Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/26/2005 7:51:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2005 8:36:52 PM EDT by double_trouble_2003]
While putting some rounds down range at TriCounty Gun Club last week and had a conversation with the Range Office about my AR and the sweet ARs the boys from Crimson Trace had borrowed from Lauer Custom Weapons. (what a tough job).

We were discussing the pros/cons of the AR15 from his perspective as a Korean War vet. I mentioned I shot Practical Rifle as often as I could manage.

Of course he knows Randy and tells me - that Practical Rifle is far and way the most popular event held at TriCounty. "there isn't an event that draws even close to 60 people". (I think we've seen groups even larger than that during the summer.)

This makes me wonder - why aren't we getting more love from the TCGC Board?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:01:55 PM EDT
That is the question..............of the year even.........

I've been doing Practical Rifle for almost 6 years, and the entire time there has been this "sensed uneasiness" between PR and TCGC.
I am very grateful to Randy for running the show out there, without him I would shoot not even 1/2 as much as I do. The impression I have always gotten from the club is that we are the bastard stepchildren of the shooting world and we should be grateful to be allowed in there. ( that is my impression, mind you...no one has ever said those words to me) I have always wondered the same......for as big of a draw as PR gets, why is it treated the way that it is?
Maybe it's time for all of us to become members and vote out the current board.....
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:09:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2005 8:11:23 PM EDT by double_trouble_2003]

Originally Posted By Unka-Boo:
Maybe it's time for all of us to become members and vote out the current board.....

Clearly. If you're shooting Practical Rifle and NOT a member of TCGC, you should consider joining.
$120 p/year - that's $2.31 a week - Skip a Latte you're in!

I think it would be great for us to show that Practical Rifle not only draws bodies one Saturday a month - but also generate new, active members.

[rant]
I believe it's the Chardonnay, Crackers and O/U trap gun guys who are board members and give the Black Rifle a dismissive glance as being 'not a sport'.
[/rant]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:12:12 PM EDT
It's actually on my "2006" things to do list............with wife aproval no less....
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:56:41 PM EDT
is it really only $120 a year i thought it was a lot more i questioned it some time ago and seem to remember
them saying like $290 or somthing like that or is that with initiation fees or something

hell if it is only $120 i'll probably join even though they are quite the drive from me

also if you are a member is there a discount on the matches ?

Thanks

Bill
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:33:39 PM EDT
It's an additional $175 or so start-up fee tacked on to the $120 for the first year.

I've been thinking about joining. Douglas Ridge is closer to me and cheaper to. I just haven't been out there fo years to see what they have and there atmosphere.

Nox
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:06:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Noxspector:
It's an additional $175 or so start-up fee tacked on to the $120 for the first year.

I've been thinking about joining. Douglas Ridge is closer to me and cheaper to. I just haven't been out there fo years to see what they have and there atmosphere.

Nox

That and if I'm a member of TCGC and Nox is a member of Douglas Ridge, then we get the best of both worlds! Right buddy....?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:59:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Noxspector:
I've been thinking about joining. Douglas Ridge
Nox

I've done sight-in-days at Douglas Ridge - other than zip code, what do they have going on out there? Any tactical ranges?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:50:51 AM EDT
The trouble with TCGC is that with or without us they will be ok. We have no finacial or group power. Most people that are members and shoot PR would be members anyway as it is a great facility. This brings me back to a question I aske a couple months ago, where could PR go? What finacial offerings do we as a group have to offer another club?

Seems like we are always "one round" away from being kicked out. Shame really.
CH
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:31:22 AM EDT
Serve your year's membership and start working your way into the political arena of TCGC. The challenge is beating out what I would affectionately call the conservative "old fart o/u brigade". With members and weight of numbers for voting, you can achieve a lot.

Look at how the IPSC crowd appeared to stuff the vote for the Pistol Pit remodel vote. Ultimately, it is somewhat of a democracy run for the members.

Cheers
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:04:07 AM EDT
I'm a member and live minutes away, off Graham's Fry. I have watched and often though of participating in one of the trap shoots but believe this crowd is a bit 'high-brow' and don't think my 590 would fit in.

I shoot there a lot and almost every time I bring a black rifle and have never had even one negative comment on it.

It's a shame that I've been a member going on 3 years and have never shot in a PR match. I guess I don't get many Saturday's off
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:33:28 AM EDT
<dreams of owning a peice of land large enough for a PR range>
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:01:59 AM EDT
I just joined this summer. And I think every time I've been there except for once, I've run into someone on this board.

I've also seen the .22LR bolt-action suppressed, bunches of AR-15s, the guy who just bought his new tricked out AK, a guy who bought a Century G3 clone, only to find that his shoots about 9MOA...

One of these days I'm going to take my Saiga-12 over to the trap range. I have to learn to shoot trap first though.

So far I haven't been messed with at all. Even with me going prone and letting a full mag rip at the "legal limit" of 2 shots per second. I got one stare from the far end of the range, but that was all.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:39:08 PM EDT
I have never had an issue at TriCounty - wonder if it's just Urban Legend?

Do AR guys have a persecution complex? "it's 'the man', always keepen me down"

Clearly we've seen some evidence in this summers unfortunate email from a TCGC Board Member (asshat) to Randy.

I like the 'let's get organized' concept. If you aren't happy with your club, get involved and impose your will. It's got to be a lot cheaper to get the 50+ people who shoot this match to join and vote for Pro AR15 candidates, than start a new club. (until Cape Hunter wins that damn PowerBall)
Top Top