Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2008 4:50:38 AM EDT
Some of us Indiana boys are coming to the state park to do some fly fishing and camping.  We will be looking for things to do and last time our trip was cut short and couldn't find somethings.  Is there an old mental hospital around there someplace?  Also what else is there to do?  Are there any ranges?  Help a visitor out.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, there is the remains of an old hospital on the Current river downstream from there at a place called Welch Spring.  Its mainly just some stone ruins with a huge spring and a cave (Its gated.)  Very scenic though!  The Current river is an excellent place for a float trip for a days outdoor fun.

Welch Spring

Current River
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Definitely should go on a float trip. Plan your trip for the middle of the week to avoid crowds.

Also, just a few miles from Montauk is THIS PLACE. If nothing else, you should stop by for a bbq sandwich.

But you really should go floating. Bring your fly rod with you. Fishing for bass and sun fish out of a canoe with a fly rod is a lot of fun . . .
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Definitely should go on a float trip. Plan your trip for the middle of the week to avoid crowds.

Also, just a few miles from Montauk is THIS PLACE. If nothing else, you should stop by for a bbq sandwich.

But you really should go floating. Bring your fly rod with you. Fishing for bass and sun fish out of a canoe with a fly rod is a lot of fun . . .

Yes, but the Current river is also an excellent trout stream!  I have caught a lot of nice rainbow and brown trout out of that stream!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Guess where I will be tomorrow morning. Going on a scouting trip for a Missouri "Fish-In" in the name of FAOL  http://www.flyanglersonline.com with a fishing buddy. Going to be at the spring early in a white Ranger if anyone wants to say hello.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Guess where I will be tomorrow morning. Going on a scouting trip for a Missouri "Fish-In" in the name of FAOL  http://www.flyanglersonline.com with a fishing buddy. Going to be at the spring early in a white Ranger if anyone wants to say hello.

Hope you guys have a good trip.  Me and my buddy would put our canoe in at Inman Hollow and pull it upstream to the edge of Montauk park.  We would camp there for the night on the river and float down to Akers Ferry for the next two or three days.  We fished every bit of the river and had a lot of success.  Theres a lot of big trout in the river.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:15:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Well we are back from our fishing weekend and had a blast.  We ended up camping at the park and fished when the sirens went off and finished when they went back off.  Great place to fish, we caught quite a few rainbows in the park and then went down to Tan Vat and Baptist Landing without bringing anything back but those fish were fighters outside the park.  We did make it to the old hospital and found our way back to the water.  Thanks for all the info....we'll be back in October!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#7]
The old building is the remains of a health spa of sorts, not a mental hospital.  
Also, the Current River is a great canoe trip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top