Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 4:59:30 PM EDT
I was originally planning on opening  a small manufacturing shop in the Pittsburg, PA area, but due to circumstances outside of my control, I am opening the doors in the Chicago-land area.

I'm looking for a industrial location in Chicago with about the same amount of space as a two or three car garage.  

Does anyone know of anything right off the top of their heads?

I'll be in town in January and hooking up with an RE agent then.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#1]
FWIW, stay away  from the evil republik of Illinoisie.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#2]
As much as I would like to avoid the gun-hating big city, the girlfriend is a consultant for a large firm in Chicago and needs to stay within fifty or so miles of the big, scary city.  

Part of our business's plan for growth is a move to a more friendly, more rural area in the next five years.  

But for now, we're committed to Chi-town.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Any thoughts on DuPage County?

Also, ideally we would be close to O'Hare or to the train - as the g/f flies out of O'Hare every week.

Thanks for the tip to Kendall and Will County... I'm looking at information right now.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Move to northwest indiana.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I grew up in Fort Wayne, Indiana.  

I live in fear of Gary, Indiana.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Any thoughts on DuPage County?

Also, ideally we would be close to O'Hare or to the train - as the g/f flies out of O'Hare every week.

Thanks for the tip to Kendall and Will County... I'm looking at information right now.

DuPage would be a good place. Are you looking to buy or rent your home? Let me know when you're going to be in town. If you're looking for a realtor I know a couple good ones. As for DuPage, there are a few Metra commuter train routes that run into the city. I highly recommend if she needs to travel into the city every day, that she uses Metra rail. Commuting here is stressing, to say the least.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:12:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm on the Lake/McHenry border. I am about an hour from Chicago in good traffic. I know that industrial condos around here can be had for as little as $800 per month in the exact same business park as Krebs Custom Firearms. Shoot me an IM if you need a hand.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:23:52 AM EDT
[#10]
If your gf has to go to O'Hare every week. you might want to consider Cook county even though they are the most anti gun county in IL(I would stick to west of O'Hare).  I used to travel a bit and it's a pain in the ass getting to and fro.  Worst is when you get back at O'Hare on a Friday afternoon/evening.  

If Cook is too awful check out Dupage/Lake/McHenry solely based on being close to O'Hare.  Cost are crazy here.  If you live in a county that is not adjacent to Cook, prices are much better.

I'm waiting to move to WI.  They have everything minus CCW.  Blue state but much more gun friendly.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:48:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I would go with the southwest suburbs...also close to the train.
Admittedly flying out of O'Hare will be a PITA..but it's somewhat close.
There are a lot of areas that have buildings for lease...If you visit, see if you can pick up a free publication that lists what commercial property is for sale.

Stay away from Harvey, Robbins, Dixmoor, Markham, for those are the (for lack of a better term) ghetto.

There are a lot of nice towns, Oak Lawn, Alsip, Crestwood, Orland Park, to name a few.  

If you have any questions feel free to ask...FWIW I lived in Oak Lawn for a time and went to school there for a year.  

Edit-the above suburbs, except for a part of Orland Park that's in Will county are in Cook, yes it's not very gun friendly but you can have your AR's and your other "toys", but no class 3 stuff, and no CCW.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#12]
If you want to be near OHare but outside of Chicago and Crook County, consider Bensenville or Addison. There are many industrial parks there. Both suburbs are in the more gun friendly DuPage County
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#13]
But if you consider Bensenville, avoid locating east of York road because they are going to expand O'Hare and the City of Chicago will be taking everything east of York Road.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#14]
You may want to check out the towns along the Burlington/SanteFe tracks, BNSF on the metra map provided above.

This will put you in a very central location with access to O Hare airport and the train for commuting into the city.

Lisle has alot of industrial parks and actually the whole length along I-88 is called the Technology Corridor in DuPage County.

I live and grew up in DuPage County.  I have been here and seen it go from rural w/small towns to being full blown suburbia.  Dupage is one of the richest counties in the country. If something is available in the US you can get it in DuPage County.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
But if you consider Bensenville, avoid locating east of York road because they are going to expand O'Hare and the City of Chicago will be taking everything east of York Road.

Daley wants to annex parts of Dupage county into his thug empire, but it won't happen. Do your part by denying tax money to Chicago and Crook County.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Daley wants to annex parts of Dupage county into his thug empire, but it won't happen. Do your part by denying tax money to Chicago and Crook County.

I am afraid it will.  I own property in the affected (afflicted) area.  It will be taken, its only a matter of time.  The State Assembly passed the legislation allowing Chicago to "quick-take" property for the expansion and the FAA has now given them the go ahead.  Bensenville and Elk Grove will fight the good fight to the bitter end but ultimately it will go through.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am afraid it will.  I own property in the affected (afflicted) area.  It will be taken, its only a matter of time.  The State Assembly passed the legislation allowing Chicago to "quick-take" property for the expansion and the FAA has now given them the go ahead.  Bensenville and Elk Grove will fight the good fight to the bitter end but ultimately it will go through.

If you meekly surrender your property to Chicago, then yes it will be taken.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#18]
cynical bunch

Don't worry, we all shoot as much as we can, we can buy whatever we want unless it's full auto or silenced. There are a lot of shooters in Chicagoland, you will not be alone. We are not under siege by Chicago (for the most part). And we need more pro second ammendment people so we can join the rest of the country in exercising our right to conceal carry.

What kind of welcome to Illinois is this thread?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#19]
45Ron, thanks for the positive outlook...

Everyone has been very forthright with both information and advice- and I thank each and everyone of you for that.

Our condo is on Cooper St - in Chicago.  We're looking for shop space as we speak.  It's a bit challenging as one half of the us I refer to is down in Mexico four days a week with work right now.  Damn white collar job... if the check wasn't so damn nice to see every two weeks I'd convince her to work with me in the shop full time.  

So, no concealed carry in Chicago?  No Class III in Chicago - or none in the whole state?  

What about 07 FFL holders... are we free in Chicago still?  I don't imagine that anyone has limited that yet - have they?  

Can anyone recommend a good real estate agent or, better yet, is anyone a good real estate agent?  We're looking for around 800 to 1200 sq ft of industrial space... no storefront, etc.  Hopefully something with access to the rails and in a fairly secure area.  Maybe even leased from a larger shop or some option like that.  I thought about calling DSA or Airgun Designs, etc...

Thanks again.  

One more question... I'm a Hoosier, from Indiana naturally... what do you call someone from IL?

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
45Ron, thanks for the positive outlook...

Everyone has been very forthright with both information and advice- and I thank each and everyone of you for that.

Our condo is on Cooper St - in Chicago.  We're looking for shop space as we speak.  It's a bit challenging as one half of the us I refer to is down in Mexico four days a week with work right now.  Damn white collar job... if the check wasn't so damn nice to see every two weeks I'd convince her to work with me in the shop full time.  

So, no concealed carry in Chicago?  No Class III in Chicago - or none in the whole state?  

What about 07 FFL holders... are we free in Chicago still?  I don't imagine that anyone has limited that yet - have they?  

Can anyone recommend a good real estate agent or, better yet, is anyone a good real estate agent?  We're looking for around 800 to 1200 sq ft of industrial space... no storefront, etc.  Hopefully something with access to the rails and in a fairly secure area.  Maybe even leased from a larger shop or some option like that.  I thought about calling DSA or Airgun Designs, etc...

Thanks again.  

One more question... I'm a Hoosier, from Indiana naturally... what do you call someone from IL?

No CCW in the whole state.  No Class 3 in the whole state.  No gun ownership in Chicago, but I think you might already know that.

I think we're called "Illinoisians", Wisconsin calls us "FIBs"(F*****g Illinois Bastard)...I hope someday to call Indiana "Home."
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I have nothing but fond memories of my youth in Indiana.  It's truely a great place.  It is.  It took me more than ten years of wondering the world to figure that out.  In fact, after eight years in the Army and a trip or two as a well armed tourist to Asia, it was Connecticut that opened my eyes to the midwest.  Nowhere in this country are people more geniune and friendly as in the midwest.

There are 07 FFL holders in IL, so I imagine that there isn't any problem with that... which means, some can have and even build fullauto toys.  I'm hoping Chicago doesn't squash that.  I'll have to call and find out tommorow.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#22]
the last attempt at an AWB would've effectively kicked out ALL gun manufacturers in the state of IL, SA, RRA, DSA et al. so don't think that Chicago doesn't have that much of a influence. To my knowledge there are NO FFLs within the city limits. there are gun stores located about ONE block from the city boundaries but the city does put up much fight to have them closed due to the proximaty of city.

If Mexico is the only country that your GF flies to internationally, know that Midway IS an international airport with flights to various mexican cities daily. that will open up Joliet and Will county to you and make it that much more viable. Midway has excellent long term parking (over 1 day) and Midway is where Chicagoan's fly out of the city. O'hare is only for international flights and TOURISTS. ;) Smart people in Chicago fly midway.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#23]
She tries to fly Midway as often as possible, however, sometimes she has no choice due to short notice or group purchases, etc on the tickets.  

So there are no FFL holders in Chicago?  I'm amazed at how well I had it in Indiana.  

Does the Chicago handgun ban cover all of Cook County?  Is that the limit to it?  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:00:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Zissou,

I'm a real estate agent in Chicagoland (a good one too...lol) - I focus primarily on residential but work with commercial clients as well.  E-mail me when you get a chance and we can touch base.  There's plenty of good commercial space in the 'burbs as well as the city - and a lot of where to locate your business will be determined by where you want to reside.

I'm 99% sure that being a 07 FFL would be verbotten in Chicago proper.  Krebs Custom has an 07 IIRC and they're located in the far burbs so it can be done in IL.  IL isn't as gun-friendly as a lot of states but it could always be worse (no state AW ban). If you live in the city, you'll have to keep most firearms outside of the city limits (hunting rifles [bolt action] and some shotguns are OK but must be registered w/ the Chicago PD within 10 or 15 days of the firearms being brought into the city and you have to pay a yearly registration fee...IIRC).  Good times...

PS - Another name for folks from IL is: "Flatlander"    

Your AR-15.com e-mail is disabled so I wasn't able to send you a PM...

Take care,
Mike
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:09:49 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Meekly surrender" has nothing to do with it.  They have already been given authorization to proceed to exercise eminent domain.  There are no defense to a quick-take eminent domain proceeding -- the only issue is whether you are getting fair market value.  You CANNOT fight the right of the condemning authority to condemn in a quick-take situation.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#26]
xmikex - email sent.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:57:57 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Meekly surrender? Just out of curiosity, what would YOU do if Chicago was going to take your property?

I have had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with silascobb, believe me, he knows the law and how things work in the world of corporate law.

I hope you aren't suggesting some type of Lexington or Concord stand. Cuz the end result would be you losing.

Not trying to be a jerk but eminent domain will apply here. The City of Chicago is also quietly gobbling up land around Midway and has been for years.

If King Dick wants to expand O'Hare, it's gonna happen.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:04:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Zissou,

I'm a real estate agent in Chicagoland (a good one too...lol) - I focus primarily on residential but work with commercial clients as well.  E-mail me when you get a chance and we can touch base.  There's plenty of good commercial space in the 'burbs as well as the city - and a lot of where to locate your business will be determined by where you want to reside.

I'm 99% sure that being a 07 FFL would be verbotten in Chicago proper.  Krebs Custom has an 07 IIRC and they're located in the far burbs so it can be done in IL.  IL isn't as gun-friendly as a lot of states but it could always be worse (no state AW ban). If you live in the city, you'll have to keep most firearms outside of the city limits (hunting rifles [bolt action] and some shotguns are OK but must be registered w/ the Chicago PD within 10 or 15 days of the firearms being brought into the city and you have to pay a yearly registration fee...IIRC).  Good times...

PS - Another name for folks from IL is: "Flatlander"    

Your AR-15.com e-mail is disabled so I wasn't able to send you a PM...

Take care,
Mike

Hey Mike, I'm a IL licensed home inspector, please let me know if you ever need an inspection. I am also a remodeling contractor but am really trying to develop this home inspection thing.

Team Zissou.....I'd be glad to take a look at any potential property you and your lady may consider.....ARFCOMER discount rate of course.

That offer extends to all my ARFCOM brothers and sisters. If y'all need anything built or inspected, shoot me an IM.

Team Zissou.....I agree that the Midwest AND the Old Dominion (Dixie) have the friendliest and most generous people in the country. East Coasters for the most part are well......well like Mom said, if you don't have anything nice to say, keep your pie hole shut
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:39:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
"Meekly surrender" has nothing to do with it.  They have already been given authorization to proceed to exercise eminent domain.  There are no defense to a quick-take eminent domain proceeding -- the only issue is whether you are getting fair market value.  You CANNOT fight the right of the condemning authority to condemn in a quick-take situation.

Once upon a time Americans would have done whatever it took to protect their homes from whatever enemy would come to destroy it. I like to think that I fall into that category. Obviously you don't. But then, you only "own property" and didn't say you "live there".

I guess this is why Daley feels emboldened to forcibly expand his empire, because his opposition won't resist it in any way.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:20:40 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once upon a time Americans would have done whatever it took to protect their homes from whatever enemy would come to destroy it. I like to think that I fall into that category. Obviously you don't. But then, you only "own property" and didn't say you "live there".

I guess this is why Daley feels emboldened to forcibly expand his empire, because his opposition won't resist it in any way.

You raise a valid argument.  True, I do not live there, so you are correct insofar as I don't feel the same sense of "invasion" as others who do (live there).  HOWEVER, I take umbrage at your suggestion that I would not fight off foreign invaders or threats to our country.  Clearly, the comparision between a lawful government legally taking property for the supposed common good and a foreign invader is a red herring, but I'll accept it for the purposes of discussion.

The degree of my fervor to "put off the invaders" is a matter entirely different from whether or not the City is actually going to take whatever steps are necessary to acquire all that property in Bensenville and Elk Grove.  They have ALREADY acquired many of the Elk Grove area and have actually done teardowns and the preliminary steps for the actual construction.

I applaud the residents (and the two municipalities) who want to fight it out with Chicago to the bitter end, but for me -- economically and tactically -- fighting until the fat lady sings is not going to put me in any better position, given that I am not fighting for my home.  For me, it makes the most sense to consider any offer the City makes and from there decide whether to fight it in such a way as maximize the economics and minimize the vexation caused by the whole situation.

But ultimately, regardless of how bitter the opposition, the State's power (and hence the City's via home rule) to condemn property via eminent domain is well established and they are going to prevail in the long run.  I am not saying that is right, of course, but its a reality that affected property owners and residents will eventually have to face.

ZISSOU, sorry that we've gone and hijacked your thread, man.

PATRIOT73, thanks for the backup.  I've got your 6!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:25:15 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Meekly surrender? Just out of curiosity, what would YOU do if Chicago was going to take your property?

I have had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with silascobb, believe me, he knows the law and how things work in the world of corporate law.

I hope you aren't suggesting some type of Lexington or Concord stand. Cuz the end result would be you losing.

Not trying to be a jerk but eminent domain will apply here. The City of Chicago is also quietly gobbling up land around Midway and has been for years.

Ahhh, the good advice from Mr Run and Hide, speaking loudly from his armchair inside Crook County near O'hare... oh wait, that's right, you aren't anywhere near it, once again freely pouring scorn on those unlike yourself who refuse to bown down to the daley empire or run away.

As to the answer to your question, I'll refrain from answering it truthfully because I wouldn't want to frighten you with a "politically incorrect" answer. If you don't know what you need to do, you are part of the problem.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:33:48 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
You raise a valid argument.  True, I do not live there, so you are correct insofar as I don't feel the same sense of "invasion" as others who do (live there).  HOWEVER, I take umbrage at your suggestion that I would not fight off foreign invaders or threats to our country.  Clearly, the comparision between a lawful government legally taking property for the supposed common good and a foreign invader is a red herring, but I'll accept it for the purposes of discussion.

The degree of my fervor to "put off the invaders" is a matter entirely different from whether or not the City is actually going to take whatever steps are necessary to acquire all that property in Bensenville and Elk Grove.  They have ALREADY acquired many of the Elk Grove area and have actually done teardowns and the preliminary steps for the actual construction.

I applaud the residents (and the two municipalities) who want to fight it out with Chicago to the bitter end, but for me -- economically and tactically -- fighting until the fat lady sings is not going to put me in any better position, given that I am not fighting for my home.  For me, it makes the most sense to consider any offer the City makes and from there decide whether to fight it in such a way as maximize the economics and minimize the vexation caused by the whole situation.

But ultimately, regardless of how bitter the opposition, the State's power (and hence the City's via home rule) to condemn property via eminent domain is well established and they are going to prevail in the long run.  I am not saying that is right, of course, but its a reality that affected property owners and residents will eventually have to face.

ZISSOU, sorry that we've gone and hijacked your thread, man.

PATRIOT73, thanks for the backup.  I've got your 6!

Yes, the villages of Bensenville and Elk Grove are fighting it, so are the residents of those villages. But I guess it's too much to ask for people that merely "own property" there to join the fight.  I mean who cares if Daley is abusing eminent domain to steal your property in order to expand his chicago empire - it's not like that you are somebody who has his or her livelihood threatened by daley empire expansion, who risk having their home or business being destroyed when king thug himself sends the bulldozers in.

I totally understand, it's not your fight. Might I suggest then, selling the property to somebody else (not the Empire) who would pick up the sword and continue the fight?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I totally understand, it's not your fight. Might I suggest then, selling the property to somebody else (not the Empire) who would pick up the sword and continue the fight?

How much are you offering?  

I see you are "goin' to pick a fight":  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahhh, the good advice from Mr Run and Hide, speaking loudly from his armchair inside Crook County near O'hare... oh wait, that's right, you aren't anywhere near it, once again freely pouring scorn on those unlike yourself who refuse to bown down to the daley empire or run away.

As to the answer to your question, I'll refrain from answering it truthfully because I wouldn't want to frighten you with a "politically incorrect" answer. If you don't know what you need to do, you are part of the problem.

Sometimes you have to pick your battles Kroagnon.  I, for one, am all up for fighting Kind Richard, but let's do it where we can win.

As far as Lexington and Concord, granted this country was founded on the agreed right of the people to overthrow a tyrannical, oppressive and nonresponsive government.

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. —Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain [George III] is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

However, I submit that not many members of the populace would agree with, ascribe to, or be willing to take up arms in support of your notion of throwing off the oppressive acts of the current government vis-a-vis Chicago.  For any such revolution to be justified, it must first have the support of the people which it does not.  Otherwise, it is merely treason.

EDIT:  BTW, now that we've ventured out of the ball park from the origin of this post with this philosophical debate, I would just like to point out that my original post was merely meant to inform the out-of-state poster of the O'Hare situation and the risks attendant thereto.  How we got to the right of the people to overthrow the government is beyond me!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:36:03 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excuse me? Run and hide? No, I'm just not a fan of Cook County. I grew up there and left as soon as I could. If you think I am politically correct, you couldn't be further from the truth.

Go ahead, fight it out. You will last about ten seconds defending your Cook County property.

Merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:44:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man, you are something else. Part of the problem? YOU are the problem. YOU are the reason gun control is rampant in Cook County because of your hollow threats against authority. If you want to gut it out against guys that have their sh*t more squared away then you ever will, be my guest. I however love my kids and would prefer to be alive.

I entered this thread to give some good advice to a fellow member, didn't need your attacks. You know nothing about me if you think I am the type to run and hide you are lost.

This isn't 1775 my man. They will put a sidewinder square up your ass through your living room window from hundreds of miles away so go ahead and dump your proverbial tea in the Calumet River or Lake Michigan. The answer is legislation and cool heads not revolutionary threats against authority.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quit hijacking this guy's request for help thread and start your own if you want to argue. Sheesh!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Quit hijacking this guy's request for help thread and start your own if you want to argue. Sheesh!

What he said.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Let me retiterate this.  Take it somewhere else.  Preferably out of this forum.

Agreed.  Nuff said.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I entered this thread to give some good advice to a fellow member, didn't need your attacks. You know nothing about me if you think I am the type to run and hide you are lost.

This isn't 1775 my man. They will put a sidewinder square up your ass through your living room window from hundreds of miles away so go ahead and dump your proverbial tea in the Calumet River or Lake Michigan. The answer is legislation and cool heads not revolutionary threats against authority.

This isn't 1775? Aren't you the guy who a little while ago was telling us how "we were warned about freeing the black slaves" or some such nonsense? And you're on here dishing out advice? Funny.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.  Nuff said.

Sell your land to a real Dupage'r. Stop sending Chicago tax money. Put your money where your mouth is.

Gun owners shouldn't move to Chicago or anywhere in Crook County. Good advice for the originator of this thread, no?

Nuff said indeed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:30:28 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.  Nuff said.

Sell your land to a real Dupage'r. Stop sending Chicago tax money. Put your money where your mouth is.

Gun owners shouldn't move to Chicago or anywhere in Crook County. Good advice for the originator of this thread, no?

Nuff said indeed.

Feel free to see your way out of this thread,  Unless you have some information to give the originator of this thread about places to look for starting his business, or to buy a house.  I will not warn anyone again, If you have nothing of value to add to this thread, in the way of answering his question, then don't post.  The next person to carry on with their tirade about who is or isn't willing to fight for their land, or fight the City of chicago with force, or BLah, Blah Blah will answer to staff.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

Sorry Cody.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#46]
You may want to look farther out than even the burbs.
Knox county has full rail service, plenty of manufacturing space.
Low property taxes. Depressed economy due to two major companies leaving area [to mexico].
Low housing cost and low crime rate. If interested get a hold of the Galesburrg chamber of commerce, 309-343-1194. Galesburg Regional Economic Developement Association,
309-341-2001.
I know you were looking in than this, I maintained a apparment in Aurora and a house in knox county for 3 years. Its 2 hours to Joilet, around 3 to O'Hare, of course traffic keeps getting worse up there. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:07:52 AM EDT
[#47]
You may also wish to look at Kane County. If you look at a map of Chicago land, follow I90 (the Kennedy Expressway) out past O'Hare to near where it crosses the Fox. The school disticts are hit-or-miss, but houseing is pretty affordable. THere are plenty of good gun shops out here as well: GAT  
(benifit of the doubt pleae)  and R-Guns come to mind.

The train goes to dwontown Chicago from either Elgin or Crystal Lake and they are in the process of building some kind of light rail to connect Hoffman Estates to O'hare. Plus, a little further out west along I90, there is building boom and there are huge choices of starter mansions and such in better school districts.

But be warned: Driving to downtown Chicago in the morning is hell! I leave at 6:30 / 6:45 am to make an 8:30 am crew call. I usually make it, but sometimes not....

efxguy

edit for spelling, damnit!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#48]
If you're looking for someplace affordable, the Waukegan / North Chicago area is still pretty low in terms of property values - esp. N. Chi. (28 miles north of the "Big" Chicago, and nowhere near as draconian in term of anti-gun laws). We've got a fair amount of vacant industrial & commercial property you could probably get a good leasing deal on.

Easy access to I94, US41 and the C&NW Union Pacificfreight & Metra North Line commuter rail.

Of course, if you're planning on kids, you'll have to send 'em to private schools - the ones in NChi are awful.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#49]
If you need to be close to O'Hare Airport, I recommend the following cities for an industrial base.
Northlake Illinois.  Bensenville, (Kingery road aka I-83 has lots of good locations for a fair price.
As for living. Elmhurst is just south of Bensenville and has a great train stop of the Metra Line.
check out their website:  http://www.metrarail.com
I live in Streamwood, Illinois. is between Schaumburg, IL and Elgin, IL.
also great locations to consider.
I recommend locating West of Chicago for the best prices.
You will definitely get the most bang for your buck. easy Access to three highways and  real easy to get around through local roads in case the highways are jammed up.
Joe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top