Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/27/2005 8:45:29 PM EDT
I am moving to Clark County, NV...what do I need to know as far as gun laws here?  Do I need to register my handguns at the Sheriffs department if I already own them?  What about long guns?  Do I need to get a gun permit?  A quick NV gun laws 101 would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah in Clark Co you will need to register your pistols and they will give you a blue registration card for each one.  Don't worry about the long guns.

If you like to drive around with a loaded pistol I would recommend you go get a ccw.  Loaded weapons in vehicles aren't much of an issue in LV but NLV is a different story and I don't know about Henderson.  Consider NLV like Ca and you will understand what I mean.  CCW gets around all their bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the quick response guys.  I would like to get my CCW....would love information on that as well.  I guess first thing first...I need to get my CA DL changed over to NV DL...I heard the line at the DMV is LOOOONG. :(

I work in Las Vegas but will reside in Henderson.  Is Henderson in Clark County?  Maybe I am getting things mixed up.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't even say anything discouraging to this new guy, he's coming in from CA and it will seem like heaven to him.
Welcome, friend and don't worry about the North/South rivalry you see here from time to time. We are all brothers, it's just that we in the North  are the dingdong eatin', more free and less gay  brothers.
enjoy everything that Nevada has to offer the CA refugee. get a nasty black rifle (or six!), get your CCW, buy some normal capacity magazines and LIVE!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to Henerson
I just moved from CA 4 months ago let me know if you need any help

City Of Henderson New Resident Guide

Register handguns in Henderson either at ciy hall Police or Green Valley I found them to be the quickest and real helpful.

The DMV near Sunset Station was not too much of a drama mid morning on a tuesday (same for CCW detail)

Private gun sales are easy no need for paperwork just go to the Police station with the buyer/seller and register handguns, long guns are just cash and carry.

Local Newspaper Gun Ads

New Nevada residents must obtain their driver license within 30 days and vehicle registration within 60 days. (Budget for this registration is loads $ if your car is newish)

Nevada DMV

Next Gun Show Jan 21/22 Next big gun show is March 18/19 Shot Show Feb 9/12 Gun Shows at the Cashman let me know if you want a ride.

Gun Shows

Some of the Gun stores can be non too helpful but they are outweighed by the good ones, just dont go for the ones that are easy to find with big adverts.

Did my CCW with Jim but I am sure that the other recomendation is 100% also
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:38:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I would like to take this time to do a pre-emptive strike. IShoot2Live is our resident 24hr ARFcom CCW instructor. He knows all the laws and I hereby nominate him to make a thread with as much info as needed on gun laws, new residents and gun laws, gun ranges, and whatever else he wants to add....even an ad for his own business if he wants.

Thanks Bro....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:48:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I can't even say anything discouraging to this new guy, he's coming in from CA and it will seem like heaven to him.
Welcome, friend and don't worry about the North/South rivalry you see here from time to time. We are all brothers, it's just that we in the North  are the dingdong eatin', more free and less gay  brothers.
enjoy everything that Nevada has to offer the CA refugee. get a nasty black rifle (or six!), get your CCW, buy some normal capacity magazines and LIVE!

Hey GM,

Remember when I come up North (The Land of The Free) to visit HillBillySniper (I still think HillBillySniper is Insane) I am gonna' look you up dude!

Ha!

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:15:12 AM EDT
[#9]
When Gunmonkey says the Northerners eat dingdongs he means the kind that have veins not chocolate.

Welcome to the free world bro.  I came from Cali myself 5 years ago.  I'll never move back.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:40:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
When Gunmonkey says the Northerners eat dingdongs he means the kind that have veins not chocolate.

Welcome to the free world bro.  I came from Cali myself 5 years ago.  I'll never move back.

Only yours baby.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#11]
damnit another cali clown o well lease hes in vegas and not up north, you made a good choice with vegas im sure youll fit right in and love it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Hey GM,

Remember when I come up North (The Land of The Free) to visit HillBillySniper (I still think HillBillySniper is Insane) I am gonna' look you up dude!

Ha!

Road Trip? Lets go I'm on leave until 7 Jan, I wanna kill some critters.

ETA: Wrong Thread!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#13]
gunmokey, pedro66, etc.

Thanks for all the help guys!  Couldn't sign back on to check the post b/c my office blocked all Gun related website and then my internet went down at home!  Arrg.  

I will head over to the police station and register my handguns.  Do I need to bring ALL my handguns for the registration even C&R handguns?  I have a C&R license....speaking of which I need to change the address on it.   Does it cost anything to register the handguns?

As for transportation, I assume unloaded, locked in the trunk should suffice?  I figure if I go by Kalifornia rules I should pass mustard here in NV.

ishoot2live -

Shoot me an email with your contact info, I'd like to hook up with you to get my CCW sometime after I get my DL transferred over.  [email protected]

I am glad to join you guys in the free state of NV.  I am so going to be broke from buying all the toys I couldn't get in Kalifornia!  Where can I find a good transfer dealer in town and any good gun shops in town that I should visit?

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#14]
What you need to know about Clark county is that it is too damn hot and has too many gun laws
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Just use normal common sense with the handguns, no need for locked in the trunk.
Yes you must register EVERY handgun according to the form even Black Powder.

Unloaded when going into the Police station they will do a check on you and the guns and give you a blue card for each that you MUST carry with the handgun.

The best transfer dealer I found is Glen at Bargain Pawn more than helpful reasonable cost and not anti guns he did not sell.

All the Gun Stores are worth a visit but use your judgement on pricing and service.

Where did you move from?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:16:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Speeaking of Hot....I am not looking forward to the $400/mo electric bill in the summer!  I've already heard horror stories.  I got 3 AC units in my new house...I think I am in deep doodoo

pedro66

I am moving from Redondo Beach, CA....it's gonna take some time to get used to the heat.  Good thing I am not moving mid summer!

Where can I find Glen's contact info?  I am sure I will need his services sooner or later.

If I take a handgun out to the range, I need to carry the blue card for the handgun?  I am not talking about "carrying".  Hm...that's more trouble than CA where I only need to go through the DROS once and wait my 10 days and then I can take the handgun to the range w/o paperwork in hand.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes Blue Card at all times Range or CCW just going to the shop, its no real hassle just a card in your wallet.

Its not more of a pain than CA as you can have a loaded weapon in your car (most times) try explaining that in CA during a traffic stop.

You will find Glen here www.bargainpawn.com/guntransfers.html

He is a real good guy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Welcome to a free(er) state from a former Kommifornian!!  Lived in Carson (not to far from your old stomping grounds) my whole life until I moved here in 93'.  Good advice above.

Oh...you can actually buy black rifles here.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Unloaded when going into the Police station they will do a check on you and the guns and give you a blue card for each that you MUST carry with the handgun.

MUST?? I may be wrong, but I don't recall any law requiring you to carry the card.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#22]
+1

If you are in possession of a handgun (concealed or not) and you do not physically have the card with you you can be cited and your gun can be impounded for "safe keeping." Getting the gun back is somewhat of an ordeal.

A friend of mine was out shooting at Sloan and a NHP Trooper conducted a 468 (person on foot stop) on him. He couldn't find his Blue Card and his gun was impounded. He never did find the Blue Card.

Anyway, NHP wouldn't release the gun without a Blue Card and Metro wouldn't issue a new one without the gun. It took several weeks and a signed letter from Metro to get NHP to release the gun.

More hassle than it's worth if you ask me not to have the card with you.

Also, NRS states that when carrying a firearm concealed you must carry proper ID. Proper ID in Clark County is a state issued DL or ID card, a valid CCW permit (if carrying concealed) and a Blue Registration Card for each gun. If you are not carrying concealed you do not need to be in possession of a CCW permit, but you still need the DL or State ID card and a Blue Card for each handgun.

Hope this helps.....  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I find that very odd since a blue card does not verify registration. There is a computer system for that.

Also, to get a gun released you don't need to bring your blue card with you. The registration is verified through the computer system. That is how the current owner is usually established.

Neither Clark county code 12.04.200 or 12.04.210 require the possession of a card that indicates registration.

The story you give is just an example of another officer not knowing what the law actually reads. NHP doesn't call it a 468 either!

BTW, it is a good idea to have the card with you, but I have never seen any legal requirement.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I find that very odd since a blue card does not verify registration. There is a computer system for that.

Also, to get a gun released you don't need to bring your blue card with you. The registration is verified through the computer system. That is how the current owner is usually established.

Neither Clark county code 12.04.200 or 12.04.210 require the possession of a card that indicates registration.

The story you give is just an example of another officer not knowing what the law actually reads. NHP doesn't call it a 468 either!
BTW, it is a good idea to have the card with you, but I have never seen any legal requirement.

I know that NHP has different code designations. I live my life by Metro's 400 codes and phonetics

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#26]
LVMPD

Registration of Firearms in Clark County

Title 12 of the Clark County Code requires the registration of firearms capable of being concealed.  County Code defines the term “Capable of being concealed” as “any gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm, the barrel of which does not exceed twelve inches in length, from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by explosives, springs, gas or air as a means of propulsion”.  

County Code further defines the term “Firearm” as “any weapon with a caliber of .177 inches or greater, from which a projectile may be propelled by means of gunpowder”; and defines the term “Pistol” to mean “a firearm, the barrel of which does not exceed  twelve inches, intended to be  aimed and fired with one hand”.

Registration of pistols within twenty-four hours.  (Clark County Code 12.04.110)
Any person receiving title to a pistol, whether by purchase, gift, or any other transfer, and whether from a dealer or from any other person, shall, within twenty-four hours of such receipt, personally appear at the county sheriff's office, together with the pistol, for the purpose of registering the same with the sheriff. It shall be the duty of the sheriff to register the pistol, and he may, and is hereby authorized to cooperate in any manner he sees fit with other law enforcement agencies, and with licensed dealers, relative to registration of pistols, so that efficient registration shall be secured at minimum cost and duplication. (Ord. 242 §§ 11, 1965)

Registration of firearms capable of being concealed.  (Clark County Code 12.04.200)
It is unlawful for any person to own or have in his possession, within the unincorporated area of Clark County, a gun, pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed, unless the same has first been registered with the sheriff or with a police department of any of the incorporated  cities of Clark County. (Ord. 242 §§ 20, 1965)

Unlawful transfer of firearms capable of being concealed.  (Clark County Code 12.04.210)
It is unlawful for any person to sell, give away or permanently pass possession to another person of any pistol, revolver or other firearm capable of being concealed, unless the transferor thereof first registers, or causes the weapon to be registered to the transferee and new owner thereof, either with the sheriff, or with a police department of one of the incorporated cities of Clark County. (Ord. 242 §§ 21, 1965)

Registration
Registration can be accomplished at any Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Substation and at any other law enforcement agency within the incorporated cities of Clark County.  (North Las Vegas, Henderson, Overton, and Mesquite).

Registration is quick, simple, and easy.  To register simply bring your handgun (unloaded) to any police substation.  You will receive a cursory background check and given a gun registration card.  It’s that simple; and there is no registration fee.  

You are required to carry the gun registration card whenever you are in possession of the registered firearm.  Please Note: The gun registration card is NOT a permit to carry a firearm concealed.  Carrying a firearm concealed without a permit issued by a sheriff in the state of Nevada, is unlawful and punishable as a felony.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
LVMPD

Registration of Firearms in Clark County

Title 12 of the Clark County Code requires the registration of firearms capable of being concealed.  County Code defines the term “Capable of being concealed” as “any gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm, the barrel of which does not exceed twelve inches in length, from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by explosives, springs, gas or air as a means of propulsion”.  

County Code further defines the term “Firearm” as “any weapon with a caliber of .177 inches or greater, from which a projectile may be propelled by means of gunpowder”; and defines the term “Pistol” to mean “a firearm, the barrel of which does not exceed  twelve inches, intended to be  aimed and fired with one hand”.

Registration of pistols within twenty-four hours.  (Clark County Code 12.04.110)
Any person receiving title to a pistol, whether by purchase, gift, or any other transfer, and whether from a dealer or from any other person, shall, within twenty-four hours of such receipt, personally appear at the county sheriff's office, together with the pistol, for the purpose of registering the same with the sheriff. It shall be the duty of the sheriff to register the pistol, and he may, and is hereby authorized to cooperate in any manner he sees fit with other law enforcement agencies, and with licensed dealers, relative to registration of pistols, so that efficient registration shall be secured at minimum cost and duplication. (Ord. 242 §§ 11, 1965)

Registration of firearms capable of being concealed.  (Clark County Code 12.04.200)
It is unlawful for any person to own or have in his possession, within the unincorporated area of Clark County, a gun, pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed, unless the same has first been registered with the sheriff or with a police department of any of the incorporated  cities of Clark County. (Ord. 242 §§ 20, 1965)

Unlawful transfer of firearms capable of being concealed.  (Clark County Code 12.04.210)
It is unlawful for any person to sell, give away or permanently pass possession to another person of any pistol, revolver or other firearm capable of being concealed, unless the transferor thereof first registers, or causes the weapon to be registered to the transferee and new owner thereof, either with the sheriff, or with a police department of one of the incorporated cities of Clark County. (Ord. 242 §§ 21, 1965)

Registration
Registration can be accomplished at any Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Substation and at any other law enforcement agency within the incorporated cities of Clark County.  (North Las Vegas, Henderson, Overton, and Mesquite).

Registration is quick, simple, and easy.  To register simply bring your handgun (unloaded) to any police substation.  You will receive a cursory background check and given a gun registration card.  It’s that simple; and there is no registration fee.  

You are required to carry the gun registration card whenever you are in possession of the registered firearm.  Please Note: The gun registration card is NOT a permit to carry a firearm concealed.  Carrying a firearm concealed without a permit issued by a sheriff in the state of Nevada, is unlawful and punishable as a felony.

+1

The same rules apply with a gun registration card as a registered motor vehicle. If you are operating a motor vehicle and you do not have your vehicle registration in your possession if stopped by a peace officer you run the risk of being cited/having your vehicle impounded.

Good post Pedro....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:05:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I note that it does not say that FFL dealers can register the handgun for you, but we all know that they do.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:49:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:54:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By Militia Mike:
A Simple Explanation

I agree with your "Simple Explaination" MM.

Unfortunately the law is the law here in these parts. And unless you are willing to travel to Clark County to help us change it, we must abide by it.

BTW: If you decide to cap yourself will you be posting a live webcam video feed? That would make great viewing, and plus I'm sure Ogrish would like the post.....

You "Be Safe" now.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:27:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Interesting.

According to Clark County, several rifles, and one upper in my safe are not "firearms" - since they all have bore diameters smaller than .177    So, shooting my needleblowers is not "discharging a firearm".

I guess if I keep the 12.5 inch upper on my AR Pistol, I can leave the blue card at home too.  Same goes for the XP-100, and the contenders as well.   The sheriff's office DID issue a blue card on the XP when it was presented with a 14 inch barrel.

Lem

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:07:12 AM EDT
[#32]
If you have kids and need to get them into school you can go to this link Clark County School District

Hope this helps....

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

The same rules apply with a gun registration card as a registered motor vehicle. If you are operating a motor vehicle and you do not have your vehicle registration in your possession if stopped by a peace officer you run the risk of being cited/having your vehicle impounded.

Can you show me the law that says that then??? People here are saying you have to, yet my experience and training has yet to find the requirement.

BTW, there is a law requiring you to have your registration certificate in the vehicle unlike the alleged blue card requirement.........

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you show me the law that says that then??? People here are saying you have to, yet my experience and training has yet to find the requirement.

BTW, there is a law requiring you to have your registration certificate in the vehicle unlike the alleged blue card requirement.........

Here you go a link to LVMPD read for yourself remember we are only talking Clark County

www.lvmpd.com/Permits/Firearm_Registration_.html
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.lvmpd.com/Permits/Concealed_Firearms_Permit_.html

A permit holder must carry the permit together with the gun registration card (Blue card) and proper identification whenever they are in actual possession of the concealed firearm(s). The permit, blue card, and proper identification must be presented to a peace officer when requested. Failure to produce the permit, blue card, and proper identification at an officer's request carry a civil penalty of $25.00.

Ya know, I've looked all over the municipal codes, and NOWHERE does it say that the blue card must be in your possession while you have the pistol in your possession. It just says that the pistol must be REGISTERED. If someone can show it to me in the code, I'd sure appreciate it.

I've also asked a few ADA's about this (off the record, naturally), and they aren't aware of any actual code to back it up either.

I have a feeling that this is a LVMPD policy, and not necessarily enforceable.

'Course I'm not going to be the test case either
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Well you learn something new everyday, I myself am not going to chance my arm for the sake of carrying a little card in my wallet.

The Police need to stop telling people to always carry the card with the firearm when they register them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#40]
So why do LVMPD say you must have the card with the Firearm, is this just a local request?

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#41]
The statement you are reading is from a pamphlet they handed out around 15 years ago......things have changed.

Since then, the registration system is completely computerized and that is how the weapons registration is managed.

The dept. can say whatever they want......this is just another example of poor education and people relying upon someone's word rather than the law.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#42]
I am not arguing, but when I last registered a pistol (October) the cop I was talking to told me that they (Henderson) cannot access handgun registrations unless the gun has been reported stolen or is in the Pawn system, are you now saying that Clark county has a central register of ALL registered handguns.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Moving to Clark County can be summed up in 3 words..."dont do it" .....   LOL
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#45]
no moving to northern nevada when your from cali......DONT FUCKIN DO IT!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:08:48 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By Militia Mike:
A Simple Explanation

BTW: If you decide to cap yourself will you be posting a live webcam video feed? That would make great viewing, and plus I'm sure Ogrish would like the post.....

You "Be Safe" now.

Sad sad sad.....
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:53:18 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
So why do LVMPD say you must have the card with the Firearm, is this just a local request?

LVMPD policy requires all of their officers to carry their registration cards for their duty and off-duty weapons whenever they are carrying the weapon. My guess is that their attitude is " since we have to, then you have to.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Well I for one see no point in rocling the boat for such a small issue the cards stay in my wallet. if it gets you away from a stop a little quicker and hassle free.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
If you have kids and need to get them into school you can go to this link Clark County School District

Hope this helps....

Thanks, I have a 5mo old girl.  Even though it's a bit early but I will need to look into it.  I heard UNLV had some sort of childcare/daycare program that is really good but I was unable to find it on their website.  Do you know anything about it?

As for the Blue Card....I'll carry it just to error on the safe side.  If you think all of this BS in Clark County is bad...try moving back to Kalifornia.  I can't even say AR15 there without feeling I am doing something illegal...LOL  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

LVMPD policy requires all of their officers to carry their registration cards for their duty and off-duty weapons whenever they are carrying the weapon. My guess is that their attitude is " since we have to, then you have to.

Actually, the policy that discusses any blue card for the dept. deals with a department issued card for carrying alternate/optional weapons. It is also blue.

Pedro, the registration system is part of the Pawn system.......the Henderson cop you spoke with was wrong. Police dispatch has full access to this system.

Wolfpack, which "Whitey" are you speaking of??? IM me if you like. There are two that I know of. One has been around for quite awhile....

Some may feel there is no need to rock the boat, but some cops are providing/enforcing bad information and the good people are falling into the trap also. At which point shall the people stand up for the misapplication of enforcement and requirements that are not a part of any law or ordinance??

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top