Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/8/2008 10:00:04 AM EST
So I'm sitting in 75 traffic yesterday at about 630ish and notice this dude in a Harley riding in between lanes with no helmet. Just swerving left and right, left and right, in and out of lanes.

Traffic is going about 30-35mph, so it was moving at a steady pace. Then I notice a a couple of more bikers doing the same thing. Then the Harley dude just gets into the left emergency lane and guns it. Followed by 3 other bikers.

My question is, why do these guys think they get special rights to do what they want and ride where they want? I used to own one and sold it awhile back and never looked back.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 10:06:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By nj0ywatch1np0rn:

My question is, why do these guys think they get special rights to do what they want and ride where they want? I used to own one and sold it awhile back and never looked back.

It is society's "me first" no one is accountable attitude. After all, as the leftys say, they were not hurting anyone.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 10:21:43 AM EST

So I'm sitting in 75 traffic yesterday at about 630ish and notice this dude in a Harley riding in between lanes with no helmet. Just swerving left and right, left and right, in and out of lanes.

Traffic is going about 30-35mph, so it was moving at a steady pace. Then I notice a a couple of more bikers doing the same thing. Then the Harley dude just gets into the left emergency lane and guns it. Followed by 3 other bikers.

Maybe they moved here from Cali...there a bike can go between cars and not get in trouble, I have no idea about the shoulder though...There used to be a guy on Loop 12 that did that until someone opend their door to pour out their old coffee....
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 10:53:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By Pike308:

Maybe they moved here from Cali...there a bike can go between cars and not get in trouble, I have no idea about the shoulder though...There used to be a guy on Loop 12 that did that until someone opend their door to pour out their old coffee....

+1

In Cali it's legal, but I wouldn't try it here because you know someone is just waiting for the day they get to f*ck with the guy on the bike who is getting home quicker than they are.

If it were my call, lane splitting would be legal in TX. If you are riding a motorcycle, saving room on the road and reducing gas/oil consumption, you should get the perks of not having to wait in traffic.

I own an SUV too, so don't think I'm a hippie
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 11:29:06 AM EST
They tried on 06 I think to allow lane splitting in gridlock like situations. Bill failed, tho. That said, When everyone's parked in traffic, I tend to go on and make my way home. Yup, hurttin no one. And yes, there are those that'd rather see me sitting in their rear view.

It's part of the reason why people don't push their stinkin cars out of the roadway when it's broke down - "Hey, my day's fucked, so now yours is too.." mentality.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 12:12:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By DallasLooterShooter:

If it were my call, lane splitting would be legal in TX. If you are riding a motorcycle, saving room on the road and reducing gas/oil consumption, you should get the perks of not having to wait in traffic.

To me it's a very dangerous practice, and those riders are endangering every other life on the road - they are reckless & self centered and playing with lives.

Link Posted: 4/8/2008 12:19:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By Centuryhouse:

To me it's a very dangerous practice, and those riders are endangering every other life on the road - they are reckless & self centered and playing with lives.

Please.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 12:30:26 PM EST

Originally Posted By 338winmag:

Please.

+1.

Link Posted: 4/8/2008 1:22:20 PM EST

Please.

+1.

+2
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 1:31:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/8/2008 1:31:55 PM EST by Centuryhouse]

Please.

Please what? I have watched these people nearly cause accidents on the highway. no drama there - just a statement of fact.

if you are trying to justify your own actions, then I can see why that caused offense and why you felt it neccesary to be an ass.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 1:42:34 PM EST

Please.

Please what? I have watched these people nearly cause accidents on the highway. no drama there - just a statement of fact.

if you are trying to justify your own actions, then I can see why that caused offense and why you felt it neccesary to be an ass.

Yea, I don't see what the big deal is. I mean the roads are built so wide for cars to safely drive along side one another. If a motorcycle can squeak between it should be ok right? Almost hitting someeone is ok as long as you don't really hit them
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 2:13:46 PM EST
I ride a motorcycle. If it were leagl to ride the emergency lane on a bike I would. But I dont think I would split lanes. Too many jealous doufus's out there that would either swirve so you get cliped or throw shit at you. I already get hit by cig butts when driving normally.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 2:57:13 PM EST

I'm a Rider and I'm 101% with Centuryhouse on this.

Just WAY too many chances that someone will change lanes / move over / narrow the gap / etc... way to many riders doing this are the goofy Road Gods thinking everyone else beneath them and in the way.

also I've had damage to my truck from some idiot who was riding trying to squeeze the gap and hitting my mirror. I got a call from his insurance agent wanting to know what my policy was going to pay for his injury!!!

Idiots like that will soon take themselves out of the gene pool, but unfortunately they will do too much damage to the reputation of motorcyclists along the way.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 3:08:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By atxjax:
I ride a motorcycle. If it were leagl to ride the emergency lane on a bike I would. But I dont think I would split lanes. Too many jealous doufus's out there that would either swirve so you get cliped or throw shit at you. I already get hit by cig butts when driving normally.

Or even if you just think about the fact that MANY drivers don't keep on a perfect course within their lane, but do vary in inches and at times feet within the lines. Or the fact that sometimes a person will swerve a few feet when they suddenly see something unexpected in the road and they try to miss it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 3:36:43 PM EST
guess no one here ever had a bike overheat sitting in traffic.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 4:12:31 PM EST
Get a better motorcycle or turn the engine off and push the thing if you're man enough. There is no room for wreckless drivers/riders and this mentality is proven fatal in DFW. I have zero respect for bikers that cut lanes & drive on the shoulder just as much as the 4x4's that like to tailgate.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 4:14:46 PM EST
I HAVE HAD A BIKE OVERHEAT IN TRAFIIC.
If mine gets hot - I will get in the ar right hand edge and putt along till I can get off.

IT REALLY SUCKS WHEN THE BIKE GETS HOT.

I don't lane split or take advantage of the smaller vehicle by using the edges - but twice back when I rode an AIR COOLED bike I did do this.

OH WELL.

DON'T BE A DRAMA QUEEN. TAKE A FEW DEEP BREATHS AND LISTEN TO THE RADIO.
THINK ABOUT HOW HAPPY YOU WILL BE WHEN YOU GET HOME TO THE FAMILY....
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 4:28:24 PM EST
Someone please explain to me the physics behind the claim that lane splitting, in bumper to bumper traffic, is somehow endangering the lives of every motorist on the road.

Because i'm having a really hard time with that one.

BTW - lane splitting is perfectly legal in CA. Seems to work well for them. If a motorcycle can fit between stopped vehicles what's the problem? It's not affecting any vehicle in any way.

I really don't understand the logic of some of you people.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 4:34:39 PM EST
I ride a bike daily and have never used the "overheating" excuse to break traffic laws. I have been stuck in traffic many times, even for hours when the temperature exceeded 100F. I sucked it up, turned the bike off BEFORE OVERHEATING, got behind the other hundreds of drivers, and pushed.

So, is it ok to run stop lights because we're too cheap to fix our brakes?

Link Posted: 4/8/2008 4:37:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By Tboy:
I ride a bike daily and have never used the "overheating" excuse to break traffic laws. I have been stuck in traffic many times, even for hours when the temperature exceeded 100F. I sucked it up, turned the bike off BEFORE OVERHEATING, got behind the other hundreds of drivers, and pushed.

So, is it ok to run stop lights because we're too cheap to fix our brakes?

Not a very good analogy.

How about "Have any of us ever gone SLOWER than the posted minimum speed limit because we had some type of mechanical difficulty?"

Link Posted: 4/8/2008 4:41:12 PM EST

Originally Posted By andre3k:

Not only that, but sitting on a hot bike is not good for the rider either. All that heat has to go somewhere, and when you are sitting still it goes up.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 4:52:38 PM EST
That is also a good analogy but I prefer the "running red light" because it can be just as dangerous as splitting lanes/riding on the shoulder.

As stated previously, riding in DFW rush hour traffic is extremely dangerous. Why increase my chanes of getting hit because I'm too impatient to go with the flow of traffic? But then again, I also hate folks that decide they can cut in/out of the HOV lane.

Why should my driving habits change for the worst when I decide to operate one of the most dangerous modes of transportation?

As a fellow biker, I'm very concerned that a biker will crash in front of ME which can/will cause a chain reaction which could cost my life. This us against them mentality doesn't hold water in my book.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 4:53:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:

Just WAY too many chances that someone will change lanes / move over / narrow the gap / etc... way to many riders doing this are the goofy Road Gods thinking everyone else beneath them and in the way.

also I've had damage to my truck from some idiot who was riding trying to squeeze the gap and hitting my mirror. I got a call from his insurance agent wanting to know what my policy was going to pay for his injury!!!

Idiots like that will soon take themselves out of the gene pool, but unfortunately they will do too much damage to the reputation of motorcyclists along the way.

BIGGER_HAMMER

+1 I ride too...a RoadKing Classic...I've ridden on the shoulder before but not at break neck speeds...slowly only when the traffic is bumper to bumper...as far as the bike over heating...it is more of a concern of me over heating...those of you who ride know how hot it gets with the heat coming of the exhaust...specily when you have dual pipes. I would never lane split though...even if it were legal...too many people that would not know it was and be like WTF and open there door on ya...and to the OP...I guess the riders you are talking about are like the assholes that ride in the HOV lane when they are alone and have no passangers...that really pisses me off...what makes them so special?!?
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 5:06:31 PM EST
Get a car with air conditioner. Problem solved.

Link Posted: 4/8/2008 5:13:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By txharleyrider:

+1 I ride too...a RoadKing Classic...I've ridden on the shoulder before but not at break neck speeds...slowly only when the traffic is bumper to bumper...as far as the bike over heating...it is more of a concern of me over heating...those of you who ride know how hot it gets with the heat coming of the exhaust...specily when you have dual pipes. I would never lane split though...even if it were legal...too many people that would not know it was and be like WTF and open there door on ya...and to the OP...I guess the riders you are talking about are like the assholes that ride in the HOV lane when they are alone and have no passangers...that really pisses me off...what makes them so special?!?

In Houston you can ride the HOV if you're on a motorcycle. Doesn't matter if you have a passenger or not.

Is DFW not the same?
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 5:15:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By TinLeg:

Originally Posted By txharleyrider:

In Houston you can ride the HOV if you're on a motorcycle. Doesn't matter if you have a passenger or not.

Is DFW not the same?

Yes you can here too...I'm talking about people in cars or trucks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 5:31:53 PM EST
I'm referring to the folks that get impatient sitting in traffic, get mad, and suddenly swerve into the HOV lane without seeing the bikers. Or that crash in the left lane and decide it best to move over into the HOV lane. VERY DANGEROUS since I've almost been hit on numerous occassions.

And while I'm at it, my BIGGEST PET PEEVE regarding the HOV lane - cops using it to commute to work. Last I knew, Dallas PD doesn't have jurisdiction in Denton County.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 5:54:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By Rino451:
They tried on 06 I think to allow lane splitting in gridlock like situations. Bill failed, tho. That said, When everyone's parked in traffic, I tend to go on and make my way home. Yup, hurttin no one. And yes, there are those that'd rather see me sitting in their rear view.

It's part of the reason why people don't push their stinkin cars out of the roadway when it's broke down - "Hey, my day's fucked, so now yours is too.." mentality.

I saw a guy lane splitting on 75 southbound in the morning. Traffic was moving about 50-55, he was going 65+ and not just riding the line. He was swerving in and out of traffic and seemed like he was trying to get someone to run over him.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 7:32:28 PM EST
I personally witnessed some extremely reckless driving by at least 15 crotch rocket riders around 5:30 pm this last Sunday on the exit from US 290 to I-610W in Houston. The traffic was moderately heavy as it is most of the daytime hours and these punks were racing and weaving around cars at 80+ MPH speeds. The car traffic was only doing 50 55 MPH so these punks were causing quite a lot of panicing with the normal drivers. They were also riding on the shoulder and crossing 4 lanes at a time.
I and many other drivers on the scene were wishing their violent decapitation to be a result of their crass foolishness.

Anyone who rides crazy like that should never be allowed to operate a motor vehicle in the United States for the rest of their natural lives which may be short because of their utter stupidity.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 7:35:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/8/2008 7:38:53 PM EST by OFFascist]

I'm more worried about someone in a truck causing me an accident than somebody on a motorcycle.

Atleast if a motorcycle crashes into my car he will probably die as punishment.

I have no problem with bikes going around traffic. Sitting in traffic wastes gas alteast they are using less of it, more for me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 7:56:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By Martinus_Turonis:
I personally witnessed some extremely reckless driving by at least 15 crotch rocket riders around 5:30 pm this last Sunday on the exit from US 290 to I-610W in Houston. The traffic was moderately heavy as it is most of the daytime hours and these punks were racing and weaving around cars at 80+ MPH speeds. The car traffic was only doing 50 55 MPH so these punks were causing quite a lot of panicing with the normal drivers. They were also riding on the shoulder and crossing 4 lanes at a time.
I and many other drivers on the scene were wishing their violent decapitation to be a result of their crass foolishness.

Anyone who rides crazy like that should never be allowed to operate a motor vehicle in the United States for the rest of their natural lives which may be short because of their utter stupidity.

That is not lane splitting, that is squidly behavior and wrecklessness.

There is a difference. If lane splitting were legal, it would simply allow bikes to use the stripes in between cars: not allow them to act like idiots weaving in and out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 5:08:14 AM EST
Not saying its a great idea, but in Texas, driving on the shoulder is NOT illegal. You can even pass people on the shoulder. They teach that in defensive driving.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 5:41:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/9/2008 5:43:04 AM EST by TinLeg]

Originally Posted By microsuck1:
Not saying its a great idea, but in Texas, driving on the shoulder is NOT illegal. You can even pass people on the shoulder. They teach that in defensive driving.

In certain circumstances.

For example, when it's a two lane road with a maintained shoulder, and the vehicle in front of you is slowing with the left turn signal on.

----------------------------------------

Some of you are confusing "lane splitting" and general douchbaggery.

Lane splitting is generally, the practice of riding between the lanes when traffic is at a standstill or moving less than 10 miles per hour.

Link Posted: 4/9/2008 6:54:30 AM EST
I think that letting single motorcyclist ride the HOV lanes is excellent way to encourage ridership in cities with heavy traffic. It gets you there fast, (and cool too!) while saving gas and preventing pollution. We don't have HOV lanes in Austin (yet) but I'm all for it in Houston & DFW!

Remember to Ride to Live and that means leaving as much space between you and the metal monsters as possible. If they bump you, the only need 'body work', if you get bumped by them, your 'body' needs the work. For a few minutes time saved, it is just not worth a lifetime of crippled body (or worse). If traffic is going to be bad (you know you are riding at the peak of rush hour), I just find something fun to do for a bit (get a coffee, read the paper, suft AFRCOM etc...) and let traffic die down. When the rush hour has thinned out and I'm feeling relaxed, then I can really enjoy the ride with a big smile!

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 4/9/2008 7:22:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:

BIGGER_HAMMER

So how would something like this hold out? Did your insurance really had to pay for his injury?

Also, I remember CA lanes being much wider allowing for motorcyclist to ride in between lanes.

My only gripe is not motorcyclist, heck I used to be one but never rode recklessly, but the ones that seem to make rules for themselves. The left emergency lane isnt used so you can get home quicker, its for emergencies.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 8:27:39 AM EST
In Texas, neither lane splitting nor riding on the shoulder is legal. No amount of whining or excuses will change this fact.

If you or your bike can't handle the Texas heat, then stay out of it or find another route.

I've been commuting to work and back on a bike for over 8 years and I sure has heck don't have to resort to lanesplitting or the shoulder to get through traffic.

It doesn't matter how they do it in California, if you want to lanesplit, move out there.

Gringop
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 8:35:04 AM EST
Driving on the shoulder IS legal. See Texas Transportation Code.

§ 545.058. DRIVING ON IMPROVED SHOULDER. (a) An operator
may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled
portion of a roadway if that operation is necessary and may be done
safely, but only:
(1) to stop, stand, or park;
(2) to accelerate before entering the main traveled
lane of traffic;
(3) to decelerate before making a right turn;
(4) to pass another vehicle that is slowing or stopped
on the main traveled portion of the highway
, disabled, or preparing
to make a left turn;
(5) to allow another vehicle traveling faster to pass;
(6) as permitted or required by an official
traffic-control device; or
(7) to avoid a collision.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:27:52 AM EST
This pertains to right lanes. The far left lane is either HOV or emergency lane. Not a "its-jammed-I-need-a-faster-way" lane.

The code looks like it pertains to a 2 lane or small road. The interstate has a different penal code of laws doesnt it?
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 11:15:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/9/2008 11:16:46 AM EST by DallasLooterShooter]

Originally Posted By gringop:
In Texas, neither lane splitting nor riding on the shoulder is legal. No amount of whining or excuses will change this fact.

False: see post above

If you or your bike can't handle the Texas heat, then stay out of it or find another route.

I've been commuting to work and back on a bike for over 8 years and I sure has heck don't have to resort to lanesplitting or the shoulder to get through traffic.

I would expect you to be more open minded, having ridden a bike for so many years

It doesn't matter how they do it in California, if you want to lanesplit, move out there.

I disagree: if something is legal in another state then it warrants discussion. You sound like the kind of person who would attempt to ban anything you didn't like or understad.

Gringop
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 11:33:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/9/2008 11:40:23 AM EST by TinLeg]

This pertains to right lanes. The far left lane is either HOV or emergency lane. Not a "its-jammed-I-need-a-faster-way" lane.

The code looks like it pertains to a 2 lane or small road. The interstate has a different penal code of laws doesnt it?

Negative. Read highlighted portion:

EDIT* I see what you were getting at, read it totally opposite of what you meant.

Originally Posted By microsuck1:
Driving on the shoulder IS legal. See Texas Transportation Code.

§ 545.058. DRIVING ON IMPROVED SHOULDER. (a) An operator
may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled
portion of a roadway
if that operation is necessary and may be done
safely, but only:
(1) to stop, stand, or park;
(2) to accelerate before entering the main traveled
lane of traffic;
(3) to decelerate before making a right turn;
(4) to pass another vehicle that is slowing or stopped
on the main traveled portion of the highway
, disabled, or preparing
to make a left turn;
(5) to allow another vehicle traveling faster to pass;
(6) as permitted or required by an official
traffic-control device; or
(7) to avoid a collision.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 11:34:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/9/2008 11:36:00 AM EST by TinLeg]

False: see post above

I would expect you to be more open minded, having ridden a bike for so many years

I disagree: if something is legal in another state then it warrants discussion. You sound like the kind of person who would attempt to ban anything you didn't like or understad.

Gringop

+1 to DallasLooterShooter.

California does it and while we can all agree that California has some screwed up laws, this one i think merits examination.

California does have some of the most congested highways in the nation. Seems to me that we would do well to adopt some of their traffic control measures in OUR congested areas like Houston and DFW.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 11:35:33 AM EST
and the paragraph below it in the Trans Code (I left it out to conserve post space) says a similar thing about the left side shoulder, but mainly reserved for emergencies.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 1:28:07 PM EST
You are allowed to use the shoulder for passing situatons but are not allowed to treat as your own lane - DPS frowns on that. They will make exceptions for heavy machinery but that is another subject.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 2:09:30 PM EST
I've got no problems with lane splitting or other erratic driving by motorcycles for that matter. However, if you're riding and weaving in and out of traffic, don't think I'm going to crash into another car just to avoid crashing into you. I'm going to follow the path of least resistance.

Link Posted: 4/9/2008 3:58:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By Martinus_Turonis:

I couldn't agree more!
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 8:04:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/9/2008 8:06:10 PM EST by getit]
this aint cali......i have been riding suzuki's for about 20yrs and dont see a need to split lanes, ride the shoulder or any of that bs unless u are in an emergency and then should be done with all respect to other drivers...yes i have done my share of acting stupid but dont recommend it...majority of the people sitting in traffic stuck just tend to look at like "that rider is getting in front of me" type mentallity anymore with our dropping lack of respect for others(riders and drivers!)

i got one of the fastest,quickest street bikes on this forum and i rarely ever have to do that.....since my bike runs hot(air cooled big block) i try to not go places where i get stuck, if my bike starts to get too hot i will take the right shoulder for the next exit and get some air flow going...respectfully! if no one likes it, sorry its an emergency...if i get in trouble for it, my fault....if traffic is moving then there is no reason to do anything else but go with the flow

All the stupid stuff just makes it bad for the other riders that ride normal
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 8:20:26 PM EST

Gringop

+1
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 8:24:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/9/2008 8:25:32 PM EST by getit]

Originally Posted By andre3k:

Not only that, but sitting on a hot bike is not good for the rider either. All that heat has to go somewhere, and when you are sitting still it goes up.

i have...it sucks but deal with it.....and if u cant take that heat physically then u shouldnt be riding in texas!
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 7:15:39 PM EST
I was heading down 529 last night and some popo was riding everyones rear and lane splitting. The guy almost got jammed between me and another guy in a huge truck.
I'm sure it would have been my fault if he was injured
This was the only time I have ever picked up the phone to call in a complaint...the messed up thing was the guy's bike had temp tags

FWIW I don't ride anymore but I have ridden on and off for 25+ years and I gots one thing to say...lane splitting is a dangerous practice when you split with anything other than another bike!!!

OTOH there are too many riders out there making the roads unsafe for everyone.
Not to mention this stupid "stunting" movement.
These kids just don't think that their actions can result in their death.
One of my old employees, a young guy with a bright future learned the hard way a couple weeks ago that 100+ on an unknown road kills

Link Posted: 4/14/2008 6:25:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/14/2008 9:33:00 AM EST by DallasLooterShooter]
bump, saw this video on Youtube and thought it was relevant to the ones who've been posting here.

Although this may be legal, you would never catch my ass doing something like this...

ETA: crap, my post-fu is weak, forgot to add the link

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cQvcZlo2yo
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 7:09:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By Tboy:
And while I'm at it, my BIGGEST PET PEEVE regarding the HOV lane - cops using it to commute to work. Last I knew, Dallas PD doesn't have jurisdiction in Denton County.

Dallas PD has statewide jurisdiction for nearly everything.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top