Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2007 2:04:34 AM EDT
Hey guys,

I'm moving from NYS to Las Vegas (probably Henderson). Can I bring my AR with me? Do I need some sort of a permit or license in order to transport it to a local range?

Also, it's hard as hell to get a Concealed Carry license (even for just a home-to-range transport) for handguns in my current county. What's the procedure about obtaining a handgun license in NV?

Sorry, I'm behind enemy lines and Senator Hitlery has us on the run here in NYS.

Thanks!!

And BTW, be prepared for more stupid questions from me about NV laws.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 5:12:34 AM EDT
[#1]
You can bring your AR to NV and buy as many more as you want. Nevada is for the time being still a free state.  No permits are needed for transport, just throw them in the trunk and go.  CCW permits aren't all that hard to get either.  Theres a member here whos screen name is Ishoottolive, he runs a training school thats well regarded.  Depending on where you live in Clark county you only need a registration card and all that means the pistol is in their system.  Compared to NY, Nevada's gun laws are pretty tame.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 5:18:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You can bring your AR to NV and buy as many more as you want. Nevada is for the time being still a free state.  No permits are needed for transport, just throw them in the trunk and go.  CCW permits aren't all that hard to get either.  Theres a member here whos screen name is Ishoottolive, he runs a training school thats well regarded.  Depending on where you live in Clark county you only need a registration card and all that means the pistol is in their system.  Compared to NY, Nevada's gun laws are pretty tame.

Thanks for the plug DFF,

I'd like to add something in the following post.

Be Safe, Bro.

Joe
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 5:21:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hey guys,

I'm moving from NYS to Las Vegas (probably Henderson). Can I bring my AR with me? Do I need some sort of a permit or license in order to transport it to a local range?

Also, it's hard as hell to get a Concealed Carry license (even for just a home-to-range transport) for handguns in my current county. What's the procedure about obtaining a handgun license in NV?

Sorry, I'm behind enemy lines and Senator Hitlery has us on the run here in NYS.

Thanks!!

And BTW, be prepared for more stupid questions from me about NV laws.

Hafellafuse,

Welcome to the Great State of Nevada!

I moved here to Las Vegas, from the COMMUNIST state of Jerk Jersey in ’76 (no offense to the hostages still being held captive there) and shortly after that I just had to call Nevada home (and I still do).

Nevada is my motherland and after all these years I consider myself a native. That might not sit well with others (because I wasn’t born here), but I love this state although I am getting fed up with Clark County (just ask around - we call it LA East). Even our brothers (and sisters) up in Northern Nevada are starting to experience what we are going through (not as bad though, but it is there and growing).

We used to have freedoms in this state that most only dreamt about. Unfortunately, with all the illegal pukes, liberals, and tree huggers we are losing ground quicker than any of us could have ever have imagined (just look up the Burning Fag deal up North).

Oh, BTW: You can bring your guns here and possess them legally without "Back East" restrictions. If you legally own Class III weapons and accessories you must file the necessary paperwork before you leave your home state.

Handguns must be registered (in Clark County) with the Sheriff (just go to any Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Substation when you get settled) and you will be squared away. CCW's are easy to obtain, but not all training is the same.

Your AR rifle is good to go as we don’t have long arm registration in this great state (at least not yet). You can even drive around town with your AR on the front seat with a hot mag inserted (no round in the chamber for long arms, it’s a DOW/F&G thing). How cool is that?

If you have any questions about your gun rights please feel free to call me personally or ask your questions here on the NVHTF. We will all help.

Welcome once again.

Be Safe.

Joe
(702) 242-8288
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 7:47:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow guys,

Thanks. I really appreciate the quick response and help. Joe, I'll be getting in touch with you in the future.

I really cannot wait to get over there and start my life as a NV resident.

THANKS AGAIN!!

Mark
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 7:56:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Congrats - glad to have you.

I moved from Upstate NY 2 yrs ago and have never looked back.

All the advice given on this post is good to go. I have some to add.

*You should get a NV Drivers license ASAP. With one you can walk right in and purchase any handgun you want. Then buy one if you don’t have one -you should be armed in this town 24/7.

*You should not hit the gas when a light turns green in Vegas - take that small fraction of a second and look both ways. This town has sick bad/drunk/illegal drivers and to many folks die every day here.

*Off road is great here -get a 4x4, dirtbike and/or quad ASAP if you dont have one and get out and explore!

If you have any other questions we will try to answer them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome  I moved here from California almost 2 years ago, boy are you in for some pleasant suprises.  Get a blue card for any hand guns you already own (if you are moving to Clark Co) then you can walk out the door of the gun shop with a new handgun same day.  Tons of places in the desert to shoot or off road.  You may even run into some guys from this forum.  Good times.

The other guys covered the laws pretty well.

I changed my plates right away.  One thing that really struck me when we moved was how friendly most folks were.  People at the gym, super market, whatever.  My wife and I were blown away.  I'm sure there are a holes here of course, I just have not met many of them.

You will love it here, well except for this time of year, kinda hot.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#7]
In regards to handguns, you don't need a permit for anything except carrying one concealed on your person.

In Nevada it is legal to have a loaded pistol in your vehicle. Some cities in southern Nevada may have local restrictions on this.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#8]
In most of the rural counties it is not uncommon to see open carry of sidearms. Nevada is an open carry state.

On a side note I recommend you learn to pronounce "Nevada" correctly. The quickest way to show the locals you are not local is to use the "Easterners" pronunciation.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
In most of the rural counties it is not uncommon to see open carry of sidearms. Nevada is an open carry state.

On a side note I recommend you learn to pronounce "Nevada" correctly. The quickest way to show the locals you are not local is to use the "Easterners" pronunciation.

LOL. So how do I pronounce "Nevada"?

I also wanted to say how helpful you all have been. It is EXTREMELY appreciated. You have all been very welcoming. I can really see myself flourishing there. I look forward to hitting some ranges and doing some shooting with you all.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#10]

My textbook says (don't ask why I have a textbook on how to pronounce Nevada) it's nuh-VAD-ah.

Although I have heard people born and raised here pronounce it the "wrong" way.  I think it's like Carbine and Sake.

P.S. Why are you leaving NY?  I don't know much about the state, but I'm probably moving there soon.  People tell me it is a nice place.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Most North Easterners I've met pronounce it Nuh-vaah-duh. Pronounce the "A"s the same as you would pronounce them in Atlanta or as notstubby has shown. I work with a bunch of New Yorkers that love to mess with me and purposely mis pronounce Nevada. I in turn tell them they all sound like they are from Boston or Jersey
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

My textbook says (don't ask why I have a textbook on how to pronounce Nevada) it's nuh-VAD-ah.

Although I have heard people born and raised here pronounce it the "wrong" way.  I think it's like Carbine and Sake.

P.S. Why are you leaving NY?  I don't know much about the state, but I'm probably moving there soon.  People tell me it is a nice place.

Your moving to NY? Where + Why?
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I also wanted to say how helpful you all have been. It is EXTREMELY appreciated. You have all been very welcoming. I can really see myself flourishing there. I look forward to hitting some ranges and doing some shooting with you all.

The word is Spanish, so pronounce it correctly in Spanish, the replace the Ba with a Va.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 8:55:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The word is Spanish, so pronounce it correctly in Spanish, the replace the Ba with a Va.

Huh?
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#15]
According to Merriam-Webster Online  Nevada is properly prounced the way that we here in the state pronounce it.

They give the other pronunciation (the one we all hate) and list that one as pronounced "chiefly by outsiders."

So, if you don't want to be considered an outsider, be sure to pronounce Nevada correctly.

Link Posted: 9/3/2007 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Nuh(like DUH) Vad(Like Bad)Uh(like UH).

Glad to have you coming, I'll take appreciative New Yorkers over tree hugging Burning Man wienies any day.

I hear New Yorkers traditionally have a bad attitude because the light at the end of the tunnel is new Jersey. Fuggedaboudit...
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Nuh(like DUH) Vad(Like Bad)Uh(like UH).

I hear New Yorkers traditionally have a bad attitude because the light at the end of the tunnel is new Jersey. Fuggedaboudit...

HAhahaaaa!! That is the funniest thing I have ever heard...ALSO TRUE!!

Now I get it! Nuh-Vad-Uh. Perfect explanation!
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 6:00:43 AM EDT
[#18]
height=8
Quoted:

hoot

Hey, and since I am "new" to Nevada also (raised in churchill county but gone for about ten years) I have a couple of questions too.  

Regarding the post saying it is legal to carry a loaded pistol in your car, are there any stipulations...like it has to be out in the open? could it be in the glove box?  

Anyone know if NDOW has any restrictions on using a suppressor while hunting?

Schizrade thanks again for the good laugh!    
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 6:35:07 AM EDT
[#19]
what the hell is with this Nuh Vaa Duh shit anyway? who the fuck dreamed up that!

I live in Ne va da and proud of it

ps. welcome aboard,have a safe journey here and get to know the Vegas crew I hear there top notch folks
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DAMN IT!!!  You just made me shoot coffee out my nose!  

Hey, and since I am "new" to Nevada also (raised in churchill county but gone for about ten years) I have a couple of questions too.  

Regarding the post saying it is legal to carry a loaded pistol in your car, are there any stipulations...like it has to be out in the open? could it be in the glove box?  

Anyone know if NDOW has any restrictions on using a suppressor while hunting?

Schizrade thanks again for the good laugh!    

No problem...

You can carry a pistol in car loaded as long as it is in the open. Apparently, your glove box and under your seat do not constitute concealed, which only applies to on your body or concealed loaded in bags. I just keep it in the drivers side door or in the center console cup holder. If you have a CCW permit, it does not matter, carry however you like.

No chambered rifles/shotguns.

I know nothing about hunting with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#21]
What are the laws concerning purchasing suppressors or fully auto subs like MP5s?

AND...what (big game) do you hunt in Nevada? I was planning on coming back East for hunting season. When is the Nevada hunting season?
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Try this link:

www.biggamehunt.net/sections/Nevada/

or Google Hunting In Nevada.
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 12:14:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
What are the laws concerning purchasing suppressors or fully auto subs like MP5s?

AND...what (big game) do you hunt in Nevada? I was planning on coming back East for hunting season. When is the Nevada hunting season?

I know there is a lot of Elk hunting. A friend of mine finally got a Bull tag for somewhere out north east in the state and landed a monster. The pics of the thing were pretty damned impressive. 300win Mag.... didn't do the trick at 300 yards. lol. He hit it and it took off, found it the next day, no go for food, but one hell of a trophy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I know nothing about hunting with a suppressor.

We do. Hunt with suppressors I mean.

OF COURSE THE PHOTOS OF US WITH THE SUPPRESSOR ARE ON GRYPHONX'S CAMERA.

WAY TO RUIN MY POST, CHRIS! YOU FUCKER! >____<
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Man are you for some culture shock.....bring any damn thing you want...this is the wild west when it comes to guns

LT
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
...One thing that really struck me when we moved was how friendly most folks were.  People at the gym, super market, whatever.  My wife and I were blown away.  I'm sure there are a holes here of course, I just have not met many of them....

That's funny....coming from the southeast I tend to think most of the people I've met here are assholes (present company excluded).....I guess its all perspective.
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I did this:

so now I can't

and the stifling heat and dryness of NV do not help the

I used to

to

and also

But now, I think I will move to

so I can ride the

and get a

^^ "Job," not "underaged Australian girl." =D
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did this:
img126.imageshack.us/img126/1977/fuckedmodhx9.gif

so now I can't

img462.imageshack.us/img462/6796/drivefk8.jpg

and the stifling heat and dryness of NV do not help the

img230.imageshack.us/img230/2163/painsh0.gif

I used to

img292.imageshack.us/img292/7210/cryya9.jpg

to

img230.imageshack.us/img230/2408/arfpn2.jpg

and also

img187.imageshack.us/img187/544/alcoholismmi0.jpg

But now, I think I will move to

img112.imageshack.us/img112/8162/nyceh9.gif

so I can ride the

img233.imageshack.us/img233/1614/subwayyb0.gif

and get a

img165.imageshack.us/img165/1860/maccasiq3.jpg

^^ "Job," not "underaged Australian girl." =D

I would make an effort to talk you out of leaving but after seeing that shit - Well you belong in that Rat Trap City -good luck, you will need it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 6:51:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
good luck, you will need it.

What's wrong with the City?  Well, aside from the whole cost of living thing, and the horrible gun environment, and the general rudeness of the residents, and the freezing cold?
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Meh if you like Vegas you'll like NYC
Link Posted: 9/5/2007 12:12:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Hey guys,

"If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere" wasn't just a line from a song. If you're a REAL New Yorker that's been through the shit, you'll make it through any environment. NYC is the Special Forces training of life...but you, yourself are the head trainer.

Remember that shit.
Link Posted: 9/5/2007 7:32:09 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Hey guys,

"If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere" wasn't just a line from a song. If you're a REAL New Yorker that's been through the shit, you'll make it through any environment. NYC is the Special Forces training of life...but you, yourself are the head trainer.

Remember that shit.

I am right there with you.

*Although I will say Vegas is a different beast. It is like LA: unforgiving on the street. It is a lot more dangerous than NYC, and I say that from experience.
Link Posted: 9/5/2007 9:34:09 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...One thing that really struck me when we moved was how friendly most folks were.  People at the gym, super market, whatever.  My wife and I were blown away.  I'm sure there are a holes here of course, I just have not met many of them....

That's funny....coming from the southeast I tend to think most of the people I've met here are assholes (present company excluded).....I guess its all perspective.
Your just being sized up
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm currently living in Portland, OR and want to move to Las Vegas.  At least on a seasonal basis.

MY plan is to buy a condo and become a resident by getting a drivers license, home owner, etc.

I have a bunch of EBR's and want to keep my Portland home, so I'll be one of the "Snowbirds" so to speak.  I know I can get permission from ATF to take my Title II stuff with me for up to a year I believe.

Any possible problems you can think of,  I love shooting, dirt biking, gambling, and visiting So. CA where I grew up.  I spent 50 years in San Diego where I lived before moving to Portland 2 years ago.

I am considering this relocation for the above activities, but also to take advantage of the 0% state income tax.  My retirement will become taxable in about 2 years, and Oregon is one of the higher tax states I'd consider living in.  I will have no income except from investments, so I don't expect to have any problems with OR regarding my income if I move my account to a NV branch of my broker.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'm currently living in Portland, OR and want to move to Las Vegas.  At least on a seasonal basis.

MY plan is to buy a condo and become a resident by getting a drivers license, home owner, etc.

I have a bunch of EBR's and want to keep my Portland home, so I'll be one of the "Snowbirds" so to speak.  I know I can get permission from ATF to take my Title II stuff with me for up to a year I believe.

Any possible problems you can think of,  I love shooting, dirt biking, gambling, and visiting So. CA where I grew up.  I spent 50 years in San Diego where I lived before moving to Portland 2 years ago.

I am considering this relocation for the above activities, but also to take advantage of the 0% state income tax.  My retirement will become taxable in about 2 years, and Oregon is one of the higher tax states I'd consider living in.  I will have no income except from investments, so I don't expect to have any problems with OR regarding my income if I move my account to a NV branch of my broker.
The only issue I see is that your driver's license will have to be Nevada... NV DMV won't let you have a second DL in another state
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't think Oregon will allow me to keep the OR lic. either.  

I realize it's more expensive to register vehicles in NV, but the plus side is I won't be paying 9% state income tax on my investments whether I acually spend the money or reinvest it.

I was looking at the laws for CCW also.  Do you have to actually shoot or qualify with the handguns listed on your CHL, or can you just put down the ones you'd like to carry?  I used to have a lic. in CA, and they actually made you shoot one of the guns to qualify, then listed up to 3 by make model & serial number on the permit itself.  Also, can you get a CCW lic. in another county as a shortcut, or is that a no no if you live in Clark Co.?
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I don't think Oregon will allow me to keep the OR lic. either.  

I realize it's more expensive to register vehicles in NV, but the plus side is I won't be paying 9% state income tax on my investments whether I acually spend the money or reinvest it.

I was looking at the laws for CCW also.  Do you have to actually shoot or qualify with the handguns listed on your CHL, or can you just put down the ones you'd like to carry?  I used to have a lic. in CA, and they actually made you shoot one of the guns to qualify, then listed up to 3 by make model & serial number on the permit itself.  Also, can you get a CCW lic. in another county as a shortcut, or is that a no no if you live in Clark Co.?

You have to shoot your guns here, you have to qualify on make, model, caliber (there's an exception for revolvers in the legal tubes, I don't know if it's still swirling or if it's yet made it out). I'm surprised that the CA permit doesn't require you to qualify on everything on your permit.

You'll have to get your permit in your county of primary residence and your address must be kept current with the local constabulary (Sheriff's Office)

We have infinite handguns allowed on our permits, you just have to qualify with them. You're allowed up to four on the permit free-of-charge, after which point, I believe it is $15 plus range fees to add another to your permit.

One of these days, now that I'm living in Washoe (I lived in Douglas when I first got my permit), I'll knuckle under and get a proper Washoe permit that looks like real identification instead of the lame photocopied-on-neon-green-cardstock Douglas permits.

I hear tale that the Clark permits look like actual government-issued identification!
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Hey guys,

Remember that shit.

This is so true! I was born and raised in brooklyn and moved to LV for 8 years, and then back to NYC for 1 year before heading back to LV currently.
LV living is so simple compared to NYC. There is definately a laid back attitude in the air here.

For the guy moving to the city, if its manhattan... you will love it. There is no place like it in the world. I would drop everything if I could afford to live there!
BTW that is the only borough worth visiting!

One other thing for recently removed NYer's, does it seem like there are a lot of Florida plates running around here, just like NYC.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm sorry I wasn't very clear about the permit thing.  I have lived in Oregon for the past two years and had my permit there the whole time.  My CA permit was years ago.  Up here, there is no qual. required and it is not firearm specific.  You take a class for about 3 hours, pics & prints, $65 and six weeks later, it's in your mailbox.  I wonder if they'll waive any part of the procedure to those who currently hold a valid permit in another state?  Probably not, from how much more they seem to require.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 1:56:45 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

You have to shoot your guns here, you have to qualify on make, model, caliber (there's an exception for revolvers in the legal tubes, I don't know if it's still swirling or if it's yet made it out). I'm surprised that the CA permit doesn't require you to qualify on everything on your permit.

You'll have to get your permit in your county of primary residence and your address must be kept current with the local constabulary (Sheriff's Office)

We have infinite handguns allowed on our permits, you just have to qualify with them. You're allowed up to four on the permit free-of-charge, after which point, I believe it is $15 plus range fees to add another to your permit.

One of these days, now that I'm living in Washoe (I lived in Douglas when I first got my permit), I'll knuckle under and get a proper Washoe permit that looks like real identification instead of the lame photocopied-on-neon-green-cardstock Douglas permits.

I hear tale that the Clark permits look like actual government-issued identification!

Steve,

In Clark County the LVMPD will list up to 12 guns on a single permit. For example: If you have 13 guns you will have two permits - one permit reflecting 12 and the second reflecting one (and so on, and so on).

Also, the fee for adding guns on a permit (whether it is one or more) is $25.00 per visit to the CCW Detail.

Hope this helps.

Joe
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Aw snap, either that's county-specific, or things have changed in the last year.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#42]
County-specific.

Here in Lyon County (part of FREE Nevada) it is $10 to add guns to your existing CCW.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#43]
So I got my Nevada Diver's License...I can go into a shop and pick up a handgun now without any kind of permit?

I also wanted to thank Bob for the help with finding a place to live. He was a REALLY GREAT guy and incredibly helpful.

Also, thanks everyone for all the help.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
So I got my Nevada Diver's License...I can go into a shop and pick up a handgun now without any kind of permit?

I also wanted to thank Bob for the help with finding a place to live. He was a REALLY GREAT guy and incredibly helpful.

Also, thanks everyone for all the help.

Yes get buying
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top