Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2007 12:56:57 AM EDT
I will be moving to Minnesota in a few months and would like to purchase my first firearm.  

I used to go shooting when I was  MUCH younger, and I went to the range a couple of times over Christmas break with a friend.  Now I've got the itch to pick up a handgun of my own, but I'd like to try a few more out before I buy.  Does anyone know of any places with a good rental selection near the Twin Cities?  Also, can you guys recommend a place to take a gun safety course?

And what exactly does one need to do to purchase a handgun in Minnesota?  Are there any local restrictions (I'm most likely going to be living in Minneapolis proper)?

Finally, supposing *hypothetically* one eventually wanted to purchase an AR, but had no real experience with them, how would one go about learning how to shoot/clean/maintain/decide which kind to buy, etc.?  I'm assuming there's no real place where you can rent various models, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:59:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Billsgs.com in the north metro has an indoor range where they rent firearms.

I beleive you need to live in one location for 30 days and set up your residences before you can apply for your "permit to purchase a pistol".  Once that is acquired you are pretty much free to purchase whatever you like.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:02:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I will be moving to Minnesota in a few months and would like to purchase my first firearm.

Welcome and congrats

I used to go shooting when I was  MUCH younger, and I went to the range a couple of times over Christmas break with a friend.  Now I've got the itch to pick up a handgun of my own, but I'd like to try a few more out before I buy.  Does anyone know of any places with a good rental selection near the Twin Cities?  Also, can you guys recommend a place to take a gun safety course?

Bills in Robbinsdale and Bills North in Circle Pines rent a pretty good selection of handguns for a few bucks.  

As far as gun safety, they have courses for that too.  There are also many other venues for that.  Ask around at the range and at gun stores to see if there are others.

And what exactly does one need to do to purchase a handgun in Minnesota?  Are there any local restrictions (I'm most likely going to be living in Minneapolis proper)?

No extra restrictions in Minneapolis.  To purchase a handgun, you must have either a "permit to acquire" or a carry permit.  The permit to acquire is free, you go to the police station, fill out a form, they run a background check and you get a card signed by the police chief which is good for 12 months, buy as many handguns as you want with it.  You will still need to fill out a 4473 and they run an NICS check when you purchase.  Permit to carry is the same way except it costs roughly 150 for class session, 100 for the sherriff, and lasts for 5 years.  

Finally, supposing *hypothetically* one eventually wanted to purchase an AR, but had no real experience with them, how would one go about learning how to shoot/clean/maintain/decide which kind to buy, etc.?  I'm assuming there's no real place where you can rent various models, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Bills rents a couple different ones I believe.  Best way to learn is to read plenty here, this board has LOTS of resources.  Our hometown has lots of shoots, most people there are happy to let you put a few rounds through their various ARs.  Quite a few shops locally sell ARs, the requirement to buy one of those is the same as buying a pistol.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:31:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Minneapolis has its own assault weapons ban! (Keep in mind since you mentioned an AR) Check Minneapolis Ordinance 393.85. Looks like guns already in possession must be "registered" but generally one cannot purchase/possess new ones.

Here's a link:

www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=11490

Run a search on 393.85

Did anyone tell the strokes that they've got an ordinance against this sort of thing?

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:34:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Welcome to Minneapolis, BAFF.  I live in the city and don't have any issue with cops breaking down my door demanding my registration card.  Seems sometimes around here the only people worried about "the big city" are the ones who don't live here.

I've lived here since 1995 and I love it.

That's it nielsen!  Hand over those AR's.  I'll be happy to move them out of Minneapolis proper for you and "store" them  (Better make sure you give me your .223 ammo too, since that's probably banned as well).

As far as CCW, the city cannot pass ordinances that override the state laws on the issue per hometown charter rules.  

Not sure if this "assault weapons ban" is included in that.  

Minneapolis city council likes to think of itself as a San Fransisco big city government, along with all the corruption, etc.  I would ignore anything that restricted my rights cheerfully and let those liberal wienies wet themselves thinking about be and my "assault weapons".
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:57:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#6]
It was my understanding that a pre-emption law (which I think MN has) prevents any municipality or other local government from passing a law that would limit gun rights further than state law. CCW or assault weapons.

MPLS is a nice city compared to many in this country and I don't fear the criminals in it too much but all the damn Liberals scare the hell out of me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It was my understanding that a pre-emption law (which I think MN has) prevents any municipality or other local government from passing a law that would limit gun rights further than state law. CCW or assault weapons.

MPLS is a nice city compared to many in this country and I don't fear the criminals in it too much but all the damn Liberals scare the hell out of me.

I couldn't agree more.  FYI, they are a lot less scary with Fox OC in their eyes.  Plus, most of them are not armed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the great replies guys!  

I look forward to checking out this Bills place.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#9]
HI. AND WELCOME. I JUST BOUGHT A BRAND SPANKIN NEW DPMS BULL 24 AND IT IS LIKE BUYING ANY OTHER LONG GUN IN THIS STATE. THEY RAN A NICS CHECK. AND GLADLY ACCEPTED MY $1300.I HOPE THOSE TWINKLE TITS IN CALIFORNIA AR'NT CONTAGIOUS.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#10]
height=8
I HOPE THOSE TWINKLE TITS IN CALIFORNIA AR'NT CONTAGIOUS.he
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top