Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 3:52:30 AM EDT
Anyone know who moves gun safes in Northern VA?  I bought a 35-gun safe from Gander Mountain (on sale, 10% off for getting their credit card and a $100 rebate to boot).  Problem is getting it home to Stafford.  I spoke with two safe delivery companies and each wanted about $160 an hour for delivery with a total quoted price of $500 - ouch....The safe is 880lbs and it has to go down about 7 steps into the basement.  I'm going to also try moving companies in Fredericksburg to see wha they may charge - or I may just break out the German Crystal Weizten Beer an have a "delivery party!"  Thanks for the help.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:58:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Offer a bunch of your buddies beer and pizza to help out.  Oh, and don't forget the refrigerator dolly.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:46:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:58:07 AM EDT
[#3]
$500 is not a bad price considering how dangerous moving a safe is.  I had a buddy tear his left bicep.  Do you have to put it in the basement?  It will be a bitch to get down and a bigger bitch to get back up.  You can….   line the steps with cardboard and slide it down.  I would put a mattress, couch cushions and some pillows at the bottom and expect a hell of a ride.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:20:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I install boilers in basements.  Some are nearly the same weight.  I lay oak planks on the steps, put a nylon sling around the boiler and lower with a come-along.  In this case, friction is your friend!!

If you are not used to doing this type thing, hire someone who is!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:16:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought my safe from VA Safe and Lock and paid them $150 to delivery it and bring mine into the house.  It took 3 guys and their robot thing to bring it in.  Took about 45minutes.  The robot has tracks like a tank.  Well worth the $150 to have them deliver it.  There's no way I could have done it.  980lb safe over my deck.  Had to remove the rear door off the hinges to get it through there.  I also had them install a digital keypad lock and incadesent internal strip lighting which included a 4 jack 120v power strip inside and a goldenrod.  Gonna need another soon.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#6]
My safe wouldn't fit in my house So it sits out in the garage
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:33:41 AM EDT
[#7]
just so you know....the anesthesiologist for my hernia surgery wasnt covered by insurance. it cost me $675 out of pocket. so any moving cost less than $600 is money WELL spent.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:41:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Do the stairs have carpet on them? How wide is the hallway? Any overhead obstructions?

Dolly, piano board, come-along.

I used to be a mover
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:44:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Steves safes.  (703) 5734394 He is the Fort Knox dealer at all the big gun shows.  He delivered my safe, and deliveres the safes for all my customers.  Very good guy to deal with and more than resonable price.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:52:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I bought my safe from VA Safe and Lock...

Me too.....and I believe they will move any safe you have.

You can find them via a google search....they are on Port Royal Rd Springfield VA.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Steves safes.  (703) 5734394 He is the Fort Knox dealer at all the big gun shows.  He delivered my safe, and deliveres the safes for all my customers.  Very good guy to deal with and more than resonable price.  

yup, Steve's got the robot too and if i recall, he told me that if ever need to to move my safe - ie if i moved to another house, he'll do it for around 250 or so - but that was a few years back.
DD
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:09:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I install boilers in basements.  Some are nearly the same weight.  I lay oak planks on the steps, put a nylon sling around the boiler and lower with a come-along.  In this case, friction is your friend!!

If you are not used to doing this type thing, hire someone who is!!

I'm picking up a safe this weekend too.
72" x 54" x 32" - 1/4" body, 3/4" door - One heavy sucka!

MM - How do you anchor the come-along at the top?  

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:17:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
yup, Steve's got the robot too and if i recall, he told me that if ever need to to move my safe - ie if i moved to another house, he'll do it for around 250 or so.

He does, Steve can do anything with a safe.  I would normally quote a price for Steve, but being that the safe is at Gander Mountain I will refrain.  Either way it will be resonable.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#14]
880 lbs is a LIGHTWEIGHT.   Move it yourself with a couple buddies

This is why I bought locally from a SAFE COMPANY.

They offered delivery for only $100.

3 guys did my 1300 lb safe with only straps and plastic rollers.

They slide it down my basement stairs with one guy below, 1 guy at the top holding the straps and lowering it down.  Guy at the top just braced his feet on the door well and fed out strap by hand.

They took one strap and wrapped it around the safe, the other was hooked to it for lowering.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#15]
You could always remove the door, then move each piece individually.  Most Safe doors are just as heavy or close to the weight of the safe body, and just sit on pins.  You should be able to lever it right off the hinges.

If you can remove the door, moving it in two parts with an appliance card and buddies is the inexpensive way to go.

Just be sure to keep you're fingers out of the way when putting the door back on.  Remember, skin and flanges don't stand up to steel and weight.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:10:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the suggestions guys - I don't mind paying $200-300 to have it moved, but $500 just isn't right.  I did speak with VA Safe & Lock and they were also $500.  I'll call Steve and see what he can do for me.  As for the refrigerator dolly and burly neighbors - last resort as all my neighbors tip the scales at about 165lbs!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I've moved 55 gallon barrels of water all by myself. That's about 500 lbs.

The key is always leverage.  In the case of the barrels, I tipped them on edge and rolled them.   I even dropped one, and was able to get it upright by myself.

880 lbs sounds like a lot, but probably 2 of you can move it easily, if you work smart.

Get some round plastic rods to roll it on - tough ABS pipes would work.

Rent a good dolly, get some straps and you can easily lower it down the stairs too.

The trick is to not handle all the weight.   Example - I assume they will take the safe out to your truck.

If the safe is sitting next to the tail gate, you tip it over and rest it on the edge.  Now 2 of you can slide it up into the bed, since the truck is taking much of the weight.

Hell, I can move my 1300 lb safe around the basement a bit  by myself if I need to.    Tip a little, rotate, etc...
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a 1000 lb safe, I moved it with the help of two of my friends. Rent a truck with a lift gate ($70) and a set of piano jacks ($25). The only other thing I needed was a set of come alongs to strap the piano jacks together. Of course it's sitting in my dining room right now (I love my wife). As far as down to the basement, some old carpet or boards on the steps and a come along or straps. Depending on the entrance to your basement, maybe a 4x4 or pipe above the top to support either a block and tackle or just wrap a strap around a pipe one complete time and secure the pipe. Never put a safe in a basement but I've moved plenty of furnaces, fuel oil tanks etc into basements and a lot of equipment on my old ship.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I like my Zannoti safe - it breaks down into 6l manageable pieces
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

As far as down to the basement, some old carpet or boards on the steps and a come along or straps. .

You don't need it.  It will slide right down your steps with nothing on them.

As I said, 1 guy, not Arnold either, was able to lower my 1300 pounder by himself just bracing his feet on the door frame, wrapping the strap around himself and paying it out.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Some of us have cement steps like my old place. As I said, I'm not sure what his set up is. I'm throwing out a number of different things that have worked for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top