Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 2:57:41 AM EDT
This might be the wrong place to post this topic, but I thought I'd give it a go.

Can anyone tell me whether these guns are built to take the hottest 44 loads?  I've heard they cannot.

Also, what have you heard about Winchester vs. Marlin?  Which may be a better gun?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:16:59 AM EDT
[#1]
By hottest load do you mean factory loaded +p type? If so, yes they will shoot +p without probems. OR do you mean WECSOG hot rodded maxed out buffalo killing loads made on the reloading press that you just got for Christmas? If your reloading, my advice is to start low and work your way up, watching for pressure signs on the brass.
FWIW, I like the Marlins.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
By hottest load do you mean factory loaded +p type? If so, yes they will shoot +p without probems. OR do you mean WECSOG hot rodded maxed out buffalo killing loads made on the reloading press that you just got for Christmas? If your reloading, my advice is to start low and work your way up, watching for pressure signs on the brass.
FWIW, I like the Marlins.

What Slacker said.
GLOCK-23
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 I like the Marlins also, I like the action and to me they have a better fit
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:50:51 AM EDT
[#4]
They are all built to handle factory loads, and probably a little more as all manufacturers have to build their product with a safety margin. For me, going over what I get from a factory load, in properly built handloads is fine. If you go over that you had better be watching for any signs of pressure. You are, after all, using a handgun cartridge.

-The Ruger is reliable but I don't care for the look.
-The Winchester action had a rough spot during the ejection.
 This probably would have smoothed itself out after 300-500 rounds though.
-The Marlin fit me the best and the action was smooth all the way through.

Have Fun!
Terry in NC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top