Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2009 7:03:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanx for the pics. Any time to cap off some rounds?
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Great pics as usual Paul!. I love getting out to the desert but have not been able to for awhile. I do look forward to your posts.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:41:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Is that the ford across the Mojave River at the Afton Canyon  campground?  I don't think I've ever been there when there wasn't about 15" or more water in there.  Never less than that.  The other fords later on are the ones that give you an idea how much water is under there.  Only once have I seen water all the way down to bridges at the far end of the canyon.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 5:23:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice LCI water cans

Oh,  Nevermind.  You're retired Mil.

In the I.E............

.........ED
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 7:07:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Paul if I'm not mistaken  but I believe you took over Huell Howser's job for California Gold .

Always looking forward to your scenic postings.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:12:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice LCI water cans

Oh,  Nevermind.  You're retired Mil.

In the I.E............

.........ED

I bought those fair and square here a couple of years ago and have the receipt to prove it. They're manufactured up in Canada and apparently the company didn't know/care about CARB regulations. They are marked "For US Military Use Only" but I figure they're going to have a tough time proving that they paid for them ... and marking them such doesn't make them theirs.

CARB regulations don't match with my personal experence. I have one non-CARB can and it's nothing short of a pain in the butt to get fuel out of. I end up with gas all over the truck, tire, and some times myself. With the non-CARB jerry can I simply unbolt the things, stand them up right on the roof and use a Super Siphon to drain the gas out. When I'm done I milk the $2-$5 gas very carefully out of the tube so to get every last drop of the stuff were it belongs. Over all the amount of fumes create is about one tenth of that created with a CARB can. There is no law prohibiting the possession or use of the non-CARB cans (yet).

I have no use for this worthless group of extortionists.

This also applies to sierra club, center for biological diversity, greenpeace & the epa (environmental pollution agency).

ED
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that the ford across the Mojave River at the Afton Canyon  campground?  I don't think I've ever been there when there wasn't about 15" or more water in there.  Never less than that.  The other fords later on are the ones that give you an idea how much water is under there.  Only once have I seen water all the way down to bridges at the far end of the canyon.

The water was knee deep based on one guy who waded across to come get me to rescue him.

His VW mini-van died on the far side and didn't think triple A could/would cross the river with a flat bed to rescue him. I couldn't even feel the van on the end of the tow line as I pulled him across. There wasn't water at the last bridge but was at the second to last.

The first time I was out there, the posts were not in place and the ford was a bit of a by guess or by golly location.  IIRC it was a November and there was still about a half inch of ice around the edges where it hadn't been broken up by the vehicles.  There were several vehicles there trying to decide just where to go and how deep it really was.  The ice was an indicator that most used to decide NOT to wade out and find out. A sand rail came out the other way and slowed down and the driver said, "There's only about 6" of water in there."   And came on through, turns out there was about a foot and a half, several inches above his seat and the seat of the buggy.  "He did in fact confirm that it was in fact ice and not chunks of glass floating out there.

For you guys that have never been out to Afton Canyon, that portion of the road is used by the UPRR for service vehicles so it is almost always in good shape.  And with the exception of that ford can usually be traversed by street vehicles.  In the summer when the ford is at it's shallowest most decent clearance 2 wheel drive vehicles can head out into the canyon.  The second forward is usually much shallower. and often dry.  I wouldn't however go out in the river bed at any time without at least one support vehicle to help you get out of the sand and gravel.  It might not be real quicksand, but it comes about as close as you will find in some areas.  It's not that far out of Barstow on I-15 on the way to Vegas.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey Paul I would like to take trip like that is there any info you can give me as far as maps or gps locations go??? And also do you think i would need 4wheel drive or will my silverado with a good set of BFG AT'S work???
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Afton Canyon is about the third or fourth off-ramp after Yermo on I-15 north from Barstow toward Las Vegas.    You should have no problems with your truck out to the end of the canyon with your truck, you can probably then get back to I-15 either on Basin Road, or out via the Rasor Rd Off-Highway vehicle area.  The operative word there is "probably"  it would have been a piece of cake the last few times I was out there but that was a few years ago.  If you Google Maps "Afton Canyon" it goes to the Afton Canyon "station on the RR.  (There is nothing there anymore).  but if you web Google Afton Canyon, you'll get several good links.

Another place you definitely can go out there is Rainbow Basin  National Natural Landmark.  North of Barstow along Ft. Irwin Rd., to Fossil Bed Rd, and then west to Rainbow Basin Rd.

The signs say no trailers or RVs.  A very very good driver might be able to do it, if you can navigate in very crowded parking lots.  But regular vehicles can make it.

Street tires may make it but ATs are good to go.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 2:38:41 AM EDT
[#14]
That is one of the few things I really love about CA, the scenery.  CA is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to, it just sucks that it is populated by a ton of morons.  

One of the most fun times I have had there, in the 6 or so times I have been, riding quads around this

And then skiing down this
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice Xterra, Paul.  I am an active member of Souther California Land Rovers, and I appreciate a well set up rig.  Yours looks great, and great pics.  Maybe I will see you out on the trail someday.  I would recognize your truck and will say "HI" if I do.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Love the pics. You have inspired me to take a trip to do the Mojave Road in the next couple of months.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:39:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:10:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Love the pics. You have inspired me to take a trip to do the Mojave Road in the next couple of months.

You'll want to do that trip in April as it gets WAY hot out there come summertime - killer hot in fact.

I'm hoping towards the end of april or may at the  latest. Any later and I will wait till fall. Last year some guys from work and I went on a overnight trip to the calico mnt. area ........... in july. yeah, it a tad bit warm at 110 all day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top