Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 8/12/2004 12:28:55 PM EDT
I grew up in Helena, but left right after I graduated high school.  Well, on Oct 1st, I will be moving back to Helena from Pensacola FL.  It's been 5 years since I've been in the state, and was wondering if any arfcomers here are Helena shooters ...

and where do you all shoot at?  When I lived there, I would just always visit a friends property out towards clancy, any actual ranges yall frequent?
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 12:40:45 AM EDT
[#1]
not sure about helena.  great falls has a nice new range just north of town on the havre highway.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Just moved here myself from Missouri...

Work & Live now in Billings, and am also looking to meet other arfcomers in MT...

So everybody - Roll Call - sound off...

Any Billings members - would like to know if you guys get together occasionally
for group shoots...

In Missouri we started shooting together, and our gatherings eventually developed in MODCC...
CMMG now hosts monthly Course Of Fire shoots, and let me tell you, it's great stress relief
to be out shooting with buddies...

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I am from Great Falls. The new range is a work in progress, should be pretty good when it is finished. Missouri River Shooters is working on a 300 yard range for a start with plans for a 25,100, 300 and 600 yard in the future. The shooting complex will have the Ed McGivern pistol club, Great Falls Skeet Club, Missoui Rivers Shooters and a black powder club. It will have a archery range, camping spots for meets and a pond to train your water dogs. The public portion of the range I think will have a 25, 100 and 200 range. Rigth now the MRS has a tempory range set up with a 25 and 100 yard.

This range has alot of differant organizations involved, hopefully they can work together. There is talk of a 1000 yard range sometime in the future. The NRA and the Montana FWP played a big part in getting this going and I hope it works out.

I am going to the range this weekend and will check out the progress.

If you need AR stuff Mitchell Supply is a good place to buy from. They are at the Helena shows and I think in Billings. Jim is the director of the MRS youth program, 4-H program and is very involved in shooting sports.I bougth a 20" Rock River and a Glock 30 last year and a RR stripped lower this year at the GF spring show. They are a RR, Armalite and Robinson dealer. Here is a link:

www.mitchellsupply.com/index.htm

If you get up to Great Falls shoot me an e-mail and we will go to the range and burn up some powder
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:36:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm from Billings. My Dad still lives in Laurel. I will probably retire from the army in the next couple of years and moved back to Montana.

I was an army recruiter in West Plains, MO from '92 to '95.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am from Great Falls. The new range is a work in progress, should be pretty good when it is finished. Missouri River Shooters is working on a 300 yard range for a start with plans for a 25,100, 300 and 600 yard in the future. The shooting complex will have the Ed McGivern pistol club, Great Falls Skeet Club, Missoui Rivers Shooters and a black powder club. It will have a archery range, camping spots for meets and a pond to train your water dogs. The public portion of the range I think will have a 25, 100 and 200 range. Rigth now the MRS has a tempory range set up with a 25 and 100 yard.

This range has alot of differant organizations involved, hopefully they can work together. There is talk of a 1000 yard range sometime in the future. The NRA and the Montana FWP played a big part in getting this going and I hope it works out.

If you need AR stuff Mitchell Supply is a good place to buy from. They are at the Helena shows and I think in Billings. Jim is the director of the MRS youth program, 4-H program and is very involved in shooting sports.I bougth a 20" Rock River and a Glock 30 last year and a RR stripped lower this year at the GF spring show. They are a RR, Armalite and Robinson dealer. Here is a link:

If you get up to Great Falls shoot me an e-mail and we will go to the range and burn up some powder

Thanks Chtmg for the tip...
Visited Mitchell supply - great prices (compared to Missouri), think I found me a local supplier I can do my share to boost the economy around here - Live here, shop here...

Keep us posted on the new range - when it's finished, and if you have a hankering to waste some lead let me know in advance and I drive up to shoot with you...

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#6]
kill9cowboy:  I'm not overly familiar with the Helena area.  I do know there is a Practical Shooters group up there.  I'm not sure if  they shoot IPSC, IDPA or tactical.  I'll check around and see if I can come up with some more information for you....

Quoted:
Just moved here myself from Missouri...

Work & Live now in Billings, and am also looking to meet other arfcomers in MT...

So everybody - Roll Call - sound off...

Any Billings members - would like to know if you guys get together occasionally
for group shoots...

In Missouri we started shooting together, and our gatherings eventually developed in MODCC...
CMMG now hosts monthly Course Of Fire shoots, and let me tell you, it's great stress relief
to be out shooting with buddies...

I'd be interested in a shoot in the Billings area.  How familiar with the area are you? I can throw you some ideas if you need em.

BTW- There's a Gun Show in Billings at the Metra Park Fairgrounds the weekend of the 17-19 as well as an IPSC shoot at the Billings Rod & Gun Club on the same Saturday. They usually have 30 or so shooters show up, not sure if many are fellow ARFcommers. I'm hoping there will be some Sunset Goodies on the tables at the Gun Show.  

Magic City Action Shooters

Billings Rod & Gun Club

Take care-

Sly
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'd be interested in a shoot in the Billings area.  How familiar with the area are you? I can throw you some ideas if you need em.

BTW- There's a Gun Show in Billings at the Metra Park Fairgrounds the weekend of the 17-19 as well as an IPSC shoot at the Billings Rod & Gun Club on the same Saturday. They usually have 30 or so shooters show up, not sure if many are fellow ARFcommers. I'm hoping there will be some Sunset Goodies on the tables at the Gun Show.  

Magic City Action Shooters

Billings Rod & Gun Club

Take care-

Sly

Not to familiar...   know some of the main roads, but have been basically working night & day since I moved here...

If you are going to the Gun Show - then lets meet and go together...
You could show me the ropes, and it'll be much more interesting having someone to talk to...
I live right around the corner from the Metra, so call me on my mobile 855-0555, and we can schedule a meeting point (trefpunt in German)...

Later...

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Kill9, look me up sometime, drop me an email.

I have land about 20 miles west of helena on highway 12, just off the highway by elliston. do you do any hunting? if so, i have access to about 10,000 acres that is loaded with elk and deer.

shoot me an email.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have land about 20 miles west of helena on highway 12, just off the highway by elliston. do you do any hunting? if so, i have access to about 10,000 acres that is loaded with elk and deer.

shoot me an email.

I'd be interested in hunting, and don't mind the drive - if that's an open invite...
Do you hunt with your AR???

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

shoot me an email.

I'd be interested in hunting, and don't mind the drive - if that's an open invite...
Do you hunt with your AR???

LOL, ya no. I hunt with a .300 wsm, leupold vx-III, mounted on a winchester model 70.

Shoot me an email.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Email sent...

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:11:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

shoot me an email.

Email sent.

lol, hunting is probably the motivating factor for me moving back to MT, growing up hunting elk every year and then moving away really sucked.  I'll be there sometime in the begenning of october, and because I won't be there 6months prior to opening day, I won't be able to get resident tags.  I'm planning on just throwing down the 75 or so $ to get a non-resident B tag ... a doe is better then nothing.

I've been using a 30-06 that I got as a gift when I was a kid for about 10 years, I did however just buy a Marlin guide 45-70 and am itching to see how that works out.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Figured to BTT for ya Kill9cowboy.  Hope your move goes smooth. Let us know when you turn state-side here.

BTW, how'd the hurricane's treat you?

Sly
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you know of anywhere hosting 3 gun, or IDPA or IPSC matches.  I am from Malta.
Thanks

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks Chtmg for the tip...
Visited Mitchell supply - great prices (compared to Missouri), think I found me a local supplier I can do my share to boost the economy around here - Live here, shop here...

Keep us posted on the new range - when it's finished, and if you have a hankering to waste some lead let me know in advance and I drive up to shoot with you...

hr
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:08:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm in Bozeman.  Anyone else?  

Places to shoot in Bozeman area?

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Figured to BTT for ya Kill9cowboy.  Hope your move goes smooth. Let us know when you turn state-side here.

BTW, how'd the hurricane's treat you?

Sly

The Hurricane was pretty rough, destroyed alot, and my place took some pretty heavy damage (thankfully I rent).  The main problem is employement now down here, most people were out of work for a few weeks.  As for me the whole thing just accelerated my plans to move back.  I am leaving on thursday morning, and will be pulling into Helena on Sunday the 10th.  

This hurricane was the last straw for me and the south, after this I'm not ever leaving the mountians
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Hope you move goes well.

Yeah, the hurricanes would definately hamper my enthusiasm for the place...  We'll be fine till Yellowstone goes.  But hey, at least we won't have to board our damn windows!

Sly
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top