Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2011 2:01:37 PM EDT
These seem to be very popular, why? What am I missing out on?
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#1]
There are a couple very confusing things about this thread...
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#2]
They are cheap, in every sense of the word.

I do not own one but my dad does, here is what it's like to shoot one.
1. Too tall to fit in most gun safes
2. Don't hit the chandelier carrying it outside.
3. You will lose skin on your thumb loading it.
4. You will need a small hammer to cycle the bolt.
5. The trigger feels like dragging your ass on sandpaper, it's a little rough.
6. The recoil is not for the weak, it will leave a mark.
7. Get the small hammer to cycle the bolt again.

Typically 1 shot is enough to realize you should have spent the money on anything else, even as a down payment for a Judge.

Just my opinion.

Edit- for $69.95 I may have to get one, just because.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not trying to confuse anyone, they are wicked cheap so that makes me think I should own one or two. What other than price draws people to  be nagant nuts?
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They are cheap, in every sense of the word.

I do not own one but my dad does, here is what it's like to shoot one.
1. Too tall to fit in most gun safes
2. Don't hit the chandelier carrying it outside.
3. You will lose skin on your thumb loading it.
4. You will need a small hammer to cycle the bolt.
5. The trigger feels like dragging your ass on sandpaper, it's a little rough.
6. The recoil is not for the weak, it will leave a mark.
7. Get the small hammer to cycle the bolt again.

Typically 1 shot is enough to realize you should have spent the money on anything else, even as a down payment for a Judge.

Just my opinion.

Edit- for $69.95 I may have to get one, just because.

This is what I was looking for a  brutally honest answer. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#5]
its cheap, the ammo is cheap, its a neat gun for what it is, and it kicks like a mule. Whats not to like?
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not trying to confuse anyone, they are wicked cheap so that makes me think I should own one or two. What other than price draws people to  be nagant nuts?

I was more referring to the fact that this was posted in the MN HTF rather than one of the tech forums or General, which is made even more confusing by the fact that you appear to be from WI

ETA:  To offer my opinion:

1.  They're built like a tank
2.  They're dirt cheap
3.  Ammo is dirt cheap
4.  The 91/30 with a bayonet attached is capable of stabbing people two counties away
5.  The M38/M44 is possibly one of the handiest firearms I've ever used
6.  If they have a decent bore, they're actually pretty accurate, especially with good loads
7.  The muzzle blast is impressive
8.  If you really think the recoil is that bad, $70 can buy you a lot of sundresses at Wal-Mart
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 5:08:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I am tempted to get one as well. I guy i work with fits timney triggers into his and shoots  reduced powder loads . he has mainly the M44 he said if i get one he will give me a reworked trigger for it.  problem is i need a bigger safe
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Only real men and Russian women can handle such a weapon.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I consider the MN htf to be my htf, I grew up a mud duck and lived in MN most of my life. I posted the question here cause for the most part most of the guys in this forum seem to be decent and I figured I could get good info. I like what you guys have posted about  mosins they sound quirky and I can live with that, I like a firearm with a bit of character.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#10]
well lets see here, i bought a 91/30 for $69 bucks or so, did a little fine tuning to it, and in its original form ive gotten 3 shot groups at 100 yards as small as 0.850"

they are reliable as hell

if mine could talk, imagine the stories they could tell...

ammo is ~ $90-100 for 440 rounds

they come with bayonets and shoot out fireballs

whats not to like?
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#11]
read this to see how accurate a 91/30 can be with a little work and experimenting

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?198884-new-91-30-range-trip-i-should-have-taken-the-bayonet-with-me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I consider the MN htf to be my htf, I grew up a mud duck and lived in MN most of my life. I posted the question here cause for the most part most of the guys in this forum seem to be decent and I figured I could get good info. I like what you guys have posted about  mosins they sound quirky and I can live with that, I like a firearm with a bit of character.

Fair enough
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Nagants are just plain neat.  Old school construction methods - lots of wood or machined steel.  They are pieces of history.  They are dirt cheap, as is the ammo.  For the price, there really isn't anything to NOT like about them.  I have 5 or 6 right now I think.  Get one because they just don't make'em like that any more.

Link Posted: 2/26/2011 4:25:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 5:40:07 AM EDT
[#15]
How did they become so available at such a cheap price? There must of been thousands stored away for a long time then suddenly released to flood the market?
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 6:18:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How did they become so available at such a cheap price? There must of been thousands millions stored away for a long time then suddenly released to flood the market?

Fixed it for you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 7:00:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How did they become so available at such a cheap price? There must of been thousands stored away for a long time then suddenly released to flood the market?

I wonder what else is stored away that may become available soon?
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 7:50:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
These seem to be very popular, why? What am I missing out on?

You can get some funny but true answers if you look up Mosin vs. AK vs. AR
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 8:23:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

8. If you really think the recoil is that bad, $70 can buy you a lot of sundresses at Wal-Mart

Link Posted: 2/26/2011 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
8. If you really think the recoil is that bad, $70 can buy you a lot of sundresses at Wal-Mart

or use some of your maxipads, and stick them to your shoulder for padding
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#21]
It's a more interesting caliber than 7.62x39, but I already have a Norinco sks to feed and I'm trying to limit my calibers.  I think a Mosin Nagant and some sort of Dragunov would make a cool combination if I were really into the commie guns.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I think the bitter poster had one with a bad chamber.  They usually cycle like butter, better than a Mauser below zero.  They did that well in 43.  I have a G33/40 with a rough chamber and had to beat it against the bench to extract the brass.  Steel case helped a little as the case expands every so little once fired.  As for the Mosin, many started their lives at the turn of the last century and were refurbed after a revolution or two, WW2 and finally WW2.  My hex receiver is marked 1902, 1917 and referbed twice for sure.  Fun, cheap bit of history.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I love mine, my primary gun for winter shooting because I dont care about losing the brass.

cycles great, crisp trigger, well taken care of.

the only thing I have issues with is my desire to refinish the wood, its showing its age and it would look beautiful if refinished properly, on the other hand I dont want to strip off the dried nazi blood.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#24]

the only thing I have issues with is my desire to refinish the wood, its showing its age and it would look beautiful if refinished properly, on the other hand I dont want to strip off the dried nazi blood.

That's just as likely russian blood....  
Whether it's military or civilian is another story.

By the way didn't Einstein say something about WWIII being fought with sticks and stones and mosin nagants?
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's just as likely russian blood....  
Whether it's military or civilian is another story.

By the way didn't Einstein say something about WWIII being fought with sticks and stones and mosin nagants?

And awaaaaay we go.

ETA:  And Einstein quote fail.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 8:37:33 PM EDT
[#26]
its actually dirt + shellac.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Ok, I found a guy that has a mossin for sale but he lives in Minnesota and I'm in Wisconsin. Does he have to ship it to a ffl? Or is there different rules for curiosity and relics? I would love to do a ftf and he is willing( he's the kind of fella that scoffs at the rules) I prefer to play by the rules
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ok, I found a guy that has a mossin for sale but he lives in Minnesota and I'm in Wisconsin. Does he have to ship it to a ffl? Or is there different rules for curiosity and relics? I would love to do a ftf and he is willing( he's the kind of fella that scoffs at the rules) I prefer to play by the rules

You can find these things at Fleet Farm, Dicks, Cabelas etc. for $80-100.  Or just get a C&R and a copy of Shotgun News and buy one for cheaper than that.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can find these things at Fleet Farm, Dicks, Cabelas etc. for $80-100.  Or just get a C&R and a copy of Shotgun News and buy one for cheaper than that.

or better yet, make a run up to element arms.

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Dang,  The Nagants are just fun, fun, fun.   The M44's being a carbine are shorter, and include a hinged bayonet.  The M44 also does two things better than 91/30.  One, it kicks way harder than the 91/30.  Two, it shoots way more flame; like 2 feet worth of flame at dusk it brings a range to a stop.  
The 91/30's have more history behind them and seem to be more accurate than my M44.  The 91/30 is tough, ugly, accurate and reliable.  It is a multipurpose gun almost as cool as my Johnny Seven I had as a kid.  It's a rifle, a club, a sword, a spear and a flamethrower.  
If you buy at Fleet Farm ask to look at 3 of them, that is as many as they are supposed to show you per visit.  If you want one that has more history, and will do better in value look for a hex receiver.  Go for matching serial numbers all the way around if possible.  The earlier ones seem to have a better fit than the round receivers made in 1945.  Some of the later ones are really crude.  Shooting surplus ammo is VERY corrosive make sure you clean thoroughly.  

Good luck, but watch your shoulder.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:09:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Element would have been my first stop if I thought they could sell to a Wisconsin guy, I have been trying to find someone in Wisconsin with one for sale when I stumbled across a 91 30 in Minnesota. Now I just need to know how to buy it legally. Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:18:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Element would have been my first stop if I thought they could sell to a Wisconsin guy, I have been trying to find someone in Wisconsin with one for sale when I stumbled across a 91 30 in Minnesota. Now I just need to know how to buy it legally. Thanks for the help guys.

Just have to transfer it to a WI FFL.  It's really as simple as that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Is it not legal for residents of adjoining states to purchase directly?  I know we've dicussed this before in here...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Especially now that you've posted that your friend doesn't mind bending the law...you never know who is reading this thread!  Just use an FFL it's really not that difficult.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Well he's not a friend, just a guy I stumbled across. I will only do it legally and this guy doesn't want to bother with shipping so I will pass on his gun.
I did find an answer to my first question, a firearm built before 1899 is not considered a firearm by the federal government so no State line restrictions.

I wonder if that means a felon could buy an early mosin?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#37]
I've always wanted one but my major hesitation is that many are "counter bored." I don't really understand what this means. Does it impact accuracy? Should I be looking for one that isn't counter-bored? What is it?????
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've always wanted one but my major hesitation is that many are "counter bored." I don't really understand what this means. Does it impact accuracy? Should I be looking for one that isn't counter-bored? What is it?????

and how would I be able to tell if it is or is not counter bored?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

if the crown  / muzzle of the rifle were worn down, so bad that it effected accuracy, the Russians would ream / bore out the first inch or so of the muzzle to set a "New" crown an inch back into the barrel.
the last inch of the bore will be SMOOTH with no rifling and larger diameter than the rest of the bore

its often said that its better to have a rifle thats been counter bored, than to have a rifle that needs to be counter bored. sometimes it helps the accuracy, some times it doesnt, 50/50 chance.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well he's not a friend, just a guy I stumbled across. I will only do it legally and this guy doesn't want to bother with shipping so I will pass on his gun.
I did find an answer to my first question, a firearm built before 1899 is not considered a firearm by the federal government so no State line restrictions.

I wonder if that means a felon could buy an early mosin?

i think felons can buy a muzzle loader, but i dont know about antique ( pre 1899 ) rifles- since the mosin nagants still shoot a "cartridge"

but with the antique / pre 1899 rifles- you can have them shipped to your door with just a copy of your drivers license
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

It is no longer legal to buy guns outside of your own state of residence.  You can BUY the gun, but the FFL that sells it must send it to an FFL in your own home state to do the transfer.

cant you still buy a long gun in a border state through an FFL?

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#42]
I was pretty sure you could buy a long gun in WI with a MN DL.   I guess I never tried.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top