Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 4:11:49 PM EDT
Doorley's announcement Thursday that she is leaving the Democratic Party to join the Republicans in her bid for a second term this fall surprised many in local political circles. Her decision was a high-profile defection for Democrats, and it left some of the GOP party faithful crowing.

Doorley offered few specifics about the reasons for her switch. She cast it as a choice that would allow her to focus on her work "in an environment where my work is valued and supported."

She also said she made the move after reflecting on her values and her last three years as DA, and deciding that the GOP was a better fit.

Doorley's move comes at a time of transition for county Democrats.

Assembly Majority Leader Joseph Morelle, D-Irondequoit, stepped down from his role as party chairman last year. Party members chose Garretson, who had been Democratic town leader in Greece, as their new chairman last fall, and he spoke at the time about trying to get divided factions of the party to focus on their common values.

Soon thereafter, November elections left local Democrats little to celebrate, with Sen. Ted O'Brien losing to Republican Rich Funke and Rep. Louise Slaughter, D-Fairport, eking out a narrow victory over Republican Gates Supervisor Mark Assini.

Conservative Party Chairman Tom Cook, meanwhile, said he supports Doorley's bid for re-election as a Republican.
View Quote

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2015/01/15/sandra-doorley-district-attorney-switch-political-parties-democrat-republican-monroe-county/21814631/
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Another rino or antiSAFE?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems like a good opportunity to me!

Maybe someone can pen a well written letter to her office  applauding her decision to join the right side, but that if she wants to wear the team colors, she has to play for our side all the way; we feel really strongly about FUCK THE SAFE ACT, and please remember that when it comes election season; so will we.

Then everyone can print/sign it and mail it out to her office.

A few mail sacks of these might get noticed by her staff.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Bullshit "what's in it for her"?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#4]
She has blown some high profile cases over the past few years and this is no plum for the Republicans.  They should not have let her in.  She switched to deflect what would have been a strong challenge to her reelection.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another rino or antiSAFE?
View Quote

I don't think she is anti-SAFE unless she just saw the light this week.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#6]
With Astorino having won Monroe County, Doorley knows which team she wants to be on in the near future to assure her job.  

Typical opportunist politician.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
With Astorino having won Monroe County, Doorley knows which team she wants to be on in the near future to assure her job.  

Typical opportunist politician.
View Quote

She was originally a Republican--just like her predecessors Mike Green and Howard Relin.It's my understanding that both of her predecessors switch to Democrat due to local political pressures.

Who cares about Astorino in Monroe County?  Louise Slaughter almost lost to a no-name candidate.  The writing is on the wall for the Democrats in Monroe County.

The reality is that party affiliation has very little to do political beliefs. Some of the softest bleeding heart judges are "Republicans."
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#8]
New R's are the old D's.

New D's are the old S's.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Is there really even a difference in NY?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I've never understood the party system. Once you're in politics you shouldn't be allowed to switch parties unless the party you're joining okays it. (So you don't get Bloomberg shit.). As well,mine party should have the ability to eject anyone who isn't following the parties ideals.
Of course in this day and age....
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
New R's are the old D's.
New D's are the old S's.

View Quote

All of them can S my D.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've never understood the party system. Once you're in politics you shouldn't be allowed to switch parties unless the party you're joining okays it. (So you don't get Bloomberg shit.). As well,mine party should have the ability to eject anyone who isn't following the parties ideals.
View Quote

I disagree.  Your party leaders rarely share your ideals--do you really want them deciding who gets to run?.  Often, it's about the power struggles between party leaders and those that want to get elected.  Some people don't want to feel beholden to a party leader--they don't want to kiss the king's ring in order to run.

We've had several local politicians get elected despite the will of the party leaders through primaries (e.g. Rochester Mayor / City Court Judge).  While I may not support the out comes of those specific examples, I think it is a good thing in the end.  Local politics are a mess.  IMHO, I think the party leaders should have less say.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I disagree.  Your party leaders rarely share your ideals--do you really want them deciding who gets to run?.  Often, it's about the power struggles between party leaders and those that want to get elected.  Some people don't want to feel beholden to a party leader--they don't want to kiss the king's ring in order to run.

We've had several local politicians get elected despite the will of the party leaders through primaries (e.g. Rochester Mayor / City Court Judge).  While I may not support the out comes of those specific examples, I think it is a good thing in the end.  Local politics are a mess.  IMHO, I think the party leaders should have less say.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Party leaders fancy themselves as "King makers", the hand inside the puppet, and to a largely unknown degree they are. Instead of finding who's most qualified, it's who's most electable, and look what that's gotten us.....
Then there is the issue of Government leadership being a "Family business"; Have you ever noticed the long time businesses that suddenly fail once the original owner hands it over to the kids?  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Doorley was a safe act cheerleader for cuomo. I will pass this line at the ballot box.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top