Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 10:56:08 AM EDT
So I feel like shooting this weekend, but my parent's land is on the other side of DFW and an hour drive.  I was thinking about taking the scooter to save fuel.  I know its NOT illegal, but I was thinking about slinging the AR across my back.  Bad idea, or well within my rights?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Well within your rights.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Bad idea, or well within my rights?

I would say both.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#3]
This is true it is your right, but why invite the man into your business.
Break it down and put it in a bag so you get there without having to explain to Barney that it is perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I know some towns[rockwall] has a ordinance against it.Rude display of firearms.He did let me go tho.It was a shotgun, in dove season.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh wait, I forgot to mention.  Its a SBR with a can.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Oh hell, don't go there, your asking for it.As one said put in a backpack or something.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Hell, Man...get youself a rifle scabard for your front forks. Improvise, Adampt, and all that jazz!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

lmao... chances are, you'll get pulled over by a fool that doesn't know the laws, and best case scenario, he confiscates the rifle and you don't goto jail and sit until they figure out you are well within your rights.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Pics and even video documentation could be a precursor to your being an arfcom legend.

Do it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hell, Man...get youself a rifle scabard for your front forks. Improvise, Adampt, and all that jazz!

Whoa whoa whoa....

Details!

Where do you purchase such wonder items as "motorcycle fork gun transporter case thingies?"

I must know.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#11]
1.  This thread is useless without pics.
2.  You are right on both.  Within your rights, but YELLING LOUDLY you want to be screwed with.
3.  I ride everywhere I don't take anyone with me, unless I am taking some cargo I don't want to be flashing around.  That would include any SBR with cans.  

My best advice, don't do it.  Just surf around the web, I'm sure someone else has had the same experience and has posted the results on the web.  Try learning from their mistakes first!  Then if you must do it, please call me, I will meet you at the onset of your journey with a video camera.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#12]
When I was younger & dumber I had a rack on my front handle bars that I took my H&K 91 with me. Needless to say it got me more unwanted attention then thumbs up.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#13]
A friend and I rode our Harleys about 15 mi from his house to the range. I had an 870 shottie on my back and he had his 243 on his back. It was like no one noticed. And we even rode right thru DOWNTOWN !!!!! .......... Breckenridge.he
For safety sake, if nothing more, I would hide it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#14]
The "don't do it because it could be a hastle" theory has taken us to where we are today with ridiculous gun laws and NFA laws.  

Bunch of pussys.   I would do it.  I don't have a bike but I do usually lay some SBR's, cans, SBS's, machineguns and even my AOW's in the back seat and drive around. I have the freaking right to have this stuff and I'm not going to be scared to carry it around.

If you don't exercise your body what happens?  It degrades and dies.

If you don't exercise your rights what happens?  they degrade and die.  

Don't y'all see that?  

The "scared of bubba small town cop" that doesn't know the law simply helps us to not exercise our rights.  

I guess a lot of you might be too young, but if you have never watched the movie, 1984, please do.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Go for it.  

I've slung a shotgun across my back and nobody cared.  SBR's work great with motorcycles, just sling the gun and, if you want to be safe, place a backpack over the gun to block most of the view.  Most folks will have no clue.

If we stop reinforcing our rights we will begin to lose them to all the NON-Texans invading this great state.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The "don't do it because it could be a hastle" theory has taken us to where we are today with ridiculous gun laws and NFA laws.  

Bunch of pussys.   I would do it.  I don't have a bike but I do usually lay some SBR's, cans, SBS's, machineguns and even my AOW's in the back seat and drive around. I have the freaking right to have this stuff and I'm not going to be scared to carry it around.

Don't y'all see that?  

The "scared of bubba small town cop" that doesn't know the law simply helps us to not exercise our rights.  

I guess a lot of you might be too young, but if you have never watched the movie, 1984, please do.  

I agree with you in principle.

And i might be able to afford the legal fight if i get arrested and "made an example of" by an overzealous DA.  But it would pauper me.

It's not worth it, personally, to me.  I'm sure most other people feel the same way.

If i had a sponsor willing to foot all the legal bills i would definitely and smartly excersize all my rights.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I've thought about doing that too...but the range is only a few miles from my house...I did see a guy a few months ago with a rifle strapped to his bike between his leg and the engine. On the back would look cooler though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:20:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Don't y'all see that?  

Well said.

This is what the .gov wants.  The people afraid of the man, when it should be the other way around.  

There was a thread about a guy from VA a couple of weeks ago over in GD.  The guy was carrying on a trip to SC, and was pulled over for a traffic violation.  The cops found out he had a concealed firearm, and was arrested.  He was taken before a magistrate, and the judge, then lambasted the cops for false arrest.  Don't expect the police to stay up nights studying the law.  If you want them to know it is perfectly legal to ride a motorcycle with a firearm either loaded or unloaded, your choice, then you will probably have to have the balls to show them yourself.  Exercising your rights, sometimes means not being a pussy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Don't y'all see that?  

I agree with you man, and wish more LEO's new 100% of the law, but taking advice from an online forum is a recipe for disaster. Not yours in particular but until I saw it in writing in a Texas penal code etc, I wouldn't chance it. I wish I could mow the lawn with my 6" revolver on my hip, but people might call the cops and others might want to steal it and other weapons from me in my absence or worse, if I am gone, fiancee is home alone etc. It all sucks, but it sucks worse to take it laying down.

Wolverines!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Don't y'all see that?  

I guess a lot of you might be too young, but if you have never watched the movie read the book , 1984, please do.  

FIFY
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I agree with you man, and wish more LEO's new 100% of the law, but taking advice from an online forum is a recipe for disaster. Not yours in particular but until I saw it in writing in a Texas penal code etc, I wouldn't chance it. I wish I could mow the lawn with my 6" revolver on my hip, but people might call the cops and others might want to steal it and other weapons from me in my absence or worse, if I am gone, fiancee is home alone etc. It all sucks, but it sucks worse to take it laying down.

Wolverines!

You won't see it in writing that you can.  You also won't see in writing that you can't.   They don't right affirmative laws, they write laws telling you you can't do things.   For example, there is no law that says I have the right to drive to Outback and have a steak is there?  No, so it's legal.  
There is no law that says I have the right to go to sleep at night, but I do and I don't get arrested.    

If our fear does not go away and we don't stand up for what we know is right, what we know is right will soon not be.

(also, I don't know what FYIY in the previous post means, I hope it was a good thing)
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You won't see it in writing that you can.  You also won't see in writing that you can't.   They don't right affirmative laws, they write laws telling you you can't do things.   For example, there is no law that says I have the right to drive to Outback and have a steak is there?  No, so it's legal.  
There is no law that says I have the right to go to sleep at night, but I do and I don't get arrested.    

If our fear does not go away and we don't stand up for what we know is right, what we know is right will soon not be.

(also, I don't know what FYIY in the previous post means, I hope it was a good thing)

I understand the comparison but the more legally important laws or what have you are more often spelled out. Such as the Castle Law and being able to carry in a car. It is a shame that people are getting arrested because LEO's don't know the law has changed. I know the old definition of "Traveling" as far as firearm transport was concerned was a load of horseshit and up to the officers discretion. I think that should be 100% defined and made available if not provided to a purchaser of a firearm. I don't even trust the new law to keep my ass out of jail. I'm waiting until my CHL is on file to do it, call me a pussy but even as small of a legal battle as $5k would put me in a world of hurt. I wish I could do what you say and respect you voicing your opinion.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Those that refuse to exercise their rights deserve to lose them.

Are you going to stop owning guns because your neighbors/friend/family think they're evil?  Will you stop shooting on your own property because of some crazy lady's rants?  Stop carrying guns in parking lots at the local gun show because some passer-by might freak out?

Personally, I'm not afraid to carry a rifle/shotgun on my back, in my car, truck, or motorcycle.  I freely open carry on my own property and have yet had LEO interfere.  I did cause some "concern" from a few convenience store customers on Mockingbird lane a couple of years ago when I stopped to get gas after a gun show.  Guess they didn't like the subgun bag on my back - I wasn't about to leave my SBR on my bike when I went inside to pay...

If John Wiley Price can carry a SKS in a protest march then I'm not afraid.  Personally, I think you will be seeing more guys with rifles on their backs with higher fuel costs.

Then again, maybe my days are numbered and you'll see me in the news.

Bring it on.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:09:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Stop carrying guns in parking lots at the local gun show because some passer-by might freak out?

Bring it on.

That's a good comparison. I feel proud to walk across that public lot with gun in hand. That crowd of people won't even blink an eye.

I once had a guy startle me while I was mowing to inquire about whether or not I needed tree trimming service. I bet he wouldn't have done that if I had my .357 on my hip.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:01:37 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoa whoa whoa....

Details!

Where do you purchase such wonder items as "motorcycle fork gun transporter case thingies?"

I must know.

Rifle Scabbard

Leather Scabbard

I prefer mine verticaly mounted....and mine is leather.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I know some towns[rockwall] has a ordinance against it.Rude display of firearms.He did let me go tho.It was a shotgun, in dove season.

Pre-emption?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top