Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 1:48:54 PM EDT
I hope I dont set off a flame fest but here it goes.....

I want to move to your beautiful state! I come from a state to the south of you and starts with a C.
I have heard stories that you natives dont like us transplants to much, so here is a bit of informations about the move...

I will not be selling a home for a bizzilion dollars and coming up ther to raise your property values. I will be a renter!!!! (Maybe by a small house). I would just be me (and dog), not a car load of  Californians. I will not be bringing any weird political views with me! I am a veteran of the Army, Navy and Air Force. I am an avid shooter. I teach combat pistols and safety course down here. So if you start a posse to come burn a California flag on my lawn, I will be more than happy to help!!!!!

So I am looking for a nice place live. Gun frendly and kind of rural w/ lots of nature! I was looking at Astoria or along the coast. But nothing east of the mountians. Was in Bend felt like killing myself...damn volcano rock! In about 2 years I will be making a trip up that way to scout out some locations. The move will not happen for about 4 years. Gotta wait for my youngest to gradimate the high school.

I am a computer analyst so a job in that field would be ok. So my question to you natives, where is a nice place to live.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I think more Oregonians than will admit are transplants from elsewhere.  I moved here with my parents when I was in High School.  I am now attending OSU, and also looking at where I want to live when I get out.  Oregon is on the list along with other places.  I am looking to be near a city because of the field I am studying (EE and ME), but I would like to live out of town, on some land.  The place that impresses me is south of Wilsonville, you transition very quickly from the city feel to a country feel, and you can be in down town Portland in 30-40 minutes.  I would be interested in what others recommend, as I am not really all that knowledgeable on all the areas.

-David
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#3]

You'll have to wait for most of the other board members to post on a good place to live with a job in your field, I'm from hickville and am just a "militant country boy"

He's actually quite famous, our own little movie star.  May have seen him as the star of Broke Back Mountain.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
... I'm from hickville and am just a "militant country boy"

Peta and his son:

j/k!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Land goes from $500,000 an acre near Portland to $1,000 in the boonies.  Pick the closest area you can afford and still make the commute. Cost of the actual house is the same no matter where.

If you can find a job in one of the small towns like Astoria you have it made.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I want to stay away from any "Big" cities. Im looking for something like Hope!

(Hope was the city that Rambo blew up in Rambo 1, but it's in Canada)

The Goonies sold me on Astoria.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I forgot to ask, what is the cost of living like up there??

I make about 85-90K a year down here but I stil cant afford a house. I'm paying 1375 a month for a 2 bedroom apt.

Whats it like up there????

Chris
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#9]
4 bedroom uppity house in Portland Technology house (about 1800 sq. ft) = ~280K
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I think more Oregonians than will admit are transplants from elsewhere.

Woodland Park Hospital, beotch.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think more Oregonians than will admit are transplants from elsewhere.

Woodland Park Hospital, beotch.

Douglas community, Roseburg OR

But it's not gonna really matter for him, 4 years down the road, so many possibilities that could happen.
We could all have machine guns by then and there would be no room for "transplants"
He could be choosing between Oregon or the state of Jefferson!!!!
He could have been swallowed up by the huge earthquake that will suck Kalifornistan into the Pacific

Sacred Heart, Eugene, OR

As long as you are pro-gun and like minded, then you're alright.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Peta and his son:

img208.imageshack.us/img208/967/palboywmachinegun9sk.jpg

j/k!

^Um, my man and son are Waaaaaay cuter than these too!!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:31:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Peta and his son:

img208.imageshack.us/img208/967/palboywmachinegun9sk.jpg

j/k!

^Um, my man and son are Waaaaaay cuter than these too!!!

I know, but it was the only picture I could find.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#16]
<---- recent Kali transplant here.  Short version: Oregon rocks and you will love breathing the air of a free state when you move here.

I forgot to ask, what is the cost of living like up there??

At least 8.5% lower than KA since there's no sales tax here.  I live in a Portland suburb and things generally are noticably cheaper here (except at chain restaurants).  The wife and I can have a nice breakfast at a decent restaurant for like $12-15.  Couldn't touch that in the Bay Area (where we were from).

According to this website, living costs could be as low as 35% lower than KA, depending on what town you moved from in KA, where you move to in OR, if you will rent here or buy a house, etc.  Gas, even though it is all Full Serve here, is cheaper by at least $0.20/gal.  

I have no idea about the job situation for IT work in the smaller towns.  That's one of the challenges of living in OR, not quite as many job opportunities as KA, but KA isn't all that great a job market when you compare to other places so it's all relative.

IM me if you want to know any more.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks Hartman,
I was looking at the site and it looks good cash wise. Now I just need to find a area. I hear the coast is getting expensive due to it becoming a tourist area. But man I love that area!

Anyone from around that neck of the woods?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#18]
You'd better like the rain if you're going to live on the wet west side of the state.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Yup, Im ok with rain, fog and generally crappy weather :)
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Yup, Im ok with rain, fog and generally crappy weather :)

The valley isn't that bad.  Just rains most of fall, all of winter, and most of spring.    It's damn near perfect late spring through early fall though.  Some of the best weather in the country during that time. The coast is going to be especially shitty though.  If it isn't raining, it's foggy.  ALWAYS.  Well not always but pretty damn close.  It's usually foggy all summer.  But the week of the year it's nice on the coast, it's beautiful.  My advice is to stick to the valley for living and a job, and just visit the coast.    Bend is growing rapidly too, and is a lot drier than the wet side.  Not sure what the job situation is though, most likely jobs relating to outdoor recreation, tourism, etc.  And Medford is another idea, but it's too damn close to CA for my tastes.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Thanks Hartman,
I was looking at the site and it looks good cash wise. Now I just need to find a area. I hear the coast is getting expensive due to it becoming a tourist move to area for ex-Californian's. But man I love that area!

Anyone from around that neck of the woods?

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#23]
And, I would like to know, just what is wrong with a little volcanic rock?

You need to check out some areas around Bend, like Prineville. Housing is still cheaper there, about 45 min from Bend, and you can drive east a bit and get into the Ochocos and out of that nasty volcanic rock.

If Prineville is too big there is always Saniko (pop 27 IIRC), and if that's too big you can head south toward Christmas Valley and settle in Wagontire (pop 2).

Also, as a native Orygonian, I have this to say to anyone wanting to move here from CA
Welcome to Orygun!

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#24]
If you end up in the valley, you are really in a prime location. about 1.5 hours in either direction and you can be at the coast, skiing in the mountains, or visiting the big city.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:21:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't know about Astoria.  Think San Francisco, but about 1/100th the size.  Even has a big bridge and everything.  Awesome sailing there, however.

If you don't like rain, and hate volcanic rock, try the east side of the mountains at the north end of the state.  Unfortunately, there's not many jobs there, especially for computer stuff.  An exception might be The Dalles.  Decent sized city about 1.5 hours east of Portland right on the river.

Here's a tip:  save up some cash before you come here since we can have AR's and NFA stuff!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:53:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Can't commiserate with transplants myself -- Good Sam, Portland -- but I sure do welcome folks with your views regardless of where they're from.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:59:03 AM EDT
[#27]
I was born at Lower Umpqua in Reedsport

Move up early and commute. I know people who fly to Salt Lake, LA, and the Bay area on Sunday night and back home on Thursday afternoon.  As long as you stay outside the metro areas, and Multnomah County for that matter, you shouldn't have much problem.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:02:07 AM EDT
[#28]
I think Ill be OK cash wise....taking all my retirement money out and gonna use it to find a place up there. (And buy NFA STUFF!!!!)

I have a buddy that lives in Baker City, he loves it. But I need some trees!!!!

Chris
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I think Ill be OK cash wise....taking all my retirement money out and gonna use it to find a place up there.

Tell me you're kidding. The penalties, taxes, and lost growth, never to be recaptured will be staggering.

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think Ill be OK cash wise....taking all my retirement money out and gonna use it to find a place up there.

Tell me you're kidding. The penalties, taxes, and lost growth, never to be recaptured will be staggering.

+1

Don't do it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Don't do it.

I work for a county agency down here. It's there are no issues with pulling my money out. I have already looked into that.

I plan on working another 20 years anyway. So just gonna have to start over :)
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#33]
So many good choices already mentioned.

The one thing I can add is that be mindful of where you buy due to the Oregon growth laws.  They can make it pretty difficult to do things to your property in some areas (especially rural areas outside the urban growth boundary).  In four years though, who knows.  They are being looked at again now (and no one knows which way things will lean).

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think Ill be OK cash wise....taking all my retirement money out and gonna use it to find a place up there. (And buy NFA STUFF!!!!)

Chris

IMHO Baker City is one of the most beautifull places in Oregon, plenty of trees there too.  My first choice would be LaGrande, but Baker is a close second!

Baker City is awesome.  Really, anywhere in the NE corner of the state/Blue Mountains is awesome.  Jobs might be hard to find though.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The valley isn't that bad.  Just rains most of fall, all of winter, and most of spring.

Two seasons: the rainy season and the Fourth of July.

You have four years to be making a few trips up here to look around and check things out, and has already been mentioned, a lot of things can change in four years.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#36]
I would move to Klamath Falls or Lagrande. (I was raised in Bend and currently live in Burns)
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

IMHO Baker City is one of the most beautifull places in Oregon, plenty of trees there too.  My first choice would be LaGrande, but Baker is a close second!

Baker City is in the Blue Mountains surrounded by Doug Fir trees.  I can't imagine why your buddy would say there isn't any trees there but Petagunner is correct LaGrande is prettier.  Its a hard town to move too as they are very tight niched and do not allow insiders in easily.  They say its because of the college but I think there's a lot old bitties that are tightly knitted.  I had a shoe in as I was born in LaGrande [I went to college there].  It was a huge shoe in mind you as I only lived that one day there but I milked it for all it was worth and was able to get a job [which was difficult in the mid 80s.]

Patty
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#38]
the area surrounding Klamath falls all the way east of me in lakeview is just beautiful country. land is still very reasonable as well. Not many jobs in lakeview, but K-falls would be a pretty good option.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Eastside = Sunglasses

Doesn't Bend average over 300 days of sunshine a year?

Most likely but in Bend you'll have the Californians Redflag is fleeing from, high real estate [property value is 2nd in cost only to the coast], low wages, traffic [its suppose to be better but I tell you its not any where near what it was when I was growing up and people used to complain then].  I hate Bend.

I would advise Redflag to move to your area Peta.  Its not too far from where he's from and if I read correctly your economy is growing and at the least pretty stable.

Patty
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I was in Bend a couple years ago with the California Army National Guard. We were fighting the Or Nat Guard. Got our asses handed to us because they use 3 Hummer scout platoons vs our 2 hummers...they had more firepower :(. Our 2 .50 M2's vs 3 M2's or 2 M2's and a TOW missle system..... uggggg not nice.

We did scare the crap of a Hummer drive on an ambush, he crashed into a tree. Injured himself and broke the hip of the gunner in the hatch. I still fell bad about that.

Got to go into Bend to take showers at the Armory. People were nice to us. We were flying the Ca flag, folks would come and ask us about it and look at our gear. Nothing like 10 Hummers coming off the line with full combat gear to make someone stop and stare. Everything was the same color....DUST! Our uniforms matched our hummers. You couldnt even tell they were green!

The only thing I didnt like about Bend was the weather. To damn hot. I can get that here. Chris
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I was in Bend a couple years ago with the California Army National Guard. We were fighting the Or Nat Guard. Got our asses handed to us because they use 3 Hummer scout platoons vs our 2 hummers...they had more firepower :(. Our 2 .50 M2's vs 3 M2's or 2 M2's and a TOW missle system..... uggggg not nice.

We did scare the crap of a Hummer drive on an ambush, he crashed into a tree. Injured himself and broke the hip of the gunner in the hatch. I still fell bad about that.

Got to go into Bend to take showers at the Armory. People were nice to us. We were flying the Ca flag, folks would come and ask us about it and look at our gear. Nothing like 10 Hummers coming off the line with full combat gear to make someone stop and stare. Everything was the same color....DUST! Our uniforms matched our hummers. You couldnt even tell they were green!

The only thing I didnt like about Bend was the weather. To damn hot. I can get that here.

Chris

Humm......Actually it gets pretty dang cold in Bend in the winter.  At least I've froze my hiney off my fair share of the time there.  Take a look at the Valley if the heat is a factor.  It gets hotter here where I live [partly due to moi' living here! ] then Bend.  

Patty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top