Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 8:35:12 PM EDT
Is it going to be able to come with me?  It's a Glock 19 that I got a while back.  You don't have to be 21 to own a handgun in Texas, but I'm unaware of MA law.

Thanks in advanced.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#1]
You cannot posses a handgun in mass without an LTC which you cannot get until you are 21. I am fairly certain there are NO exceptions to this (unless someone wants to chime in). Can  you transfer it to someone over 21 for the time being? It would be good if you could bring it in to the state somehow as you cannot buy new glocks instate. Also, if the mags are no-ban high caps (more than 10 rounds after 1994) they cannot enter the state. Sorry, I'm guessing this isn't exactly what you wanted to hear, but mass sucks big time.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#2]
why are you moving here?
Go to NH, and make the commute.

save yourself.

all hope is lost.

the chair, is against the wall.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The chair, is against the wall.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

the chair, is against the wall.

That's a riot
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:54:31 AM EDT
[#5]
NH is your best answer.

If you are moving with your parents, they can get a MA LTC-A and "allow" you to shoot it under their supervision ONLY. Possession of it otherwise is a felony!

MA - you must be 21 to get a LTC, so you will not be able to possess it here.

Mag Ban (>10, made after 9/13.94) is permanent here, possession is a felony. Pre-ban mags are fine.

MA - depending on your age, you should be able to get an FID card, only valid for long guns of low-capacity (no AR/AK/etc.). Lots of rigmarole to get a LTC or FID here.

If you are a student in MA, know that you can NOT legally possess any guns, ammo, chemical sprays on any college property at any time. It is illegal, even with LTC/FID!

Best to move to NH and commute (defenseless) to MA. Keep and use your guns in NH with no problem.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#6]
DON'T COME TO MASS!!!!

It's no joke, just think, half of your money being taken away and going into Teddy and Kerry's pocket.  Not to mention that you cannot own your pistol or any "assault rifles", atleast till your 21, but even then there are more hoops to jump through than at the circus.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are moving to MA,IM me.I have a shopping list for you.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you are a student in MA, know that you can NOT legally possess any guns, ammo, chemical sprays on any college property at any time. It is illegal, even with LTC/FID!

I could never comprehend why we have a law like this. God forbid we have a responsible person to keep a school from turning into a death trap. Of course, a responsible person would ignore this law, so there really isn't anything for me to complain about.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I could never comprehend why we have a law like this. God forbid we have a responsible person to keep a school from turning into a death trap. Of course, a responsible person would ignore this law, so there really isn't anything for me to complain about.

This was the MA kneejerk reaction to the Texas Tower shooting of students back in 1966. Been on the books a very long time now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I hate MA already...

I'll be going to UMass and staying off campus.  But this whole possession thing is not sitting well with me.  Is it possible to leave it here in Texas and pick it up on one of my visits back home?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I hate MA already...

I'll be going to UMass and staying off campus.  But this whole possession thing is not sitting well with me.  Is it possible to leave it here in Texas and pick it up on one of my visits back home?

Thanks.

Not sure what you mean about "pick it up on one of my visits back home" . . . if you mean return to MA with it, the answer is NO!! Minors can NOT possess handguns here, period!

You might think of living in VT and commuting to UMass. I don't know VT laws except that NO permits are issued OR required to own/buy guns there. Check their state laws off of www,packing.org to see if minors are allowed to possess handguns.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I hate MA already...

Thanks.

Hmm, this may work if you are still a Texas resident.  The gun will legaly be in your possesion even though you are living in MA for the time.  When you trun 21, bring it in(get LTC first).  Though if you become a MA res, then try to bring it in, I would say it becomes a transfer then must go through FFL.  Is the gun made before '98 or after?

I still say keep your sanity and live in VT/NH/ME.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:33:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I hate MA already...

his
Thanks.

hey, i live near UMass.  i'll hold your gun for you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:26:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This was the MA kneejerk reaction to the Texas Tower shooting of students back in 1966. Been on the books a very long time now.

Liberal, i.e., restrictive laws, re gun rights, in MA are not new.

The first pistol permit law (concealed carry) in the nation was enacted in MA in 1903, IIRC, predating the Sullivan Law in NY, which came about in 1911. A famous violator of the MA carry law was Theodore Roosevelt. A friend noted in horror that TR was carrying a gun, in defiance of the new law, when TR came to Boston to give speeches in 1904.

The law, of course, like all gun laws, was supposedly designed to cut down on "urban and immigrant gang violence" but found little effect there, but worked wonders in disarming the law-obeying in the suburbs and countryside.

So, it didn't just start with the liberals here, since MA traditionally until the 1950s was a Republican state. It's just that even back to Colonial days, Bay Staters have always tolerated and encouraged ever more governmental regulation and control of their lives and property.....
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:15:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I missed something here.  It is my understanding that it is Federal law that a person must be 18 to own a long gun or ammo for it and you must be 21 to own a pistol or ammo for it.  How did you get the pistol?

Scott
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry to resurect an older post, but I have recently been offered a job in Boston and I understand that their laws suck.  I am concerned because I own 4 pistols, 4 assault rifles, plus other guns and LOTS of high cap mags.  But what is the feasability of living in NH and commuting?  I am from Indiana (not much public transportation around here) and have only visited the East Coast once about 10 years ago (I was 12).  So my questions are as follows:

1.) How long is the approximate commute from S. NH to Boston?

2.) How do taxes differ (property, income, etc)?

3.) Is NH a cool place to live ("Live Free or Die" is the best motto I have ever heard)?

RoseMech
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Sorry to resurect an older post, but I have recently been offered a job in Boston and I understand that their laws suck.  I am concerned because I own 4 pistols, 4 assault rifles, plus other guns and LOTS of high cap mags.  But what is the feasability of living in NH and commuting?  I am from Indiana (not much public transportation around here) and have only visited the East Coast once about 10 years ago (I was 12).  So my questions are as follows:

1.) How long is the approximate commute from S. NH to Boston?
Depends on distance and traffic jams. Rt. 93 can get pretty jammed up sometimes. Side roads avg. 35 mph. Allow about an hour, minimum, although some do it more quickly.

2.) How do taxes differ (property, income, etc)?
No income tax or sales tax in NH, but BIIIIG property taxes. If you work in MA and live in NH you still have to pay ridiculous MA income taxes AND pay ridiculous NH property taxes. Either way they get you.

3.) Is NH a cool place to live ("Live Free or Die" is the best motto I have ever heard)?
It's alright, but not very friendly to outsiders, esp. when they hear a suburban Boston accent. But, who can blame them? They don't call 'em MASSholes for no reason.

MA people are called "flatlanders", moving into NH and driving up housing prices and trying to turn NH into an even bluer state than it already is. But the RKBA is expressly written into the NH constitution, something which the founding fathers in MA never thought necessary, so, no need for gun license other than CCW permits, which IIRC are shall issue. Lots of scenic areas, lots of mountains, and in the winter, lots of cold and snow.

RoseMech

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#18]
thanks for the info, i am not much of city guy, i would really like to live out some where i can have a little 50-100 yd range in the back yard.  I understand they like the suburban Boston accent, i hope my rural midwest accent doesnt have the same effect.  I guess I will find out more when I visit in March.  I really appreciate the help, thanks.

RoseMech
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I have read some disturbing posts and thought I might offer some input since I recently moved into Mass from a free state.  You can bring a handgun into the state when you are 21 if you owned it legally in that state.  Since the federal law governes only the SALE of hanguns to those under 21 it is state law that presides over whether or not you can OWN them while 18.  Some states such as AZ allow those under 21 to OWN but cannot PURCHASE until 21.  This means they can be gifted or inherited, perfectley legal.  As to whether you need to transfer through an FFL if you are a resident, ABSOLUTELY NOT.  Just dont try it until you are  21 and your LTC is processing.  If you are 21 and are a new resident there is a time waiver for application of an LTC, I believe it is 60 days, but do not remove the firearm from your residence until you recieve the LTC.  Gets complicated, but if you have questions ask the local PD LICENSING individual, not a patrol cop.  Most patrol cops dont know the legislation, and before anyone gets angry, thats exactly what I do for a living.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top