Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/30/2005 3:12:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/30/2005 3:23:30 PM EDT by TraumaLevel1]
Moving to Stony Brook Univ. for work & wondering what gun laws are?

Moving from NJ to Stony Brook NY
What are the gun laws regarding "assult rifles" (AR15s), shotguns and pistols.
I have a postban AR, SA M1A, mossberg 590 and Sig226
Whats legal and whats not?
Do I need a permit?
Whats the laws about high cap mags?

I just got familiar with NJ laws and now I have to understand NY laws

TL1
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 4:28:25 PM EDT
For now, your long guns have to follow the same laws as the now defunct Federal ban since NYS mirrored the law. Long guns made after sept 13 1994 must be ban compliant. Pre ban mags are good to go. Your NJ legal 15 rounders (the 10 rounders converted to 15 rounders) are a "no-no" since they were made after 1994. They may not hold more than 10 rounds.

You will need a permit for your pistol. No paper needed for the long guns (for now). You may want to keep your pistol in NJ until you get a permit otherwise you'll need to voucher it for safe keeping with the Police or an FFL.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 4:31:49 PM EDT
Well if your from NJ you will have a little more freedom.

Like said above just follow the old Federal Ban.

Lot easier to get your pistol permit then if you were moving to NYC and StoneyBrook is not to far from Calverton to go and shoot. I do not know what Indoor ranges if any are near you.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 5:14:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/30/2005 5:14:37 PM EDT by Beltfed]
Indoor shooting ranges somewhat in the area (no more than a 20-25 minute drive give or take ).

Tee Dee Rifle Pistol Club
Long Island Shooting Center
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 5:35:37 PM EDT
Hi TraumaLevel1,

I live about 5 mins from SUNY Stony Brook in Setauket. By you screen name I guess you are going to work in the hospital since it is a level 1 trauma center. I have a lot of friends who are docs there or faculty. They have really fixed the school up since the new president came in a couple of years ago.

If you have any questions about the area. Good pizza, gun shops, etc IM or email me be happy to help you out. If you have kids the 3 Village school district is great. Check out 3 Villages local newspaper site has good basic info. Things are a little lefty around here though. The summers are great with the beachs right here.

Seems like the guys have covered the gun questions already. If they haven't ask rkbar13. He is the man on NY gun law questions.

Good Luck on the move,
JT
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 6:53:39 AM EDT
Yes, I'll be working at the hospital.
If you get shot, stabbed or are in a bad car accident I'll most likely there.

I guess I can bring my SA M1A, mossberg and AR (Post ban config)
As for my Sig226R I'll leave that in NJ

I have pre 94 dated AR 30rd mags and can bring those for my AR.
How would I know if my M1A mags are pre-ban?

Justy to make sure is this Post Ban SA M1A legal?
I have added a Vortex FS

Link Posted: 12/1/2005 9:49:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 10:05:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/1/2005 10:06:17 AM EDT by TraumaLevel1]

Originally Posted By Wave:

Originally Posted By TraumaLevel1:
Yes, I'll be working at the hospital.
If you get shot, stabbed or are in a bad car accident I'll most likely there.

So we'll move up to the front of the line when we walk into the ER huh? I'm very close by as well. Look forward to meeting you.

ARFCOM Member discount

Hopefully, I won't meet you in the ER because if I do you will probably be in bad shape, but I would look forward to meeting you at the range.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 11:04:59 AM EDT
TraumaLevel1 I copied this from the NY/NJ Hometown section regarding the SA M1A (nice rifle):

22. "Assault weapon" means (a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an
ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the
following characteristics:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of
the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a
flash suppressor;
(v) a grenade launcher.

I am by no means an expert but by the looks of the above wording of the law your M1A should be ok. I would ask rkbar13 to be sure.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 1:01:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/1/2005 1:05:29 PM EDT by rkbar15]
As JohnLINY said "your M1A should be ok". You are limited to one "banned" feature on a postban rifle which in your case would be the flash suppressor.

If you're going to be in NY for a few years you should go ahead and get your NYS Pistol License. It's only a $10 + $99 (fingerprint fee) to apply in Suffolk County. You'll have to follow the SCPD rules about "importing" your SIG into NYS though.

If I'm ever in LI and need a brain transplant try and avoid the one marked "Abby Normal".

Link Posted: 12/1/2005 1:09:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rkbar15:
As JohnLINY said "your M1A should be ok". You are limited to one "banned" feature on a postban rifle which in your case would be the flash suppressor.

If you're going to be in NY for a few years you should go ahead and get your NYS Pistol License. It's only a $10 + $99 (fingerprint fee) to apply in Suffolk County. You'll have to follow the SCPD rules about "importing" your SIG into NYS though.

If I'm ever in LI and need a brain transplant try and avoid the one marked "Abby Normal".

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadBioPic.asp?sAccountUnq=739

Thanks

Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:24:21 PM EDT
Be careful with transporting any weapons on the campus itself. I'll believe its illegal.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 8:59:35 PM EDT
long island shooting center is a great place to go for both target practice and selecting a rifle or handgun. they have a pretty nice selection there, if u go just ask for either ken or mike and say vinnie in the wheelchair recommended u they will know its me, i go their a few times a month they are great people and a great shooting range/gunshop. i live in port jefferson 5 mins from stoney brook university. how many other people here live in the stoney brook port jeff east setauket area. reason being is id like to know if their is any up comeing gun shows or firearm like tournaments that may be comeing up in either of those areas.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 1:51:06 PM EDT
St James here
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 4:58:01 PM EDT
Anyone know where I can get a small place to live
Its just for 1 year
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 6:07:01 PM EDT

Anyone know where I can get a small place to live
Its just for 1 year

TraumaLevel1 use that link in my above post for the Three Village Herald. Goto the classified section they have rentals listed everything from rooms to houses. Also, SUNY Stony Brook has a student affairs office that can help you get off campus housing. A one bedroom should run you about $1000 in Setauket or Stony Brook for a nice sized place. If you goto Port Jeff Station or St. James you could probably get something for less.

I don't know how old you are but Port Jefferson and Smithtown have good bars you may want to look close to those areas if that is impartant to you. Both towns are less than 10 minutes from SUNY SB.

If you have any questions let me know.

JT
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:16:34 AM EDT
OK I checked myAR Mags and I have 3 30rd Okay mags that are stamped with the 1991 date on it. I guess they would be fine, but I still don't know how Im going to prove that the M14 mags are pre 1994
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 11:08:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/4/2005 11:09:06 AM EDT by bear3351]
Be careful with those mags, you don't want to meet Balzac, (not that way) if you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 12:18:48 PM EDT

OK I checked myAR Mags and I have 3 30rd Okay mags that are stamped with the 1991 date on it. I guess they would be fine, but I still don't know how Im going to prove that the M14 mags are pre 1994

Check out Fulton Armory. They have a great page on M14 mags. I remember I saved the link when I was getting mags for my AR10. Basically if they are not date stamped post 94 you should be ok. One of the major manf.s was right here on Long Island.

Being a noob I don't know what the Balzac reference is?
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:08:20 PM EDT
By the way Welcome to NY and I am sure you will enjoy yourself at both Work and Play

I for get about Long Island Shooting. They do have a nice indoor range and lots of stuff. New owners and I am told doing a great job. Prices still a little high from what I hear.

Looking foward to meeting you. When you get settled maybe a couple of us from the forum could get together and meet for dinner to welcome you.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 4:28:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By edpmedic:
By the way Welcome to NY and I am sure you will enjoy yourself at both Work and Play

I for get about Long Island Shooting. They do have a nice indoor range and lots of stuff. New owners and I am told doing a great job. Prices still a little high from what I hear.

Looking foward to meeting you. When you get settled maybe a couple of us from the forum could get together and meet for dinner to welcome you.

Thanks for the info
the Fulton M14 mag page was helpful
I guess if there isnt a date stamped on it it would be considered preban (pre 1994)

Would love to go out shooting with you guys. I'm starting in July 2007, so I'll repost my arrival and hope to get to the range shortly after.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:47:12 PM EDT
JULY 2007! Good grief.. so we have a while.

IF.. in a year and a half you still come, let us know. There are a few (just a few) USB employees who aren't scared to death of mean ol' evil guns.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:29:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2005 12:30:26 PM EDT by TraumaLevel1]
My mistake its actually July 2006 not 2007 that I'll be there.

Up-date pic of my M14

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:54:47 PM EDT
Can't wait to go coyote hunting?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:27:36 PM EDT
that looks fun....that is a HUGE scope... can you see into the future with that ting?

and to go with taking weapons on school prop.. i think thats the only place you cant carry

carry/conceal permit restricted to places of higher education (colleges) and federal property.. post office and federal building..unless your on-duty LEO

could be wrong... im stil super new and super stupid to the gun laws.. im tippy-toeing around like checking everythign 4 times before i order or buy soemthing
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:39:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Shott8283:
that looks fun....that is a HUGE scope... can you see into the future with that ting?

and to go with taking weapons on school prop.. i think thats the only place you cant carry

carry/conceal permit restricted to places of higher education (colleges) and federal property.. post office and federal building..unless your on-duty LEO

could be wrong... im stil super new and super stupid to the gun laws.. im tippy-toeing around like checking everythign 4 times before i order or buy soemthing

Im looking for housing off campus anyway so the gun issure wont be a problem. It's mostlikely illegal to have any fire are on campus.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:17:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/20/2005 11:19:08 PM EDT by cas]
Yes.. the "Safe schools act" makes bringing a gun on any school grounds a no no.

A shame.. for years I shot in a hight school range.

Yes. USB has "no weapons" rules. A few years ago they hosted the Empire State games, and held the archery matches out on one of the soccer fields. The competitors weren't allowed to keep their bows in their possession when they weren't shooting at the matches. Campus police kept them locked up ever night.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:19:28 AM EDT
TraumaLevel1 is was in Station Pizza in Stony Brook last night and flipping through The Statesman newspaper (student run SUNY SB). They have listings for apts here. If you did find good housing on campus you could always store your 'toys' at a storage facility near by. There are at least 2 good ones within 5 mins of campus.

Nice M14 setup by the way.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:24:13 AM EDT
Generally all that's needed is to have permission by the school in order to possess a firearm on school property. There are schools/universities with rifle/pistol teams in NY.

www.suny.info/policies/groups/public/documents/sunyregulations/pub_suny_pp_029068.htm

State University of New York Board of Trustees

ARTICLE 4. FIREARMS, RIFLES, AIRGUNS AND SHOTGUNS

PART 590

FIREARMS, RIFLES, AIRGUNS AND SHOTGUNS

§ 590.3 General authorization and prohibitions.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this Part, a chief administrative officer may grant authorization for the possession of firearms, rifles, airguns or shotguns only if such possession is required or permitted for specifically authorized:

(1) educational programs;

(2) scientific research;

(3) skeet, trap, or other target shooting activities carrier on under the supervision of the university; or

(4) for the storage of sporting arms.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:25:25 PM EDT
You haven't said what you're coming here for, so living on campus could mean anything. On campus your choices are very limited. Dorms, undergrad apartments, and graduate apartments. Either way, NONE of those places would be a good choice in which to secure a weapon, even if it weren't against policy. Even if you have a large immovable safe (and you didn't throw up all sorts of red flags with it), there'd be no place to put it.

It does make me wonder how campus residences (and campus police) would handle that. "What's in the big (gun) safe?"

"None of your business."

Hmmm.... I could ask, just for the heck of it. A hypothetical situation/question. Although they look at me strangely enough without adding fuel to the fire.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:06:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cas:
You haven't said what you're coming here for, so living on campus could mean anything. On campus your choices are very limited. Dorms, undergrad apartments, and graduate apartments. Either way, NONE of those places would be a good choice in which to secure a weapon, even if it weren't against policy. Even if you have a large immovable safe (and you didn't throw up all sorts of red flags with it), there'd be no place to put it.

It does make me wonder how campus residences (and campus police) would handle that. "What's in the big (gun) safe?"

"None of your business."

Hmmm.... I could ask, just for the heck of it. A hypothetical situation/question. Although they look at me strangely enough without adding fuel to the fire.

as stated before not living on campus

but I do agree its a bad iedal to bring guns on campus

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:03:16 PM EDT
I know of a couple people who've been fired, due to firearms related issues. (mostly they did stupid stuff. Or at least did less than smart things around the wrong people)

USB Off Campus Housing Office
Top Top