Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2011 3:29:08 PM EDT
After over a decade in CT I'm moving to SW New Hampshire somewhere around Keene.  Can anyone from the area recommend some good places to shoot and some good local gunshops? Hell, if you can recommend a place to work for a college grad with sales background I'll hear it too.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't answer your questions because I'm on the Eastern side of the state but welcome.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I lived in Brattleboro, VT area for most of my life. The only bona fide gun shop in that area is Tri State Firearms. These guys have gone all out, and their gun prices reflect it! Still worth checking out––it's only 20+ min from Keene in Chesterfield Hinsdale. There is also the Alstead Gun Shop. I am sure there are places closer to Keene I don't know.

I meant Hinsdale.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out Cheshire County Fish & Game Club just outside of Keene off of Route 9 (heading towards Concord).

They have an open house for prospective members every Saturday morning IIRC.

There's a 200 yd rifle range (which gets expanded to 300 yds. for Hi Power competition). There's also a 100 yd rifle range, a pistol/rimfire range, shotgun sports setup, a club house, and more.

BTW (if you don't mind saying), what town(s) are you looking at moving to?

I have been to the Alstead shop - it's a bit of a drive from Keene, but it's worth it.

There's also Trader John a couple towns south of Keene on Rt. 10 - I've only been there once - they do have reloading supplies if you're into that.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I just took a ride around Maine and NH today and hit some gun shops.  We started at the Kittery Trading Post, then went over to Hooksett to Riley's (excellent selection with good prices), then on to Milford Firearms (small, limited selection, higher prices, extremely friendly owner), then down to State Line Gun Shop in Mason (selection ranges from cap and ball revolvers to NFA with VG prices).

From my experience, stay away from Trader John's.  The owner has always been less than helpful, but my last experience there pushed me over the edge.  I got a call from my friend who wanted to go gun shopping to buy either a .444 or .45-70 Marlin.  Trader John's was the first shop we stopped at.  

My friend had a stack of $100 bills in his pocket and was buying that day.  He saw a new Marlin 1895 on the shelf and asked to see it.  The owner said "Why?  You aren't going to buy anything today anyway."  He pulled the stack of hundreds out of his pocket, and the owner got suddenly friendly, but it was too late.  He thanked him for his time and said we were on our way to spend the money at Alstead.  He bought a new 1895 Marlin there, for sell money, too.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in the area and am a member at Cheshire County Fish and Game.  It's a good place to shoot most of the time and there are a lot of EBR owners there.  State Line Guns , Alstead Gun Shop , and just a little further north, Stoneagle Guns in Newport are some of my favorite shops in our corner of the state.  Send me an IM if you're interested and I'll take you shooting at CCF&G.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:07:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the help!  To answer an above question, I don't know exactly where I'll be living.  I'm following my lady up to Keene where she'll be working so I figure I will be within 10 miles or so when we do find a place.

I may just take you up on that offer for the Chesire County range!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:52:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm in the area, too.
I have nothing more to add to the above except to say that Tristate just built the new range up in Hinsdale.  (ETA: to me its "UP").  They do rentals and offer memberships.  Kind of pricey as observed already but it would be nice to have an indoor range in foul weather.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top