Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2012 2:00:55 PM EDT
I'll be moving from Alexandria to Chantilly in a few weeks. My current CCW expires in November. What do I have to do to get it renewed in Chantilly? Also, I have some suppressors and SBRs held in a trust. Updating the trust address isn't a problem. Do I need to notify the ATF of my move though? Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagging b/c I'd like to know the answers too.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I would just call the Loudon court clerk and ask them.
I have no idea about the NFA stuff.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Change of Address (VSP site)

The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address. The total amount assessed for processing a replacement permit due to a change of address shall not exceed $10, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who accepts the information for the replacement permit.

Quoted:
I would just call the Loudon Alexandria  court clerk and ask them.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Change of Address (VSP site)

The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address. The total amount assessed for processing a replacement permit due to a change of address shall not exceed $10, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who accepts the information for the replacement permit.

Quoted:
I would just call the Loudon Alexandria  court clerk and ask them.

So he has to renew in Alexandria for the rest of his life? That is stupid. He should be able to renew in his new jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Chantilly = Fairfax
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#6]
When I moved from Chesterfield to VA Beach, I did change of address with Chesterfield (issuing court). When that permit expired, I renewed with VA Beach by mail. When I moved from VA Beach to Chesapeake, I updated address with VA Beach. Current permit is Chesapeake address issued by VA Beach until this permit expires.

ETA: Forgot to mention the NFA stuff; I notify them of address changes, but from what I remember you aren't required to do so. Hell, NFA branch didn't acknowledge one of my address changes until I had moved again a year later.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Chantilly = Fairfax

Correct, apply for the new.permit in Fairfax,.

NFA, not sure don't have any, but I believe you have to notify atf.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#8]
It's my understanding that you don't have to get your current chp updated with your new address.  You can if you want as described above.  Once you go to renew, you would do that in Fairfax.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#9]
OP asked about change of address, that would be in issuers court.  Its handy to have the address match the drivers license address for ID purposes at places like FFLs.  Renewal would be in Fairfax.

Quoted:
It's my understanding that you don't have to get your current chp updated with your new address.  You can if you want as described above.  Once you go to renew, you would do that in Fairfax.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#10]
As far as the NFA stuff goes it is my understanding that you dont have to notify since you are staying in state its only when you move out of state that you are required to
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Because of the time until your current permit expires, submit a single renewal form. Don't worry about the change of address. Do this in the county you move to. Do nothing for the previous county.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#Renewal

Permit Renewal

Persons  who previously have held a Virginia resident permit shall be
issued, upon  application, a new five-year permit unless there is good
cause shown for  refusing to reissue a permit. The same fees and time
constraints apply in the  instance of renewal. Persons who previously
have been issued a concealed handgun permit are not required to appear
in person to apply for a new five-year permit;  the application for the
new permit may be submitted via the United States mail.  The circuit
court that receives the application shall promptly  notify the applicant
if the application is incomplete or if the fee submitted  is incorrect.

If the  new five-year permit is issued while an existing permit
remains valid, the new  five-year permit shall become effective upon the
expiration date of the existing  permit, provided that the application
is received by the court at least 90 days  but no more than 180 days
prior to the expiration of the existing permit.

As far as your NFA stuff goes, you're not required to notify the BATFE of intrastate moves or transportation of registered NFA devices within your home state. You can if you wish, submit form 5320.20 if you so desire, to notify of a permanent address change in state. If you move out of state, the 5320.20 is required.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:36:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

As far as your NFA stuff goes, you're not required to notify the BATFE of intrastate moves or transportation of registered NFA devices within your home state. You can if you wish, submit form 5320.20 if you so desire, to notify of a permanent address change in state. If you move out of state, the 5320.20 is required.
 [/div]

OP - to offer a second opinion on the NFA stuff, the above is correct!!

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[/div]

OP - to offer a second opinion on the NFA stuff, the above is correct!!

I agree also, but I have always provided ATF w/ my change of address even when moving in state.  If you have a machinegun you HAVE to provide VA state police w/ change of address.  

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Chantilly = Fairfax

Not exactly
Chantilly= Fairfax County
Chantilly=Loudoun (parts of south riding are considered Chantilly)

I live in Chantilly VA
My brother lives in Chantilly Loudoun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chantilly,_Virginia
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Perfect! Will renew in Fairfax County (assuming that's where my new place will be), and won't bother with notifying ATF. Thanks guys!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top