Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2009 7:19:49 PM EST
After 9 years in the Air Force, I've decided i've had all my sanity could take. In about two weeks, I'll be a civilian again, and will be back in Wisconsin.

Probably be somewhere in south central wisconsin.....30-45 minutes from Madison. Will be staying in Portage till i find a more permanent place.

I sure as shit am going to miss CCW and having my 1911 on my hip. Oh well...Maybe one of these decades Doyle's dumb ass will no longer be governor. On the bright side, i can probably make a Frozen Nuts Shoot.

Link Posted: 5/31/2009 8:39:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/31/2009 8:41:49 PM EST by usaboy52]
Welcome back mate. I am moving there myself in July all the way from Australia. I am moving to Neenah. This will be my first ever trip to the US so I am looking forward to it and my wife is looking to seening me afdter nearly 17 to 18 of not seening each other.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 6:37:37 AM EST
I am en route the last week of July to retire in the Green Lake (Ripon) area.

I will miss my CCWs as well.

Meet up and drink some beer on me - we can swap AF stories (I have 21.5 years worth).

V
OUT
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 7:30:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/1/2009 7:31:27 PM EST by lazyengineer]
Originally Posted By NAM:
After 9 years in the Air Force, I've decided i've had all my sanity could take. In about two weeks, I'll be a civilian again, and will be back in Wisconsin.

I'm always troubled by these sort of stories. Is our military leadership so bad that it's driving off all the competent people? What does that leave left running our military? In any event, welcome back. Be prepared for high taxes, but overall there are a lot worse places you could move to than WI. Madison is as goofy as ever.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 4:26:51 AM EST

Probably be somewhere in south central wisconsin.....30-45 minutes from Madison. Will be staying in Portage till i find a more permanent place.

I sure as shit am going to miss CCW and having my 1911 on my hip. Oh well...Maybe one of these decades Doyle's dumb ass will no longer be governor. On the bright side, i can probably make a Frozen Nuts Shoot.

that's about what happened to me. i left the air force 18 months ago due to a couple of things, but mostly the toll it took on my wife when i was deployed. they've since gone to deployed 6 months, home 6 months, repeat.

what did you do? I was a CE bubba...
have to catch a beer someday

later
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 4:32:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/2/2009 4:33:33 AM EST by variable]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

I'm always troubled by these sort of stories. Is our military leadership so bad that it's driving off all the competent people? What does that leave left running our military? In any event, welcome back. Be prepared for high taxes, but overall there are a lot worse places you could move to than WI. Madison is as goofy as ever.

Yup, incompetent leadership, no money or manning. I put my retirement off to gen up an outside the wire op for my troops. We worked a 7 on and 1 off schedule. My past experiences in Iraq helped out in creating the unit, but my Capt and I fought everyone above us EVERY DAY because they were more concerned about weekly award programs and building paint colors than us outside the wire working on 5 hours of sleep.

Enough was enough, even if I am offerered E-8 to stay in.

At least they do not tax retirement pay in WI.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 9:20:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By usaboy52:
Welcome back mate. I am moving there myself in July all the way from Australia. I am moving to Neenah. This will be my first ever trip to the US so I am looking forward to it and my wife is looking to seening me afdter nearly 17 to 18 of not seening each other.

So where you moving up from? Moved here from Clayton, VIC myself in 90. Get ready for the long cold winters. If ya are into road racing, Road America is just across the lake from Neenah. The American Lemans series/touring car races are in August there.

Link Posted: 6/2/2009 9:37:54 AM EST
Originally Posted By variable:
Yup, incompetent leadership, no money or manning. I put my retirement off to gen up an outside the wire op for my troops. We worked a 7 on and 1 off schedule. My past experiences in Iraq helped out in creating the unit, but my Capt and I fought everyone above us EVERY DAY because they were more concerned about weekly award programs and building paint colors than us outside the wire working on 5 hours of sleep.

I wish i had at least that. Might have a little disability coming in, but most likely little to nothing. I'll find out if i made E-6 the day before I ETS. not that it matters....lol...

But i agree 100%. You only get to the top by stepping on those that help you. Unless you've got kneepads or a brown nose, you'll never make it to the top.

It's been fun. I'm glad i've served. But i've had enough. I'm done being treated like a child.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 10:05:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/2/2009 10:07:29 AM EST by variable]
Originally Posted By variable:

I wish i had at least that. Might have a little disability coming in, but most likely little to nothing. I'll find out if i made E-6 the day before I ETS. not that it matters....lol...

But i agree 100%. You only get to the top by stepping on those that help you. Unless you've got kneepads or a brown nose, you'll never make it to the top.

It's been fun. I'm glad i've served. But i've had enough. I'm done being treated like a child.

Very well said.

What AFSC?

I am 3P0X1 (SF).

V
OUT
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 11:21:09 AM EST
3C0X1... computer sys operator.

Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:39:11 PM EST
Originally Posted By Rob940:

So where you moving up from? Moved here from Clayton, VIC myself in 90. Get ready for the long cold winters. If ya are into road racing, Road America is just across the lake from Neenah. The American Lemans series/touring car races are in August there.

I am moving from Canberra Australia
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 7:27:56 AM EST

I know Aussie land isn't too friendly with firearms....

If you want to have some fun when you get to WI, drop me a line. .50 BMG, M10/45 subgun, AC-556 machinegun, nummerous suppressors...

All kinds of stuff they don't allow down under. :-)
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 11:17:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/3/2009 11:25:29 AM EST by Murooka]

You can still go for a stroll with your 1911 on your hip, you just have to do it openly.
I think you and I have some serious range time to make up buddy.
ETA: And I've got some new toys to showcase to ya, including this bad boy.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 1:13:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By Murooka:
You can still go for a stroll with your 1911 on your hip, you just have to do it openly.
I think you and I have some serious range time to make up buddy.
ETA: And I've got some new toys to showcase to ya, including this bad boy.
http://remtek.com/arms/imi/galil/762/ar/762ar.gif

yeah.... and gotta unload and case my sidearm before entering my vehicle. You know, it's all about the poaching.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 10:03:45 AM EST
You may want to rethink where you want to settle down. Check out the impending budget bill that the lemmings are going to pass this next week. It increases every tax and fee possible. There are paybacks to lawyers in the form of changing joint and several liablility law and forcing everyone to triple their car insurance coverage. Increases in gas tax, sales tax, garbage tax, you name it, its going up.. A payoff to the teachers union in the form of eliminating the QEO, so we will be seeing yearly double digit increases in property taxes. Ramping up the welfare state again. In-state tuition for illegal aliens, whom, by the way get preferential admission to Wisc colleges. Provisions for any state employee to get full benefits for their shack ups.
This will be a dying state. Business and productive high earners will get the hell out of here leaving the people who can't leave a TAX HELL. The sheep in this state don't realize it but their debt load is as bad per capita as Callifornia. This is going to make things so much worse.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 12:36:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By ehryciuk:
You may want to rethink where you want to settle down. Check out the impending budget bill that the lemmings are going to pass this next week. It increases every tax and fee possible. There are paybacks to lawyers in the form of changing joint and several liablility law and forcing everyone to triple their car insurance coverage. Increases in gas tax, sales tax, garbage tax, you name it, its going up.. A payoff to the teachers union in the form of eliminating the QEO, so we will be seeing yearly double digit increases in property taxes. Ramping up the welfare state again. In-state tuition for illegal aliens, whom, by the way get preferential admission to Wisc colleges. Provisions for any state employee to get full benefits for their shack ups.
This will be a dying state. Business and productive high earners will get the hell out of here leaving the people who can't leave a TAX HELL. The sheep in this state don't realize it but their debt load is as bad per capita as Callifornia. This is going to make things so much worse.

LOL, gotta love Doyle.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 1:09:10 PM EST
i want ot stay in ND. don't get me wrong. but the jobs don't want to pay for shit. I'll be making $10 more per hour in WI than in ND.

My father isn't doing so well, and my grandfather is getting up in age. They are my two closest family members. When their time has come and gone, that might be a good time for me to reevaluate, and possibly come back to ND. But for now, I really don't have any options. WI it is.

Hopefully Doyle (insert reason for leaving office) soon. I really am going to miss my CCW.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:31:46 AM EST
Nam,
I'd really place the moves motive on your family. The $10 more will be eaten up in taxes/fees most likely.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:56:56 AM EST
Originally Posted By Kassnar:
Nam,
I'd really place the moves motive on your family. The $10 more will be eaten up in taxes/fees most likely.

still technically a WI resident, so i still pay WI taxes. So there shoudln't be much of a change beyond cost of living.

now...when i buy a house.....yeah....that's gonna be a hit.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 4:49:36 PM EST
join us, the emperor has foreseen it
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 11:31:56 AM EST
Arrived around noon today. I'm going to bed. lol..went straight through teh night.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:25:24 AM EST
Arrived around noon today. I'm going to bed. lol..went straight through teh night.

You lucky bastard!

I keep a short timers calender marking down the days until the 28th of July.

Can't wait to meet you.

V
OUT

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 12:46:58 PM EST
I started counting around day 115 or so. :-P

Start the new job Tuesday. Also got paperwork from the VA for disability related stuff, so we'll see how that goes. From what i hear, i may or may not have an answer sometime before i die. lol...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:12:42 AM EST
Pulled into the KwikTrip in Portage, what do I see? A bolt faced logo on a truck.

Stopped the guy and who is it? Nam.

Nice to meet you Nam. I enjoyed our chat.

Dan
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:20:37 AM EST
3C0X1... computer sys operator.

Me too! When I retired in '97 after 20yrs, 4mo, and 29 days.

Grew up in Ripon to boot!

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:25:11 AM EST
Originally Posted By Unique1:
Pulled into the KwikTrip in Portage, what do I see? A bolt faced logo on a truck.

Stopped the guy and who is it? Nam.

Nice to meet you Nam. I enjoyed our chat.

Dan

Same here. I forgot the screename, but now i know. lol..

I'll have to make one of the next WI HTF gatherings. Now i just need to find a place to set up the reloading bench to start cranking out ammo...it's just as hard to find here as it was in ND.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:26:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/15/2009 10:29:08 AM EST by Bob-26]
[/quote]

Very well said.

What AFSC?

I am 3P0X1 (SF).
V
OUT[/quote]

I went from Army to AF 3PO51 for a couple years and never saw so many people trying to screw over each other...went back to the Army and much happier now

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:50:41 AM EST
[

I went from Army to AF 3PO51 for a couple years and never saw so many people trying to screw over each other...went back to the Army and much happier now

That is why I am getting out.

FTAF.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:00:13 PM EST
I've always heard the biggest thiefs and backstabbers are SP/SF
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:36:13 PM EST
It is not the careerfield but the AF in general. BTW I heard the same about shitty people and thieves with all other AFSCs except Cops...

Careerism and civilianizing positions has brought our Air Force to near failure.

Mark my words. The next campaign outside of Astan will take a toll/loss on our Air Force and its equipment like no other military event yet.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:52:42 PM EST

Welcome back and thanks for your service. If you need any info on Madison, let me know...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:43:52 AM EST

As long as you aren't throwing MP's into there, I've got shy over 30 days 'til range mayhem commences.
I hope you know of a place. 3 around mine, but haven't gotten time to look at any yet.
I'm guessing they're private, gotta know someone to get membership, yada yada yada.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:17:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By Murooka:

As long as you aren't throwing MP's into there, I've got shy over 30 days 'til range mayhem commences.
I hope you know of a place. 3 around mine, but haven't gotten time to look at any yet.
I'm guessing they're private, gotta know someone to get membership, yada yada yada.

There's always the dells range. However, there is an awesome setup not too far south of Portage. 1200 yards @ winnequah...but a more detailed membership process.
Top Top