Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/30/2006 7:47:03 PM EDT
I'm moving to Birmingham in a couple of months but am unfamiliar with the city.  Can anyone please help me out with some general info about places to live?  

I'm going to be working long, long hours at UAB so I don't want to have too far of a drive (25 min max door to door would be most desirable).  Anyone familiar with Fultondale, Gardendale, Homewood, Hoover, Irondale etc?  I'm not looking to spend a fortune but don't mind spending a little extra if it keeps me out of the undesirable areas.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:14:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I live a little further out than any of the places you mentioned, but I get to hear some rumors about the good and bad places to live.
Shelby County, in general, is the "hot" place to live right now. Lots of nicer new housing being built, stable schools districts with adequate funding, etc. You might want to take a look at a map of it before you start house hunting.
I have heard that Irondale and parts of Fultondale and Homewood aren't ideal... again, all scraps of conversation I've picked up.
Hoover and Gardendale are supposed to be nice in most places.

There are a few other Birmingham-area folks here who can help you out. Welcome to God's Country.

-Hobbit
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:17:25 AM EDT
[#2]
i'd probably even look as far out as calera. i got a buddy that lives there and commutes in. it's about 20 minutes south of bham. nice quite little city.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:13:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I live in Fultondale.  Anything north of Fultondale is the best part of town to live in, IMHO, due to safety/location/ease of drive into the city.  Hold on, there was a similar thread regarding this recently.  I'll try to find it.  Where will you be working?

ETA, best I can do:

I like it. Burbs are fine, white people don't live downtown. Supposedly some night life but I'm an old codger and stopped that a few years ago-now just sit home and snuggle
Most crime is downtown where the druggies are.

Several gun ranges. FOP Range allows f/a. Everything but SBR's allowed. Carry permit almost automatic.

Posted :: 5/20/2005 10:25:23 PM

BeetleBailey
Team Member Bronze Contributor
Resident Sloth
Post Number :: 3094

AL, USA

Dude, everything, anything you want is here in B'ham. Multiple ranges, we have group shoots often. Best healthcare in the nation, along with some of the best entertainment.

Here are some of the main hot spots:

www.bjcc.org/
www.alysstephens.org/2005/
www.citystages.org/
www.rtjgolf.com/trail/default.htm
foprangeinc.com
visionland.com
www.birminghamzoo.com/
www.mcwane.org/
www.riverchasegalleria.com/html/
www.thesummitonline.com/storesbham.htm

that's just skimming hte surface. I've left out all of the parks, lakes, etc

Comprehensive Real Estate site, including the listings for ALL agencies in the area:
www.lah-re.com/

Only places to avoid shacking up in Birmingham is it's northside, immediate East and West. There are many great communities in the surrounding metro from Trussville, Vestavia, Mountain Brook, Homewood, to Fultondale and further north.

Posted :: 5/20/2005 11:02:12 PM
Last Edited :: 5/21/2005 9:27:56 AM by BeetleBailey

Bama-Shooter
You do your thing. I'll do mine.
Post Number :: 6424

USA

Depending on area housing is on par with NC if not a lot cheaper. Southside, Hwy 280, Hoover, lots of places to go play. Maybe not as busy as some area's of NC, but still good.

American by chance, Southern by the grace of God.

NRA Life Member
Posted :: 5/21/2005 12:07:04 AM

Stasher1
Post Number :: 333

AL, USA

Quoted:

The druggies are everywhere, not just downtown.

Posted :: 5/21/2005 2:22:30 PM
Last Edited :: 5/21/2005 2:22:54 PM by Stasher1

The_Beer_Slayer
Combat Moderator
Post Number :: 19186

AL, USA

stay out of downtown birmingham area and bessemer as a general rule. there are MNAY small areas around bham that are nice. housing costs are some of the cheapest in the nation. crime is on par and actually a bit lower than most cities it's size not counting the slum areas.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

-Frank Zappa

Posted :: 5/21/2005 6:26:09 PM

GomerPyle
Shazaam!
Post Number :: 1865

NC, USA

Thanks everyone. This has been a huge help. I'm going to pursue the promotion that will make me transfer, so we'll have to see. Thanks again.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Posted :: 5/21/2005 7:09:08 PM

The_Beer_Slayer
Combat Moderator
Post Number :: 19209

AL, USA

Quoted:
Thanks everyone. This has been a huge help. I'm going to pursue the promotion that will make me transfer, so we'll have to see. Thanks again.

just so you know.....

the bama crew is a pretty tight bunch that takes care of it's own. if you need anything let us know.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

-Frank Zappa

Posted :: 5/21/2005 7:25:00 PM

BeetleBailey
Resident Sloth
Post Number :: 3100

AL, USA

Quoted:

just so you know.....

the bama crew is a pretty tight bunch that takes care of it's own. if you need anything let us know.

+1

ETA: DANG I FORGOT THE MOST IMPORTANT ATTRACTION OF ALL!!: GULF SHORES AND PANAMA CITY BEACH

One of the "places you must go before you die", so living here makes it so much easier...

Posted :: 5/21/2005 11:07:52 PM
Last Edited :: 5/21/2005 11:11:13 PM by BeetleBailey

The_Camp_Ninja
What Would Jerry Do?
Post Number :: 1951

AL, USA

Quoted:
Quoted:

just so you know.....

SEEN!

"You are wrong again as usual."
-ArmdLbrl

Wow, member #50. Proof positive that I had
*ABSOLUTELY* nothing better to do that day!

Posted :: 5/22/2005 1:10:57 AM

GomerPyle
Shazaam!
Post Number :: 2056

NC, USA

Bumped

"It was on that day that I put a jihad on them. And if you don't believe me, then you'd better kill me now, because I'll put a jihad on you, too." - Gary Johnston
Posted :: 6/26/2005 11:07:14 PM

BeetleBailey
Adventure, excitement? A Jedi craves not these.
Post Number :: 3595

AL, USA

Congratulations! Now:

1. Will you be bringing any family with you?
2. What part of town will you be working in? N, S, E, W metro?
3. What line of work are you in?
4. Will you be able to make it to the July 16th shoot for a proper initiation?

Now, I'll go ahead and give you a headstart on the housing/renting. Birmingham is a WEIRD city. The city center itself is mostly dead on nights and weekends except for special events and concerts/shows at the huge Birmingham-Jefferson civic center - it is the surrounding metro areas that hold the hotspots. Also, housing is desirable outside of the city in the metro areas rather than close to the city center. Almost all of the inner-city residential areas are the high-crime areas of Birmingham, it is the surrounding communities where you want to live, with the exception of a handful.

North:
You do NOT want to live close to north Birmingham. However, a little (15-25 minutes up the interstate) north of the city is some of the greatest communties in the metro area, such as Gardendale, Mount Olive, Morris, parts of Fultondale and parts of Warrior. 1/2 of the largest metro residential and commercial growth is occuring here as these communities are becoming the ideal places for families to live.

South:
The other 1/2 of the major growth is south of the city, reaching out from the communities of Homewood, Hoover, and into Shelby County, which Birmingham Metro borders. Actually, the southeast portion of the metro area - Vestavia Hills, Mountain Brook, parts of Inverness - are the "Beverly Hills" of Birmingham, the million dollar houses, old money, etc etc. Most residents down the major southeast highway (hwy280) are high-fluting, but traffic is a nightmare.

East and West are really some areas that have surcumbed to "ghetto zones" like the immediate north residential areas of Birmingham, but a handful of really nice communities exist, such as:

West:
Pleasant Grove - but make sure it's Pleasant Grove and not Bessemer

East:
Areas such as Trussville, which has recently been coined "Truss-vegas" for it's enormous growth of which rivals the aformentioned northern and southern high-growth areas. Parts of Trussvegas also cater to the wealthy like Vestavia and Mountain Brook.

Now, that is all really a pin-prick of Birmingham metro. To fully dissect and address the best options for you we will have to determine where your job will be located and so on and so forth.

[thebeekeeper1]: "When in the shower, and things are hanging low due to the heat, just gently roll each testicle around in your fingers"
Posted :: 6/26/2005 11:53:56 PM
Last Edited :: 6/27/2005 12:16:29 AM by BeetleBailey

GomerPyle
Shazaam!
Post Number :: 2059

NC, USA

Quoted:
Congratulations! Now:

1. Will you be bringing any family with you? Just me.
2. What part of town will you be working in? N, S, E, W metro? Metro area, and travelling quite a bit, too.
3. What line of work are you in? Management.
4. Will you be able to make it to the July 16th shoot for a proper initiation? I sure hope so!

I want to get down there as soon as possible, but I have to get everything squared away here at work before I can leave. Should know something concrete by July 5th.

"It was on that day that I put a jihad on them. And if you don't believe me, then you'd better kill me now, because I'll put a jihad on you, too." - Gary Johnston
Posted :: 6/27/2005 12:12:34 AM

BeetleBailey
Adventure, excitement? A Jedi craves not these.
Post Number :: 3596

AL, USA

bump for my huge edit a post or two up

[thebeekeeper1]: "When in the shower, and things are hanging low due to the heat, just gently roll each testicle around in your fingers"
Posted :: 6/27/2005 12:16:50 AM

The_Beer_Slayer
Combat Moderator
Post Number :: 20308

AL, USA

gomer,

shoot me an IM when you get here.

I am a field engineer with IBM and spend a good bit of my day tooling around the area waiting for something to break. i will gladly pick you up and give you the grand tour of the area.

If it's on a weekend we can kill a few at camp slayer

-Frank Zappa

Posted :: 6/27/2005 7:48:33 AM

gunham
Post Number :: 868

AL, USA

Check out www.al.com.

Posted :: 7/1/2005 10:40:46 AM

jquillen1985
Post Number :: 538

AL, USA

Quoted:
I like it. Burbs are fine, white people don't live downtown.

Quoted:

You two don't know what the fuck you're talking about, do you? Hey alaman, tell that to all the young professionals buying loft apartments like hotcakes smack in the middle of downtown that there aren't any white people living downtown. New condos are being built everyday with hundreds of units planned for the immediate future.And how many drug deals have you seen go down at the intersection of 20th and 5th streets north? You obviously don't live anywhere near downtown so do us metro area dwellars a favor and shut your mouth. If you live in the suburbs, tell him about the suburbs, but don't tell him about my city unless you know what you're saying.

Posted :: 7/2/2005 1:04:14 PM

gunham
Post Number :: 870

AL, USA

Statistically there are only about 50,000 white people living in the city limits of Birmingham which has a population of about 300,000. Birmingham lost 50,000 white people in the last 10 years. As far as the loft district in downtown Birmingham, we are talking about 100's of lofts, not thousands. Except for 5 points south, I have not seen a lot of night life in Birmingham. I don't think that crime in Downtown Birmingham is that bad, but very few people live there relative to the other areas of Birmingham. With about 1/3 of the Birmingham metro population, the city of Birmingham accounts for about 2/3 's of the crime in the Metro Area. Most of the burbs have a lower than average crime rate, with the exception of Bessemer which is about twice the national average. If anyone want's to throw up the exact numbers, please do, but I do not care to look them up at this time.

Posted :: 7/3/2005 1:22:58 PM

alaman
Post Number :: 1702

AL, USA

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You two don't know what the fuck you're talking about, do you? Hey alaman, tell that to all the young professionals buying loft apartments like hotcakes smack in the middle of downtown that there aren't any white people living downtown. New condos are being built everyday with hundreds of units planned for the immediate future.And how many drug deals have you seen go down at the intersection of 20th and 5th streets north? You obviously don't live anywhere near downtown so do us metro area dwellars a favor and shut your mouth. If you live in the suburbs, tell him about the suburbs, but don't tell him about my city unless you know what you're saying.

All 472 of you? They build a new subdivision in the suburbs and it will have more people than live in all the overhyped lofts in B'ham. B'ham is the murder capital of Alabama and where are the murders and druggies? How about in the City? B'ham is in the top 10 of of cities losing population per numbers released last month. Those leaving are the white people. Take out the students attending UAB and the homosexuals who hang out on the south side and the central city has no white people but the 472 of you who live in lofts and some who still live on top of Red Mountain and by Eastwood Mall. . Ensley, West End, etal. that used to be great areas to live and rear children are now crime riddled cesspools. There is not one public school, but the fine arts one, that any sane person would send their child to.

Drive the northern part of town, especially at night, along with the west side and one had better be armed and their doors locked. The list could go on but why bother discussing a dying center city?

Posted :: 7/3/2005 3:48:46 PM

The_Beer_Slayer
Combat Moderator
Post Number :: 20459

AL, USA

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

jquillen1985

consider this your one and only warning. keep this discussion civil or you won't be posting.

-Frank Zappa

Posted :: 7/3/2005 8:01:54 PM

gunham
Post Number :: 871

AL, USA

If you work in Birmingham 1% of your income goes to the city and 1/2% goes to the County. In addition, Birmingham has one of the highest sales tax rates around.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:13:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Burntcrispy,

Looks like most people missed the commute part so I'll help you out there.  These are all estimated times to and from UAB.  My girlfriend works there and I work about 10 blocks away.

Vestavia, morning 15-20min, night 20-35min
Hoover, morning 15-25min, night 25-45min
Homewood, morning 10min, night 10-15min
Mountain Brook, morning 10-15min, night 10-20min
Irondale (jefferson County Schools), morning 5-10min, night 5-10min
Fultondale and North of Fultondale (including gardendale, etc.), Morning 25-30+, Night 20+
Pelham, morning 30-35min, night 35min
Calera, morning 35-45+min, night 50+
Alabaster, morning 30-40min, night 40+min
Trussville, morning 25-40min, night

Anything South of I-459 on HWY 280, forget about it!  45+ both ways.
Bessemer or Birmingham, NO!  Try somewhere else
Centerpoint, Nope try again!

If you want school systems I'll post them.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:34:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Burntcrispy,

Looks like most people missed the commute part so I'll help you out there.  These are all estimated times to and from UAB.  My girlfriend works there and I work about 10 blocks away.

Fultondale and North of Fultondale (including gardendale, etc.), Morning 25-30+, Night 20+

I work at UAB too.  Shoot me an IM about what dept she works, and where you work.  We should meet up some time for lunch.

btw - that Fultondale/Gardendale commute time is incorrect.  It should read:

7:30 - 8:00 Fultondale and North of Fultondale (including gardendale, etc.), Morning 25-30+, Night 20+ (4:45-5:30).  All other times: 15-20 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't help you with the commute times, but I'll give you some names of places I wouldn't mind living in in the B'ham metro area, in order to be a second (or third or fourth) opinion.  Hoover, Vestavia Hills, Mountain Brook, Trussville, Pelham.  I graduated from the University of Montevallo, so I'm kinda partial to Shelby County, ie Pelham, Calera, and of course, Montevallo.  If you're in to neat little college towns swing by Montevallo sometime.  It's less than 45 minutes from just about anywhere you'd want to go in B'ham ("anywhere you'd want to go" is the operative phrase).

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:02:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Some of the hotter growing areas that are probably at the edge, or just beyond your 25 minute target are up the I-59 corridor NE of town but past Centerpoint, Trussville was mentioned, but Springdale, Argo, Margaret, Springville are all growing rapidly from a residential perspective.  Still lots of reasonably priced stuff in those areas today.

The same for areas on the I-20 corridor to the East, including Leeds and Moody.  Lots and lots of new homes in those areas and the traffic is still bearable.

As mentioned, the U.S. 280 corridor South of I-459 is loaded with homes, but has become untennable from a traffic perspective if you are trying to get downtown to UAB.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:22:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:25:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:56:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i also live north up around warrior.

on a BAD traffic day i can make the 25 mile trip from my house to the lakeshore exit on 65 in around 30 min. i am pretty much going opposite of rush hour traffic all the time as MOST people live south.

In my area crime is pretty much non existant <as much as it can be> prices are low and the conviences are still closes enough it's not a bother.

i drive bham ALL day for work, i'd be happy to pick you up and give you the tour.

mike

he speaks the truth
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#11]
How far are Leeds and Moody?  

As far as my commute, I'll probably be driving to UAB around 5am-6am and leaving around 5pm or later.

25 minute door to door is about all I can stand as I am going to be working 80+ hours/wk and would like to spend more time sleeping than driving.  I am looking to keep traffic to a minimum regardless of time of day (I hear some areas have traffic that is absolutely brutal) .  Also looking for houses  <10 yrs old.  Mainly a 3 bedroom 2 bath type of house.  Nothing super fancy, just something nice in a decent (safe) area.

So far it looks like the Gardendale/Fultondale areas are good buys and decent commutes.  Any other thoughts?  Also, is there much of a difference between Gardendale vs Fultondale as far as commute time and safety go?  

I've also noticed some houses in Mount Olive.  Anyone know about this area or the commute?

Thanks alot for the help.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
How far are Leeds and Moody?  

As far as my commute, I'll probably be driving to UAB around 5am-6am and leaving around 5pm or later.

25 minute door to door is about all I can stand as I am going to be working 80+ hours/wk and would like to spend more time sleeping than driving.  I am looking to keep traffic to a minimum regardless of time of day (I hear some areas have traffic that is absolutely brutal) .  Also looking for houses  <10 yrs old.  Mainly a 3 bedroom 2 bath type of house.  Nothing super fancy, just something nice in a decent (safe) area.

So far it looks like the Gardendale/Fultondale areas are good buys and decent commutes.  Any other thoughts?  Also, is there much of a difference between Gardendale vs Fultondale as far as commute time and safety go?  

I've also noticed some houses in Mount Olive.  Anyone know about this area or the commute?

Thanks alot for the help.

I grew up in Mt. O.  You will not find a much better place.  Still under county jurisdiction, close enough to B'ham that you won't think twice to drive to the other side of town for the night life (movies, mall, etc.)
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I live in Hoover. Wife works downtown. Leaves at 7:30, worst time, and is at work in 20 min. About same coming home at 5:00. Go for Hoover
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Is traffic generally worse coming from the south or north?   Time is probably one of the larger issues for me.  Homewood looks like a nice area as far as time and distance from UAB go but those prices seem a little steep for someone coming from TX.

Keep the opinions coming.  I'll be there in a week or so to buy a house and I know very little about the city.  Can't wait to get moved there and check out the FOP range.  Looks like a nice place on the website.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
trust me on this.

you don't want to live near alaman.

there is a rumor going around he molested the keebler elves

You should see those elves scatter when I open up with my Norrell
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Is traffic generally worse coming from the south or north?   Time is probably one of the larger issues for me.  Homewood looks like a nice area as far as time and distance from UAB go but those prices seem a little steep for someone coming from TX.

Keep the opinions coming.  I'll be there in a week or so to buy a house and I know very little about the city.  Can't wait to get moved there and check out the FOP range.  Looks like a nice place on the website.

Best suggestion is rent one of those week to week temporary places and take your time looking for a place. I did and am extremely happy. Those from north of town say move there and those from south move here. They are different
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#20]

actually, why don't you go ahead and move south of town.  we've already got a lot of folks starting to move up here so we don't need to make it worse
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#21]
B'ham has a 1% occupational tax in addition to the .5% county tax.  Southside B'ham has a fairly high crime rate and a lot of Gays/Lesbians.  I guess that they just like the area.  There are no other livable places in the City limits of B'ham, but several people have given good suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
probably be driving to UAB around 5am-6am and leaving around 5pm or later..

You are not going to have really bad problems in any area at that time of morning, after 6:30 a.m. or so, things pick up depending on the area....however leaving Bham proper at 5 p.m. or even 6 p.m. you are going to get gagged in the worst traffic of the day.... especially any place southbound or inside 459
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I live in the area North of Moody, and I have clients that work at UAB. The drive isn't great, but they like living here. It's a realtively rural area that has experienced a recent influx of peple who work in the city at good jobs, and want to live somewhere safe.
I cater to these people.

Anyway, if you look at a map of Birmingham, the area that I'm in is popular with city workers because it puts you close to I-20 and I-59. This is why the housing boom is happening in areas like mine- Margaret is supposed to build over 700 new homes in the next three years alone if you listen to the local government types. I drove through Margaret the other day because a lot of my clientele lives there, and I think it's a gross underestimate.
That may not sound like a lot, but the last census had a total of 450 housing units in the area. Anyway, it's a case study of what's happening here.

-Hobbit
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I live in the area North of Moody, and I have clients that work at UAB. The drive isn't great, but they like living here. It's a realtively rural area that has experienced a recent influx of peple who work in the city at good jobs, and want to live somewhere safe.
I cater to these people.

Anyway, if you look at a map of Birmingham, the area that I'm in is popular with city workers because it puts you close to I-20 and I-59. This is why the housing boom is happening in areas like mine- Margaret is supposed to build over 700 new homes in the next three years alone if you listen to the local government types. I drove through Margaret the other day because a lot of my clientele lives there, and I think it's a gross underestimate.
That may not sound like a lot, but the last census had a total of 450 housing units in the area. Anyway, it's a case study of what's happening here.

-Hobbit

I have a friend who lives in Margaret.  Just moved out there, but they work in Trussville so they don't see much of the interstate.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:34:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:51:56 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
boom is happening in areas like mine- Margaret is supposed to build over 700 new homes in the next three years

It is stunning, and between Moody/Margaret/Argo I am betting the total is 4-5X that, I cut that way going to my gun club about every week and I see new areas being cleared and new things going up every trip.  Thank goodness the legislature passed that range protection act a few years back, because we are being "surrounded" up at the Heritage club in Argo....
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Burntcrispy,

Dude, it NEVER takes 50+ minutes to get to Birmingham/UAB from Calera, or back,  barring a major-league accident.

My wife commutes to Southside every day from Calera. She is fine until she hits Vestavia/Hoover, and then she's in bumper to bumper like anyone else would be.

Bad traffic mornings it's between 30 and 40 minutes, afternoons about the same.

We Used to live just the other side of Mountain Brook, and the commute was longer even though we were about 20 miles closer. ANYWHERE that requires a significant drive on Highway 280 is a traffic nightmare, both ways. That include Mountain Brook, Parts of Vestavia and Homewood and the Brook Highland/Inverness area.

From Calera on weekends or after rush hour, it's about 25 minutes tops to Downtown.

Hell, I can be at the FOP Range in Pleasant Grove in about 35.

South: I'd look at Pelham, Alabaster and Calera, bets bang for your housing bucks in Calera area.
North: North of Fultondale, in Morris, Warrior etc. Still a commute.
East: Chalkville/Trussville.

The Greater Birmingham Metro Area, to incluse Centerpoit, Bessemer, Downtown etc is a third-world shithole. Avoid it at all costs.

SG
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:43:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
... The Greater Birmingham Metro Area, to incluse Centerpoit, Bessemer, Downtown etc is a third-world ****hole. Avoid it at all costs.

Sad but true, IMHO.  I grew up in the Huffman area (near Centerpoint) and it was a good place to live...

... 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:27:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey, feal free to correct me if I'm wrong about those estimates.  In the morning it might not be so bad coming in from Calera.  But everytime I go south it seems like there is a wreck around Pelham or Alabaster.  You get into that bumper to bumper inch worm traffic.  You know what I mean, I just hate that stuff.

I'm not sure about Moody.  I think it used to be really bad just past there when they had all the road construction and a lane blocked off.  Now I think its much better.

I have to admit that I really haven't lived in the HAM that long, so my estimates might be off.  But I'm not biased about any one direction either.  You may find that depending on where some people live they will favor that direction a little more.  Nothing wrong with that!  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Any good shops around BHam area where I can find a good gunsafe and have it delivered?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Any good shops around BHam area where I can find a good gunsafe and have it delivered?

Bought my Liberty from Mark's Outdoors on sale. They delivered, drilled holes, put in Golden Rod, etc. Saw a few outdoors under the canopy as I drove by today. Maybe another sale?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
boom is happening in areas like mine- Margaret is supposed to build over 700 new homes in the next three years

It is stunning, and between Moody/Margaret/Argo I am betting the total is 4-5X that, I cut that way going to my gun club about every week and I see new areas being cleared and new things going up every trip.  Thank goodness the legislature passed that range protection act a few years back, because we are being "surrounded" up at the Heritage club in Argo....

How do you like Heritage. Been thinking of joining so I can get away from Beerslayer
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Also for Billbotts- do you ever shoot the IPSC/USPSA matches at Heritage?
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Hey, feal free to correct me if I'm wrong about those estimates.  In the morning it might not be so bad coming in from Calera.  But everytime I go south it seems like there is a wreck around Pelham or Alabaster.  You get into that bumper to bumper inch worm traffic.  You know what I mean, I just hate that stuff.

I'm not sure about Moody.  I think it used to be really bad just past there when they had all the road construction and a lane blocked off.  Now I think its much better.

I have to admit that I really haven't lived in the HAM that long, so my estimates might be off.  But I'm not biased about any one direction either.  You may find that depending on where some people live they will favor that direction a little more.  Nothing wrong with that!  

Aw, hell, all bets are off of there's wreck. But that pretty much goes for any of the interstates in and around Bham.

Several good places in each direction.

SG
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#36]
How's the commute to UAB from Irondale?  How's the Irondale area?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#37]
alaman,
Heritage is a good pistol place, 7 independent bays, plate racks, etc. but  the rifle range is very limited, 130 yards max distance.  No real shotgun (clay pidgeon) capabilities at all.   The great thing about the place is that members have the gate key, you come and go as you please 365 days per year (except on match dates), it is not a staffed facility and it is never crowded.  We only have about 100 members or so.  Let me know if you want to see it some time.  I go practice every weekend that I can.

It is non-profit and member owned.  Unlimited guest privledges as long as you accompany them and insure their responsible behavior (bring your whole extended family and have a picnic, nobody would mind)

Bad news from your perspective might be that if Beerslayer ever applied, we would probably let him in too....

Hobbitt,
I am one of the match directors for USPSA up there, I also run the 3-gun stuff, so email me if you have any questions.  Would be happy to have you join us some time.  Happy if I can answer any questions you have about that game if you have never shot it before.  It is a lot of fun.  We run a rifle side match or shotgun side match after the pistol about half the time too.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:09:00 AM EDT
[#38]
I actually shot 2 or 3 matches up there last year (and shot them pretty badly, but had a blast and learned a lot). You might remember me- I'm the one whose pistol choked completely at a match and I wound up borrowing mags from Guido... It was the same day that two guys managed to shoot the swinger cable in two before that part of the course was reached.
I've been unable to trust my 1911 since then for self-defense or anything else. I plan on buying something more appropriate to shoot matches there as soon as finances permit.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:09:12 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
How's the commute to UAB from Irondale?  How's the Irondale area?

Thanks.

Irondale is nice, and I don't think the commute would be bad since you can take the 'back way' into town (without ever getting on the interstate)

ETA:  also, it is the inspiration for the movie "Fried Green Tomatos"
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:52:27 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
alaman,
Heritage is a good pistol place, 7 independent bays, plate racks, etc. but  the rifle range is very limited, 130 yards max distance.  No real shotgun (clay pidgeon) capabilities at all.   The great thing about the place is that members have the gate key, you come and go as you please 365 days per year (except on match dates), it is not a staffed facility and it is never crowded.  We only have about 100 members or so.  Let me know if you want to see it some time.  I go practice every weekend that I can.

It is non-profit and member owned.  Unlimited guest privledges as long as you accompany them and insure their responsible behavior (bring your whole extended family and have a picnic, nobody would mind)

Bad news from your perspective might be that if Beerslayer ever applied, we would probably let him in too....

Hobbitt,
I am one of the match directors for USPSA up there, I also run the 3-gun stuff, so email me if you have any questions.  Would be happy to have you join us some time.  Happy if I can answer any questions you have about that game if you have never shot it before.  It is a lot of fun.  We run a rifle side match or shotgun side match after the pistol about half the time too.

Thanks for the info. A friend has been trying to get me to join for a while. I do a lot of Class 3 shooting

As for Beerslayer, I too would vote to admit him. He's a nice guy.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:24:45 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
. I do a lot of Class 3 shooting.

Well you would be right at home on that count.  Last time I check we had a few class III dealers in the club in addition to H&K which is now a corporate member and every time I go to the range there seems to be somebody going full auto with some toy.   We built a special berm specifically for class III stuff that is 50m x 50m with a mountain behind it.

Hobbit, I did not make the match you mentioned last year, I had family issues that caused me to miss all the matches except the two I had to run in '05, but look forward to meeting you some time.  Come try the 3-gun if you can.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aw, hell, all bets are off of there's wreck. But that pretty much goes for any of the interstates in and around Bham.

Several good places in each direction.

SG

I have a friend that lives down in Calera and loves it.  He works at SMI steel.  He used to drive a Chevy 2500 superduty.  Now he drives a Honda Civic Coupe.  The mileage was eating him up.  

Irondale:  Irondale is a pretty nice area depending on what part your in.  You'll want to hug the boarders of the other nice areas, Mountain Brook, Vestavia, etc. if looking for a house there.  Its in Jefferson County Schools and I believe your still under the Birmingham Police Jurisdiction.  Might just be Jefferson County unincorporated, I'm not completely sure!  The Irondale High school did get picked as one of the best in the nation.  Think its shades valley high school or something like that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:22:53 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't have any children so school zones isn't much of a concern for me.  Mainly want to find something in nice area with short commute time to UAB.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#44]
You might want to checkout www.al.com and look for the Birmingham forum.  There is talk of building a dome.  If it is ever built, then local people will not be able to support it and taxes will have to go up to pay for it.  The current county leadership will do nothing good for Jefferson County.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#45]
I'd wote for anywhere north of town. Down south is overrated and to expensive. Traffic down there is horrible. Gardendale on north... I live about halfway between Cullman and Bham and LOVE it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I'd wote for anywhere north of town. Down south is overrated and to expensive. Traffic down there is horrible. Gardendale on north... I live about halfway between Cullman and Bham and LOVE it.

you live in Hayden?  Half my kin are there (and Morris & Hanceville)
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Stay out of Birmingham proper.  It is a high crime, economic devastation zone that is run by politicians with no business sense.  And it will take generations of doing the right thing(which it is not) to recover.  There are news articles of concrete falling from the ceilings in the parking decks.  There are reports of very bad roads.  Just driving around the city, you will see empty building after empty building.  I have never seen a city downtown that is so dead.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you live in Hayden?  Half my kin are there (and Morris & Hanceville)

Close. Smokerise. Living OUT of Jefferson county is great!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Being from Tx I don't have much experience with basements.  Texas is completely flat so no houses have them.  Can you put your gun safe in an unfinished basement?  (wondering about temperature changes, dampness, etc)

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Being from Tx I don't have much experience with basements.  Texas is completely flat so no houses have them.  Can you put your gun safe in an unfinished basement?  (wondering about temperature changes, dampness, etc)

Thanks.

Certainly. Moisture can be a problem in some areas. Be aware of any musty smell when looking at houses that could give that away. A dehumidifier can be used and is a good idea. Basement temps are quite pleasant all year. Houses on a hill usually have moisture safe basements.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top