Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2003 5:51:20 PM EDT
Moving to Seattle area in January.

Need to find an apartment or rentable house for 2 occupants.  Don't have ritzy needs, just don't want to live in a crack house or in the hood.

What can I expect to pay in rent (range)?
What are certain areas to avoid at all costs?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Where are you going to be working at?  (traffic sucks this is important!)

Do you want to live within the city limits?

What features of a neighborhood are important to you? (mine has 20+ bars in it, a movie theatre grocery, bowling alley etc)

What's your rental budget?

PS bring your rain coat too, we had rain, snow, and a hailstorm today.

PSS how many guns are you bringing with you?  
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:01:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Moving to Seattle area in January.

Need to find an apartment or rentable house for 2 occupants.  Don't have ritzy needs, just don't want to live in a crack house or in the hood.

Thanks!

Well there's always the Love Commune up North if they haven't sold it off yet. /sarcasm

You need to set your parameters better.  Where are you working, $ range you'll be making, whether you need a helo pad to land your commuting vehicle?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree with the above.  Traffic really sucks here and it is real beneficial to live as close as you can to work.  I myself drive over an hour to to work and I live only about 35 mile away.  It's worth the drive for me though because I would hate to live in town.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:44:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Hope you have a job lined up .....they are not the easiest things to find around here.....

t
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hope you have a job lined up .....they are not the easiest things to find around here.....

t

He can have mine.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

t

He can have mine.

Hey hey hey!  I might be needing that job.  (errrrrrrr what is it anyway)  and I've got senority here!
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He can have mine.

Hey hey hey!  I might be needing that job.  (errrrrrrr what is it anyway)  and I've got senority here!

Let's just say he gets to squeeze  lot of mellons at his job!
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:23:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

t

He can have mine.

Mop boy at the adult movie shop
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:37:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

t

He can have mine.

I'd bring some technology into that job and get a power washer and leaf blower.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#10]
How bout this place?

I'm working at a golf course somewhat nearby.  GF attending UW.

65.39.222.42/Classifieds/propview.php?view=280

Ghetto?
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How bout this place?

Ghetto?

Price looks alright, I have seen worse looking buildings. Do what you have to for the first year, and worry about getting better during the first year.  If you want to move into Snohomish Co. let me know, I can tell you anything you want to know about the apt's in the area.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How bout this place?

Ghetto?

That's not a Ghetto area but it is an area that is crammed full past overflowing with apartments and the blocks that apartment is in are very full.  

It's not the ghetto you could do much worse and honestly the price is not bad, but thats the studio apartment price.  

Ask them what type of heat the apartment has, electric baseboards are very popular here and they make for some very high electric bills. (two month billing cycle and when I say high I'm talking $150+ bills!)

The bus commute to UW from there wouldn't be bad at all it's all surface streets.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Another thing to consider is just staying at an extended stay hotel until you can check out different areas. They are a little expensive, but at least you don't get tied down by a lease. You could stay in one of those for at least a couple weeks to have time to look around. I don't know what kind of area you are from, but I haven't found too many neighborhoods in the Seattle area that make me uncomfortable or afraid.

Definitely look into the utilities and find out what is paid for or not. Some of the apartments around here were actually switching over to tenant paid water.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How bout this place?

Ghetto?

Price looks alright, I have seen worse looking buildings. Do what you have to for the first year, and worry about getting better during the first year.  If you want to move into Snohomish Co. let me know, I can tell you anything you want to know about the apt's in the area.

He breaks into apartments for a living.  All he will tell you is to make sure you have a first floor apt, stack all you valuables near the slider and leave it unlocked to make his job easier.  Burglars are lazy around here.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

t

He can have mine.

Actually I'm the guy who oils up the dancers at ricks right after they do their meth and right before they hit the stage.  

I'm not sure if they are jumpy because I oil 'em up so well or if it's the drugs.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Actually I'm the guy who oils up the dancers at ricks right after they do their meth and right before they hit the stage.  

I'm not sure if they are jumpy because I oil 'em up so well or if it's the drugs.

Bringing technology to the job will require a simple pump garden sprayer.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:50:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

t

He can have mine.

You ever stop to think (never mind...dumb question.) That maybe you r hairy palms are just to cold?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#18]
It's no wonder there aren't many people that show up at local events. The guy asked about the area, not your dream jobs. Let's try to keep this on topic?

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Allow me to put it back on topic.

Quoted:

The on elisted above, 105 & Greenwood is one of a million pockets of Apartments. While I am sure it has issues like all areas having a million people per small area, its not known for eing drug infested. There is a Senior Complex (and they get out and walk) in the  middle of the area, and I know someone in that area. I know of no problems.

Dont forget, we have CCW, our crimes are crimes against property, not people!

Thanks!

Rents vary. Try Rent.com or apartment.com

If you want an honest no bs neighborhood assessment, shoot me an email, I will tell ya. I know this city very well.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#20]
the best sites for finding reasonably priced housing are nwclassifieds.com and seattle.craigslist.org.  cavvet is right about rent.com (which i think got bought by apartment.com) as well.  it's just that the former ones have harder to find listings and the rent is generally 10% cheaper cause they don't have to pay as much to list it.

stay away from rainier valley and some parts of first hill, but actually seattle doesn't have much of a 'ghetto'.  some bum actually apologized to me for getting too forward when asking for change.  i called him on it and he said he was sorry.  i almost cried, what a wuss city...  uh, except for us badass gun folk.  all the hippies are making us look bad.

edited to fix links

edited to add:  maybe i shouldn't have made that crack about hippies - just noticed your name was patchouli
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#21]
That Greenwood Apt looks like a pretty good score. Not too far from the UW, either. Close to Northgate Mall and centrally located between the Northern and Southern shooting areas.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 12:42:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
How bout this place?

Ghetto?

Looks good, my GF lives in Greenwood and she feels safe.  What ever you do though DO NOT LIVE IN THE U-DISTRICT!!  That place is a hole, there are random acts of violence that just don't make sense there.  At least in the ghetto in Seattle you can rationalize the danger, in the U district it is totally random and scary.  An aquaintance of mine was stabbed randomly just walking down a street.  Some guy jumps out of a car, runs up and knives him in the gut and jumps back in the car.  Doesn't take his money or anything.  I've heard of other similar stuff.  

But greenwood is fine.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:08:08 AM EDT
[#23]

But greenwood is fine.

Gnerally yes, and the further you stay off of Aurora (99) the better.

Whats the name of that killer Burrito place in Greenwood Gorditos?, good food man!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top