Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2015 8:54:10 AM EDT
Seriously kicking around the idea of returning west and looking at options. We have one good move left we think before the music stops. Washington is on the short list (eastern side) and I'm down to the "list" of pluses and minuses on the yellow note pad. Of course I've got a ton of questions.....the kind that someone who has moved a lot would have.

I've been to the Department of Licensing and discovered fees for everything from "stolen vehicle checks" to "regional transit district taxes".  ???

What I'm wondering is how much does someone with a couple of 4x4's (F250 and Toyota) and a boat, snowmobile, and 4 wheeler pay yearly in fees?

Does Washington require emissions testing?

Wood stoves-do they have to be pellet (low emission type)?

Primary secondary heat (Electric, Natural Gas, Propane?)  What are "typical" electric bills like?  Say.....1500ft2 house.

Wells......"typical" depth and cost in the Spokanish area?

What are your deer and elk herds like these days?

Anyone have horses and what are hay prices like in the winter?

I've been to all the WA  resource sites here and have read and understand lately the challenges ya all are having with rules and regulations....

Thanks. IM or E-mail  okay.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I just moved here a few months ago so I might have a few answers because I just went through some of it.

I just registered my truck (2500 GMC Diesel)  it was $131 out the door.  much cheaper than the $500+ I was paying in Nevada every year

Smog testing is required in some counties but not in all.  It depends on the population of the county so you would have to call the licensing dept in the county you are looking at or look online to find out.

tons of houses I have looked at have wood stoves and or pellet stoves.  There may be requirements on new construction but I'm not sure.

Our 1700 sq/ft house last month was $56 for electric and $36 for gas bill.  it was a mild month so we didn't use much of either but that's what it was last month.

no idea on wells but everything is close to sea level so it can't be that deep

no horses

Good luck
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Ladies and babies.....

Working my way through the hunting regs.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just moved here a few months ago so I might have a few answers because I just went through some of it.

I just registered my truck (2500 GMC Diesel)  it was $131 out the door.  much cheaper than the $500+ I was paying in Nevada every year

Smog testing is required in some counties but not in all.  It depends on the population of the county so you would have to call the licensing dept in the county you are looking at or look online to find out.

tons of houses I have looked at have wood stoves and or pellet stoves.  There may be requirements on new construction but I'm not sure.

Our 1700 sq/ft house last month was $56 for electric and $36 for gas bill.  it was a mild month so we didn't use much of either but that's what it was last month.

no idea on wells but everything is close to sea level so it can't be that deep

no horses

Good luck
View Quote

Thanks Street_Doc.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Seriously kicking around the idea of returning west and looking at options. We have one good move left we think before the music stops. Washington is on the short list (eastern side) and I'm down to the "list" of pluses and minuses on the yellow note pad. Of course I've got a ton of questions.....the kind that someone who has moved a lot would have.

I've been to the Department of Licensing and discovered fees for everything from "stolen vehicle checks" to "regional transit district taxes".  ???

What I'm wondering is how much does someone with a couple of 4x4's (F250 and Toyota) and a boat, snowmobile, and 4 wheeler pay yearly in fees?

Primary secondary heat (Electric, Natural Gas, Propane?)  What are "typical" electric bills like?  Say.....1500ft2 house.
View Quote

Car tabs are not bad - in line with the Midwest.... I've got a few vehicles, the biggest being a Ram 1500, and none of them are over $100 for tabs...

Emissions testing is required in the high-pop, uberliberal areas... Pierce, King & Snohomish...

Same thing for the transit tax, and such... WHERE you live makes a big diff...

No income tax, but sales tax can get over 10% depending on county/municipality...

Electricity is largely hydroelectric, and thus cheap...

Problem is, the place gets more like Cali every year... $15 min wage is being pushed in all the major cities (they're not happy with the highest state minimum in the country), proposals for a carbon tax & per-mile vehicle tax...

It is not getting better, and the King Co region outvotes the whole state....

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Car tabs are not bad - in line with the Midwest.... I've got a few vehicles, the biggest being a Ram 1500, and none of them are over $100 for tabs...

Emissions testing is required in the high-pop, uberliberal areas... Pierce, King & Snohomish...

No income tax, but sales tax can get over 10% depending on county/municipality...

Problem is, the place gets more like Cali every year... $15 min wage is being pushed in all the major cities (they're not happy with the highest state minimum in the country), proposals for a carbon tax & per-mile vehicle tax...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you Dave_A for the updates.

Our eyes are on the Eastern Side with Spokane the "general" area. I've actually lived in every western state but Washington so the Californication of the west-while a huge problem-isn't a surprise.  I don't know what it is about Coastal Northern Cities that cause such derp.....but it's endemic on both coasts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top