Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2006 2:11:48 PM EDT
1. The US military is all volunteer, how about the British military?
2. Do N. Ireland, Scotland and Wales have their own military?
3. Who is the commander in chief?
4. What is a Field Marshall?
5. Why do you say Leftanant(sp?) and we say Luitenant?( you say Poh-TAH-toe, we say poe-TAY-toe...)
6. Why did the Brits deem it necessary to defend Rouke's Drift considering they were out numbered about 100 to 1?
7. Why is Alfred the Great the only one to be called Great? who decides?
8. Is the queen, Queen Elizabeth the first? second? third...(how does that work?)
9. Why isn't the Queen's husband called a King?(Isn't a King's wife a queen?)
10. Does the Queen take the lastname of her husband?
11. What does the House of Lords do? Are they elected?
12. How does one become a knight? and what priviledges come with that?
13. Do fish and chips come wrapped in newspapers?
14. American girls go ga-ga over guys with English accents, do English girls go ga-ga over guys with American accents?

just a few questions on this rather boring afternoon...

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Only gonna answer a few, boredom also overtakes me.

1. Yes, all Volunteers.

2. No, they are all combined under 'British Armed Forces'.

13. Not Any more because of health and safety concerns over the ink getting into mouths. Now they make paper with pretend newsprint on it which doesn't come off and make black chips. Anyone who has had proper newspaper chips though will tell you those are the best tasting.

14. No, most English girls think Americans are pricks. Thats not me being mean, it's just common perception.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll take a couple:

4: Field Marshal is the highest rank in the British Army. The other services' equivalent ranks are Admiral of the Fleet and Marshal of the Royal Air Force. Officially they are never retired.

5: You say patato we say potato etc

6: Because it would not have been cricket to let the buggers win.

11: Lords make a lot of noise and tend to bollocks up parliaments decisions..

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:51:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Vito you have too much time on your hands!  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:07:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Vito you obviously know NOTHING about girls. Which is understandable given that you are married and old.

Young, pretty, 21 year old girls think Americans have silly accents and they MUCH prefer Geordies. FACT.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:18:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:23:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Vito you obviously know NOTHING about girls. Which is understandable given that you are married and old.

Young, pretty, 21 year old girls think Americans have silly accents and they MUCH prefer Geordies. FACT.

what are Geordies?

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:27:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:37:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
1. The US military is all volunteer, how about the British military?All voluntary
2. Do N. Ireland, Scotland and Wales have their own military?No, but they do have locally recruited regiments in the Army
3. Who is the commander in chief? Blair thinks he is, but the real CiC is the Chief of the Defence Staff, currently General Sir Michael Walker
4. What is a Field Marshall?Boss of the Army, equiv to a 5 Star General
        Monty out ranked Ike?
5. Why do you say Leftanant(sp?) and we say Luitenant?( you say Poh-TAH-toe, we say poe-TAY-toe...)We used to say it your way, but when King Charles II came back to the throne he spoke French so everyone Frenchified the English language to suck up to the King. American English is actually Shakespears English
6. Why did the Brits deem it necessary to defend Rouke's Drift considering they were out numbered about 100 to 1?Point of principle, and two defeats in a day looks bad in the papers
7. Why is Alfred the Great the only one to be called Great? who decides?Because he was Great, he beat off the Viking hordes and started the whole Britain thing going.. history decides. Blair will be known as Tony the Dickhead in 100 years time...
8. Is the queen, Queen Elizabeth the first? second? third...(how does that work?)Queen Elizabeth II, if she had a daughter called Elizabeth who became Queen she would have been Queen Elizabeth III. Prince Charles will become King Charles III. Charles I & II were useless dickheads so no change there...
     Does that apply only to namesakes within the same dynasty? If I recall Charles I & II go back several centuries, Plantagenant Kings I believe
9. Why isn't the Queen's husband called a King?(Isn't a King's wife a queen?)He's a forriner, (he's Greek) so he can't become King, if he was British he would have been King Philip.
   Wasn't King George II a German?
10. Does the Queen take the lastname of her husband?No, all the Royal Family use the surname Windsor.
11. What does the House of Lords do? Are they elected?Born into the job or appointed as a Lord for sucking up to the .Gov, or being a Bishop gets you into the House of Lords
12. How does one become a knight? and what priviledges come with that?Valuable services to the Crown and country. People call you 'Sir' and you get a fancy title like Lord Bart of Springfield
  A title sounds like a good chick magnet
13. Do fish and chips come wrapped in newspapers?Health and Safety Nazis banned that...
    Nice to know that when a chimney sweep is done for the day, he call relax with his ink-free fish and chips.
14. American girls go ga-ga over guys with English accents, do English girls go ga-ga over guys with American accents?Yes!... (ignore elucidate, he even hates himself..
     Have you ever used your Accent-powers on some American girl for immoral purposes?

just a few questions on this rather boring afternoon...

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
1. The US military is all volunteer, how about the British military?

The same.

2. Do N. Ireland, Scotland and Wales have their own military?

No

3. Who is the commander in chief?

The Queen

4. What is a Field Marshall?

see Bunnyassassin's and Vito's reply above.

5. Why do you say Leftanant(sp?) and we say Luitenant?( you say Poh-TAH-toe, we say poe-TAY-toe...)

We stole the word first, you stole it second, so I guess we're less wrong than you on the pronounciation, or maybe you got it right and we got it wrong, who cares?

6. Why did the Brits deem it necessary to defend Rouke's Drift considering they were out numbered about 100 to 1?

If we keep trying we eventually win,

7. Why is Alfred the Great the only one to be called Great? who decides?

Don't know

8. Is the queen, Queen Elizabeth the first? second? third...(how does that work?)

by Vito: Queen Elizabeth II, if she had a daughter called Elizabeth who became Queen she would have been Queen Elizabeth III. Prince Charles will become King Charles III. Charles I & II were useless dickheads so no change there...

Prince Charles won't be King Charles III as all the King Charles have had bad luck (all died horribly). Can't remember what (or who) he'll be but he wants to change his name (I think it might be Alfred something or other).

9. Why isn't the Queen's husband called a King?(Isn't a King's wife a queen?)

because a king out ranks a queen and that wouldn't do. Nothing to do with him being a foreigner, most of our kings have been foreign ever since William the Conquerer (and I think Alfred the Great was French - but from a part of France that we owned) Philip is Prince Consort (Queen's No 2)

10. Does the Queen take the lastname of her husband?

The Queen's family sirname was Battenberg, but that was too German (at a time when the Germans were not too popular over here) so thay changed it to Mount Batten, and then Windsor when her father became King

11. What does the House of Lords do? Are they elected?

I ask myself that question every day, but they are a thorn in Tony's side, so good on 'em.

12. How does one become a knight? and what priviledges come with that?

see above, plus extended sporting prowess, and service to the sports etc

13. Do fish and chips come wrapped in newspapers?

not any more as it's deemed too unhygenic

14. American girls go ga-ga over guys with English accents, do English girls go ga-ga over guys with American accents?

Yes on both accounts. I've lost count of the times that a receptionist of an American Company keeps talking to me when all I want to do is speak to the sales dept. "I just love your accent, are you from Australia... Oh you're from England, is that near Europe?" - Doh! It happened, Brownell's receptionist.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Hang on hang on.

We all know thay the American girls love the british accent.

SHOW ME an english girl that loves the american guys accent. I dare you. Find one. It'll be hard...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hang on hang on.

We all know thay the American girls love the british accent.

SHOW ME an english girl that loves the american guys accent. I dare you. Find one. It'll be hard...

I guess English girls prefer the French accent. Me, I like Trailer Park southern.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Ahhhh the Battenburgs
I remember them well

They make a loverly cake......

Very nice with a cup'o'tea

Taffy
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'll take a couple:

4: Field Marshal is the highest rank in the British Army. The other services' equivalent ranks are Admiral of the Fleet and Marshal of the Royal Air Force. Officially they are never retired.

Could you define "cricket" in this context?  I'm assuming it means "proper," "reasonable," or "logical".
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

7. Why is Alfred the Great the only one to be called Great? who decides?Because he was Great, he beat off the Viking hordes and started the whole Britain thing going.. history decides. Blair will be known as Tony the Dickhead in 100 years time...

<snip>

What about Tony the [Paper] Tiger?

I don't know if cold breakfast cereals are big in the U.K., but it's a reference to Frosted Flakes cereal (cold link: http://www.kelloggs.com/brand/ttt/flash.html)
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

14. American girls go ga-ga over guys with English accents, do English girls go ga-ga over guys with American accents?Yes!... (ignore elucidate, he even hates himself..

<snip>

Really?!?  Because I've always dug girls with (proper and naughty) English accents!  I almost hooked up with one on my first day of college, but we got interrupted.  She left to go back across the pond the next day.

Alas, being married now will probably put a damper on any present/future hankerings with proper British lasses!

(but the improper ones might still give me a chance! )
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'll take a couple:

Could you define "cricket" in this context?  I'm assuming it means "proper," "reasonable," or "logical".

Correct!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

<snip>

What about Tony the [Paper] Tiger?

I don't know if cold breakfast cereals are big in the U.K., but it's a reference to Frosted Flakes cereal (cold link: http://www.kelloggs.com/brand/ttt/flash.html)

Cold milk and cereal, very popular!

Blair is nothing more than a Neo-Stalinist. I cannot understand why the majority of the US Population worship someone who is somewhere to the left of Joseph Stalin.

ANdy

Don't sweat it.  I can't understand why the majority of the US population does the majority of what it does, unless a diagnosis of "acute leftism" could be termed "an understanding".
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Ahhhh the Battenburgs
I remember them well

They make a loverly cake......

Very nice with a cup'o'tea

Taffy

Is that tea hot or cold?  Sweet or not?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top