Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2010 5:57:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2010 5:58:57 AM EDT by DogWizard]
So how bad is it really in the DFW area? I will be moving from FL to Plano this month and have become accustomed to carrying almost everywhere. Unfortunately some of the threads and comments here in the HTF make it sound like these 30.06 restrictions are cropping up everywhere. I would expect to have an issues like this in some other states I could mention but Texas? Really...?

While I would never advocate or engage in illegal activity and I'm sure no one else here would either, are people really adhering to these restrictions? I'm not looking forward to being more restricted/less safe...

I'm already baffled by the apparent lack of local shooting ranges and the whole "FMJ ammo-ban" nonsense but this is even more disturbing. Is Texas (or at least the DFW area) really this anti-gun? I've been an active shooter/collector and instructor for over 20 years and the reputation Texas has as a "free state" certainly played a role in our decision making process.

I was really excited about this move but now I'm feeling more concerned than excited - and over things I thought wouldn't be problems. I would really appreciate anyone chiming in on this...

Thanks Much!
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:17:12 AM EDT
I moved here with a Florida CCW. I go about my daily business without any drama. Haven't noticed any 30.06 signs. If I encounter one I'll take my business elsewhere or "Don't ask, don't tell". It IS concealed, right?
I've got a life to live, irregardless of some tards' weak-minded decision making skills.
I'm not much of a drinker these days. A restaurant that also sells alcohol is good to go, as are the theatres and retail outlets I choose to frequent.
I'm blessed to have some family property to shoot on. Only restrictions are safety and don't shoot the cattle.
I think you'll be alright. Welcome to Texas.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:19:28 AM EDT
No place I need to go has a 30.06. One or two places I know that have them, are not enforceable.

I find them very rare.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:27:19 AM EDT
most of the ranges don't want you to use FMJ because it supposedly deteriorates their backstops more quickly. I've never been checked or stopped for FMJ shooting on the range here, though.

CCW will not be a problem here. I have not yet seen a 30.06 sign posted anywhere.

www.texas3006.com is a good resource for locations of 30.06 signs. There are very few here.

I think Dallas is pretty gun-friendly, overall.

I live right near Plano, and carry pretty much everywhere.

You'll love Texas, Welcome!
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:51:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2010 7:01:28 AM EDT by MSC182]
Originally Posted By SouthEndXGF:
most of the ranges don't want you to use FMJ because it supposedly deteriorates their backstops more quickly. I've never been checked or stopped for FMJ shooting on the range here, though.

CCW will not be a problem here. I have not yet seen a 30.06 sign posted anywhere.

www.texas3006.com is a good resource for locations of 30.06 signs. There are very few here.

I think Dallas is pretty gun-friendly, overall.

I live right near Plano, and carry pretty much everywhere.

You'll love Texas, Welcome!

I'm new to CCW-ing but have yet to see an actual 30.06 sign.  I have been looking everywhere I go for the past couple of months and none yet.  Welcome to North TX!

ETA:  If you are in town and free stop by the DallasMeetandGreet
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:40:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DogWizard:
So how bad is it really in the DFW area? I will be moving from FL to Plano this month and have become accustomed to carrying almost everywhere. Unfortunately some of the threads and comments here in the HTF make it sound like these 30.06 restrictions are cropping up everywhere. I would expect to have an issues like this in some other states I could mention but Texas? Really...?

While I would never advocate or engage in illegal activity and I'm sure no one else here would either, are people really adhering to these restrictions? I'm not looking forward to being more restricted/less safe...

I'm already baffled by the apparent lack of local shooting ranges and the whole "FMJ ammo-ban" nonsense but this is even more disturbing. Is Texas (or at least the DFW area) really this anti-gun? I've been an active shooter/collector and instructor for over 20 years and the reputation Texas has as a "free state" certainly played a role in our decision making process.

I was really excited about this move but now I'm feeling more concerned than excited - and over things I thought wouldn't be problems. I would really appreciate anyone chiming in on this...

Thanks Much!

I see relatively few 30.06 signs here in the Austin area, and we've got a lot more libtards around here than DFW.  About the only places I usually see them are hospitals and clinics.  Taco Cabana has them, but they are usually not properly posted and therefore are not legally enforceable (they are generally too small and not "conspicuously posted").

Quite a few places have invalid "No firearms" or the "ghostbusters" type stickers but those are not legally enforceable.  Probably the biggest worry in most places is 51% signs.  Bars are required to post those, although a few fail to or post them where they are very hard to see.  Thankfully it is now a "defense to prosecution" if the bar fails to display 51%...  but it is best to comply with the spirit of the law to be on the safe side in my opinion.  I also generally prefer not to patronize businesses like Taco Cabana with improper 30.06 signage or the other invalid signs just on principle.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:51:52 AM EDT
The only place I recall seeing them is the Plano Public libraries.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:15:57 AM EDT
I got my CHL about a month ago and I have yet to see a single 30.06 sign. I have seen tons of the "ghostbuster" style signs, but I think those are just there to make people hoplophobes feel safe.

Originally Posted By SoftwareJanitor:
Taco Cabana has them, but they are usually not properly posted and therefore are not legally enforceable (they are generally too small and not "conspicuously posted").

I haven't seen any 30.06 signs at the Taco Cabanas up here in DFW, although I have seen them post the "unlicensed possession" signs, but that's just because they serve beer and are under 51%.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 10:53:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bigsapper:
The only place I recall seeing them is the Plano Public libraries.

Which one, I've never seen a 30.06 sign at the  Plano libraries.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:24:16 AM EDT
Harrington & Davis.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:48:45 PM EDT
Well - you guys are making me feel a whole lot better about this. It seems as though my concerns are for the most part unfounded. Thanks for all the responses and the warm welcome. We were out there last month scouting and are really looking forward to the change. See ya' shortly!
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:36:46 PM EDT
I think, for the most part, you'll be able to carry anywhere you did in FL.  BTW, the no FMJ is for rifle ranges only.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:11:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:37:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MSC182:
I think, for the most part, you'll be able to carry anywhere you did in FL.  BTW, the no FMJ is for rifle ranges only.

Actually, no FMJ for rifles is a much bigger issue for me than for pistols. Almost everything I own needs FMJ to shoot at anything resembling a reasonable cost. I have zero interest in re-buying thousands of rounds of HP/SP ammunition just to punch paper. Some older calibers are fairly expensive and it seems like quite a waste.

Any range owners in here that can elaborate on the rationale for this? Is it simply a way to cut maintenance costs and boost margins? I've shot at multiple ranges in multiple states and while I've seen ranges REQUIRE jacketed ammo, I've never seen the reverse. I'm assuming that the outdoor rifle ranges use dirt burms/backstops? I'm just having trouble believing that there something that only happens in Texas that makes them wear out appreciably faster...

Thanks again for the info!

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:51:14 PM EDT
So Hi and welcome to the DFW area
I am in SW Fort Worth

I think the no FMJ is because the do not SELL FMJ
So its  a profit thing IMHO

I carry lots of places
I see the Pistol and circle a lot
Those are NOT Legal no CHL posting

Check it once here

But I think the legal Do not carries are
30.06 and in Spanish and English
1" tall letters and most be posted at the entryway
Need to find my CHL book
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:55:28 PM EDT
I live in Plano and carry every time I leave the house and the only place I have seen 30.06 signs are at bars
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:01:58 PM EDT
It's not nearly as bad as it sounds like - there are a lot of 30.06 threads here because people post about them to bitch. Nobody posts to say that they went to a dozen places today and didn't see any 30.06 signs. I've only seen a dozen or so 30.06 signs since I moved here about 5 years ago, and only a few of those were actually valid.

I've never heard of this FMJ ban stuff. I live in Houston and go to about 6 or so different ranges here, and have never heard of FMJ being prohibited, except that indoor ranges will only let you shoot frangible rifle ammo, since their backstops aren't built to take solid-core rifle bullets.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:28:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2010 7:31:08 PM EDT by renkin2688]
Alpine Range in South Fort Worth has NO FMJ signs all over the range.  What is funny is that you go into the range shop to pay your fees, and they have specials going all the time for FMJ ammo, with signs by them saying "Not for use at Alpine Range".

I also moved from florida to Texas, and CCW in both places.  I didn't mind the length of wait for my CCW Permit to show up here as I was covered by reciprocity with my Florida one.  Seriously, don't worry about the 30.06 and restrictions here.  You hardly ever need to worry about it.  Only time I had to disarm was going to visit my MIL in the hospital.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:14:35 PM EDT
Other than the local gun shows I have been to 1 (ONE) That has had the 30.06 sign properly posted per laid out in the Texas Penal code.  that was Arlington Memorial hospital.  

I live in Plano and I cannot recall any business i have ever gone to that has a 30.06 sign. The only place i visit that it is illegal to carry is to bars occasionally.  they have the 51% restriction.
Top Top