Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 7/7/2010 9:30:59 PM EDT
Compare Montana to Texas please.

My wife want to move there because it has four seasons. What should I expect if I move there?
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

My wife want to move there because it has four seasons. What should I expect if I move there?

2 Seasons: Winter & Summer.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 4:02:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

correction....winter and construction

You'll have 4 seasons.  Some are shorter than the others.  In fact, sometimes you'll just plain miss them.  WAY higher terrain than you have in TX.  Less humidity depending on what part of TX you're in. WAY more room to hunt from what I'm told but less "hunting leases"....you have to go find your spot.  Less creepy/crawly/biting critters.  More big furry/scratchy/biting critters.  What else do you want comparisons on?
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 5:07:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'll have 4 seasons.  Some are shorter than the others.  In fact, sometimes you'll just plain miss them.  WAY higher terrain than you have in TX.  Less humidity depending on what part of TX you're in. WAY more room to hunt from what I'm told but less "hunting leases"....you have to go find your spot.  Less creepy/crawly/biting critters.  More big furry/scratchy/biting critters.  What else do you want comparisons on?

Dont forget FIRE season

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 6:25:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dont forget FIRE season

that  happens in the middle of construction season
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 7:13:35 AM EDT
[#5]
How's the economy, jobs, gun laws,(NFA friendly?) etc?
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Tag for your wife's first winter in Montana.  

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 7:38:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tag for your wife's first winter in Montana.  

No shit
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

economy: BAD.  10-13% unemployment in the NW. not sure about the exact numbers for the rest of the state, but i doubt it's a whole lot better

gun laws: good.  shall issue ccw, open carry permitted everywhere but mining camps, banks, and i believe schools.

nfa: full auto and suppressors are good to go
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 11:28:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

economy: BAD.  10-13% unemployment in the NW. not sure about the exact numbers for the rest of the state, but i doubt it's a whole lot better

gun laws: good.  shall issue ccw, open carry permitted everywhere but mining camps, banks, and i believe schools.

Wrong, no CCW in mining camps/lumber camps, banks, schools, buildings owned or leased by the Federal, state or local .gov, and bars or restaurants that serve alcohol. OC is ALLOWED in banks, bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong, no CCW in mining camps/lumber camps, banks, schools, buildings owned or leased by the Federal, state or local .gov, and bars or restaurants that serve alcohol. OC is ALLOWED in banks, bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.

thanks for the correction.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem, I OC in both my banks at all times, only once was there even a hint of a problem from a State trooper who did not know it was legal. The bank MGR. set him straight on the OC in banks law
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem, I OC in both my banks at all times, only once was there even a hint of a problem from a State trooper who did not know it was legal. The bank MGR. set him straight on the OC in banks law

lol, that's great!
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Montana has long winters, low wages and lots of beautiful country.  There's a great quality of life to be had here, but it comes at a financial cost.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#14]
And if you hurry, your family can get in on this little gem!

July 12, 2010
The Helena, MT Plan for K-12 Sex Ed
Phil Boehmke
The Helena Montana Public School System is weighing the adoption of a new health curriculum which details a disturbing sex education program. The proposed "Human Sexuality" teaching guidelines have aroused the community and should make for a lively debate at this Tuesday's school board meeting.

KRTV has provided a link to the lengthy PDF which presents the entire health curriculum as proposed by the district. Pages 45-50 contain the "Human Sexuality" curriculum which has sparked the controversy.

Grade 1

[...]

Understanding human beings can love people of the same gender & people of another gender.

[...]

Grade 2

[...]

Understanding making fun of people by calling them gay (e.g. "homo," "fag," queer") is disrespectful and hurtful.

Grade 3

[...]

Understand media often presents an unrealistic image of what it means to be male or female, what it means to be in love & what parenthood & marriages are like.

[...]

Grade 5

Understanding that sexual intercourse includes but is not limited to vaginal, oral, or anal penetration.

Understanding sexual orientation refers to a person's physical and/or romantic attraction to an individual of the same and/or different gender, and is part of ones' personality.

[...]

Grade 6

[...]

Understand gender identity is different from sexual orientation.

Understand the media usually does not portray sexuality realistically.

[...]

Grade 7

[...]

Discuss the Supreme Court decision that has ruled that, to a certain extent, people have the right to make personal decisions concerning sexuality & reproductive health matters, such as abortion, sterilization and contraception.

[...]

Grades 9-12

[...]

Understand erotic images in art reflect society's views about sexuality & help people understand sexuality.

[...]

Understand sexual orientation is determined by a variety of factors.

The new curriculum seeks to instruct the children that the "media often presents an unrealistic image of what it means to be male or female." Liberals are trying to make sure that in the event that the kids should happen to see any traditional gender roles on TV (most likely in re-runs) they will not be influenced to emulate normal behavior.

Under the proposed sex-ed program, children in the 7th grade would be taught about such subjects as "abortion, sterilization and contraception," under the guise of a "discussion" of relevant Supreme Court decisions.

The lesson here is that parents must pay very close attention to what their children are being taught in school and they must not be afraid to stand up and be heard.

WTF is going on here?
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

July 12, 2010
Phil Boehmke
The Helena Montana Public School System is weighing the adoption of a new health curriculum which details a disturbing sex education program. The proposed "Human Sexuality" teaching guidelines have aroused the community and should make for a lively debate at this Tuesday's school board meeting.

KRTV has provided a link to the lengthy PDF which presents the entire health curriculum as proposed by the district. Pages 45-50 contain the "Human Sexuality" curriculum which has sparked the controversy.

Grade 1

[...]

Understanding human beings can love people of the same gender & people of another gender.

[...]

Grade 2

[...]

Understanding making fun of people by calling them gay (e.g. "homo," "fag," queer") is disrespectful and hurtful.

Grade 3

[...]

Understand media often presents an unrealistic image of what it means to be male or female, what it means to be in love & what parenthood & marriages are like.

[...]

Grade 5

Understanding that sexual intercourse includes but is not limited to vaginal, oral, or anal penetration.

Understanding sexual orientation refers to a person's physical and/or romantic attraction to an individual of the same and/or different gender, and is part of ones' personality.

[...]

Grade 6

[...]

[...]

Grade 7

[...]

Discuss the Supreme Court decision that has ruled that, to a certain extent, people have the right to make personal decisions concerning sexuality & reproductive health matters, such as abortion, sterilization and contraception.

[...]

Grades 9-12

[...]

Understand erotic images in art reflect society's views about sexuality & help people understand sexuality.

[...]

The new curriculum seeks to instruct the children that the "media often presents an unrealistic image of what it means to be male or female." Liberals are trying to make sure that in the event that the kids should happen to see any traditional gender roles on TV (most likely in re-runs) they will not be influenced to emulate normal behavior.

Under the proposed sex-ed program, children in the 7th grade would be taught about such subjects as "abortion, sterilization and contraception," under the guise of a "discussion" of relevant Supreme Court decisions.

The lesson here is that parents must pay very close attention to what their children are being taught in school and they must not be afraid to stand up and be heard.

WTF is going on here?

Overrun with yuppies.
Montana is getting bad with them and just wait your state is next in their plan.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The proposed "Human Sexuality" teaching guidelines have aroused the community

oh has it ever!!
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

July 12, 2010
Phil Boehmke

Grade 1

[...]

[...]

Grade 2

[...]

Grade 3

[...]

[...]

Grade 5

[...]

Grade 6

[...]

[...]

Grade 7

[...]

[...]

Grades 9-12

[...]

[...]

WTF is going on here?

I may just have to stay where I'm at and teach my children what I want them to know.

My wife just thinks she wants to move. I can't see uprooting the family so she can have long winters and low employment rates. I know unemployment rates are going to be like that everywhere when "the One" is done. I would like to go and see your state on vacation.

Thanks for the responses.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#18]
NW Montana is best IMO.
However plan to not see the sun for a looong time during winter.
Kalispell, MT was my home but the missus could not handle the long winters...

You guys need to visit in Jan/ Feb
Summer starts in late June and is gone mid September...
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top