Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2013 10:24:49 AM EDT
I plan on moving back to NE within the year either to Maine or more likely NH. I had planned to drive a UHaul myself with all my worldly possessions. Before everything went insane I was of the understanding that I could travel through NY or MA with items unloaded, ammo and arms separate and packed in the back of the truck and as long as I traveled straight through I would be good to go. FOPA (Firearms Owners' Protection Act of 1986) is supposed to allow the safe passage of non- residents travelling through a state with banned items so long as those items are legal in both the originating state and destination state. Now, I'm concerned with the new bans if FOPA will be honored anymore. Anyone with knowledge on the issue please chime in. I wish to avoid transfer via FFL due to expense and hassle.  Short of travelling by boat how can I manage a legal move?
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Individual officers may not be familiar with the rules and regulations. FOPA has been disregarded under current AWBs in MA, CT and NY, I would assume a good lawyers business card would be a good thing to have. Generally, as long as you only make essential stops for gas/food, you will be fine. I'd go with ammo in a locked container separate from a locked case. Cable/trigger locks on everything, disassembled if possible. Honestly, you can't possibly be driving through for that long, Freedom (NH border) isn't too far.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#2]
what I did when I moved from Pa to here is locked them all in the back of a Uhaul, disassembled, and stopped at the Pa/NY border and tried my damndest not to stop in any of those god-forsaken states.

and when I say disassembled, I mean field stripped and hidden deep and spread throughout the truck.  If those fuckers want them, I might not be able to stop them but I will make them work for it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#3]

I say "Kiss my butt". I drove a U-haul from Maine to Washington and then rode a ferry to Alaska. I had many rifles, shotguns, and handguns. I had NFA items on a 5320.20 that were forbidden in NY, IL, MA, WA, and others. I loaded them in my safe and put them in the front of the truck out of sight. I stayed in New York overnight with evil stuff. I was legal with my 5320.20 form, but did not want to push it. My U-haul was stuffed to the roof. I didn't speed or shoot out the window at Liberals. I went 4800mi with no issues. Use your head, and be safe. I was legal to travel per BATFE regulations, but any state would have been a problem with my cans and SBR. Don't draw attention to yourself and keep your stuff locked up and not in sight. Be within the law, but any Barney Fife  may not understand you are GTG. I moved legal, but very quiet. Under the radar was good.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#4]
When I moved from CO to NH I picked a route that spent as much time as possible in PA.  I stayed the night in PA and then the next day drove to NH.  I was in NH by lunch time.  As usual I followed the FOPA rules and drove carefully.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#5]
don't speed, abide the law, turn in your black rifles, high capacity magazines above 7, background check, then you can pass through NY/MA

In all seriousness, if you do travel through MA, you should be GTG if you don't stop even for gas, so long as ur moving u should be ok, afaik, I'm not a lawyer, I would suggest calling the State Police or any local PD in MA to confirm this, ask to speak to a Det., I was in the same situation somewhat a few months ago where i wanted to transport firearms to MA to shoot with a friend in MA at a shooting range, a Det. told me its ok so long as the firearm/ammo is separated, locked, while under transfer. There is a grey area when dealing with MA in regards to this. Tread lightly.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:18:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Drive though VT. Problem solved. Come to NH, just leave all you thoughts of Lib BS at the border or we'll send you back.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:15:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Drive though VT. Problem solved. Come to NH, just leave all you thoughts of Lib BS at the border or we'll send you back.

I'm coming from Florida. The only way I see to reach NH, short of Canada or a boat, is to travel through MA or NY.

Thanks for the responses. I am going to proceed as planned. Chances are all will be well. I will just be happy to get to my destination.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm coming from Florida. The only way I see to reach NH, short of Canada or a boat, is to travel through MA or NY.

Thanks for the responses. I am going to proceed as planned. Chances are all will be well. I will just be happy to get to my destination.

Just stay in compliance with FOPA and don't attract any attention. Stop at stop signs, no speeding, etc. Welcome to NH.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:45:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Individual officers may not be familiar with the rules and regulations. FOPA has been disregarded under current AWBs in MA, CT and NY, I would assume a good lawyers business card would be a good thing to have. Generally, as long as you only make essential stops for gas/food, you will be fine. I'd go with ammo in a locked container separate from a locked case. Cable/trigger locks on everything, disassembled if possible. Honestly, you can't possibly be driving through for that long, Freedom (NH border) isn't too far.

When has FOPA been disregarded in or by CT?

Do you have evidence, such as a new article or court case?

I cannot seem to recall this ever happening in CT.

OP... Ship your magazines to your new location.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoops, some reason I thought you were coming from NY.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Another option is to mail/ship the items in question. Like mags, upper recievers etc. You can keep the guns mostly disassembled and such. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#12]
OP when you get to NE you'll feel 10lb lighter..... from gun control bullshit =] Welcome to NE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top