1.  Um .....No
#2.  Um .....No
#3.  Sounds like a plan.  What would you like to see?  Let's explore it more.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

#1.  Um .....No
#2.  Um .....No

Hearing loss is not something to dick around with.

How about a blowing a whistle or sounding an air horn when the range goes hot?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
#3  What would you like to see?  Let's explore it more.

Who the F are you?...You sound like Dr Ruth...

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Great idea FK!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

#1.  Um .....No
#2.  Um .....No

That would be the logical solution.  One blast for a stop.  Two blasts for a restart...3 blasts on a horn for hot.  I know it sounds like we are being affected by carbinemonoxide poisoning () but hearing protection is a serious topic.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know we could of used you on Saturday night.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gibby's my friend.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gibby's my friend.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#20]
These are on the shopping list.  I just need to collect more pennies.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:49:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
especially when someone was a good shot and actually hit the tannarite first time out.

Sorry, I'll try to miss more often
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
especially when someone was a good shot and actually hit the tannarite first time out.

If you meant Saturday night when Cav & Coyote were bump-firing and went cold long enough for me to place a one liter bottle of Tannerite about 75 yards out then hit it one shot, one kill thanks to Hillary. . . my bad.

Another idea could be to move tent / camper city towards where ASG and I had our set-up, because it wasn't too loud that way.  Actually, living in such close proximity to the firing line doesn't seem to be a great idea from several safety stand-points.  Food for thought from a newly-minted LCRookie. (0nly NASCAR fans will understand the signifigance of yellow)
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:19:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For the I.V.'s or the CO poisoning?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:31:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:07:29 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I really think 14 hrs of straight shooting is rediculous.  I would like to see some organized competitions and structured shooting.  Hell I might even shoot then.

The unknown blasts and booms get annoying.

Wasnt it you that said, "We need to have a shoot with no shooting", or something like that? We all know you dont care for the shooting, you bitch about it at every shoot, but then go turn music up sky high no matter how many people ask you to turn that off.

If you want to have a campout with no shooting, fine, organize one.

A shitpile of people come to these to shoot. A lot of us cant shoot where we live, and the catalyst to coming to this is the ability to shoot. To park your rig right by the firing line and then want restrictions is like moving in next to an airport and then bitching about the planes. Rediculous.

Tannerite warning? I can see that. Someone bring an airhorn. Problem solved.

I think the campers that want farther away from the shooting line can camp further down in the back. In fact I think if we reverse that way we setup camp, with the firepit and general hangout area down in back, cars in the middle, and firing range where it is, it would further seperate the shooting from the socialization, and might be a very good thing.

I did notice the range going cold being well called, but not so for range hot. This was done multiple times throughout the weekend and is not a good thing.  

The on again off again idea with a horn signalling range status is a good idea.

+1

I think this last shoot was the best ever, and I really doubt if any future ones can be as good. I really dont care which way this goes, as I really have no future attendance plans at this time. I dont think cancelling or restricting shooting is a good thing though, and can only help to disenfranchise shooters who attend, to shoot.

There are forces from all sides at work. The last one was the original shoot all grown up. Once it passes through puberty, it will never be the same again.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:24:38 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For the I.V.'s or the CO poisoning?

yes and yes
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:42:23 AM EDT
[#29]

I think this last shoot was the best ever, and I really doubt if any future ones can be as good. I really dont care which way this goes, as I really have no future attendance plans at this time. I dont think cancelling or restricting shooting is a good thing though, and can only help to disenfranchise shooters who attend, to shoot.

There are forces from all sides at work. The last one was the original shoot all grown up. Once it passes through puberty, it will never be the same again.

Whatcha talkin about Willis?

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#31]
I think Cav's idea of putting the fire pit at the back and staging campers and vehicles as a sound barrier works wonders.  I had my tent setup in the back and it was nice.

Thus far......Bring an Air horn and move fire pit to the back are both great ideas.

For humor...move the portapotty near the firing line.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:35:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I did notice the range going cold being well called, but not so for range hot. This was done multiple times throughout the weekend and is not a good thing.  

That's was the big problem.  I would just like people to express LOUDLY that the range was going hot.

Orininall Posted By CavVet:

I agree that this shoot was awesome.  I would be very disappointed though if you decided not to go anymore.  It seems like they keep getting better with the little bit of organization that they have.  Like the institution of the tarp and all that.  Most of us don't want to be burdened by restrictions, but we have all said safety is the key component to these shoots going off well.  There is a thin line between fun and a major injury.

I personally only shoot when there are less that five people on the line because I hate being showered with someone elses brass.  I'm short so it tense to hit me in the head .  But I know that so that is a personal  thing, so I wait for the slow times and then I go shoot.

I think the point of this thread was that next time we need to pay more attention to CALLING the range HOT, because it wasn't being done every time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#33]
You are teh ghay.

Quoted:
I really think 14 hrs of straight shooting is rediculous.  I would like to see some organized competitions and structured shooting.  Hell I might even shoot then.

The unknown blasts and booms get annoying.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Park 1Nutgummers truck over the firepit, then use Tannerite on it.
Parking problem and music problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:43:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Yeah what OdT said, I come to the shoots to shoot, and shoot alot with alot of peaple socilization is a close second.   On the other hand some structure on the fireing line wouldn't be a bad thing, with called on and offs with no room left for doubt about when we're hot and when we're cold (read airhorn).  CaVvet, you are one of the most forceful personalities on the board and if you don't show up tho the shoots it just won't be the same who the hell am I going to trade all me shit to?    rearanging how the camp is set up with the "living area" more toward the back of the pit and move the fire ring to where we had set up the second firewood pile this time could be a good solution.  maybee with the vehicles between the "living area" and the fireing line to blunt the noise.  It would also make it easeyer for the ladies to get the ladies room when they are at less the full mental capacity..
I like the unstructured feel of these shoots now. I think it promotes a more firendly and laid-back atmosphere for all who attend.  kinda like a cross between a plinking fest with friends and a gunshow with a free test range.  I also agree that if these things get too structured with formal shooting times and areas where the handelling of firearms is permitted w/aranged comps and the like would ruin the feel of these shoots.   I can get that over here, by just going to a formal range and frankly I don't think I would attend a shoot with that kind of set-up IMHO it brings out the range nazi in everyone.
If people want to plan their own comps just for fun, then we already have the room and flexability to do that with the current set-up.  With a little tweaking of how the camp is set up I think we could make it more comfotable for those who attend LCRs to shoot second and socolize first.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I think guys that drive an hour + should shoot as much as you like, for some of us that is 90% of our shooting time. I do think that we could have a dedicated "cold Range" during lunch and dinner, maybe no shooting before 9am?

Once again these are ideas, or ramblings, if it get too structured it'll lose it's appeal.

I thought the official tannerite wake up time is 8am!  What the hell are Armed Pilot and myself going to do for a whole hour!?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I really think 14 hrs of straight shooting is rediculous.  I would like to see some organized competitions and structured shooting.  The unknown blasts and booms get annoying.

Very good point I could not agree more.

+1

+2

I dont think cancelling or restricting shooting is a good thing though, and can only help to disenfranchise shooters who attend, to shoot.

The first shoots there were large chunks of time the range would go cold. This last shoot there may have been a 1/2 an hour nobody was on the line during the day that I noticed. I did not see anyone bring a truck load of ammo to shoot the whole 14 hours of daylight. Please point out who we will be restricting.  Also, there is always the small pit about a mile up the road for those who want to shoot while the rest of us are taking a break and socializing. All I'm suggesting is to organize and signal the firing line. There is no need to have one or two guys shooting at all times. We can/could make 100 yard firing line, more tarps, more targets, spread out and shoot together, which I think would be more fun. I think 1GR's idea of some organized competitions would be fun.

Moving the fire-pit to the back is a good idea, I have suggested it in the past.

Folks that disagree, there needs to be compromise & common courtesy at these shoots also. Otherwise other good friends & people will start going away and /or have more hearing damage.  I think it's childish of anyone who can't have everything their way and/or be able to show others disrespect say that they are not going to come because of such. I was to the point of not attending anymore because some people disrespect the fact I need to protect my hearing the best I can. I'm somewhat surprised with the amount of support this subject has.

It is already not the same as our first shoot CavVet it's tippled in size. Remember a year and a half ago there may have been 20 maybe 30 people show.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Let's not miss the point here.  One of your buddies (with severe hearing loss) is asking for a warning when the range is going hot or that there is going to be a tannerite blast so he can protect what precious little hearing he has left.  

Quoted:

It doesn't sound like a lot to ask.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
 It would also make it easeyer for the ladies to get the ladies room when they are at less the full mental capacity..

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#42]
I doubt that anyone would have problems with using an air horn for range hot/cold signaling.
I know that I would not.

As far as structuring the range time, well, if someone wants to set up a military style target system behind the berm and let 1Nutgummer sit back there and run the targets up and down and call the hits I would be cool with that.

If you guys want to have an "actual" marksmanship contest with targets I am also cool with that.

If you want to call a cold range for an hour or two for lunch time I am also cool with that.

If you guys want to call an end to range ops at a certain time (like 7pm) for 1Nutgummers tea party then I am cool with that.

If I drive for 3+ hours to shoot I damn well am going to shoot.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:49:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Let's not miss the point here.  One of your buddies (with severe hearing loss) is asking for a warning when the range is going hot or that there is going to be a tannerite blast so he can protect what precious little hearing he has left.  

Quoted:

It doesn't sound like a lot to ask.

Whatever you want Cherry.  Just keep bringing that awesome dip and I'll  agree to almost anything you want.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#45]
1.  We were slacking on the announcement of "Range Hot".  Hearing aside, what about someone ducked down behind the berm...shouldn't they be allowed to hear it and/or say "HEY, I'm down here!" ?

2.  Moving the campfire to the back behind the vehicles sounds awesome...possibly still a bit away from the camping in order to protect THEM from some of the noise from the campfire.  Sounds like a fine idea to me!

3.  I shoot both for accuracy and I love to bump.  Sorry 1Gr, can't follow you on that one.  Love to bump.

4.  ok, I don't have a 4...but it sounds good to have an even number of points in a conversation/debate.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
1.  We were slacking on the announcement of "Range Hot".  Hearing aside, what about someone ducked down behind the berm...shouldn't they be allowed to hear it and/or say "HEY, I'm down here!" ?

2.  Moving the campfire to the back behind the vehicles sounds awesome...possibly still a bit away from the camping in order to protect THEM from some of the noise from the campfire.  Sounds like a fine idea to me!

3.  I shoot both for accuracy and I love to bump.  Sorry 1Gr, can't follow you on that one.  Love to bump.

4.  I am Han Solo!!

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:27:02 PM EDT
[#47]
My good ear is still ringing, my bad one always does. I was caught, like alot of others with my pants down no hearing protection. Having a cold range would be cool for chow, I couldn't tell if my grill was going because it was to bright out and too loud. I have a canister air horn I can bring, I'm not sure how much is left in the can and how long it will last, but I can pick up another can for it.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#48]
I may have mixed my apples with my oranges, or presented it so it seemed that way. My future plans, or lack thereof, have nothing whatsoever to do with anything contained in this thread.

I think the airhorn is a good great idea, for starts and stops.

As for some breaks, I really dont care. I am with Hippy, I shoot when there are few up there. Whether I am bumping, or aimed firing, I dont want to pelt someone or get pelted with brass. The long day (and night) makes it where nobody has to be on the firing line with 20 others.

As for Coyotes hearing, I will willingly do whatever it takes for him not to have this problem, or do whatever it takes so he can enjoy himself. But I dont agree that 14 hours a day of shooting is rediculous, I think thats a part of what makes the shoots such a draw.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think guys that drive an hour + should shoot as much as you like, for some of us that is 90% of our shooting time. I do think that we could have a dedicated "cold Range" during lunch and dinner, maybe no shooting before 9am?

Once again these are ideas, or ramblings, if it get too structured it'll lose it's appeal.

I thought the official tannerite wake up time is 8am!  What the hell are Armed Pilot and myself going to do for a whole hour!?

+1
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top