Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 12:13:29 PM EDT
What does ARFCOM think of Morgan Griffith's chances of defeating Rick Boucher for U.S. Congress this November?

http://morgangriffithforcongress.com/
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm calling it 50/50.  Boucher has a long-term incumbency in his favor, but I think anyone with a D next to their name needs to watch out this year.

The best thing Griffith can do to beat Boucher is link him endlessly to Obama.  Boucher voted against the Health Bill, which might save him, but he is a raging liberal socially.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#2]
The NRA is also backing Boucher.  When both candidates are equal in terms of gun rights they back the incumbent (Boucher in this case).  I've met Griffith and I hope he pulls it off.  He's a true working class family man who I'm confident won't let the Washington D.C. crowd corrupt his true conservative roots.

Issues
Morgan Griffith is a strong supporter of the values and principles that make Southwest Virginia strong. He will defend you and your constitutional freedoms from attacks by the forces of bigger, more expensive government in Washington.

Taxes
As Majority Leader in the House of Delegates, Morgan has led every fight against proposed tax increases for over a decade. He understands that higher taxes kill jobs, strain family budgets and result in bigger, more bloated government in Washington. As your Congressman, he will fight the Obama/Pelosi agenda of higher taxes.

Sanctity of Life
When it comes to protecting the right to life, no one works harder than Morgan Griffith. As a father, Morgan understands firsthand how precious innocent life is. Morgan has consistently defended innocent life while serving in the General Assembly. In the General Assembly, Morgan amassed a solid record of voting for the pro-life position according to the Virginia Society for Human Life and has carried and passed legislation on their behalf. He has earned VSHL’s endorsement in past elections, including his most recent campaign in 2009.

Gun Rights
Morgan is a solid supporter of your right to own and carry a firearm. He has consistently received “A” ratings from the National Rifle Association and he has been a leader in the House of Delegates in the fight to defend your rights against liberal gun-grabbers. He has led the effort to repeal many of the restrictions that Virginia imposed on law-abiding gun owners.

Jobs
Morgan will make job creation for Southwest Virginia his top priority as your next Congressman. He will help create new economic opportunities in the region by supporting tax cuts for businesses that create new jobs in our underserved rural areas. Morgan will also work to create other pro-jobs advantages that cause new businesses to come to the region or existing businesses to grow.
Health Care Reform
Morgan supports repealing the government takeover of healthcare that President Obama and Nancy Pelosi imposed on the country. As your Congressman, he will support efforts to repeal the healthcare plan, and he will seek to strip the federal budget of the funding needed to implement this scheme. He will also oppose the hiring of the proposed army of 16,500 new IRS agents that would enforce the new program’s mandates. Morgan supports market-based reforms that include allowing the purchase of coverage across state lines, encourage health savings accounts and that guarantee portability.

Cap and Trade
Morgan opposes the Obama/Pelosi/Boucher “cap and trade” scheme. Their program will result in massive job cuts in Southwest Virginia’s coal industry while raising electricity, gasoline, and heating prices for all consumers. He believes that it is reckless to pursue such an economically devastating plan in order to address a scientific theory—man-made global warming—that many scientists do not even believe is happening. Additionally, other governments around the world will not accept and/or follow cap and trade even if they believe global warming is occurring. That means American businesses and consumer would be all alone in paying these increased costs, putting us at a severe disadvantage when it comes to protecting existing jobs and creating new work opportunities.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:52:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The NRA would endorse Ho Chi Minh if he had a solid pro-gun voting record.

Griffith is a good man and my current state rep.  Our kids have played together, and I have eaten dinner with his family.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't live up there, but the cap and trade thing would seal it for me...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I listened to a radio interview with Butcher.  He is a true Global Warming believer.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Boucher will be though to beat down there.   If they had gotten him on the record voting for this cap and tax crap it would be easier.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I was at a parade recently when Morgan came up to me.  He has always made a point of speaking to me when I see him.  He shook my hand and started to offer me a flyer.  I told him to save it for someone that needed convincing.  When I told him he had my vote he understood and thanked me.   While he was standing there talking to me and the wife about our daughter, a worker from the Boucher campaign walked right up and interrupted asking if I wanted a sticker.  I guess she did not know who her candidate was running against, or she was so rude to interrupt people engaged in a conversation.  I know that Boucher does not pick his campaign workers but that did not sit well with me.  

Boucher has done several things over the years that has made me not trust him anymore.  He personally took credit for getting a grant for our FD when I worked my ass off writing the grant application.  He may have helped write the law that allows the grant to exist.  It was probably written by a staffer.   I do think the whole grant process is bullshit anyway.  Departments have enough crap to deal with then to sit around submitting grant applications.  Its more .gov to deal with.  

I agree that Morgan has a lot of work todo.  Boucher will have a fight on his hands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top